AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-24, 21:04   Link #181
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Great, now I think of spirits as drug-addicts

Same sentiments as the poster above - thanks for giving all that info musashiken. It really helps a lot with the background.

One of these days I should learn Japanese ...

Incidentally, is THAT why Corti's always in chibi-form? As the oldest spirit alive, she probably just wants to look young again?
Lol, me I prefer to think of them as serious coffee drinkers.

As to why Corti always remain in chibi-form... I really don't remember. I think it's because she does it to preserve energy since Phoron is such a weak Dantist. He can only perform well when he gets really serious. He's one of those rare talented Dantists to be able to contract a Goddess Spirit but his talents only show in dire situations

Another reason could be during those years of separation while Corti was sealed underground, she was starving of Phoron's Commandia. A normal spirit would have perished then, but being a Goddess Spirit Corti was able to persevere longer by turning to chibi mode. Probably from then onwards she was used to being in chibi mode.

I suppose in the anime Phoron's more stable as a Dantist. Anyway Corti is 'nice' in chibi mode and adult mode... probably one of my favourite 2d characters. hehe.
Old 2007-10-24, 21:17   Link #182
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Rough thing on the spirits. The situation with Commandia really is interesting since it can be so problematic for the spirits. But you just can't help yourself in starting in the first place. Guess your in a tough spot of needing to find a new source if anything happened to the Dantist. Since they are human they will only be around for so long.

That's Phoron for you. A ton of talent to be able to contract with someone like Corti but isn't the type to pull out his best all the time. Have to dry drawing a line or the relationship turns into one from the drug dealer and the commandia junkie... Maybe cofee works a bit better. Can just call the Dantists the local Tim Hortons.

Wonder how much Phoron appreciates the situation of managing to have a contract with a spirit like that. In terms of the chibi Corti situation. I thought it was because she looked cuter that way. Though I guess that wouldn't be a good technical excuse to use.
Old 2007-10-25, 01:16   Link #183
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

So what is the main story line come from? The Games, Novels, what?

Also, how old is Cortie?

The last thing that I have a question about is the genre. Anidb said this was a romance, but I never saw any. No way Cortie could actually see Phoron as anything but a contract. I mean, if she lives a lot longer, it wouldn't work out...
Old 2007-10-25, 02:05   Link #184
Kyuusaisha

She could always do the same thing as Aleindus did for Reitos. Besides I think volume 2 of the novels touch upon the subject of a spirit falling in love with a human and vice versa.
Kyuusaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 02:41   Link #185
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt_Bf-109 View Post
So what is the main story line come from? The Games, Novels, what?

Also, how old is Cortie?

The last thing that I have a question about is the genre. Anidb said this was a romance, but I never saw any. No way Cortie could actually see Phoron as anything but a contract. I mean, if she lives a lot longer, it wouldn't work out...
Alright, Shinkyoku started off as a kinetic novel project by Visual Arts. Kinetic novels are different from visual novels in the sense that there are absolutely no options to be made. Visual novels have several routes and endings but kinetic novels are just novels, except besides just reading, you see pictures and hear sounds as well. The first 'game' (I call them games because anything to do with pics and clicking is a game to me) was Shinkyoku episode 1 and 2, which talks about the story of Phoron and Corti during his days as a student. It was later concluded with episode 3 and 4.

As Shinkyoku the game was released on PC and PS2, the author then carried on the story with paperback novels. The sponsoring company of the franchise then decided to adapt a "Shared World" concept into the Shinkyoku story and from there spawned the "White" and "Black" series on paperback. Later on, they decided to create the "White" and "Black" kinetic novels using the original paperbacks as a base.

The story of Crimson game came first, the paperback novels describe events after the game. The anime is set in the same period as the paperback novels but I have no idea if the anime is based off an existing novel or it is a stand alone story. I believe it is standalone, looking at how they spread the plot over different medium. I have to start playing the White and Black games to know more.

Anyway about Corti's and Phoron's relationship, it is obvious that Corti views Phoron a lot more than just a contract. Corti's relationship with her previous Dantist might be the case but Phoron is definitely special to her.
In the game, it is revealed that Corti was deeply touched by Phoron's sad, heartfelt music and that was why she made the contract in the first place. She'd probably do anything to hear his music and have his music belong only to her, that was why she told Phoron that she will never let other spirits get near Phoron because he and his music belongs only to her

As to how old Corti is, like I said she's there from the beginning so she's as old as the world.
Old 2007-10-25, 08:50   Link #186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Would agree about Corti seeing Phoron as more than just a source of commandia. Certainly she can try and hide behind that contract as the reasons for some of the things she does, but it isn't all that convincing. The music is part of things since it is so important in this universe. Do believe she cares deeply about him outside of that aspect.Gotta love her being so protective of him and trying to make sure no one gets too close. Knows what she wants and isn't going to sit back .

