AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2011-10-10, 20:27   Link #341
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I am in basic agreement with you. I do not believe we need a complete retelling of the story either. Perhaps the word remake is not the right word to use. Rather, I am looking for an update.

The Gundam Zeta movies went through an extensive update. The end result was not perfect, as it was not a complete update but a mixture of new and old. Nonetheless, it pleased the eye.

- Tak
What if they did a kind of "Gundam Evolve" series of shorts or something...?
Old 2011-10-10, 21:18   Link #342
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
What if they did a kind of "Gundam Evolve" series of shorts or something...?
That works, but for Protoculture's sake, how about longer than 5 minutes?

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 23:27   Link #343
wisteria233

Quote:
That works, but for Protoculture's sake, how about longer than 5 minutes?

- Tak
Like flashback 2012?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 23:33   Link #344
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Like flashback 2012?
I demand 30 minutes of non-stop battle symphony!

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2011-10-10, 23:41   Link #345
wisteria233

Quote:
I demand 30 minutes of non-stop battle symphony!

- Tak
Don't we all?
Old 2011-10-11, 03:08   Link #346
magnuskn

Oh, yeah, welcome back, Tak. ^^
Old 2011-10-11, 09:53   Link #347
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I just did MY re-watch of SDF-1, the original (and the later dubbed one in the US) on Hulu; so I remember that he didn't. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered to watch the original English dub; it confused me and knocked me off the plot at times.
Huh...? Are you talking about Robotech...?
Old 2011-10-11, 10:39   Link #348
wisteria233

Quote:
I just did MY re-watch of SDF-1, the original (and the later dubbed one in the US) on Hulu; so I remember that he didn't. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered to watch the original English dub; it confused me and knocked me off the plot at times.
sweetie Robotech is legally considered a totally different series.
Old 2011-10-11, 10:43   Link #349
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
sweetie Robotech is legally considered a totally different series.
One that totally sucks, no less.
Old 2011-10-11, 10:47   Link #350
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
One that totally sucks, no less.
I don't think she can tell the difference, considering she claimed the Vajra & Zentradi look the same.

- Tak

Old 2011-10-11, 11:30   Link #351
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
I don't think she can tell the difference, considering she claimed the Vajra & Zentradi look the same.

- Tak
Ummm...as loathe as I am to defend LMK, she's kinda right, in a way (though maybe not the way she intended)...the Red Vajra do look an awful lot like like Kamujin's Glauj...and the two-legged Ai-kun types look like Regulds...

...I figure this was intentional, to show just HOW MUCH the Protoculture revered the Vajra...
Old 2011-10-11, 12:03   Link #352
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Ummm...as loathe as I am to defend LMK, she's kinda right, in a way (though maybe not the way she intended)...the Red Vajra do look an awful lot like like Kamujin's Glauj...and the two-legged Ai-kun types look like Regulds...
Except she was referring to the Queadluuns

Her basis for comparison? Two legs, two arms, direct quote!

- Tak

Old 2011-10-11, 12:07   Link #353
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Huh...? Are you talking about Robotech...?
No, there were two different versions, both licensed by different companies.
1998 - 2000 = Robotech by MangaEntertainment
2002 - 2004 = Super Dimension Fortress Macross by ADV

There were definite differences between the two dubs. I like the later one better.

On another notation, check out ADV's dub of SDF; it's better: http://www.hulu.com/super-dimension-fortress-macross

They also have Macross Plus there if you're interested. A few commercials but it beats downloading it, ne?

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 04:25. Reason: Frontier shit removed, corrected information
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 12:20   Link #354
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
No, there were two different versions, both licensed by different companies.
1998 - 2000 = Robotech by MangaEntertainment
2002 - 2004 = Super Dimension Fortress Macross by Content Media Corporation
I was more familiar with Robotech, but then I saw on Hulu that they had the original dubbed by a different company and decided to watch it there. CMC is a better dub. They grabbed Minmei's original actor and had her do the English version as well. She's much less of a whiny bitch in this version and says his name correctly. Also, all of Minmei's songs remain the same as in the Japanese instead of the new vocals in Robotech (where she only seemed to know only My Boyfriend is a Pilot).
Umm...as far as dubs go, there's Robotech...and there's the 2004 ADV dub. If you're talking about subs, there's the 2000 AnimEigo version, and the 2004 ADV version.

