AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-12, 01:27   Link #361
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Robotech was made from splicing three different series SDF Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA. Ergo it doesn't have any "new scenes" as all of its "new scenes" are really from different works entirely. It uses scenes from all three anime, hence why it is not considered an adaptation.
I meant the FIRST part of Robotech that only SDF premiered on, not the latter of combinations. I'm aware that the REST of the series had new scenes; but I was meaning towards SDF's part only.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 03:39   Link #362
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Naw, they were pretty much like flashback. Actually, it was how they ordered the scenes that made it a different series entirely. If Robotech had followed the sequences of the original, perhaps people wouldn't have become so lost. They kept having flashbacks and putting scenes where they weren't originally; I'm almost glad they never dubbed DYRL.
Um, except for the dialogue and story background changes, the SDF Macross part of Robotech followed the sequences of the original (except for those couple of scenes from Southern Cross that they put in to set up the Robotech Masters arc)...

I don't know about you, but I was never "lost" when I watched Robotech...
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 04:16   Link #363
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Um, except for the dialogue and story background changes, the SDF Macross part of Robotech followed the sequences of the original (except for those couple of scenes from Southern Cross that they put in to set up the Robotech Masters arc)...

I don't know about you, but I was never "lost" when I watched Robotech...
I see.

Perhaps I was lost because in Robotech, Hikaru seemed more Minmei focused than in the original SDF where the military was more important to him in the end, instead, he was focused on memories of Minmei. That's why I was so shocked she lost when I watched the dub. I thank ADV for clearing up that shit.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 12:42   Link #364
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I meant how he holds a resemblance to Basara in physical form. But yes, I do realize he holds a resemblance to Max with the blue Valkyrie, but Max wasn't a sniper.
Neither was Basara...and I don't think Michel looks like Basara any more or less than he looks like Max...and Basara didn't have a Zentradi girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Either way, when it comes to physical appearance, Sheryl looks more like both Misa and Minmei with hair styles. But her face is more like Minmei's and her form is like Misa's. Ranka doesn't really have anything in common with SDF-1's cast that you can physically see.
Totally unsure what you're talking about here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I'm 19, you realize. The Robotech Perfect Collection didn't come out till after it reached the U.S. in 1995. I was four then, which means I wasn't technically a baby.
Um...Robotech debuted in the U.S. in 1985. The Robotech Perfect Collection tapes started coming out in '92 or '93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I see.

Perhaps I was lost because in Robotech, Hikaru seemed more Minmei focused than in the original SDF where the military was more important to him in the end, instead, he was focused on memories of Minmei. That's why I was so shocked she lost when I watched the dub. I thank ADV for clearing up that shit.
Now I really don't know what you're talking about...Robotech made Minmay out to be much worse than she was in Macross (deliberately, according to Carl Macek) and telegraphed the "Rick/Lisa" romance at the end of episode 7...WAY earlier than Macross did...
__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 13:42   Link #365
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
The fact you can withstand ROBOTECH in its full duration already earned my respect. The last time I watched Robotech, I was forced into a state of disgusting awe. It was almost bad as a forced viewing of gay porn.

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 13:57   Link #366
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The fact you can withstand ROBOTECH in its full duration already earned my respect. The last time I watched Robotech, I was forced into a state of disgusting awe. It was almost bad as a forced viewing of gay porn.

- Tak
Were you talking to me or LMK? If it's me...no, I can't watch Robotech. I watched the full series in 1985, but I haven't been able to watch it since then.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 14:07   Link #367
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Were you talking to me or LMK?
I need to be extremely high, drugged and a little crazy to talk to LMK right now.

That is to ensure the best results, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
If it's me...no, I can't watch Robotech. I watched the full series in 1985, but I haven't been able to watch it since then.
Oh well, never mind. I had the impression you actually bought the collection. My first impression of RT was: WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE.

Yeah.

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 14:36   Link #368
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh well, never mind. I had the impression you actually bought the collection. My first impression of RT was: WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE.

Yeah.

- Tak
Ah...I bought the Robotech Perfect Collection...each tape had two episodes of the original shows followed by the corresponding two episodes of Robotech. I only ever watched the first half of each tape.

Anyway, they never finished any of the series...getting only to (IIRC) Volume Eight of Macross, and Volume Seven for Southern Cross and Mospeada.