Guess that's one of the cases where you don't bring up a woman's age eh. True that her living well beyond his lifetime might toss a wrench into things. But doubt that something like love would be held back simply due to how long one member may live. Just enjoy your time while it's good and when the inevitable comes one will have to keep on moving forward.
Old 2007-10-25, 09:51   Link #187
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Would agree about Corti seeing Phoron as more than just a source of commandia. Certainly she can try and hide behind that contract as the reasons for some of the things she does, but it isn't all that convincing. The music is part of things since it is so important in this universe. Do believe she cares deeply about him outside of that aspect.Gotta love her being so protective of him and trying to make sure no one gets too close. Knows what she wants and isn't going to sit back .

Guess that's one of the cases where you don't bring up a woman's age eh. True that her living well beyond his lifetime might toss a wrench into things. But doubt that something like love would be held back simply due to how long one member may live. Just enjoy your time while it's good and when the inevitable comes one will have to keep on moving forward.
Well it's not a matter of simply dying though. Phoron would grow old - and I wonder if he might feel resentment at the perpetually young Corti? At some point, he would stop being able to sing or even play music.
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:34   Link #188
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

And she would find a new contract to 'love'.

Plus, looking realistically, he would want a child...can the spirits even have children?
Old 2007-11-04, 04:47   Link #189
Corti
Crimson Cosplayer

Well, you know I was kind of happy to find this thread here. When I first watched Polyphonica I instantly fell in love with the series, ordered the Kinetic Novels (at least the crimson ones), artbooks, novels and the manga (are still waiting for the last two), and still missed some things due to the fact that my Japanese isn't the best anymore. (I still will play the kinetic novels with an translator, when I find the time XD)

Maybe one of you can answer me some questions. Apart from Corti and Aleinus, which pillars are known? I saw on the white hompage that there's the purple goddess and the white one, but I couldn't find info on the others.

And then there is Eryu(toron) (also from white) for example. What's that beast thing? Is it a special rank too? The translation of the white-homepage was from babelfish too so I didn't even really understoof what his relationship to Corti was. (Oh my, I hope I got the name right from Katakana to Romanji XD)

Well, thank you for reading this and maybe someone knows answers ^^
Corti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 00:27   Link #190
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I forced myself to watch this whole thing. Why? Well...

The Scrapped Princess anime, also written by Polyphonica's writer (Ichiro Sakaki), is awesome... though I now suspect that is because of the anime staff, not the creator.
Hikaru Nanase is awesome.
riya/euphonius is awesome.
Ayako Kawasumi and Nana Mizuki are awesome too.

But dang, this series was soooo terrible. It had sub-par dialogue, mediocre music, bad/boring/unrealistic plots, bad animation, and the absolute worst artwork I have seen since Gundoh Musashi. They scenes were generally isomorphic instead of in perspective, and even then, they couldn't get their lines parallel or angles right. The faces were often horribly deformed, Corti often went from an AA-cup to a D-cup or anywhere in-between when the camera angle shifted slightly (and I'm not talking about her transformation). The conclusion was sort of dumb. And after all the build-up of Corti's incredible power, we never got to see her unleashed in combat, which is just criminal.

Overall... I watched the whole thing just to see if it had a single redeeming aspect... but no, it ended without ever getting to a part I would call 'enjoyable'. I feel sorry for the wasted effort put into it by the few qualified people who were part of the staff and cast... and I hope the animators and artists either take some remedial classes or find a new career.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 00:38   Link #191
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
But dang, this series was soooo terrible. It had sub-par dialogue, mediocre music, bad/boring/unrealistic plots, bad animation, and the absolute worst artwork I have seen since Gundoh Musashi. [...] Overall... I watched the whole thing just to see if it had a single redeeming aspect... but no, it ended without ever getting to a part I would call 'enjoyable'. I feel sorry for the wasted effort put into it by the few qualified people who were part of the staff and cast... and I hope the animators and artists either take some remedial classes or find a new career.
Well, that's an opinion... one which I certainly can't agree with, of course. I found the music excellent, and all the rest not nearly as bad as you say. I found the "story universe" to be very interesting, and it's something they certainly go into in more detail in the light novels and novels.

Quote:
The Scrapped Princess anime, also written by Polyphonica's writer (Ichiro Sakaki), is awesome... though I now suspect that is because of the anime staff, not the creator.
Most I've heard say that the Scrapped Princess novels are at least as good if not better than the anime, and that the Crimson Polyphonica light novels/novels (written by the same author) are better than the anime. The anime, though planned by the same author, isn't a direct adaptation of the original (see above/earlier in the thread for more info, if you actually care to know/understand).

