AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Old 2006-11-09, 21:50   Link #41
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
That is really interesting, the strongest man cannot be capable of beating someone and still be called as the strongest. I wonder why? Either Whitebeard is not the strongest or Mihawk should be highly capable of getting beaten by Whitebeard in a serious fight.
Of Course, but still the fact that Mihawk use to fight Whitebeard all the time speaks volumes about his strength.

Quote:
Also, as you said, being the strongest swordsman does not make a person invincible. anyway, I have asked what kind of method do you think Mihawk can use against lightning to beat it? I am still waiting for your answer rather than comparison to others, cause we all know that won't work as, at least Enel, is shown to be almost invincible when compared to normal (non-insulating) humans

The question is what can Ener do to Mihawk? We are talking about a guy who is the strongest swordsman in the world, and looks like he is behind Whitebeard in power. Tell me, how do you know that Mihawk CAN'T cut electricity? What can Ener do to a guy who has fought characters more powerful than Ener himself?
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 21:53   Link #42
marvelB

There's some sort of rumor that Mihawk can "cut the elements". Again, it's just a rumor, but it's possible that it's true....

But on another subject, I love the fact that Whitebeard has a wierd laugh ("Gurarara!"). Makes me think of those really wierd types of laughs that the giants have (like Sauro). Think it's possible that Whitebeard is a half-giant? We've seen one in Foxy's crew after all (Big Pan). And on a further subject, I was wondering what eactly Shanks meant when he asked Marco to join him (as in, did he mean join his crew, or join him in drinking that sake)? The translation I read didn't make that very clear....

And finally, we now know that the WG DIDN'T cover up the EL attack, since Blackbeard found out about it through the newspaper. This means that we should see the new bounties for the crew soon enough....

Oh, and did anyone else notice Doc Q and his horse lying face-down on the ground when Ace appears? XD
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 22:05   Link #43
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
Tell me, how do you know that Mihawk CAN'T cut electricity? What can Ener do to a guy who has fought characters more powerful than Ener himself?
By cutting electricity I was referring to cutting his human body together with it (we have already seen in the Skypie arc that he can be cut by swords but with no effect afterwards). I don't know because I have never seen or heard something on that. Well if he can use Chidori that is another matter.

Also, does being the strongest swordsman automatically give a person a body that does not freeze/burn/electrocuted? I don't think so, even a giant is powerless against an elemental power, a mere human like Mihawk shouldn't stand a chance, if he takes the attack. Let me ask you this, do you think Mihawk can continue to move as if nothing happened when he directly takes the attacks that immediately disabled Zoro and Sanji?
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 22:32   Link #44
regasatanum

Quote:
1. White Beard: "It’s only been a moment in time for me… Those that say it’s a legend aren’t few. The days of dueling with you and Hawk’s Eye are still fresh in my ears…"
Hmmm ... I think that's a translation blunder.

it is " your dueling with mihawk in these old days, is still fresh in my ears "

i am quite sure of this.
regasatanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 23:07   Link #45
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
By cutting electricity I was referring to cutting his human body together with it (we have already seen in the Skypie arc that he can be cut by swords but with no effect afterwards). I don't know because I have never seen or heard something on that. Well if he can use Chidori that is another matter.

Also, does being the strongest swordsman automatically give a person a body that does not freeze/burn/electrocuted? I don't think so, even a giant is powerless against an elemental power, a mere human like Mihawk shouldn't stand a chance, if he takes the attack. Let me ask you this, do you think Mihawk can continue to move as if nothing happened when he directly takes the attacks that immediately disabled Zoro and Sanji?
Bwhahahahawaha!

Comparing Zoro and Sanji to Mihawk is ridiculous, and who said Mihawk is just going to stand their and get hit? Ener can do nothing to Mihawk, Hell Shanks was talking about Ace (Elemental user) not being on Blackbeards level. So what are you talking about Mihawk has no chance.
Old 2006-11-09, 23:18   Link #46
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Bwhahahahawaha!

Comparing Zoro and Sanji to Mihawk is ridiculous, and who said Mihawk is just going to stand their and get hit? Ener can do nothing to Mihawk, Hell Shanks was talking about Ace (Elemental user) not being on Blackbeards level. So what are you talking about Mihawk has no chance.
I believe I separated Enel from Ace, cause there is no valid comparison available for Enel, yet. And, again, you go on with x can do nothing to y, based on what? I am asking this for the kth time, still no answer that you can actually call an answer.

