AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-17, 02:28   Link #281
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
First off, good to see you again Sol Falling, it's been a while

Second off, I'm not really a fan of NoN because...well, actually I haven't read it But if it is good half as good as you say it is Sol I may give it a look. Does anyone have any idea if it's been licensed in the U.S. or if they plan to release it here soon?

BTW, just out of curiosity, does Shirley play any role in it? And if so, to what extent?
Hey Nobodyman9; indeed it has. I'm actually in the middle of a pretty long post for the Shirley thread (it's been sitting there for a couple days) so you might see me in there pretty soon.

Given what's been said in this thread, it seems that NoN is indeed liscensed, although no volumes have been released yet. As for how good I say it is, it's really the absence of a lot of the useless/undeveloped crap from the anime, greater development for a lot of the plot points which actually weren't (useless/undeveloped), and a couple of really great plot twists. Shirley, though, doesn't seem to be playing a major role, having disappeared after the hoteljacking incident. It's unfortunate, but kinda expected, given that this series' premise was that Lelouch had died and all. On the other hand, this means that there doesn't seem to be any Lelouch shipping at all, which is great because I consider all the Kallen and C.C. fanservice in R2 one of its great wastes of time, as C.C.'s development never went anywhere and Kallen's love, though I suppose important for her character development, really never did anything significant for the plot.

Rolo also isn't a delusional/psychotic little bitch in this version, and actually the subject of a rather substansive plot twist, which is again great because it makes him immediately more likeable. This is just another example of how NoN seems to be able to trim the useless fanservice (yaoi this time) and actually bring something meaningful to the story.

lol sorry I am totally trolling.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Your post clearly was the immediate catalyst for mine, that's rather easy to notice, but my statements weren't just directed at you alone and are meant as a response to the general vibe about NoN that seems to be present around here and even elsewhere on the net.

You are certainly not alone in that respect, but I am not suggesting that NoN should not or could not be enjoyed. The very fact that I am definitely planning to buy it, whenever the manga is officially released in the U.S., would be a positive sign as far as that goes so my words aren't meant to absolutely discourage its enjoyment as, perhaps, a kind of supplement to the series in as much as it admittedly didn't fulfill a lot of its promise, for a number of complicated reasons, while NoN seems to be better structured.

It's more of an attempt to ask people to briefly look back at what NoN actually is and why a direct comparison with the show, beyond personal enjoyment which may be based on objective grounds but is ultimately also subjective, runs into several issues. That's really the main message, if you want to describe it as such, that I intend to transmit.
Everything else is up for debate.
Ah, sorry about that. Yeah, I got that you were responding to the vibe, but as far as I saw I was the only one making direct comparisons to the anime (in terms of better/worse) so my response was to address that part specifically.

Anyway, as far as that goes, I certainly agree that it would be tough to compare the two individually, and indeed only endorse NoN as a supplement. However, even as a supplement, I still feel that NoN is objectively better written than the original, and as a result is more enjoyable, especially for people who, like myself, found the second season's writing lacking.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2009-05-17 at 02:48.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 02:55   Link #282
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Hey Nobodyman9; indeed it has. I'm actually in the middle of a pretty long post for the Shirley thread (it's been sitting there for a couple days) so you might see me in there pretty soon.
Ooh, you tantalizing bastard. LOL, just kidding. Looking forward to seein git.

Quote:
Given what's been said in this thread, it seems that NoN is indeed liscensed, although no volumes have been released yet. As for how good I say it is, it's really the absence of a lot of the useless/undeveloped crap from the anime, greater development for a lot of the plot points which actually weren't (useless/undeveloped), and a couple of really great plot twists. Shirley, though, doesn't seem to be playing a major role, having disappeared after the hoteljacking incident. It's unfortunate, but kinda expected, given that this series' premise was that Lelouch had died and all. On the other hand, this means that there doesn't seem to be any Lelouch shipping at all, which is great because I consider all the Kallen and C.C. fanservice in R2 one of its great wastes of time, as C.C.'s development never went anywhere and Kallen's love, though I suppose important for her character development, really never did anything significant for the plot.