That's it. Really.

Quote:
There were definite differences between the two dubs. I like the later one better.
The ADV dub is definitely more faithful...

Quote:
I just, before now, didn't see it on Hulu. They also have Robotech there and Macross Plus too, if you're interested.
Been there, done that. Wore the T-shirt, built the models, bought the VHS tapes, bought the DVDs, subbed the episodes, read the novels...you name it, I've done it.

Quote:
They mostly put up English dubs, but there are some subtitled anime there. I prefer AnimeHere to watch new shows now.
Okay...

Quote:
I understood that after watching CMC's dub. They followed the original storyline whilst Robotech gave new scenes and cut down a LOT of the information needed. Its plot was the opposite of the original SDF. One thing I noticed that was very different was how MangaEntertainment had characters say their lines but they were off in the subtitled version; this was corrected by CMC that re-dubbed the series with Minmei's original actress, who understood Minmei's lines, so everyone's lines came out like they SHOULD have.
Ah...by "CMC," you mean "ADV." Gotcha.

Quote:
I think Tak misunderstood me, Yot-chan.

In Ep.2, when that Vajra appeared at the end, we see it stand tall (or floating if you wish) in space. It looked similar to Klan's Zentradi SHIP, not her in general; and that's where Tak got confused where he thought I was talking about they are like humans. The Zentradi ships were very different from their captains in build. Their ships were bulky but also had canons that they carried around, which was shown in Ep.4 when Alto spots a dead Zentradi warcraft.

That being said, the Vajra are simple enemies when you look at them, but difficult for Frontier to defeat; because they're in the middle of the war and you are just observing. But I say that as a third-party onlooker. Basically, when I say they are simple enemies, I'm comparing them TO the Zentradi and the fact they have similar traits, especially when it comes to the fact Culture effects them; and the Zentradi should be simple by this point when it comes to Macross.

But I agree with you, Yot-chan; I think they gave similar themes to the Zentradi so we'd be reminded of the Protoculture. After all, that's another thing Zentradi and Vajra had in common - both are effected by Culture (or singing). But they added the fold quartz to give a little bit of spice to that communication link.
Too bad...if you'd said something like, "Yeah, Yot-chan got the right idea," you might have convinced at least one person (me). As it is...well...

You're on your own. Sorry.

Quote:
On another notation, check out CMC's dub of SDF; it's better: http://www.hulu.com/super-dimension-fortress-macross

They also have Macross Plus there if you're interested. A few commercials but it beats downloading it, ne?
It would...if a) Hulu was available in Japan, and b) I hadn't already bought the DVDs.

Unlike (apparently) many, I prefer to show my love of Macross by throwing cold, hard cash at it.
Old 2011-10-11, 13:52   Link #355
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Umm...as far as dubs go, there's Robotech...and there's the 2004 ADV dub. If you're talking about subs, there's the 2000 AnimEigo version, and the 2004 ADV version.

That's it. Really.
On Hulu it said CMC. I don't know why, but yeah; ADV makes better sense. I have a LOT of their dubs. They are the best ones. Funimation is slightly good but their dub of DBZ just makes them look bad.

Quote:
The ADV dub is definitely more faithful...
Purely.

Quote:
Been there, done that. Wore the T-shirt, built the models, bought the VHS tapes, bought the DVDs, subbed the episodes, read the novels...you name it, I've done it.
It was merely a suggestion.

Quote:
Ah...by "CMC," you mean "ADV." Gotcha.
Like I said, it says CMC on the Hulu website under company. Perhaps the name was changed. And I thought ADV went out of business. I looked up their website once and it said they were closed (or renamed).

