AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-02, 09:25   Link #21
Jiyuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rehovot,Israel
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
people are over exaggerating,
gonzo makes at least as many good shows as any other studio(and as opposed to most they also make GREAT series once in a while..), the only thing is that that they simply produce much more then most other studios.
that, while not profitable for them, shouldn't matter for viewers..

anyway the fact that a series like rosario was the first to break the 5000 DVDs sale barrier in 4 years proves to me more then anything that it's simply that they were aiming for other crowds instead of the moe loving fans.
i mean, think about it 4 years!
Gankutsuou
Red Garden
Seto no Hanayome
these are just 3 series most will agree that were great.
and if non of them sold 5000 copies while rosario which was based on moe did it just shows what most anime fans want to watch.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 09:30   Link #22
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
That is rather unforgivable in my eyes. I mean SnH...the best comedy series I've seen loosing out to Rosario on the market. What an insult
It must be the bad reputation (which to this day I still don't understand why) because I know that they do produce gem series from time to time, yet those titles don't get the credit because of the studio it is from.
Bah >.>
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 09:47   Link #23
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
people are over exaggerating,
gonzo makes at least as many good shows as any other studio(and as opposed to most they also make GREAT series once in a while..), the only thing is that that they simply produce much more then most other studios.
that, while not profitable for them, shouldn't matter for viewers..
Toei has probably produced at least a hundred more series than Gonzo, but yeah, they've been around longer.
Sunrise has at least as many series as Gonzo, as does Production I.G. and maybe Bones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
and if non of them sold 5000 copies while rosario which was based on moe did it just shows what most anime fans want to watch.
Rosario was based on panties, not moe.
Ecchi is targeted at a different audience than say, Nanoha or Rozen Maiden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
That is rather unforgivable in my eyes. I mean SnH...the best comedy series I've seen loosing out to Rosario on the market. What an insult
It must be the bad reputation (which to this day I still don't understand why) because I know that they do produce gem series from time to time, yet those titles don't get the credit because of the studio it is from.
Bah >.>
The bad rep is mostly due to the ratio of excellent series:crap that they seem to have.
The ratio's shared by most other studios, but crap from other studios isn't as well-known as Gonzo's crap for some reason.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:15   Link #24
Jiyuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rehovot,Israel
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
it was based on 5 girls with 5 or so different moe elements.. I'd say thats pretty much based on moe..


Quote:
Toei has probably produced at least a hundred more series than Gonzo
a hundred more GOOD series?

and as for the rest, thats like what? 3 studios?
and thats just the thing, if you compare gonzo's good series in a given time period it will usually be about the same as those other studios good series,
yet people say that gonzo is crap and the other studios aren't.

thats why I'm saying people are over exaggerating.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:24   Link #25
Nemuru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
That is rather unforgivable in my eyes. I mean SnH...the best comedy series I've seen loosing out to Rosario on the market. What an insult
It must be the bad reputation (which to this day I still don't understand why) because I know that they do produce gem series from time to time, yet those titles don't get the credit because of the studio it is from.
Bah >.>
lol, I would blame the fan's for not supporting their series. To my understand making quality anime doesn't net you huge profit, most of this can seen with Gonzo's better titles and Dvd sales from Production I.G.

While I won't belittle sunrise but they're not the best studio I've seen producing quality anime but their sales figures shows alot more evidence of fan's supporting a fad rather than the quality itself.


As for the studio itself its quite comparable with other great studio's around there are plenty of examples of other studio produce mediocre anime, how many people here watch Gainax This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Melody of Oblivion or He is my Master.

For being a profilic studio in the industry alot of people seems to remember their mediocre anime more than their goods ones.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:29   Link #26
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
it was based on 5 girls with 5 or so different moe elements.. I'd say thats pretty much based on moe..



a hundred more GOOD series?

and as for the rest, thats like what? 3 studios?
and thats just the thing, if you compare gonzo's good series in a given time period it will usually be about the same as those other studios good series,
yet people say that gonzo is crap and the other studios aren't.

thats why I'm saying people are over exaggerating.
Toei animation has been making anime since the 1950s.  They have made more than 180 television series (approx) and almost 100 movies, plus a large number of OVAs (that I'm not bothered to count right now).