Rolo also isn't a delusional/psychotic little bitch in this version, and actually the subject of a rather substansive plot twist, which is again great because it makes him immediately more likeable. This is just another example of how NoN seems to be able to trim the useless fanservice (yaoi this time) and actually bring something meaningful to the story.
Hmm, well I must admit that it sounds very interesting, despite the Shirley abscense (hey, at least she's not dead ) If they ever do start releasing the NoN volumes here in the states I think I may go and pick them, being a pretty big CG fan and all.

Quote:
lol sorry I am totally trolling.
LOL, I don't think you're trolling. You're responding to my question, and giving your opinion in an honest constructive manner (though, I guess your critiques about R2 weren't entirely necessary )
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 04:40   Link #283
ClovisLaBritannia
1 of the Four Holy Swords
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Area 11/Japan
Question

so im curious about suzaku of the counterattack, So is all this stuff about Schneizel true? it seems like BS to me:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneiz..._Counterattack
ClovisLaBritannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 07:21   Link #284
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
In spite of all the NoN praise and subsequent hype, let me play the devil's advocate since it's intellectually stimulating to do so, even if it's a very thankless job all the same...so with all due respect, isn't NoN just great fanfiction or great fanservice, in the most flexible meaning of the term, since ultimately it can be nothing more than a derivative work?

It has shufflied around the same cards but not even for playing the same game. This isn't just a different version of the story, it's a different story altogether where you have to change almost everything around in subtle and not so subtle ways, with just a similar coat of paint on top which would be the familiar (or so you would think) faces.

Reading all these summaries all the way to the end of NoN doesn't quite give me the impression that, while there are similar themes involved, the concepts and events involved would really play out that well in the show itself unless you just rewrote the entire story to suit its needs from the ground up. Which isn't even possible.

Because, you know...the elephant in the room is that it's also much easier to build a new building using a foundation that already exists, when you can pick and choose what construction elements you like and don't have to face the same kind of pressures or make the same compromises that the original arquitects did. It's like saying that there are Evangelion fanfics/doujinshi that are superior to the original work, or that the manga is better written than the TV series (and this is arguably quite true, actually).

I wonder if the writer of NoN could have done a better job than the anime writer if their positions had been reversed. Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about a manga here, after all, and the process involved in making it was surely very different from that of the TV series. This same NoN writer would still have had to make an unexpected set of changes from one season to the next and deal with the fact that the show was now on prime time, which created new demands. That doesn't really apply to an alternate manga adaptation nor to most anime series. The neat little outline that NoN seems to have followed, with the not insignificant benefit of being able to take "inspiration" from the anime, would not exist.

I'll buy the NoN volumes when they're released in English, since it does look like a cool story with very interesting ways to mix and match the original material, for which the author should be rightfully praised, but for me that is not going to replace the original series in any way, as flawed but also as charming as it is, nor do I think it's just a matter of pointing out how much better it supposedly is in a vacuum.

Now let the flaming and ostracism begin.
I chalk it up to the old internet phenomenon where the availability of the product is directly inverse to how much people hype it up and treat it like it's the greatest thing ever. NoN is obscure and hard to find so therefore it must be better then the anime, and the anime is the most bashed show in recent memory and readily available so therefore by the laws of the internet NoN must be better than the "horrible" anime.

