AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-09, 20:59   Link #941
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I don't buy it but whatever the reason it shouldn't be trauma.
Okay, the deal with Nunnally's eyes is this. The trauma of the incident, seeing her mother brutally murdered, compounded with the damage to her legs, caused her brain to literally shut down the synapses and nerves and everything to her eyes. No information is being transmitted from her eyes and translated in the brain. Physically, no damage was caused to these pathways, and normally she can see. However, they were "shut down" in a sense as a psychological response to the event. This means there IS a chance for her to see once more, though most consider it unlikely.

Lelouch would not be of the belief that his sister could see again if her blindness was caused by physical damage that destroyed her eyes or the nerves and such connecting her eyes to her brain. If that had happened, it'd be a different story. As for keeping her eyes closed, I imagine that is solely the work of the artist illustrating the anime, and probably it is more comfortable for her to keep her eyes closed. Not to mention its probably more comfortable for everyone else if her eyes were closed, so Nunnally is not constantly creeping them out with her cheerful demeanor and her soulless, glassy, staring eyes.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 21:16   Link #942
Mr.Mo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
What you say is true but look at what you said. Is Nunally weak psychologically, is she crazy, suicidal, or severely depressed? Is she crying every night because of her mother's death? Does she have no one to turn to? It doesn't look like it. I'm sure people who experienced similar "traumas" or even worse as a child doesn't lead to them being unable to open their eyes.
You are biased in this. You are sure but have no factual evidence.

Being "blind" might be how she copes with the problem, hence not having to be "crazy, suicidal, or severely depressed".

There is also a term called "hysterical blindness". After a quick search, a good example. And here is the actual disorder.

Edit:
and what Rising Dragon said.
Mr.Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:15   Link #943
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
What is this World of C means? its look like Heaven or Hell, Life and Death?
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:17   Link #944
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I don't buy it but whatever the reason it shouldn't be trauma.
I believe that her eye issue has not been resolved to the satisfaction of many fans. It may pop up again as the series progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
What is this World of C means? its look like Heaven or Hell, Life and Death?
We are not sure ourselves. But...
Spoiler for well, spoilers:
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 16:20   Link #945
Mr.Mo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Is Kaguya actually married with Zero?? OR she just calls him husband.
Mr.Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 16:22   Link #946
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mo View Post
Is Kaguya actually married with Zero?? OR she just calls him husband.
They're not married. Kaguya adores Zero and considers herself the only suitable woman to marry him, as she says she'd accept him regardless of not knowing his identity. Lelouch, on the other hand, has shown no such romantic interest in her.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 00:58   Link #947
Holyprism
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Send a message via ICQ to Holyprism
I have two questions:

First, is britannia actually America or an empire which consists of GB and America? Because the maps always show the whole american continent as part of the empire.

And why are there so many german names among the britain people? Like "Stadtfeld" and even in the titles of the successors appear thnings like "La, Le" or "Vi" which isn't english as well (neither is it german, but still... )
Holyprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 01:01   Link #948
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Apparently the first of the Britannia family came from Great Britain, but that country was lost to Napoleon, and the Royal family of Great Britain escaped to America, which was still under Britain's control. Therefore, Britannia is America.

I can't answer that second question.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 01:09   Link #949
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Oh my god. The last time I visited this thread it was still in single digits page.

The Code Geass forum is actually often bigger than even the Naruto one at times here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyprism View Post
First, is britannia actually America or an empire which consists of GB and America? Because the maps always show the whole american continent as part of the empire.
The information only exists in supplementary materials, which I have no direct contact with -- you've got to ask the local regular fanatics on that; I like CG but not that much -- but Code Geass is set in an alternate world where the American Revolution failed, apparently because Ben Franklin betrayed the Americans or something. So technically the current ruling family is traditionally the British monarchs, although their bloodline "Vi/La/Le/whatever Britannia" is obviously fictional. Apparently the Tudors lasted longer than they did historically and the Britannias succeeded them.

However, something happened during this alternate timeline that apparently got Britannia driven out of Europe (probably by everyone's favorite Emperor of France, Bonaparte) which made North America the new Imperial heartlands.

See detailed discussion in the relevant CG thread (History and Geography or something) for real info.

Quote:
And why are there so many german names among the britain people? Like "Stadtfeld" and even in the titles of the successors appear thnings like "La, Le" or "Vi" which isn't english as well (neither is it german, but still... )
"Lelouch Lamperouge" is a name that is French to the core...or at least, the French version of "Engrish." We are VERY MUCH amused at the irony of the prodigal son of the Emperor of Britannia to be named in French. []

In other words, don't ask, don't tell -- it's "Engrish." They probably just wanted everyone to sound aristocratic. And Lady Aberdeen isn't as gloriously pompous as Duchesse d'Anjou, Sophie-Louise Françoise Marie d'Orleans et de Bourbon.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 01:20   Link #950
GeostigmataShi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
"Lelouch Lamperouge" is a name that is French to the core...or at least, the French version of "Engrish." We are VERY MUCH amused at the irony of the prodigal son of the Emperor of Britannia to be named in French. []

In other words, don't ask, don't tell -- it's "Engrish." They probably just wanted everyone to sound aristocratic. And Lady Aberdeen isn't as gloriously pompous as Duchesse d'Anjou, Sophie-Louise Françoise Marie d'Orleans et de Bourbon.
i think he mean Lelouch Vi Brtitania not Lelouch Lamparouge
GeostigmataShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 01:22   Link #951
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeostigmataShi View Post
i think he mean Lelouch Vi Brtitania not Lelouch Lamparouge
I know. I was referring to the general naming scheme of this series -- how it only marginally adheres to European naming conventions, as well as ignoring certain linguistic barriers familiar to Westerners -- by using Lelouch's name as an example.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 09:52   Link #952
king12354
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Okay, the deal with Nunnally's eyes is this. The trauma of the incident, seeing her mother brutally murdered, compounded with the damage to her legs, caused her brain to literally shut down the synapses and nerves and everything to her eyes. No information is being transmitted from her eyes and translated in the brain. Physically, no damage was caused to these pathways, and normally she can see. However, they were "shut down" in a sense as a psychological response to the event. This means there IS a chance for her to see once more, though most consider it unlikely.

