AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-10-23, 20:30   Link #1
Jaieni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Physics Lab
[Manga] Inoue's power

So Aizen tells Inoue and his lackies that she has the power to deny the existance of events that have taken place. Deny that Grimjaww's arm was sliced off...he's got his real arm back.

This makes her possibly the most overpowered character in the Bleach universe if she can realize her full potential.

Simply put; she can create or destroy with her thoughts. Deny the existance of Aizen (the strongest dude in Bleach atm) and there's no more Aizen regardless of where she's "aiming" because those little fairy things are just extentions of her.

In other words Inoue = Haruhi = God
Jaieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 22:30   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
No it doesn't. You're assuming that she has no limits. Perhaps she can do anything, but since healing Jidanbou's arm left her utterly exhausted we've already found limits.

Obviously her powers are pretty big, but saying that she's god seems to be stretching it.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 00:05   Link #3
hdx514
馬甲
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portofino
i don't think she'll be of much use in real battles against powerful enemies. someone like zaraki would have crushed those fairies and sliced her in half before she got time to say shit. but, orihime could put the whole division 4, including unohana and her disgusting minatsuki out of commission for sure. you know unohana is jealous of orihime's powers when she didn't even make an effort to convince yamamoto of her importance after personally witnessing her powers.
__________________
我是馬甲我怕誰? 只怕那把d-roy當瓦級的超級無敵火星大SB
hdx514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 02:33   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Or maybe the "size" of the event is also important. Replacing an arm might require less energy than destroying a city. Without knowing the natural laws of the spirtual world you cannot be sure that all things are equal.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 02:40   Link #5
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Wait, I think The Small One has a point. Let's review what Aizen said after Orihime 'reconstructed' Grimjaw's arm in #240:

"Her ability allows her to choose target and, subsequently, limit, reject, and deny it ever happened. No matter what happened, she can return the target to a previous state. . . . She can easily supercede any event God has designated at the ground level. This power violates the realm of God. "

And she didn't look any worse for wear after restoring Grimjaw's arm. She even restored his skin where his rank had been before obliterating Luppi with a cero. So, when we compare Orihime's abilities during the SS arc and #240, she sheems to have beter control of her powers and not tiring as easily. No doubt this is the effect of her training with Rukia and we'll probably see Rukia with a new set of abilities as a result. Just like any muscle, frequent excercising and training one's spiritual ablilities will often lead to increased strength and abilities.

Orihime's powers are unique in that it can do three things at once: defend, attack, and event rejection. It can even be argued that the Souten Kishun, in the proper circumstance, can be used as an offensive ability.

Last edited by AmbiDextrose; 2006-10-24 at 03:00.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 03:14   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiDextrose View Post
So, when we compare Orihime's abilities during the SS arc and #240, she sheems to have beter control of her powers and not tiring as easily. No doubt this is the effect of her training with Rukia and we'll probably see Rukia with a new set of abilities as a result. Just like any muscle, frequent excercising and training one's spiritual ablilities will often lead to increased strength and abilities.
Then you acknowlege that she has limits and has increased those limits.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 03:36   Link #7
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
No doubt. Everyone has limits even- a Visored Aizen would have an upper limit. But consider this- Orihime brought Tatsuki back when she was very close to death. Can she actually negate a person's death? That still remains to be seen unless someone can confirm that Tatsuki was actually dead when Orihime performed the Souten Kishun on her. If that is so, then it definitely raises her powers above those of the Shinigami because it violates reality (well, THEIR reality, to be honest) and the Shinigami's role in their universe.

Why would it matter that Aizen even becomes a Visored when Orihime has the power to negate his power (complete hypnosis) or even his very existence? That's probably why Aizen sought her out in the first place. Indeed, Orihime is shaping up to be a very important key in the events to come.

Last edited by AmbiDextrose; 2006-10-24 at 03:52.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 03:49   Link #8
Killa_hurtz
THE SousukexKaname Fan
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington
We should get a chapter in a short while of this arc where we get to see Orihime show off the extent of her powers and totally own some people.