Personally I don't see how one could say that the manga is superior to the anime. The manga wouldn't exist without the anime's creation to give it a foundation and really it's just a retelling. Of course given how immature and trollish some people get now whenever they discuss the R2 anime I guess in their minds any version of the story is somehow superior. Also if you ask me the art in NoN is pretty awful and more inconsistant then even the weakest parts of the anime, so anybody that claims it's superior is probably just trying to bash the anime.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-17 at 07:33.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 17:05   Link #285
Sherby~
herp derp
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your computer monitor.
Age: 19
Hey, does anyone have a scanlation for the 17th chapter of Nightmare of Nunnally? I've already read chapters 1-16, but I can't find chapter 17 anywhere.
__________________
Sherby~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 17:38   Link #286
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherby~ View Post
Hey, does anyone have a scanlation for the 17th chapter of Nightmare of Nunnally? I've already read chapters 1-16, but I can't find chapter 17 anywhere.
You'll just have to wait a bit since they're still being released.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 18:16   Link #287
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I chalk it up to the old internet phenomenon where the availability of the product is directly inverse to how much people hype it up and treat it like it's the greatest thing ever. NoN is obscure and hard to find so therefore it must be better then the anime, and the anime is the most bashed show in recent memory and readily available so therefore by the laws of the internet NoN must be better than the "horrible" anime.

Personally I don't see how one could say that the manga is superior to the anime. The manga wouldn't exist without the anime's creation to give it a foundation and really it's just a retelling. Of course given how immature and trollish some people get now whenever they discuss the R2 anime I guess in their minds any version of the story is somehow superior. Also if you ask me the art in NoN is pretty awful and more inconsistant then even the weakest parts of the anime, so anybody that claims it's superior is probably just trying to bash the anime.
Now Now Kaio, no need to take it out on the manga if we're angry with trolls. Plus the artwork was pretty good by most manga standards, challenging a whole staff of animators with budgets up the whazoo for a high profile project like Code Geass that is very much dependent on its graphic animation is a little unfair. The story itself was a very interesting set of twist that I found very enjoyable even comparison to the anime.
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 01:38   Link #288
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I chalk it up to the old internet phenomenon where the availability of the product is directly inverse to how much people hype it up and treat it like it's the greatest thing ever. NoN is obscure and hard to find so therefore it must be better then the anime, and the anime is the most bashed show in recent memory and readily available so therefore by the laws of the internet NoN must be better than the "horrible" anime.

Personally I don't see how one could say that the manga is superior to the anime. The manga wouldn't exist without the anime's creation to give it a foundation and really it's just a retelling. Of course given how immature and trollish some people get now whenever they discuss the R2 anime I guess in their minds any version of the story is somehow superior. Also if you ask me the art in NoN is pretty awful and more inconsistant then even the weakest parts of the anime, so anybody that claims it's superior is probably just trying to bash the anime.
Oh Kaioshin, will you ever get over your persecution complex and actually manage to speak with some perspective? If you're going to try to insert yourself into a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with you (honestly, calling NoN 'just a retelling' makes it clear you've hardly looked at it in the first place), at least have the courtesy to look past your 'everyone who disagrees with me is a mindless internet sheep' dogma for a moment and actually try to understand what people are saying.

Here is some art from Code Geass (I remembered this pic, so I just google searched Cornelia):



You're seriously want to try saying NoN is worse?
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 02:46   Link #289
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Oh Kaioshin, will you ever get over your persecution complex and actually manage to speak with some perspective? If you're going to try to insert yourself into a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with you (honestly, calling NoN 'just a retelling' makes it clear you've hardly looked at it in the first place), at least have the courtesy to look past your 'everyone who disagrees with me is a mindless internet sheep' dogma for a moment and actually try to understand what people are saying.

Here is some art from Code Geass (I remembered this pic, so I just google searched Cornelia):



You're seriously want to try saying NoN is worse?
Oh god no.....0.5 seconds of a character turning in the distance that somebody actively trolling the show had to go through an episode with a fine tooth comb to find and then blow up several times in order to make seem awful. This is totally not invocative of something that might happen in any series if you go looking for it. No not at all.....

Seriously did you even bother to ask why that collection of frames looks so pixelated? Yeah I am challenging that NoN looks worse on average, because that is just a blown up set of frames made to look bad by trolls and not at all an example of how Code Geass looks on average. Seriously how do you expect that this 4chan fodder pic proves anything?

Let's do this right now shall we?





