AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 10:17   Link #21
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShinobi07 View Post
with the brain he has sitting in his skull, he could probably find a way to completely master all afinitys. Maybe him using asumas trench knifes is a hint that he may also be a wind type
No...because those blades draw chakra from it's user...regardless the chakra nature of the user. It's just that wind chakra is more powerfull to use for attacks...
Old 2007-04-03, 13:07   Link #22
BlackShinobi07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
No...because those blades draw chakra from it's user...regardless the chakra nature of the user. It's just that wind chakra is more powerfull to use for attacks...
So is the wind affinity the most powerfull of them all?

Last edited by BlackShinobi07; 2007-04-03 at 16:35.
BlackShinobi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 14:53   Link #23
Rahan

Quote:
So is the wind affinity the most power of them all?
Offensivewise, yes.

Chapter 317, page 16
Asuma : "The Wind element has the strongest offensive power for close and middle-ranged fights"

And since I am at chapter 317, the knifes were never introduced as wind chakra knives

Chapter 317, page 12
Asuma : "This is my Chakra knife. This knife is made of special metal that sucks the chakra nature of the user"
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:53   Link #24
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
So is the wind affinity the most power of them all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Offensivewise, yes.

Chapter 317, page 16
Asuma : "The Wind element has the strongest offensive power for close and middle-ranged fights"

And since I am at chapter 317, the knifes were never introduced as wind chakra knives

Chapter 317, page 12
Asuma : "This is my Chakra knife. This knife is made of special metal that sucks the chakra nature of the user"
That's right....

I assume that earth element is the strongest defensive element....since Kakuzu used this to defend himself..and most attacks didnt work on him.
Old 2007-04-03, 23:51   Link #25
tkdtiger

Which one do you think is strongest for long range? Which one do you think is most balance?
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 01:28   Link #26
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

I'd say Lightning for longrange and Water element for the most balanced chakra nature.
Old 2007-04-04, 04:26   Link #27
coba

I think fire is probably the long range one. I remember seeing katon jutsu always being used in range combat
coba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 04:48   Link #28
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

About 6 months ago I would have said wind was best for long range and balanced for defense and offense. I would never have thought it would be best for up close offense. So until Kishimoto explains the other elements, there is no way of knowing.

Quote:
with the brain he has sitting in his skull, he could probably find a way to completely master all afinitys. Maybe him using asumas trench knifes is a hint that he may also be a wind type
The chakra knives only absorbed the properties of the kagemane. Shikamaru was putting the ying & yang chakra from the jutsu into the blades. That's why it acted like the shadow bind. It was a different technique than when we saw Naruto or Asuma putting their own wind chakra into the blades.

So we don't know Shikamaru's elemental affinity based on that. Nor do we know any of the other former genin aside from Naruto and Sasuke.
Old 2007-04-04, 13:13   Link #29
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
as coba said i think that fire as the longest range

earth is greatest defense

in every show with elemental magic, water is the balanced element

what i am confused about is that lightning was used earlier to penatrate, but the say that wind as more cutting power. so i don't know lightings' strength yet. i guessing it might be speed. or something of that sort

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:01   Link #30
tkdtiger

I'm guessing that lightning has to do with speed also. It does seems to be a mid to close range affinity like wind. This is prob. why you need sharingan to use chidori properly.
Old 2007-04-05, 09:25   Link #31
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Well i think the answer is already there.
Wind is the opposite of Earth.
Fire is the opposite of Water.

If wind is great for attacks and Earth for defense...and Water is balanced --> then Fire is ..... right? There is nothing else to say about it.
Old 2007-04-05, 11:08   Link #32
othafa

I think people are getting caught up on the difference between and affinity and the ability to use that element. Affinity just means that you are naturally inclined to use that element. With the exception of kekkai genkai users that combine elements, people just have an affinity for one element. Note how, in the manga pages posted previously, despite the fact that kakashi begins by speaking about affinity, he then goes on to say that some people "possess" different elemental moves. This is not the same as being naturally inclined towards those elements, and it probably takes a lot more effort to learn jutsu when you don't have an affinity towards that element. It stands to reason that this shouldn't be considered in terms of "yes/no", but instead consider it a ranking of the five elements. Each person has the potential to use all of them, but it is easier for some and more difficult for others. Consider the "affinity" to just be the element ranked #1 for any given user.