Anyway, total historical output is irrelevant. What matters is the RATE of output... Plus Toei has much lower production costs since it has its own studio in the Phillipeans where most of its animation is actually done.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:33   Link #27
Jiyuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rehovot,Israel
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
maybe people who buy series because they like the girls in them care more about actually having an original DVD while people who just like series as entertainment care less about such things and as a result are satisfied with simply pirating content..

I don't know, it just seems to me like the ratios are simply wrong..
while series that generate mild responses but are based on "selling the girls" are overselling series that get tons of responses but are based more on action/comedy..


Quote:
Toei animation has been making anime since the 1950s.  They have made more than 180 television series (approx) and almost 100 movies, plus a large number of OVAs (that I'm not bothered to count right now).

Anyway, total historical output is irrelevant. What matters is the RATE of output... Plus Toei has much lower production costs since it has its own studio in the Phillipeans where most of its animation is actually done.
i know they have made a ton of stuff,
what i was asking was about how much of that can be considered good, or o.k..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:45   Link #28
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
lol, I would blame the fan's for not supporting their series. To my understand making quality anime doesn't net you huge profit, most of this can seen with Gonzo's better titles and Dvd sales from Production I.G.

While I won't belittle sunrise but they're not the best studio I've seen producing quality anime but their sales figures shows alot more evidence of fan's supporting a fad rather than the quality itself.


As for the studio itself its quite comparable with other great studio's around there are plenty of examples of other studio produce mediocre anime, how many people here watch Gainax This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Melody of Oblivion or He is my Master.

For being a profilic studio in the industry alot of people seems to remember their mediocre anime more than their goods ones.
Really now? I've seen two out of the three you've mentioned and to my tastes I enjoyed them. But for Gainax, even if others see them produce some bad titles, their awesomely insane series pretty much outshines the bad. Whereas for Gonzo, the bad titles overshadows the good ones (which is because of some bad reputation they have built upon).
The amount of time you hear people discrediting a series because "it is by Gonzo" is rather dumb because, imo, series should be treated for what they are rather than the attachment it has.
So yea, you are right...but unlike Sunrise (who specialise in Mecha) or Kyoani (who specialise in moe), Gonzo is pretty much a hybrid company who isn't doing so well compared to others.
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:56   Link #29
Jiyuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rehovot,Israel
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
as i said earlier i think it is because they were aiming for the American market and that backfired..
i guess it means that the R1 market cares less about actually having an original DVD then the R2 market..

that at least is the most probable thing to me as i see no other reasonable explanation..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 11:01   Link #30
Nemuru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Really now? I've seen two out of the three you've mentioned and to my tastes I enjoyed them. But for Gainax, even if others see them produce some bad titles, their awesomely insane series pretty much outshines the bad. Whereas for Gonzo, the bad titles overshadows the good ones (which is because of some bad reputation they have built upon).
The amount of time you hear people discrediting a series because "it is by Gonzo" is rather dumb because, imo, series should be treated for what they are rather than the attachment it has.
So yea, you are right...but unlike Sunrise (who specialise in Mecha) or Kyoani (who specialise in moe), Gonzo is pretty much a hybrid company who isn't doing so well compared to others.
Your ability to enjoy a series is different to the evaluation of the show in general, those shows I've listed are interested and I do enjoy some of them but they're not outstanding by any means.

Again I disagree, Gonzo can produce awesomely insane anime like Last Exile, Gankutsuou and Vandread.

Gonzo being a hybrid studio might be true to an extent but the large majority of their profits come from overseas license and royalty received. With the declining fall in the demand for anime Dvd internationally it isn't any coincidence its happening. The state of the R1 industry can be seen through Genon, ADV films and BVUS.