Quote:
Too bad...if you'd said something like, "Yeah, Yot-chan got the right idea," you might have convinced at least one person (me). As it is...well...

You're on your own. Sorry.
You do have the right idea; but like I said, it's the small bits that no one noticed that caught my eye and made me see they're very similar. Hell, some of the characters are: Sheryl = Misa and Minmei with her various hairstyles. Michael = Basara with glasses. They did these things not only for the 25th anniversary but probably to connect fans to past series of Macross. Notice, in Macross 7 (I think it's Ep.8, 9, or 10) they play "Ima no Tomodachi" in the background when Mylene is in the restaurant: that attaches Macross 7 to Macross II (one that wasn't even sponsored or accepted by Kawamori). I think that's how they normally keep fans in the groove (as one would say) by adding little things here and there from other series.

I was just telling my friend (and a little off-topic but holds the same grounds as above) that the Legend of Zelda has many Mario references in it. That way, if you're a fan of the Legend of Zelda and see it, you might be inclined to play Mario. It's a production thing I guess: "more fans, more money, and we're fucking rich!"

Quote:
It would...if a) Hulu was available in Japan, and b) I hadn't already bought the DVDs.
About Hulu: sorry, I guess I didn't know that. It doesn't say on the site that it's not available in Japan. But, then again, some Japanese websites aren't available here either. I guess we're even then.

You bought ADV's dub of SDF? I never noticed it was there before. I've seen the original Robotech in stores more. Perhaps since ADV went out of business I missed it?

Quote:
Unlike (apparently) many, I prefer to show my love of Macross by throwing cold, hard cash at it.
I do my fair share of buying. I just limit it. Our economy here in the U.S. has turned for the worst and people are losing their jobs every day (me included); so it's tough to buy stuff overseas when the shipping price is so high.
Old 2011-10-11, 14:42   Link #356
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Like I said, it says CMC on the Hulu website under company. Perhaps the name was changed. And I thought ADV went out of business. I looked up their website once and it said they were closed (or renamed).
...went out of business or SOMETHING...who knows?

Quote:
You do have the right idea; but like I said, it's the small bits that no one noticed that caught my eye and made me see they're very similar. Hell, some of the characters are: Sheryl = Misa and Minmei with her various hairstyles. Michael = Basara with glasses. They did these things not only for the 25th anniversary but probably to connect fans to past series of Macross. Notice, in Macross 7 (I think it's Ep.8, 9, or 10) they play "Ima no Tomodachi" in the background when Mylene is in the restaurant: that attaches Macross 7 to Macross II (one that wasn't even sponsored or accepted by Kawamori). I think that's how they normally keep fans in the groove (as one would say) by adding little things here and there from other series.
Enh...I think Michel was meant to remind people more of Max than Basara...his Valkyrie is BLUE, after all...

Quote:
You bought ADV's dub of SDF? I never noticed it was there before. I've seen the original Robotech in stores more. Perhaps since ADV went out of business I missed it?
I've bought considerably more than that...limiting this to the original series: back when you were a baby, I was buying the "Robotech Perfect Collection" (which was never completed): two episodes of the original series, subbed, followed by the corresponding episodes of Robotech. Then, in 2001, I bought the AnimEigo subbed version...in 2004, I bought the ADV version...and then, a while back, I found the Japanese 2008 remaster used. Which, to me, is the perfect version. The only problem is the lack of subs...but, ahem, I'm, uh, getting THAT problem solved as we speak...

Quote:
I do my fair share of buying. I just limit it. Our economy here in the U.S. has turned for the worst and people are losing their jobs every day (me included); so it's tough to buy stuff overseas when the shipping price is so high.
Why do you think I left the US in the first place...?