I mean for god sakes son, half the time they don't even bother to draw faces in NoN. Even the worst frame in Code Geass R2, blown up or not doesnt' have anything like this.

There you go, that was your chance, noted, countered, done. Next time come up with an actual valid comparison/contrast instead of just posting 4chan meme pics, because right now I am facing this head on and have provided far more examples then you have for someone who apparently is "lacking perspective". Also this is a public board and anything posted here concerns everyone, interest in Code Geass or not, so if you have an issue with people jumping into a conversation then you have an issue with message boards in general, in which case I have to ask what you were expecting by posting in one. If you didn't want people responding then you could have used the PM function.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-18 at 03:17.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 02:49   Link #290
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Off models will exist. As long as someone in the drawing team is slacking off (or simply too tired), they will appear. To me, if a story can be reduced to being told in words and still sound ok, it's not bad for me. Both R2 and NoN are in that category.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 03:34   Link #291
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Oh god no.....0.5 seconds of a character turning in the distance that somebody actively trolling the show had to go through an episode with a fine tooth comb to find and then blow up several times in order to make seem awful. This is totally not invocative of something that might happen in any series if you go looking for it. No not at all.....

Seriously did you even bother to ask why that collection of frames looks so pixelated? Yeah I am challenging that NoN looks worse on average, because that is just a blown up set of frames made to look bad by trolls and not at all an example of how Code Geass looks on average. Seriously how do you expect that this 4chan fodder pic proves anything?

Let's do this right now shall we?





There you go, that was your chance, noted, countered, done. Next time come up with an actual comparison.

I mean for god sakes son, half the time they don't even bother to draw faces in the Manga. Even the worst frame in Code Geass R2, blown up or not doesnt' have anything like this.
lol. So disfigured art like the above (you know that's hardly the only example) is totally trivial, but a couple missing faces isn't? I'm talking about consistency here (a minimal level of competence in every drawing), and NoN has that hands down.

Yeah, so one page from NoN (which can hardly be called totally representative) looks slightly worse than one screen from the anime (equally so). What exactly is that supposed to prove? Can you actually point out any glaring flaws in the art there? The point about NoN's art is, you know what you're going to get, rather than flipping around all over the place from peaks like the final episode to troughs like the pic I brought up(episode 22). No doubt that is easier to achieve with a monthly manga than an anime, but you're just being a shill if you expect that to make a difference to the end user.

And you know, this nitpicking shit was never even the point for me with the art, and I can just trust you to dive right into it, right? All I wanted to do by bringing up NoN's art in the first place was spread the greatness of pics of like this (I suppose not expecting it would make it funnier, but still -- he looks like such a self-satisfied bitch. Instantly ups Lloyd's awesome factor.). You'd do a much better job of defending Code Geass (or whatever it is you really care about, Kaioshin) if you actually bothered to communicate the things you enjoyed about it, you know.

edit:

(adding this)

Quote:
There you go, that was your chance, noted, countered, done. Next time come up with an actual valid comparison/contrast instead of just posting 4chan meme pics, because right now I am facing this head on and have provided far more examples then you have for someone who apparently is "lacking perspective". Also this is a public board and anything posted here concerns everyone, interest in Code Geass or not, so if you have an issue with people jumping into a conversation then you have an issue with message boards in general, in which case I have to ask what you were expecting by posting in one. If you didn't want people responding then you could have used the PM function.
What I meant by 'jumping into a conversation' was presuming you are qualified to speak on a topic you don't care for and instantly revealing your lack of research, and furthermore completely ignoring significant chunks of the existing conversation to try to make a point that's already been made. I don't mind you posting Kaioshin, I just expect a minimum level of respect (an attempt to actually communicate).
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2009-05-18 at 03:44.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 04:08   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol. So disfigured art like the above (you know that's hardly the only example) is totally trivial, but a couple missing faces isn't? I'm talking about consistency here (a minimal level of competence in every drawing), and NoN has that hands down.
Okay, demonstrate it then? Keeping in mind that it's a manga series of still shots and the anime is comprised of thousands of individual frames in any given episode of which you are liable to find at least one that is somewhat off if you are going looking for one. Though again the fact that your 4chan fodder shot (which by the way is not a picture but as I have already mentioned several times is actually a set of sequential frames comprising approximately 0.5 seconds worth of animation of Cornelia turning in a doorway off in the distance blown up and zoomed in to make it look like a close up shot) that has already been posted so many times and never in the proper context is all I've got to go on comparison wise leaves me underwhelmed.