I've occasionally tried to watch bits of pieces of Robotech in the years since '85...and I find that I simply can't. It all just sounds completely wrong to my ears.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 16:36   Link #369
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Neither was Basara...and I don't think Michel looks like Basara any more or less than he looks like Max...and Basara didn't have a Zentradi girlfriend.
In physical appearance, Michael was more like Basara than Max; and Movie 2 showed that: Michael plays in Basara's place for Ranka's concert. Like I said, they always give us chains to the past Macross' in hopes we'll become attached to the past Macross'

Quote:
Totally unsure what you're talking about here...
Sheryl enters with the build of Misa, which is well shown in Movie 2 when she changes into the military outfit. But her hair in Ep.19 is much like Minmei's in DYRL for a short period of time. Her outfits also resemble colors of the originals Minmei held and some are new forms of Minmei's dresses. But her attitude resembles both girls. (Her Northern Cross outfit, for example, has similar colors to Minmei's final outfit from DYRL.)

Ranka's only connection to Minmei (that one could easily see off the bat) was her songs. Later, we see a little bit of her selfishness. But when it comes to appearance, rarely do I see anything resembling Minmei in her, even outfits.

Quote:
Um...Robotech debuted in the U.S. in 1985. The Robotech Perfect Collection tapes started coming out in '92 or '93.
Hm, it was aired in 1995 here in the U.S. Up until then, I hadn't heard of anime at all. I believe it was run on the adult run of Cartoon Network due to its heavy themes. I remember that it and Gundam Wing ran around the same time and I wasn't attracted to either. Of course, I was only five.

Quote:
Now I really don't know what you're talking about...Robotech made Minmay out to be much worse than she was in Macross (deliberately, according to Carl Macek) and telegraphed the "Rick/Lisa" romance at the end of episode 7...WAY earlier than Macross did...
I see.

Well, I mean that when I watched the last five episodes of Robotech, it seemed more like Hikaru was Minmei strung, even when in the original he was supposed to be just staring out the window. Flashbacks were entered when they weren't supposed to be, the storyline was moved around, and if that isn't the worst, they also had Captain Global die - something that did NOT help the storyline.

All over, I believe Robotech is a bunch of bullshit. I prefer ADV's dub as an alternative to the subtitled version.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 18:00   Link #370
Falcor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lurking in a forum near you
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Falcor Send a message via Skype™ to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
All over, I believe Robotech is a bunch of bullshit. I prefer ADV's dub as an alternative to the subtitled version.
Something I think we can all agree on. For once.

My personal experience is that RT is completely unwatchable after having seen the original SDFM. That is the only reason I managed to get through RT the first time around, since I had the misfortune of watching it on Netflix. Maybe it isn't quite as bad as the way Golion was mutilated by Voltron, but still....
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 19:30   Link #371
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Something I think we can all agree on. For once.

My personal experience is that RT is completely unwatchable after having seen the original SDFM. That is the only reason I managed to get through RT the first time around, since I had the misfortune of watching it on Netflix. Maybe it isn't quite as bad as the way Golion was mutilated by Voltron, but still....
I only watched it because it was interesting and I'd just seen DYRL. But, sadly; I wish I had the Internet back then; because Robotech was NOTHING near DYRL. When I watched the ORIGINAL SDF, I realized where DYRL fit nicely. I know it's a separate story altogether, but it's the similarities that Robotech left out and changed their dialogue so it didn't make sense.

My favorite part of Robotech, however, was when Focker was drunk; that was my favorite piece out of the WHOLE show.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 07:44   Link #372
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
That horrible English song Minmay kept singing in Robotech haunts my ears...
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 10:51   Link #373
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
That horrible English song Minmay kept singing in Robotech haunts my ears...
You mean this one...?

__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 11:09   Link #374
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
I was hoping conversation on Robotech would never appear again, though i guess it's a curse that will never fade away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
DYRL was indeed dubbed, and called Clash of the Bionoids in the US. A horrible adaption, but it was done.
I can't help but laugh hard at that title.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 11:26   Link #375
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I can't help but laugh hard at that title.
It was a very messy dub. Bad acting all around. Although the songs were left intact, as with the original Zentran language. Though its not surprising, considering the probabilities of a low-budgeted dubbing. Half the movie was cut, and language changed to kiddie-friendly. Fine and dandy, except they still kept Milia's rampage intact as well as the vaporization scene near the end.

Yeah...

and

UGH!

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 11:54   Link #376
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I was hoping conversation on Robotech would never appear again, though i guess it's a curse that will never fade away.
It'll never disappear, alas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I can't help but laugh hard at that title.
You can laugh at more than that...

__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 12:16   Link #377
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
You can laugh at more than that...
Oh my..

I'm having a hard time deciding which voice role is my favourite!
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 12:49   Link #378
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroth View Post
oh my..

I'm having a hard time deciding which voice role is my favourite!
"Ye can still fight when yer drunk!!"
__________________
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 13:05   Link #379
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
The only curse in the movie was:

"DAMN YOU BALLLDDOOOZZZAAAAA............."

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 17:12   Link #380
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Ow, that was painful. Did they get the cleaning staff to do that VO?
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, mecha, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.