AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-11-19, 22:44   Link #201
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
It was our pleasure.



As I sing, I really get depressed. Of the hundreds of karaoke tracks I have, I realize that very, very few of them are actually really singable by me. Is anyone else feeling this?
I just don't have the sort of range to sing a lot of these songs. It also happens that the majority of songs I like are sung by women. It's hard finding slow-ish songs sung.

I wish we could alter pitch = (
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 23:26   Link #202
basket
World's first BBSing cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Surrounded by ducks in the WA Eastside
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
It also happens that the majority of songs I like are sung by women. It's hard finding slow-ish songs sung. I wish we could alter pitch = (
Actually (totally IMO), that's what makes this competition really fun. You have to work within the limits of the original song and your own voice without any aids.

It is hard finding good songs, but sometimes with enough practice you can push your voice to do things you never thought possible!
__________________
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 23:29   Link #203
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
That's true, it's a lot of fun, but it sucks sounding like scheiße =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 00:14   Link #204
Cz
Needs more sleep~
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: #animesuki
I have the same problem, that's why it's sometimes so hard to find songs to sing. It also has to be a song I like otherwise what's the point?

It gets worse when looking for a song for the duet karacomp, which thankfully is once a year, although sometimes I wish I could sing more duets with people because that's fun. ^_^
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 00:24   Link #205
basket
World's first BBSing cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Surrounded by ducks in the WA Eastside
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
That's true, it's a lot of fun, but it sucks sounding like scheiße =P
That's true... You can also submit purely instrumental karaokes though, if that's more along your line.
__________________
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 00:28   Link #206
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
For the duets, did people actually sing songs that were meant to be duets, or make a solo song into a duet?

Pure instrumentals, eh. Maybe I'll hum the tune =P
You're moving to northwest USA? I'm moving to Seattle soon = (
*is sad*
I hate the cold >.>
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 00:32   Link #207
basket
World's first BBSing cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Surrounded by ducks in the WA Eastside
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
For the duets, did people actually sing songs that were meant to be duets, or make a solo song into a duet?
Both (though I think it's easier to find a solo, but a bit harder to turn it into a duet). My entry with llama in the last DKC was a solo song that we somehow turned into a duet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
Pure instrumentals, eh. Maybe I'll hum the tune =P
I don't think you can hum the tune (can you, kcl? ) but you can certainly perform it on a piano, a guitar, a violin, a set of tubular bells (though if you don't drive everyone insane, that might be really interesting ), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
You're moving to northwest USA? I'm moving to Seattle soon = ( *is sad* I hate the cold >.>
Since I've never experienced really cold weather, I'm actually looking forward to it. Including cycling in the rain and snow.
__________________
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 00:52   Link #208
Laethiel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwl12 View Post
I'm pretty sure that singing in a different octave of the same key is fine because I do it all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
Of the hundreds of karaoke tracks I have, I realize that very, very few of them are actually really singable by me. Is anyone else feeling this?
I just don't have the sort of range to sing a lot of these songs. It also happens that the majority of songs I like are sung by women. It's hard finding slow-ish songs sung.

I wish we could alter pitch = (
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket View Post
Actually (totally IMO), that's what makes this competition really fun. You have to work within the limits of the original song and your own voice without any aids.

It is hard finding good songs, but sometimes with enough practice you can push your voice to do things you never thought possible!
Hmm, I could be misunderstanding, but from what Providence and basket said, would that mean that we can't actually sing something in a different octave? I'd like to know the official position of kcl822 on this since, while I'm going to be singing something without changing the octave, two friends of mine are planning on singing songs in lower octaves than the original.
Laethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 01:29   Link #209
honvl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
As I sing, I really get depressed. Of the hundreds of karaoke tracks I have, I realize that very, very few of them are actually really singable by me. Is anyone else feeling this?
I just don't have the sort of range to sing a lot of these songs. It also happens that the majority of songs I like are sung by women. It's hard finding slow-ish songs sung.
Same here! Most girl songs sound really improper when sung by guys. I also have the same problem with pronunciation from some guy songs. I just don't know how to modulate my articulation to sound like a rapper or like an angry Japanese person.
honvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 01:48   Link #210
basket
World's first BBSing cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Surrounded by ducks in the WA Eastside
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
Hmm, I could be misunderstanding, but from what Providence and basket said, would that mean that we can't actually sing something in a different octave? I'd like to know the official position of kcl822 on this since, while I'm going to be singing something without changing the octave, two friends of mine are planning on singing songs in lower octaves than the original.
I'm not entirely sure what Providence meant, but what I think I meant was that it has to be in the same key. And as far as I know, that's allowed... Just that some keys are harder than others.

I agree that it's best to wait for kcl822 to say something formally, though.
__________________
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 10:35   Link #211
Kurami
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Good ol Texas
Age: 30
Hello all!! im new to the fourm but a oldie to the site I <3 Anime!! anyways anyone have any sugestions if havent already been said about adjusting a headset mic? im using a logitech head/mic combo but when i get to those lovely Belt you heart out notes its sound disorted.. should i get a seperate mic to stop this?