To a larger extent this is going to have a larger effect than people think, Their youtube/CR/AnimeBOST could be seen as a fail concept if they become insolvent/delisted. I dare to say we (us fans) won't be seeing anymore legal sub anime on youtube and tougher restriction will be place on anime/raw sharing. Beside that the industry will be more focus on producing more moe and fanservice to meet demands rather than producing anything of quality, let’s take kurenai for an example. Its first volume sales figure should be interesting but I have doubt it will top any fanservice anime.

Again, are people really satisfy with having less anime to watch? I know a majority have a dislike for Gonzo but anime is a form of entertainment, you're allowed to freely choose what you watch and most of us here watch anime for "Free" fansubs ectera.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 11:13   Link #31
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
it was based on 5 girls with 5 or so different moe elements.. I'd say thats pretty much based on moe..
No, it was based on five girls wearing five different pairs of panties.
People don't compare Rosario to moe series, they compare them to Ichigo 100%, Girls Bravo, Kanokon, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
a hundred more GOOD series?
Isn't this completely irrelevant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
and as for the rest, thats like what? 3 studios?
3 studios of the uhh, 8 other well known studios that exist?
That's a decent amount.

Oh, and J.C. Staff probably has more productions than Gonzo.

And when we consider that Brains-Base, ACGT, Seven Arcs, Nomad, and several other minor studios have each produced a popular anime or two, it's obvious that only studios that create enough and are well-known can gain a reputation in the first place.
The only two studios that come to mind breaking this is SHAFT and KyoAni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
and thats just the thing, if you compare gonzo's good series in a given time period it will usually be about the same as those other studios good series,
yet people say that gonzo is crap and the other studios aren't.
Then when you consider that Gonzo probably put out more well-kown crap than other studios during that given time period...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
lol, I would blame the fan's for not supporting their series. To my understand making quality anime doesn't net you huge profit, most of this can seen with Gonzo's better titles and Dvd sales from Production I.G.
The thing about IG is that you can't bring it up in conversations like these
I won't argue that they're not one of the more focused studios, but they certainly can't be brought up in discussions regarding popular series and studios, as IG has a smaller and more dedicated fanbase rather than the followers of Gundam, KyoAni, Pierrot, etc.

And it's much more about the target audience of an anime than the actual quality of the anime itself.
Haruhi and Code Geass are both relatively recent works from (now) well-known studios that topped charts because they were targeted at a wider audience.
On the other hand, much of Gonzo's more recognised failures were also targeted at a wide audience, so more people watched them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
While I won't belittle sunrise but they're not the best studio I've seen producing quality anime but their sales figures shows alot more evidence of fan's supporting a fad rather than the quality itself.
That's because they own the Gundam franchise.
Though also keep in mind they have the widely popular Gintama and Code Geass is among the most popular series within the last decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
For being a profilic studio in the industry alot of people seems to remember their mediocre anime more than their goods ones.
It's because prolificacy does not equate quality. If one remembers a studio's mediocre series more easily than their good ones, it may just mean that a studio has more crap than gold.