All in all, you're so darn judgemental that it almost borders on trolling. It may not be a top-tier anime (I don't think anyone's saying that it is), but I hardly think it's deserving of such extreme condemnation, even if it is just an opinion. Sheesh.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 00:39   Link #192
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:

But dang, this series was soooo terrible. It had sub-par dialogue, mediocre music, bad/boring/unrealistic plots, bad animation, and the absolute worst artwork I have seen since Gundoh Musashi. They scenes were generally isomorphic instead of in perspective, and even then, they couldn't get their lines parallel or angles right. The faces were often horribly deformed, Corti often went from an AA-cup to a D-cup or anywhere in-between when the camera angle shifted slightly (and I'm not talking about her transformation). The conclusion was sort of dumb. And after all the build-up of Corti's incredible power, we never got to see her unleashed in combat, which is just criminal.

Overall... I watched the whole thing just to see if it had a single redeeming aspect... but no, it ended without ever getting to a part I would call 'enjoyable'. I feel sorry for the wasted effort put into it by the few qualified people who were part of the staff and cast... and I hope the animators and artists either take some remedial classes or find a new career.
i watched the last 3 eps in 3 mins because i was so annoyed... primary due to lack of story. this could have so been an awesome anime
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 00:48   Link #193
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:

I actually loved this series, still do, especially the last episode

I do think they could of gone for 26eps and fleshed it out more, rather than assuming everyone had read the books and played the games, since i've done neither it was confusing at a lot of points.

I honestly love the music, it's equal to Aria in it's own way. I honestly found nothing overly wrong with the animation, its not the best ive seen, but it's no where near the worst. As for the plot and dialogue, i rather enjoyed them.

I do agree that it's a shame we didnt get more Corttie action, since i thought the show would be about them, especially after the beginning of episode one. But as i said, thats due to the belief that peoiple have read and played the books and games.

I wouldn't call it a total loss, and it is one i keep on my computer and watch occassionaly. I think judging it based on another anime, is a bit lame. Sure watching an anime cause it's fropm the same mangaka is fine, i do it all the time. But then saying x anime sucked, so b anime was only good cause of the anime crew, is just plain nuts.

Enjoy or dislike a show on it's own merits, not on what another show was good for.
Old 2008-01-15, 01:00   Link #194
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
I wouldn't call it a total loss, and it is one i keep on my computer and watch occassionaly. I think judging it based on another anime, is a bit lame. Sure watching an anime cause it's fropm the same mangaka is fine, i do it all the time. But then saying x anime sucked, so b anime was only good cause of the anime crew, is just plain nuts.
I read the first 2 Scrapped Princess novels... and they don't come close to the anime, in my opinion. But regardless, I was very excited when I found out that Code E and Polyphonica were coming out, as both were created/scripted by Ichiro Sakaki. But both disappointed me. Code E actually had good art and animation, but I was unable to force myself to watch any more after the second episode, as it was boring and all the characters were really annoying and unrealistic.

So, I'm glad you liked Polyphonica. I liked some aspects of it, like Corti's character and voice-acting. But as much as I initially expected Ichiro Sakaki to be the magic ingredient that turns anime into gold, it seems that for me, personally, that is not the case... and that's a pretty well-informed conclusion, since he is directly and solely responsible for the plot and dialogue of Polyphonica and Code-E, and I did not like it in either. As with Scrapped Princess, though, the concepts are interesting.
Old 2008-01-15, 01:14   Link #195
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
So, I'm glad you liked Polyphonica. I liked some aspects of it, like Corti's character and voice-acting. But as much as I initially expected Ichiro Sakaki to be the magic ingredient that turns anime into gold, it seems that for me, personally, that is not the case... and that's a pretty well-informed conclusion, since he is directly and solely responsible for the plot and dialogue of Polyphonica and Code-E, and I did not like it in either. As with Scrapped Princess, though, the concepts are interesting.
How is that a "pretty well-informed conclusion"? He is not directly or solely responsible for the plot or dialog in either anime adaptation. He did the series composition for Polyphonica (which is basically arranging how the story flows, pulling from the various sources including but not limited to his own portion of the story), and was one of many who worked on the screenplay in Code-E. He wasn't involved at all in the Scrapped Princess adaptation. Not to mention all three works are very different genres/styles, and use otherwise totally different production teams...

I don't think I've ever heard of a "magic ingredient" ever in anime. I'm inclined to believe it doesn't exist.
Old 2008-01-15, 01:31   Link #196
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Polyphonica:
Creator, Composition, Screenplay. That's pretty solely responsible for story and dialogue...