Quote:
Yeah, so one page from NoN (which can hardly be called totally representative) looks slightly worse than one screen from the anime (equally so). What exactly is that supposed to prove? Can you actually point out any glaring flaws in the art there? The point about NoN's art is, you know what you're going to get, rather than flipping around all over the place from peaks like the final episode to troughs like the pic I brought up(episode 22). No doubt that is easier to achieve with a monthly manga than an anime, but you're just being a shill if you expect that to make a difference to the end user.
This could just as easily be turned around you know? I mean you took the point on using one sequence in CG R2 as an example of it's apparently awful art. You didn't help your case by starting off on that note and inviting the same level of comparison. Especially when you consider that the point you are trying to make is that the manga's art beats the shows hands down, which you have done little to prove other than insisting it's the case.

By the way, I linked more than one page you know.

Quote:
And you know, this nitpicking shit was never even the point for me with the art, and I can just trust you to dive right into it, right? All I wanted to do by bringing up NoN's art in the first place was spread the greatness of pics of like this (I suppose not expecting it would make it funnier, but still -- he looks like such a self-satisfied bitch. Instantly ups Lloyd's awesome factor.). You'd do a much better job of defending Code Geass (or whatever it is you really care about, Kaioshin) if you actually bothered to communicate the things you enjoyed about it, you know.
.....Lolwut? Are you seriously calling me out like I'm not communicating here despite the fact that I am posting a message and addressing you quote by quote? That I find that disrespectful, especially considering that you could easily find a ton of examples of what I enjoyed about Code Geass here and on my blog if you bothered to look. I've already gone over that sort of thing before and that's a different issue altogether. This is an issue about you knocking the art of the series and stating that the Manga beats it, and me disagreeing. I post a comparison contrast of similiar shots between the Manga and Anime. You present a still shot of Lloyd looking smug as an example of NoN's apparently superior artwork, and yet there are many many shots of characters like this in the series itself that look even more detailed. Sorry, but what exactly does this shot of yours prove? Time to get on the same page Sol Falling.


Quote:
What I meant by 'jumping into a conversation' was presuming you are qualified to speak on a topic you don't care for and instantly revealing your lack of research, and furthermore completely ignoring significant chunks of the existing conversation to try to make a point that's already been made. I don't mind you posting Kaioshin, I just expect a minimum level of respect (an attempt to actually communicate).
Sorry I fail to see what huge error in ettiquete I have made here. I wasn't aware that I had to quote somebody else before I could quote you or whatever it is you are taking issue with. Though I do find it laughable that you are claiming I don't care about Code Geass. I will take that as a joke rather than an insult because it's just to nonsensical to be taken seriously.

What I don't get is this whole "communication" thing you've got going on. What is this you are even getting at? How are we not communicating exactly? I'd also like to know why exactly you think I am not qualfiied to speak on the topic of Code Geass? I am listening.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-18 at 04:21.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 04:43   Link #293
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
*sigh* Missing the point again, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Okay, demonstrate it then? Keeping in mind that it's a manga series of still shots and the anime is comprised of thousands of individual frames in any given episode of which you are liable to find at least one that is somewhat off if you are going looking for one. Though again the fact that your 4chan fodder shot that has already been posted so many times is blown up makes it an inaccurate representation of the series consistency as a whole.
You know, I hardly think I should have to bother. You obviously aren't willing to admit that Code Geass's animation is littered with ugly, low quality animation and I am willing enough to believe in other people's ability to think for themselves that I'm not going to bother correcting you. R2's animation isn't terrible, but there are a number of instances which demonstrate less than quality workmanship while with NoN the level of quality is more standardized. As you've even admitted, this is more likely to happen with an anime than a manga so I hardly see why we have to debate this.

