AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-14, 11:05   Link #1
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Your Power Bill Is Standing By

I found this article on Yahoo! website. I thought it would be nice to share
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 11:59   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, this was an item of big discussion recently. People have no idea how much power they waste with things on standby. I've even gone to the point of just shutting stuff off if I'm not using it so I burn as little standby as possible.
Old 2006-10-16, 13:54   Link #3
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I've been aware of that for years, it was actually that realization that spurned me on to heading out to my local electronics store and investing in a dozen power bars with on/off switches. I actually have very few electronic devices that are left 'on' at all times, in no particular order, they are: My PC, phone/answering machine, and my alarm clock. I've not listed major appliances (fridge, water heater, furnace, etc.) but from memory, that is the limit of what remains 'on' at all times. When I wish to watch TV, listen to the stereo, etc., I first turn on the powerbar then turn it back off when I am done. I turn lights on and off as I enter and leave a room, keep south facing windows open (curtains) for as long as there is daylight in the sky and a host of other things.

I wouldn't call it conservation with some desire to help the world but rather a desire to limit the size of my hydro bill every month that has pleasant side effects. =P

Conservation starts when you show people how much money they can save.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 14:11   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

another way to save money is to turn your A/C up a few degrees. if you set it around 75 you should stay cool and the A/C will not have to work overtime. i like to keep mine at 72 though but i have most of the house vents closed and try to keep unused room doors closed.
Old 2006-10-16, 16:00   Link #5
Anime+
Banned

Forget standby, imagine all of those hours we spend on the computer or watching tv. I actually have a friend that has not turned his computer off in 2 months. Energy cost is a big problem right now and too many people do not realize how much all of their little electronical devices add up in thier electric bill.
Anime+ is offline   Reply With Quote