However, Toei has much more crap than Gonzo, but a lot of their crap is not as well-known or is too old for people to care about.
So as I said, creating popular crap is what gave Gonzo its reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
maybe people who buy series because they like the girls in them care more about actually having an original DVD while people who just like series as entertainment care less about such things and as a result are satisfied with simply pirating content..
Obviously, that's how the anime business works.
Popular anime with popular characters sell DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
I don't know, it just seems to me like the ratios are simply wrong..
while series that generate mild responses but are based on "selling the girls" are overselling series that get tons of responses but are based more on action/comedy..
Where are you getting these statistics?
Some part of me tells me that Full Metal Panic! probably sold/sells more DVD's than most of Gonzo's other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
i know they have made a ton of stuff,
what i was asking was about how much of that can be considered good, or o.k..
As I said, every large studio has good stuff and crap, Gonzo's crap may or may not be more numerous than any other studio's, but what's true is that its crap is known by all. Or most.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 11:42   Link #32
Nemuru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
That's because they own the Gundam franchise.
Though also keep in mind they have the widely popular Gintama and Code Geass is among the most popular series within the last decade.
Rest assure I give Sunrise credit for their business/marketing department but I can't say the same for their anime. Code Geass is recent and popular, that I know but I wouldn't call it quality but it would vary for each person. Season 2 has yet to impressed me but its surely overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
The thing about IG is that you can't bring it up in conversations like these
I won't argue that they're not one of the more focused studios, but they certainly can't be brought up in discussions regarding popular series and studios, as IG has a smaller and more dedicated fanbase rather than the followers of Gundam, KyoAni, Pierrot, etc.

And it's much more about the target audience of an anime than the actual quality of the anime itself.
Haruhi and Code Geass are both relatively recent works from (now) well-known studios that topped charts because they were targeted at a wider audience.
On the other hand, much of Gonzo's more recognised failures were also targeted at a wide audience, so more people watched them.
cough* Ghost in the shell *cough*, that title alones brings has bought them alot of fame in the western world, If I had to name Production I.G fans it would fall within the Sci-fi category. While you may argue that certain studio aim their anime at a particular group but anime is a niche market itself, I don't see the difference in what you're trying to say.

Well Dragonaut is quite an interesting one, at a glance I thought only people who enjoyed large breast woman would be considering their main audience yet alot of people watches it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
It's because prolificacy does not equate quality. If one remembers a studio's mediocre series more easily than their good ones, it may just mean that a studio has more crap than gold.

However, Toei has much more crap than Gonzo, but a lot of their crap is not as well-known or is too old for people to care about.
So as I said, creating popular crap is what gave Gonzo its reputation.
I won't deny their quality anime are overshadow by their recent poor anime although I'm more incline to believe their prolificacy just creates an incentive for awareness around the community. Alot of people are expecting mediocre from Gonzo yet they still come and watch even though they're not going to gain any satisfaction. If I had to comment, people are more illogical when it comes to gonzo anime rather than their reputation for producing mediocre anime. It would be more logical if people just not watch gonzo anime at all yet you will always find comments of people bashing their anime throughout the thread voicing their opinion even though there’s always a choice to watch attach to any given anime.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 12:09   Link #33
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Rest assure I give Sunrise credit for their business/marketing department but I can't say the same for their anime. Code Geass is recent and popular, that I know but I wouldn't call it quality but it would vary for each person. Season 2 has yet to impressed me but its surely overrated.
I also happen to be one of those who question Code Geass's overall "quality", but you can't argue that it's not overly hyped and popular, which is what leads to DVD sales in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
cough* Ghost in the shell *cough*, that title alones brings has bought them alot of fame in the western world, If I had to name Production I.G fans it would fall within the Sci-fi category. While you may argue that certain studio aim their anime at a particular group but anime is a niche market itself, I don't see the difference in what you're trying to say.
I was going to bring up Ghost in the Shell, but it was similar to Cowboy Bebop in that it's much larger outside Japan than inside (though their influence can't be denied).
And the second point hits right on. Most of I.G.'s well-known work is in sci-fi, and it's not one of the better-selling genres in anime (except for mecha.) As such, I.G. is targeting a niche group in a niche market, which obviously isn't great for business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Well Dragonaut is quite an interesting one, at a glance I thought only people who enjoyed large breast woman would be considering their main audience yet alot of people watches it.
While I was only able to watch enough for it to have given me cancer, Dragonaut (to the extent of my knowledge) is a series about robots (or something similar) and boobs, which is something that happens to be shared by some of the largest anime franchises.
That all of the seiyuu of the SOS Brigade appear in it must have had some sort of influence as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
I won't deny their quality anime are overshadow by their recent poor anime although I'm more incline to believe their prolificacy just creates an incentive for awareness around the community. Alot of people are expecting mediocre from Gonzo yet they still come and watch even though they're not going to gain any satisfaction. If I had to comment, people are more illogical when it comes to gonzo anime rather than their reputation for producing mediocre anime. It would be more logical if people just not watch gonzo anime at all yet you will always find comments of people bashing their anime throughout the thread voicing their opinion even though there’s always a choice to watch attach to any given anime.
That may just happen because a lot of these people may be hoping that what they believe about Gonzo may be wrong or, more likely, they're just dumb.
I can't comment because I personally don't really hold a bias against Gonzo (though I was sceptical to watch Druaga after having just seen Rosario), seeing as I've probably seen more good than bad series from them.

