AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2009-02-13, 01:41   Link #121
Green²
It's Magic

Gonzo Set to Fire 75% of Employees

Quote:
Financially troubled anime studio Gonzo is set to undergo massive restructuring, sacking 100 of its 130 employees, rather than the smaller numbers announced earlier, with parent company GDH mandating a return to profitability within 5 years.

However, they set the time frame for these sackings to “within 5 years”, perhaps indicating they are set after all on moving towards a heavily outsourced production style, rather than simply shedding employees as a matter of urgency (which it admittedly is).
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 12:02   Link #122
JediNight
キズランダム

I suppose how many employees they lay off would depend on how much outsource work they can get. Xebec is a company that does a lot of outsource work and only does an in-house show every 1-2 years.

I would say Gonzo has sound animation production, and CGI second only to Production IG. They always come up with some interesting world/series design. I think they just need to out-source the writing/story
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 12:09   Link #123
wao
OK.

Of course, Xebec is a Production I.G. subsidiary, which helps keep it afloat somewhat...

Personally I think Gonzo's strength has always been digital processing, and I don't think anybody's going to mind if they go right back to becoming a primarily digital-processing company... I don't think they have as much of an edge over other companies as they used to when they were the hottest thing in producing funky special effects though.

$deity forbid, though if they become another shell outlet that manages outsourcing and simply acts as an entity to contract people. :/

Say, wasn't Mamoru Hosoda rumoured to be working on a film with Gonzo? That's a really old one of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it fell through some time ago.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:22   Link #124
MartianMage

It's kinda sad seeing Gonzo in this state while some other companies troll their fans and still get money.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-14, 06:03   Link #125
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
It's kinda sad seeing Gonzo in this state while some other companies troll their fans and still get money.
Well you could just go to the Kadokawa Anime channel and watch both videos. They're even up there with English subtitles.
Old 2009-02-14, 06:12   Link #126
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well you could just go to the Kadokawa Anime channel and watch both videos. They're even up there with English subtitles.
Yeah I saw that they already uploaded Haruhi chan but I'm still sad with the fact that despite it's poor quality people will obsess over it instead of paying attention to animes that have quality.
Old 2009-02-14, 06:19   Link #127
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:
I'm still sad with the fact that despite it's poor quality people will obsess over it instead of paying attention to animes that have quality.
They are not as narrow-minded and short-sighted as you make them out to be.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-14, 06:23   Link #128
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
They are not as narrow-minded and short-sighted as you make them out to be.
Hopefully that's the case but I kinda took a peek on the thread about it and no one seems to be even taking note how bad the first clip was.
Old 2009-02-14, 06:45   Link #129
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:
Hopefully that's the case but I kinda took a peek on the thread about it and no one seems to be even taking note how bad the first clip was.
No no no. I meant that they do watch other anime than those. As far as "the other studio" is concerned, Clannad is delivering as shown in its lastest episode. Munto TV IS improving tho it have yet to move on its newer material, but the fact is here, it improves.

However, they are not drooling eedeeots whose fanaticism makes them miss "quality shows", they are also enjoying other shows, namely Ride Back if I had to name one anime of this season.

Pigeonholing fans like you did is unfair and as bad of a mindset. I do talk with people who are gundam fanatics, but this did not stop them from enjoying some Minami-ke or Clannad. Even as one who like "the other studio" and got called moefag at one point in the recent years, most of my all-time favorites were Madhouse's productions, especially Yoshiaki Kawajiri's.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-14, 09:11   Link #130
4Tran

All right, knock it off. Please either post about Gonzo or related financial issues, or take the discussion elsewhere.
Old 2009-02-14, 18:10   Link #131
einhorn303

Well, today we got the news of some large-scale Gonzo show licensing:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...uaga-dragonaut

What disappoints me is how though all the BOST x Gonzo shows got licensed, there is still no Strike Witches. To quote some research I posted on ANN:

The AnimeOnDVD forum's official thread for Strike Witches is 29 pages long. The thread for Dragonaut is 7 pages long...and most of them are of the "ugh this sucks!" variety. The users of this forum represent the R1 region's heaviest DVD-buying population. There's all sorts of other numbers we could look at, too. After the broadcast of SW ended, it's Google search numbers leveled off about half they were during airing. After Dragonaut finished it's airing, the Google search numbers plummeted to near zero...watched and forgotten, compared to the far more robust fan community of SW. I'm looking at the graphs right now, it's quite dramatic.

Strike Witches would sell at least twenty times as many DVD's as Dragonaut: the Resonance, easily.