Quote:
This could just as easily be turned around you know? I mean you took the point on using one sequence in CG R2 as an example of it's apparently awful art. You didn't help your case by starting off on that note and inviting the same level of comparison. Especially when you consider that the point you are trying to make is that the manga's art beats the shows hands down, which you have done little to prove other than insisting it's the case.
I only mentioned 'consistency' winning hands down. I'm not going to go through every page of NoN and every screen of the anime just to prove it. I'm just going to ask people to trust me on this, based on their own experiences with the anime, and by offering the idea that yes, a manga being a series of still frames, it should be easier to maintain a consistent level of quality.

Quote:
By the way, I linked more than one page you know.
Okay, and what was so bad about the others aside from the missing faces?

Quote:
.....Lolwut? Are you seriously calling me out like I'm not communicating here despite the fact that I am posting a message and addressing you quote by quote? That I find that disrespectful, especially considering that you could easily find a ton of examples of what I enjoyed about Code Geass here and on my blog if you bothered to look. I've already gone over that sort of thing before and that's a different issue altogether. This is an issue about you knocking the art of the series and stating that the Manga beats it, and me disagreeing. I post a comparison contrast of similiar shots between the Manga and Anime. You present a still shot of Lloyd looking smug as an example of NoN's apparently superior artwork, and yet there are many many shots of characters like this in the series itself that look even more detailed. Sorry, but what exactly does this shot of yours prove? Time to get on the same page Sol Falling.
I am calling you out on what seem to be your motivations. What I want to do is spread the love for NoN, because I genuinely enjoy it and think others would too. My negative impressions on the series proper are just an aside, and can almost be called irrelevant because anybody who's in the Code Geass subforum will probably have watched the series themselves already and formed their own opinions. Your business, on the other hand, seems to be exclusively focused on censoring other people's already formulated opinions by characterizing them as blind internet memetism. Can you just not wrap your head around the fact that people enjoy Nightmare of Nunally, Kaioshin? (before you start claiming you can, just take the small step forward from that and wrap your head around the next idea that some people might then enjoy NoN more than they did the anime. That is really all the comparison was meant to communicate.)

If you'd actually paid attention to my first post in this thread, you'd know that I find the subtle changes in character design present in NoN quite thrilling. The idea of Lloyd being a smug aristocratic know-it-all rather than the whacky scientist we are all familiar with is quite cool (in my opinion). That was what my posting of that pic was supposed to communicate, Kaioshin, while I fail to see how that collection of pics you brought up in response serves any purpose at all.

Quote:
Sorry I fail to see what huge error in ettiquete I have made here. I wasn't aware that I had to quote somebody else before I could quote you or whatever it is you are taking issue with. Though I do find it laughable that you are claiming I don't care about Code Geass. I will take that as a joke rather than an insult because it's just to nonsensical to be taken seriously.
lol. I wasn't talking about quoting anybody, but obviously I have to spell this out for you (as you can't be bothered to go back and actually read what has already been said). You brought up Nightmare of Nunally being a derivative product of Code Geass as if it were some new idea disqualifying any statement as to the former's superiority. If you'd actually bothered to pay attention to Xander's and my conversation, you'd have noticed that this was in fact one of his central points and that I had already addressed and even conceded it.

There's your error in ettiquette. Having the decency to actually pay attention to what the people you're talking to are saying.