If I watched a Gonzo anime and it turned out to be bad, I would say so, but I wouldn't say an anime is bad because it was from Gonzo.

And to finally bring up a relevant example:
Studio DEEN.

They have stuff like Tsuiokuhen, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Fruits Basket, and Maria-sama ga Miteru, but they've also released a lot of crap. However, series like Code-E, Shining Tears X Wind, and Yumeria aren't nearly as (in)famous as Dragonaut or Rosario.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 12:10   Link #34
zzeroparticle
NEET
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
I won't deny their quality anime are overshadow by their recent poor anime although I'm more incline to believe their prolificacy just creates an incentive for awareness around the community. Alot of people are expecting mediocre from Gonzo yet they still come and watch even though they're not going to gain any satisfaction. If I had to comment, people are more illogical when it comes to gonzo anime rather than their reputation for producing mediocre anime. It would be more logical if people just not watch gonzo anime at all yet you will always find comments of people bashing their anime throughout the thread voicing their opinion even though there’s always a choice to watch attach to any given anime.
While I do complain a lot about GONZO, part of the reason why I continue to take occasional stabs at GONZO shows is that they make enough good stuff that it'd be unwise to discount their works altogether. At the very least, it makes the watchability threshold much more often than say... Bee Train.

For example, I'd point at Bokurano as a decent show they've done. Sure, they may have made a few changes that irked the manga followers, but I thought the series wrapped up rather decently. Red Garden was also very well-done even if it never got on many people's radars.

So I'll take chances with them now and then just on the off chance of finding gold. Likewise, I'll criticize their works if I find it horrible like with Romeo x Juliet.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 13:10   Link #35
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
I think the string of poor releases has taken their toll...so not even good series are enough to save them form this slump eh...
It's far more closely linked to the weak western market.

Gonzo catered to their west, and even their best shows never went anywhere with Japanese audiences (despite large budgets and critical acclaim - Last Exile, Gankutsuou, etc.).

With the western market on life support, Gonzo got hit the same way as the American distributors.

That's why they make a lot of low budget shows now (and have shifted strategies to target otaku, although it may be too little too late). If the money doesn't flow in, they can't produce good anime.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 14:57   Link #36
Jiyuu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rehovot,Israel
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
btw from what i heard being delisting doesn't mean that gonzo will die,
thou no one really explained so i'm not sure..
but i think that if they start making some otaku oriented animes AND their online distributions system catches on they should actually be in a pretty good state..

but thats a lot of ifs..


thou 9 months isn't that short either..
they btw just tightened their relation with some Japanese game company
http://www.gdh.co.jp/english/news/20080530.html
so that could help raise capital..
*edit*
seeing this is dated from the 5th so it might not be relevent.
*/edit*


btw it's kinda funny..
it would seem like there are lots of series that have split opinions..
its like everyone found gonzo animes they love, and hate most of the rest..
with some exceptions being last exile and ganktsuou, thou even they have some people that hate them..
for example bokurano was hated by tons of people, yet loved by others.
and most of the people that liked bokurano hate RxJ,
while those who love RxJ hate Bokurano..
same for NHK and to most other animes..
it seems like with most gonzo animes its either you love it or you hate it from the bottom of your soul, and if you like this then you probably hate that one... XD

maybe gonzo's problem is that they are too many contradicting styles of anime XD
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 21:16   Link #37
Siegel Clyne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
GONZO's Salvation: Underpants? ^_^

Since Rosario + Vampire is selling on DVD in Japan, take a look at the Strike Witches Panties Campaign:

http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/pants/index.html

If panty shots make money for GONZO...