Ive already tried reducing mic volume but then you cant hear me when singing regular note...ie Harumonia
__________________
Kurami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 10:45   Link #212
Kurami
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Good ol Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorTallguy View Post
Ohayou,

I want to know what has won in past years?
I figure it's probably some mix of these things, but I want to know which are more important:

1. Singing ability
2. Difficulty of singing the song in Japanese
3. Popularity of the series it's from
4. Being a girl
5. Similarity to the original


Does anyone know if any m-Flo songs have ever been in an Anime?

If not, could someone give me some advice? Did someone sing these in past years? And where should I go to get the karaoke?
GTO season 2: Hitori no Yoru
or
Bleach season 1 opening: - Asterisk

Oh, is it ok if I record it at an actual Karaoke box?


To answer the m-Flo <~~ my fav!! yes they do they sung the opening of Astro Boy(when they re-released it or brought it back can remember )
But goodluck with that one been listening to them for two years and i STILL cant do all the Rap parts.....my fave is Starstruck!
__________________
Kurami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 11:13   Link #213
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hell
Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
Hmm, I could be misunderstanding, but from what Providence and basket said, would that mean that we can't actually sing something in a different octave? I'd like to know the official position of kcl822 on this since, while I'm going to be singing something without changing the octave, two friends of mine are planning on singing songs in lower octaves than the original.
I should really clarify this...
If you want to sing in a whole different octave, go ahead. As long as the original song is in the original key, whether you sing it 3 octaves higher (falsetto all the way!) or 1 octave lower is fine.
Which means, you can sing songs that guys sing even though you're a girl and so on. I hope that answers the questions...
(goes back to work before she gets yelled at)
__________________
-New home for #animesuki-
#animesuki@synirc.net
kcl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 00:52   Link #214
basket
World's first BBSing cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Surrounded by ducks in the WA Eastside
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Finally, I have submitted a instrumental entry, which is probably going to be the only one again.

I'm still recording my singing and fine-tuning it, but I hope to get that uploaded soon too.
__________________
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 17:38   Link #215
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
It was our pleasure.



As I sing, I really get depressed. Of the hundreds of karaoke tracks I have, I realize that very, very few of them are actually really singable by me. Is anyone else feeling this?
I just don't have the sort of range to sing a lot of these songs. It also happens that the majority of songs I like are sung by women. It's hard finding slow-ish songs sung.

I wish we could alter pitch = (
Ha, if you listen to the old karaoke competitions you'll realize that the songs I picked are pretty much impossible for me to sing. It's about the fun of it more than how well you sing, in my opinion. The example being, for me, when I sang Eternal Snow from Full Moon wo Sagashite. My voice is really low
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 20:46   Link #216
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Is there a compository of the old entires somewhere, or should I dig through old threads to find them?

I thought about doing Eternal Snow. I despise the original singer's voice.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 21:20   Link #217
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
awww! don't hate Mitsuki!! ........you could do the guy version.......

....i'd really like to do Eternal Snow or Myself... but i can't get them to come out right... and i can't find a karaoke version of New Future... and i can't bring myself to sing Love Chronicle.... *tear* need... Full Moon...!

anyway! the lovely microphone advice you guys gave me worked! yay! ....but now i'm losing my voice.... what lovely timing for a cold....... *muttermutter*
__________________
"The wheels start to turn and turn with a force that I can in no way resist... "
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 21:48   Link #218
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Meh this isn't a valid instrumental for the contest (since it's not a karaoke version and it appears to be truncated), but just for future enjoyment:
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/35l8

I don't think the guy version of Eternal Snow has an instrumental or karaoke though, unfortunately.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 23:38   Link #219
ProfessorTallguy
Aspiring Sumo Wrestler
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seoul
Age: 33
Instrumental Track

Where is the best place to find the karaoke track of a song?

I'm looking for Pornograffiti's Hitori no Yoru,

Or I might try m-flo's Astorsexy, but I think I'd be better to save that for a Duet, or something that allows for multiple recordings with voice alteration...

(Y'know the rule-master said they wanted to make it as much like real Karaoke as possible, but real karaoke allows pitch alteration...)
ProfessorTallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 23:43   Link #220
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hell
Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorTallguy View Post
Where is the best place to find the karaoke track of a song?

I'm looking for Pornograffiti's Hitori no Yoru,

Or I might try m-flo's Astorsexy, but I think I'd be better to save that for a Duet, or something that allows for multiple recordings with voice alteration...

(Y'know the rule-master said they wanted to make it as much like real Karaoke as possible, but real karaoke allows pitch alteration...)
True. And they also have horrible background "video".
But hey, I make the rules.
__________________
-New home for #animesuki-
#animesuki@synirc.net
kcl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
karaoke competition

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.