However, apparently Funimation will be announcing more licenses next week. I hope Strike Witches is one of them.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 02:36   Link #132
lubczyk

Just watched Afro Samurai, both movie and tv - Awesome!!! I hope GONZO survives to make a TV series out of it. I mean, of all the studios that I've followed, GONZO must be the most experimental along with Gainax and SHAFT. They've tried so many different animation approaches while most other studios have stuck to the generic bishunen/bishojo/loli styles. I hope GONZO doesn't end up making all their future shows like Strike Witches.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 17:20   Link #133
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Well, today we got the news of some large-scale Gonzo show licensing:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...uaga-dragonaut

What disappoints me is how though all the BOST x Gonzo shows got licensed, there is still no Strike Witches. To quote some research I posted on ANN:

The AnimeOnDVD forum's official thread for Strike Witches is 29 pages long. The thread for Dragonaut is 7 pages long...and most of them are of the "ugh this sucks!" variety. The users of this forum represent the R1 region's heaviest DVD-buying population. There's all sorts of other numbers we could look at, too. After the broadcast of SW ended, it's Google search numbers leveled off about half they were during airing. After Dragonaut finished it's airing, the Google search numbers plummeted to near zero...watched and forgotten, compared to the far more robust fan community of SW. I'm looking at the graphs right now, it's quite dramatic.

Strike Witches would sell at least twenty times as many DVD's as Dragonaut: the Resonance, easily.

However, apparently Funimation will be announcing more licenses next week. I hope Strike Witches is one of them.
You obviously didn't know the hidden threats from Strike Witches. At least typical people can understand Dragonauts. (Even though the only thing it has is the "5 specific seiyuus")
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 17:44   Link #134
Nosauz

wasn't this all hinted at before the economic crunch, that gonzo was gonna get into h scene? I have to admit some of there shows were great but compared a production company such as kyoto animation, I wouldn't consider it a big loss, because most likely those people will still continue to work in the industry albeit not a gonzo. I'm thinking that in a year or two gonzo will finally get shuttered especially if they drop in quality in their upcoming shows. This could all be wrong since druaga seems to have a decent fanbase but overall the future is bleak for the studio.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 22:26   Link #135
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I mean, of all the studios that I've followed, GONZO must be the most experimental along with Gainax and SHAFT. They've tried so many different animation approaches while most other studios have stuck to the generic bishunen/bishojo/loli styles.
Wait, what? Aside from Afro (which had like 10X the budget of other anime due to American backing), I'm not thinking of a Gonzo show I've seen in the past couple years that had all that much stylization to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess
You obviously didn't know the hidden threats from Strike Witches. At least typical people can understand Dragonauts. (Even though the only thing it has is the "5 specific seiyuus")
I'm really hoping that Dragonaut was just part of a bundle package they got. I mean, yeah, Gonzo stuff seems to sell in the US (at least judging by the amount that gets licensed), but come on, I dropped it after one episode when I was getting it for free. Who do they think is going to actually buy it on DVD?
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 22:40   Link #136
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Wait, what? Aside from Afro (which had like 10X the budget of other anime due to American backing), I'm not thinking of a Gonzo show I've seen in the past couple years that had all that much stylization to it.
This is looking at the current Gonzo perspective, if you include many past Gonzo shows they would be consider pioneers into CGI blending with animation. Starting from Blue Sub no.6, Last Exile to Gankutsuo and not to mention my favourite Yukikaze. I don't think it’s fair to not include Gonzo past as a factor for valuing such a studio, It might be a trend of new anime fans to look at what’s shinny and new but for the most of us nostalgia play's a big role.
Old 2009-02-16, 02:34   Link #137
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

I'm really hoping that Dragonaut was just part of a bundle package they got. I mean, yeah, Gonzo stuff seems to sell in the US (at least judging by the amount that gets licensed), but come on, I dropped it after one episode when I was getting it for free. Who do they think is going to actually buy it on DVD?
Or, also likely, with Gonzo facing the massive financial difficulties they are right now, they went up to Funimation and said "We'll give you the license for just $10! Please! We're begging you!"
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 21:17   Link #138
itisjustme

I used to be a big GONZO fan but they clearly took a wrong turn in the last 2-3 years. The number of average or just plain crappy shows they've made during that time is kinda incredible when I think about it, whereas I can remember half their shows being at least decent or even great before that.

It's also pretty amazing how they kept forgetting to hire a couple decent scriptwriters over the years. =P
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 00:04   Link #139
brocko

No ones posted this yet have they?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...opt-gonzo-name

GDH is simply going to be just GONZO now.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 01:21   Link #140
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
No ones posted this yet have they?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...opt-gonzo-name

GDH is simply going to be just GONZO now.
Yeah, it's not really an important story.

They're shrinking down to a size where they shouldn't be supporting a separate child company like GDH so merging back to Gonzo is prudent. It doesn't change their situation any really, though.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, studios