Maybe Ulquiorra
__________________
Killa_hurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 04:00   Link #9
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hmmm. Since Orihime's power seems to violate the laws of 'their' universe, I wonder if the Soul Society will go after her at some point like what they did to the Quincies? Maybe that's why Unohana was downplaying Orihime's power during the SS arc- because she realized what it can be used for.

This could also mean that Orihime might not make it out of the current (or next) story arc or she looses her powers because she does represent an imbalance in the grand scheme of things.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 05:00   Link #10
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tropical France
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiDextrose View Post
Hmmm. Since Orihime's power seems to violate the laws of 'their' universe, I wonder if the Soul Society will go after her at some point like what they did to the Quincies? Maybe that's why Unohana was downplaying Orihime's power during the SS arc- because she realized what it can be used for.

This could also mean that Orihime might not make it out of the current (or next) story arc or she looses her powers because she does represent an imbalance in the grand scheme of things.
Good point. In my opinion, if Inoue's powers are so great, she won't be able to keep them at the end of this arc (if Bleach goes on after the Winter war, but I'm not sure). Think about it, such great powers of healing and rejection would be boring. I can't see her fight with the group after and being more useful than the hero Ichigo.
So I think either she'll die, she'll lose her power (through Aizen's use of her maybe) or she'll be away for the rest of the story.
As for the true extent of her powers, we can only guess them.
__________________
Leerin icon by ree_rhea
Eurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 05:04   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiDextrose View Post
Hmmm. Since Orihime's power seems to violate the laws of 'their' universe, I wonder if the Soul Society will go after her at some point like what they did to the Quincies? Maybe that's why Unohana was downplaying Orihime's power during the SS arc- because she realized what it can be used for.

This could also mean that Orihime might not make it out of the current (or next) story arc or she looses her powers because she does represent an imbalance in the grand scheme of things.
Soul Society didn't go after the Quincy because their power "seemed to violate the laws of the universe." They went after the Quincy because large scale destruction of souls would destroy the world. They even asked the Quincy to stop before they attacked them. Killing Orihime would seem completely unlike the Quincy situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Well actually most of the things should be equal, because every event has special key-events. To use your example: A destroyed city might seem like more work, than a lost arm at first glance, however the city wasn't just suddendly destroyed, there was a reason for it... most likely a bomb, or a cero, at least it probably was something much smaller than the city as a whole, and Orihime's power could just go back further in time and just reject this small key-event.
It depends on how her power is defined. If her power is to reject a single event that happened in the past, then this works. On the other hand, if her power rejects the changes to the entire city in the present, then you're wrong. It all comes down to how her power actually works and we haven't been told that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
But probably it doesn't make too much sense to discuss about it, because I think the author didn't really think it through to this extent himself.
Perhaps he did not.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 05:09   Link #12
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Soul Society didn't go after the Quincy because their power "seemed to violate the laws of the universe." They went after the Quincy because large scale destruction of souls would destroy the world. They even asked the Quincy to stop before they attacked them. Killing Orihime would seem completely unlike the Quincy situation.
That's not the point. The point is that the Soul Society has a history of going after beings that operate outside their norms. Them going after Orihime is not such a stretch because she represents even more potential danger than the Quincies ever did. If she can reject events, affect both spiritual and physical planes of existence (time does trancend both), she has the potential to cause such an imbalance in their universe that they'd be remiss not to seal her powers away or at least limit their effect.

Who knows? Maybe part of the reason Orihime was allowed to train in the SS with Rukia was so that they could observe her abilities up close- I wouldn't be surprised if Mayuri was lurking in the shadows all along during that time.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 05:11   Link #13
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Which history is that? The history where they left the bounto alone for centuries? The only beings they go after are the hollows and the Quincy. And there are very definite reasons for both of those. Heck, they even tried to talk the Quincy out of destroying hollows before taking the step of waging war on them.

Am I missing something?
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 05:22   Link #14
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Which history is that? The history where they left the bounto alone for centuries? The only beings they go after are the hollows and the Quincy. And there are very definite reasons for both of those. Heck, they even tried to talk the Quincy out of destroying hollows before taking the step of waging war on them.