When creating a unique jutsu, it makes sense that you woud create it using the element that you have a strong affinity towards. Thats why so many Uchiha created fire jutsu, Kakashi created Raikiri, and Naruto created FR. However, it has been made obvious that people can use any jutsu as long as they have the proper amount of and control over their chakra. The sharingan can copy any elemental jutsu (barring KG) because it has the ability to identify and mimic the manner in which chakra is converted into jutsu. However, the strongest jutsus will always be those that the user has an affinity for. Note how the amount of fire produced by a katon jutsu varies from user to user. This would not only be a factor of total chakra control and capacity, but on the user's affinity towards the fire element.

Developing the use of a second element, as most jounin do, is probably just an issue of discovering which element is ranked #2 for you and pursuing it. On the one hand, this shouldn't be as easy to learn as your first element, because the affinity is not as strong. On the other hand, people would probably pick up on their second element and how to use it faster, since they are more experienced as shinobi.

Back on topic, in terms of primary affinity, here is my guess for primary and secondary affinities for a few characters.

Kakashi: lightning/water
He's been shown to have a firm mastery over water based techniques, and was able to match Zabuza's techinques in volume and intensity. Many people would say earth here, but note how all of his earth jutsu tend to have a concrete effect that does not need a variable intensity. The move where he pulls someone into the ground can only have that effect. He can't submerge someone up to their neck in dirt any more or less based on the potency of his chakra. He also can't send dogs through the ground towards a predetermined target any more or less (although his relative affinity may affect the range).

Gaara: Earth/wind
I get the impression that gaara's primary affinity is towards earth, since his absolute defense is his primary (and by far most effective) ability. If breaking down, compressing, and controlling minerals isn't earth, I don't know what is. I'm not even sure that hes developed any techniques to utilize the wind yet. He doesn't "blow" his sand around, he moves it by controlling his chakra in the same way that neji does, only neji doesn't have to infuse anything like gaara does his sand. It, however, does stand to reason that, since fire is the most prolific elemental affinity in Konoho, and water in Kiri, Gaara will develop some talent with wind (it being the element associated with his homeland).

I hope that Naruto just forces himself to learn fire jutsu, regardless of where it falls in his affinity ranking. One jutsu will be enough to make him far more effective when partnering with Bunta, and Naruto's talent has always been becoming really good at using a select few jutsu, but then optimizing their potential by combining them effectively with his other jutsu. Also, it shouldn't be that difficult because he is a denizen of Konoha.

People like Shikamaru and Tsundade and Sakura don't even care what their affinity is. These user's can't afford to waste the abnormally high amount of chakra that is required for nature manipulation. They all have very low chakra pools to begin with. They have also come up with highly effective means of spending the chakra that they have.

Finally, there are people like Guy and Kurenai. The obviously have relatively stable chakra pools, but they've developed skills in the other two ninja arts that far surpass anything that they could do in the area of ninjutsu. Why would I want to come up with a ninjutsu that uses up 1/3 or more of my total chakra when I'm not even very good at ninjutsu at all.
othafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 18:47   Link #33
tkdtiger

Isn't someone with an affinity in 2 or more elements considered a BL? I agree the ability to use more than one element and having an affinity is different.
Old 2007-04-05, 21:46   Link #34
othafa

The idea behind a BL is that the user can use two elements, each of which he or she has the same level of affinity for, at the exact same time. The result is that the two existing elements are combined into a new "element".

Water + Wind = Ice
Water + Earth = Wood

The actual term affinity is relative. It simply means that a given user is better in element A than B-E. However, when you apply the term to a "secondary" affinity, consider it to mean that the user is better in B than C-E, but B is still not better than A.
othafa is offline   Reply With Quote