Quote:
What I don't get is this whole "communication" thing you've got going on. What is this you are even getting at? How are we not communicating exactly? I'd also like to know why exactly you think I am not qualfiied to speak on the topic of Code Geass? I am listening.
Given your lack of familiarity with NoN, you are not qualified to speak about its enjoyability. The way you're focusing on its art here, when clearly the brunt of its appeal lies in its tighter writing and alternative storyline, only serves to further emphasize this.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 05:31   Link #294
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post

What I want to do is spread the love for NoN, because I genuinely enjoy it and think others would too. My negative impressions on the series proper are just an aside, and can almost be called irrelevant because anybody who's in the Code Geass subforum will probably have watched the series themselves already and formed their own opinions.
I suppose I can accept this, though I still don't understand why you felt the need to pull an x>y argument on the show and expect nobody to question it. After all I'm about spreading love for Code Geass in general, which includes the anime and I tend to like to address what I find to be unfair knocks at the show like your posting of that Cornelia 4chan fodder that you admit you don't even really know the proper context of. That was especially irksome considering that intially I was replying to Xander and you were the one that barged in by posting that fodder and while proceeding to call me out on a "lack of ettiquette" as well as to question my intentions as being motivated by a "persecution complex" and featuring a lack of perspective. So yeah, why you expected any the above to go over well is well beyond my ability to comprehend.

And by the way I've read all of NoN that is available to me so yeah I am qualified to speak about it and I still stand by my previous statement that I don't find the artwork or character designs nearly as a appealing as those in the anime and I will settle it for being a difference of taste if you will. Please though, next time don't assume that I haven't read something as it's really insulting.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-18 at 05:49.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 06:15   Link #295
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I suppose I can accept this, though I still don't understand why you felt the need to pull an x>y argument on the show and expect nobody to question it. After all I'm about spreading love for Code Geass in general, which includes the anime and I tend to like to address what I find to be unfair knocks at the show like your posting of that Cornelia 4chan fodder that you admit you don't even really know the proper context of. That was especially irksome considering that intially I was replying to Xander and you were the one that barged in by posting that fodder and while proceeding to call me out on a "lack of ettiquette" as well as to question my intentions as being motivated by a "persecution complex" and featuring a lack of perspective. So yeah, why you expected any the above to go over well is well beyond my ability to comprehend.
:P I'll take this reconciliation, but two things. First, Xander did question my x>y argument before you did, and we managed to have a fairly contained discussion about it. Second, although your post was talking to Xander, the actual topic you were addressing was my opinion (since no one else in this thread seems to have made any x>y manga anime comparisons). Since you were painting all the NoN praise with a broad brush as motivated by anime bashing, not even bothering to address me when I as a representative of that NoN praise was right there, I don't really see how you expected that to go over well either.

Quote:
And by the way I've read all of NoN that is available to me so yeah I am qualified to speak about it and I still stand by my previous statement that I don't find the artwork or character designs nearly as a appealing as those in the anime and I will settle it for being a difference of taste if you will. Please though, next time don't assume that I haven't read something as it's really insulting.
Since you did read it, I'll apologize. Your decision to focus on the art aspect of the comparison when I had hardly spoken on it for longer than a sentence was honestly baffling, however.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 11:51   Link #296
Bonzo
I change anime endings.
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Italy
Age: 36
Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
I use the way to not draw faces in the panels with little arts too, it's useful to spare time and to evade to ruin all.
But the characters are very little.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:17   Link #297
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Spoiler for Irregulars:
__________________
Old McDonald had a farm...Eyey Eyey O...And on his farm he had a Khzithak...Eyey Eyey O...With a ARHHFAHHAAAAAAAAARRRGIIIAAA HELP AAAUUU HELP! IT'S GNAWING OFF MY...
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 23:50   Link #298
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Might want to remove the link.

However, having finally seen the opening, how in the name of C's World did a pocketwatch protect Suzaku from a gunshot to the head? It boggles the mind.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 23:35   Link #299
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I read it...

Spoiler for NoN ending:
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 12:36   Link #300
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Another question that I want to ask is regarding the Code Geass Manga. I know that the first 3 are licensed. However, what about the 4th manga/novel that Has Lelouch in the 19th century? Was that ever translated? I know that it's the only one that was released in the U.S. market.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.