Am I missing something?
My understanding is that it took a few hundred years before they could effectively exterminate the Quincies- if that's not history, then I don't know what it. The bottom line is that the Quincies were eliminated because they worked OUTSIDE the rules of the Soul Society and caused an imbalance in the universe. That's the root of the argument- the details are irrelevant at this point. Now, shift over to Orihime, who has the potential to trancend laws governing their reality- she can literally change reality. To me, that would pose an even greater danger than the Quincies ever did (or even Aizen and his minions) if she ever learns to harness her power on a large scale.

Who knows? Maybe that's where this arc is actually going.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 19:03   Link #15
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I'd say people are reading too much into Inoue's powers and Aizen's liberal explanation of them. Aizen was using metaphorical hyperbole to explain her powers. I don't think she can turn back time large scale like some people seem to be thinking. We've seen no evidence she can raise the dead, or that her powers would affect anything like a city or even a building.

She's got a useful ability for healing that surpasses regular regeneration. That makes her useful as a medic to either side. Ichigo patched up by Hanataro still had wounds; Ichigo patched up by Inoue could hit the battlefield again almost as soon as she finished. That makes her a good asset, but not god.

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 19:25   Link #16
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
People keep bring up healing...Her Power isnt actually healing

She is reversing the flow of Time I believe it was to a pervious state.
__________________
Shinoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 19:40   Link #17
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I said it was an ability useful for healing, not that it was a healing ability. Healing repairs the wound, Inoue can make it so the wound never happened. But I still don't think she can do more than that.

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 20:33   Link #18
AmbiDextrose
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Why do people assume that healing is Orihime's primary ability when in fact, it's just a side-effect. And technically, it can't even be called healing or even regeneration. Healing and regeneration implies GROWING and thus, moving forward in time. Orihime's power is the opposite- it brings back it's target to a previous state- much like the reset or reload function in most games. It's like it never happened. If all you can think of is the 'healing' effect of Orihime's abilities, then you're only thinking tactically. Orihime's power has a great strategic advantage- one that Aizen (and Urahara) have recognized. While Urahara was trying to keep Orihime out of the conflict, Aizen doesn't have that kind of scruples (not that Urahara is a bastion of morality).

So, the big question is 'can Orihime bring back the dead'? I think this was partially answered during Orhihime's abduction by Ulquiorra (#234). Because her two bodyguards were inconsequential to Orihime's abduction, Ulquiorra did not have any reason to let them live. Now, I do claim ignorance regarding the physiology of those living in the Soul Society but looking at the amount of damage inflicted by Ulquiora (one had half his upper torso ripped off while the other was blasted with a head-sized hole where his entire mid-section had been), any low-ranking Shinigami would have probably died on the spot. However, Orihime was able to succesfully negate the damage caused by Ulquiorra and the two bodyguards survived (as reported by Ukitake when they found out that Orihime had gone missing during the fight between the Earth-bound Shinigamis and the Arrancars). Even Ulquiorra was astounded by Orihime's abilites as she tried to help her dead (or dying) bodyguards. However, maybe Orihime's powers do have limits in proportion to the size of the event. Going back to the previous example, maybe she was able to bring her bodyguards 'back to life' because their reiatsu hadn't completly disspated. . . .

One limitation of Orihime's power is that it can only go back in time. Thus, if an event hasn't happened yet, her abilities cannot affect it. In any case, Orihime is not a god (nor a demi-god) because she does not exhibit characteristics found in being classified as gods- i.e., omniciense, omniprecense, creationism, et. al. However, as Aizen pointed out, she does tread in the realm of the gods because she has the ability to alter past reality in order to affect the outcome of the present.

Am I reading too much into it? Possibly. But in manga, everything is in the realm of possibility as long as it moves the story and it's characters forward (that or it generates a lot of sales for the publisher).

Last edited by AmbiDextrose; 2006-10-25 at 04:50.
AmbiDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.