Going by Oricon sales figures, GONZO's bestselling title on DVD in Japan appears to be Brave Story, an animated feature and family film which has sold at least 156,337 copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
Anime DVD Titles with Initial Volume Released in 2006
.
.
.
Brave Story (Movie) 156,337 (cumulative sales of three versions) (Gonzo/Viz Media)
2006/11/23 96,805 Standard Edition
2006/11/23 48,360 Limited Edition
2006/11/23 11,172 Collector's BOX
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 21:43   Link #38
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 38
Geez, such a marketing approach = roflmao!

You're right in some way, they seem to be having some trouble trying to proffer their titles. Sign of the times, perhaps?
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 22:04   Link #39
Nemuru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu
btw from what i heard being delisting doesn't mean that gonzo will die,
thou no one really explained so i'm not sure..
but i think that if they start making some otaku oriented animes AND their online distributions system catches on they should actually be in a pretty good state..

but thats a lot of ifs..
It irks me to see Gonzo shifting its strategy by catering the otaku demographic, My general view of Gonzo are mostly positive as they've mainly produce anime outside the otaku circle of Moe and loli although the mecha genre seems to be their predominate focus in anime.

I'm hoping these event won't be as dire as people make them out to be, the next best scenario Gonzo can still continue making anime but on a more tighter budget. In this day and age you're not going to receive anything if a company becomes insolvent, with gonzo recognition in the industry (not the circle of anime fans) I can see their creditors/investments giving them more time, that if the Australian law is the same as the one in japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
I heard Blassreiter was pretty bad, though. Druaga no Tou shines when compared to a lot of Gonzo's recent stuff.
I will have to disagree with Blassreiter being "bad" per se, While understandable with the stigma of Dragonaut and the CGI hater its actually quite an interesting anime. If Blassreiter came out first than Dragonaut, in likelyhood it would've had a larger amount of fans following the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle
For example, I'd point at Bokurano as a decent show they've done. Sure, they may have made a few changes that irked the manga followers, but I thought the series wrapped up rather decently. Red Garden was also very well-done even if it never got on many people's radars.
The bokurano manga fans are probably the worst critics I've seen around the net, I just can't agree with any of their justification, the entire content of the manga is quite questionable for a TV series. Even with the mangaka approval of the anime the fan's go out of their way claiming the anime should be made by the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
I was going to bring up Ghost in the Shell, but it was similar to Cowboy Bebop in that it's much larger outside Japan than inside (though their influence can't be denied).
And the second point hits right on. Most of I.G.'s well-known work is in sci-fi, and it's not one of the better-selling genres in anime (except for mecha.) As such, I.G. is targeting a niche group in a niche market, which obviously isn't great for business.
Although in practise the general anime studio usually sell around 2k units per volume, there are exception as we can see with the more popular title outselling in the tens of thousands but I would consider those anomaly than any indication/standard for an anime studio. Although I would contradict myself as those title are more geared towards the general otaku fetish, with the weaken R1 market the otaku genre are more likely to be profitable at this stage.

I've always view Production I.G as a company that creates outstanding anime but in effect received lower returns for their effort in general. There isn’t much difference with production I.G and other studio unless their main revenue isn’t earned from anime.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:06   Link #40
Neya
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
For the Otaku market of today they just need more R+Vs and not any good titles.

As long as the Sakuga is okay and the Chara design is good (and fits archetypes) then they can drive costs as low as possible.

Or better, create a subsidiary and chunk out anything Ero- as fast as possible.
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gonzo, studios

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.