Scrapped Princess books:
Writer.

Code E:
Concept. And, oops... only 1 of 5 responsible for screenplay, my mistake.

But my point is, that the more directly he is involved with a project, the less I like it, which is why I liked the Scrapped Princess anime far more than the books.

As for magic ingredients - I am inclined to say that I would not have even bothered to watch Noir if it had had a bad soundtrack, rather than Yuki Kajiura's (possibly) best. But I agree, usually there is no individual who acts as a magic ingredient. That doesn't stop me from trying to identify directors, writers, or teams who create anime that I really, really like, so I can look forward to what they will make next. It often fails, but it's better than stabbing blindly in the dark.
Old 2008-01-15, 03:15   Link #197
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

uhm, yes he wrote the Scrapped Princess books, but that dosent mean he was a part of the anime adaption. He was probably consulted, but beyond that he probably had nothing to do with it. It's also upto the crew of the anime production if they listen to what he had to say.

Ursala la Quin wrote the earth sea books, but she was neither consulted, nor took part in either their anime or mini series adaptions.

I also think the director would have a large influence over the screenplay, probably more than he himself did.

You didn't like it, thats fine, but please don't troll it because you didnt like it. Others have and do.

As for stabbing in the dark, you should try it some time, you might surprise yourself and find a real gem of a series. I know i found most of my favorite series simply by picking them at random. Hell witch Hunter Robin i bought by accident, and couldn't be bothered to send it back, watched it and loved it >.<
Old 2008-01-15, 09:29   Link #198
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corti View Post
Well, you know I was kind of happy to find this thread here. When I first watched Polyphonica I instantly fell in love with the series, ordered the Kinetic Novels (at least the crimson ones), artbooks, novels and the manga (are still waiting for the last two), and still missed some things due to the fact that my Japanese isn't the best anymore. (I still will play the kinetic novels with an translator, when I find the time XD)

Maybe one of you can answer me some questions. Apart from Corti and Aleinus, which pillars are known? I saw on the white hompage that there's the purple goddess and the white one, but I couldn't find info on the others.

And then there is Eryu(toron) (also from white) for example. What's that beast thing? Is it a special rank too? The translation of the white-homepage was from babelfish too so I didn't even really understoof what his relationship to Corti was. (Oh my, I hope I got the name right from Katakana to Romanji XD)

Well, thank you for reading this and maybe someone knows answers ^^
Well, it's kinda late... but I'll answer if anyone still cares. I'll also not bother with spoiler tags.

The known pillars so far are:

Crimson - Corticarte
Emerald - Aleindus
White - Eternalia (dead), Snowdrop (Eternalia reincarnated)
Silver - Estelle
Purple - Lishrytink (really hard to pronounce)
Gold - Zorasteria
Unknown - Letiacol
Unknown - Unknown

I only know of Corti, Aleindus, Eternalia/Snow and Lishry from the kinetic novels. The others are probably mentioned in the light novels.

Each pillar has a guardian spirit known as Sacred Beasts (I refuse to translate them as Saint Beasts). They usually appear in animal form with 6 wings but they also have human forms. They are male and their purpose is to protect their pillars for eternity.

The corresponding Sacred Beasts are as follows:

Crimson - Eryutron (Corti's guardian. Obviously he's not around Corti anymore.)
Emerald - Unknown
White - Blanca (Eternalia/Snow's guardian. Animal form is a cute white puppy. Actually a wolf.)
Silver - Unknown
Purple - Seikrid (A faggot mildly narcissist. Animal form is a purple unicorn...)
Gold - Unknown
Black - Managa (I only know him as the huge guy in the Black series)
Unknown - Unknown

To be honest, I've only finished the Crimson games and half of White. I've yet to start on Black.
For the light novels, I only own the Crimson ones, but I'll probably start to read them after I master my Japanese in... 10... no 20 years.
I own the anime dvds as well, but they're sitting in a corner rotting. I'll start to watch them after I finish the White and Black games in... 5 years. :P
Old 2008-01-15, 10:07   Link #199
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

are the light novels licensed?
Old 2008-01-15, 16:30   Link #200
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Polyphonica:
Creator, Composition, Screenplay. That's pretty solely responsible for story and dialogue....
Ah -- that's ANN being incomplete, actually. He was only one of 5 writers doing the screenplay for Polyphonica as well, as per the official site. Most of the other writers were the writers for the other Polyphonica novel series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
are the light novels licensed?
Nope, nothing in this franchise is licensed, as far as I know.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, ginga-ya, ocelot, romance, seinen, shounen, supernatural