Lelouch would not be of the belief that his sister could see again if her blindness was caused by physical damage that destroyed her eyes or the nerves and such connecting her eyes to her brain. If that had happened, it'd be a different story. As for keeping her eyes closed, I imagine that is solely the work of the artist illustrating the anime, and probably it is more comfortable for her to keep her eyes closed. Not to mention its probably more comfortable for everyone else if her eyes were closed, so Nunnally is not constantly creeping them out with her cheerful demeanor and her soulless, glassy, staring eyes.
Are you a doctor? Is there any evidence of this ever happening? Does seeing your mother get killed and getting your legs shot at somehow equal to shutting down her eyes? Think about it carefully and you realize it doesn't make sense.

Mr.Mo, do you believe Nunally is hysteric? And i see nothing of being blind in your links although I do see impaired vision...
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 10:16   Link #953
Dream_Traveller
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Does it really matter? She's blind, and she's been like that since she was 10. Explanation done and dusted, can we please get over this?
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 10:32   Link #954
Delusional
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Does it really matter? She's blind, and she's been like that since she was 10. Explanation done and dusted, can we please get over this?
And best of all, we got some loli fanservice in the process!
Delusional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 11:10   Link #955
Mr.Mo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I'm a noob when it comes to anime terms. What's a "loli"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Are you a doctor? Is there any evidence of this ever happening? Does seeing your mother get killed and getting your legs shot at somehow equal to shutting down her eyes? Think about it carefully and you realize it doesn't make sense.

Mr.Mo, do you believe Nunally is hysteric? And i see nothing of being blind in your links although I do see impaired vision...
Do you even know what impaired vision is?
The first link gives an example of a kid being temporarily blind because of an incident. The second one gives the disorder. Impaired vision is blindness to a degree, it just means how blind you are.... Link the dots, think objectively, that's all i can say.

Also, about Nunally being hysteric:
Quote:
hys·te·ri·a Audio Help /hɪˈstɛriə, -ˈstɪər-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hi-ster-ee-uh, -steer-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality, laughter, weeping, etc.(In Nunally's case, you can see how scared she was in the flasback's)
2. Psychoanalysis. a psychoneurotic disorder characterized by violent emotional outbreaks, disturbances of sensory and motor functions, and various abnormal effects due to autosuggestion.
3. Psychiatry. conversion disorder.
To summarize all that, she saw her mother get killed in front of her and got scared(among other things), she got blind. The End.

Also, your reply to the other guy... Just because you never experienced or have seen other experience it doesn't mean its not out there. There are hundreds of disorders that make people go "WTF" and I'm 100% sure you never heard/seen/experienced about most of them, but they exist.

Infect it makes perfect sense that seeing her mother get killed on her would lead to her blindness(however it may last).

I think i understand what you are saying: "Nunnaly doesn't seem sad or mentally messed up." but on the contrary, you don't know that but also, as you can see, it might not be because her mother died but because she was scared to death(or other various reasons.) This also doesn't mean she will recover by just being happy and/or accepting her mother's death. Its not as if she is staying blind willingly. I get the impression you are thinking that she is.

I don't mean to insult you or anything, this is my last post on this issue. She could be faking it for all i care but what I'm trying to say is, her condition is 100% possible.
Mr.Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 15:57   Link #956
GeostigmataShi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 22
Blind from trauma case is rare BUT not impossible
BTW i wonder will geass work on nunally? i mean she's blind...
GeostigmataShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:03   Link #957
She-Chan
Anime no Tono
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: England
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to She-Chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeostigmataShi View Post
Blind from trauma case is rare BUT not impossible
BTW i wonder will geass work on nunally? i mean she's blind...
It depends:
Lelouch's geass won't work on nunally because it needs direct eye contact but other Geasses like Rollo's could work on nunally.
__________________
She-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 11:12   Link #958
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Chan View Post
It depends:
Lelouch's geass won't work on nunally because it needs direct eye contact but other Geasses like Rollo's could work on nunally.
Does Rai's geass work on Nunnally? I don't know if there is such a situation in the game where he will geass Nunnally. His Geass works via sound. The only possible chapter should be the Blue Moon chapter if there is.
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 12:08   Link #959
She-Chan
Anime no Tono
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: England
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to She-Chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
Does Rai's geass work on Nunnally? I don't know if there is such a situation in the game where he will geass Nunnally. His Geass works via sound. The only possible chapter should be the Blue Moon chapter if there is.
If it works via sound then yes he would be able to use geass on Nunnally
__________________
She-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 13:09   Link #960
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: below the sky, inside the time
Hmm...
I want to ask something...
Did Jeremiah get the Geass Canceller from V.V or from when he become a test subject?
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
q&a

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.