Not that things are much better here, mind you...but I don't mind skimping on a few other things as long as I get my Macross.
Old 2011-10-11, 20:38   Link #357
wisteria233

Quote:

I understood that after watching CMC's dub. They followed the original storyline whilst Robotech gave new scenes and cut down a LOT of the information needed. Its plot was the opposite of the original SDF. One thing I noticed that was very different was how MangaEntertainment had characters say their lines but they were off in the subtitled version; this was corrected by CMC that re-dubbed the series with Minmei's original actress, who understood Minmei's lines, so everyone's lines came out like they SHOULD have.
Those "new scenes" in Robotech are from two completely different series.
Old 2011-10-11, 23:26   Link #358
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
...went out of business or SOMETHING...who knows?
Well, I looked it up years ago. I don't know if they did but there site wasn't there. I was originally looking them up to buy Blue Seed's OVA and I went to their site but it was gone. All it said was that the company had sold their offices and would no longer do dubs for the U.S.; but then I saw a few more dubs come out by them. Maybe they started back up or those were dubs they decided to finish and release still.

I'm not sure; but I haven't seen anything more from ADV on shelves that are new. Trust me, I liked how ADV dubbed anime.

Quote:
Enh...I think Michel was meant to remind people more of Max than Basara...his Valkyrie is BLUE, after all...
I meant how he holds a resemblance to Basara in physical form. But yes, I do realize he holds a resemblance to Max with the blue Valkyrie, but Max wasn't a sniper.

Either way, when it comes to physical appearance, Sheryl looks more like both Misa and Minmei with hair styles. But her face is more like Minmei's and her form is like Misa's. Ranka doesn't really have anything in common with SDF-1's cast that you can physically see.

Quote:
I've bought considerably more than that...limiting this to the original series: back when you were a baby, I was buying the "Robotech Perfect Collection" (which was never completed): two episodes of the original series, subbed, followed by the corresponding episodes of Robotech. Then, in 2001, I bought the AnimEigo subbed version...in 2004, I bought the ADV version...and then, a while back, I found the Japanese 2008 remaster used. Which, to me, is the perfect version. The only problem is the lack of subs...but, ahem, I'm, uh, getting THAT problem solved as we speak...
Ugh, I bought a remastered Sailor Moon set once from Japan and there were no subs in English or Japanese. So I had to put the subs on them myself. It was the worst experience of my life because my video programming didn't want to match them up properly.

I'm 19, you realize. The Robotech Perfect Collection didn't come out till after it reached the U.S. in 1995. I was four then, which means I wasn't technically a baby.

Quote:
Why do you think I left the US in the first place...?

Not that things are much better here, mind you...but I don't mind skimping on a few other things as long as I get my Macross.
Yeah. Countless times I wanted to move to Japan, but I never find the money to move. I wish I could move there. Rent is a lot cheaper than America too when I look at the housing prices here in the U.S. compared to that of Japan. And I wouldn't have to get shipping fees anymore.

--

Quote:
Those "new scenes" in Robotech are from two completely different series.
Naw, they were pretty much like flashback. Actually, it was how they ordered the scenes that made it a different series entirely. If Robotech had followed the sequences of the original, perhaps people wouldn't have become so lost. They kept having flashbacks and putting scenes where they weren't originally; I'm almost glad they never dubbed DYRL.
Old 2011-10-12, 00:11   Link #359
wisteria233

Quote:

Naw, they were pretty much like flashback. Actually, it was how they ordered the scenes that made it a different series entirely. If Robotech had followed the sequences of the original, perhaps people wouldn't have become so lost. They kept having flashbacks and putting scenes where they weren't originally; I'm almost glad they never dubbed DYRL.
Robotech was made from splicing three different series SDF Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA. Ergo it doesn't have any "new scenes" as all of its "new scenes" are really from different works entirely. It uses scenes from all three anime, hence why it is not considered an adaptation.
Old 2011-10-12, 00:22   Link #360
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

DYRL was indeed dubbed, and called Clash of the Bionoids in the US. A horrible adaption, but it was done.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2011-10-12 at 00:33.

Tags
action, mecha, romance