And, believe me assuming Mihawk "to have a body stronger than a giant" is more ridiculous than assuming the durability of his body around Sanji or Zoro's level - note I am talking about body-durability (the level he can stand against an attack) not his attack strength.
Old 2006-11-09, 23:18   Link #47
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regasatanum View Post
Hmmm ... I think that's a translation blunder.

it is " your dueling with mihawk in these old days, is still fresh in my ears "

i am quite sure of this.
Really? because all of the translations say "Itís only been a moment in time for meÖ Those that say itís a legend arenít few. The days of dueling with you and Hawkís Eye are still fresh in my earsÖ"

Unless you can translate the whole chapter?
Old 2006-11-09, 23:22   Link #48
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Really? because all of the translations say ...
All, I thought there is only one around.
Old 2006-11-09, 23:22   Link #49
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
I believe I separated Enel from Ace, cause there is no valid comparison available for Enel, yet. And, again, you go on with x can do nothing to y, based on what? I am asking this for the kth time, still no answer that you can actually call an answer.

And, believe me assuming Mihawk "to have a body stronger than a giant" is more ridiculous than assuming the durability of his body around Sanji or Zoro's level - note I am talking about body-durability (the level he can stand against an attack) not his attack strength.
How can you seperate Ener from Ace when Ace is STRONGER than Luffy in every aspect? Ener got his ass kicked by some Rookie and yet you try and compare Ener to Mihawk?

And believe me, Mihawk is going to sit their and wait for the lightning to strike his body. Mihawk is obviously stronger durability wise than a Zoro and Sanji. Ener can do nothing to Mihawk, he couldn't even dodge Luffy's attacks Mihawk can cut him in a split second.
Old 2006-11-09, 23:36   Link #50
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
How can you seperate Ener from Ace when Ace is STRONGER than Luffy in every aspect? Ener got his ass kicked by some Rookie and yet you try and compare Ener to Mihawk?

And believe me, Mihawk is going to sit their and wait for the lightning to strike his body. Mihawk is obviously stronger durability wise than a Zoro and Sanji. Ener can do nothing to Mihawk, he couldn't even dodge Luffy's attacks Mihawk can cut him in a split second.
Do you think Enel was actually weaker than Luffy, when you map it onto a more objective scale (in other words ignoring the unique quality that maybe only Luffy in the world have)? I hope you don't assume Mihawk also has a rubber body, that will immediately nullify any kind of lightning attack that Enel can use on him.

No matter how stronger he is, he is still a normal human, at the most he can last longer (maybe a bit, maybe a bit more longer) than Sanji and Zoro, but at the end he is bound to get affected by electricity, currently, if he is a normal human, there should nothing in his body that should prevent the electricity burning his brain from the inside.
Old 2006-11-09, 23:40   Link #51
Oberon

On the topic of Mihawk vs. Ener, this is One Piece, where anyone can pull out some awesome secret technique that can them let deal with whatever Oda feels like. And even going by just what we have seen so far, what's to stop Mihawk from using a sword that has seastone embedded in it, one way or another? That is if he's not a devil fruitloop himself. The moment he cuts Ener, Ener's powers get neutralized. Bye Ener. Simple enough solution I think. His sword certainly didn't look ordinary, going by that black blade and all.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 23:55   Link #52
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Do you think Enel was actually weaker than Luffy, when you map it onto a more objective scale (in other words ignoring the unique quality that maybe only Luffy in the world have)? I hope you don't assume Mihawk also has a rubber body, that will immediately nullify any kind of lightning attack that Enel can use on him.

No matter how stronger he is, he is still a normal human, at the most he can last longer (maybe a bit, maybe a bit more longer) than Sanji and Zoro, but at the end he is bound to get affected by electricity, currently, if he is a normal human, there should nothing in his body that should prevent the electricity burning his brain from the inside.
Ener was weaker than Luffy, why couldn't Ener dodge Luufy's attacks or even withstand his blows? Luffy countered his mantra and Ener had Luffy's weakness which was a blade and yet Luffy still was kicking his ass. Luffy was PHYSICALLY better than Ener, and Mihawk is way more talented than Luffy Mihawk can cut Ener faster than I can cut a sandwich.

Sinking 50 ships, cutting a huge armada with unseen slashes of his sword, blocking Zoro's legendary swords with a butter knife, fought with Whitebeard and Shanks all the time, speed that allows him to disapear and reappear all the time, all while sitting in a raft. Yeah, that's pretty much what a normal human can do. Ener won't touch Mihawk, hell Ener barely touched Luffy.

Besides Luffy told Ener he is "nothing" and said there are much more powerful characters in the seas!!!
Old 2006-11-10, 00:02   Link #53
regasatanum

Quote:
Really? because all of the translations say "Itís only been a moment in time for meÖ Those that say itís a legend arenít few. The days of dueling with you and Hawkís Eye are still fresh in my earsÖ"

Unless you can translate the whole chapter?
Yep i saw that translation from eastblue and ap, i can only read minimal japanese but thats good enough to tell me otherwise. Because it's very difficult to directly translate japanese to english and make sense at the same time therefore the translator will always rephrase the sentence

And it isnt " Those that say itís a legend arenít few "

it's something like

" from then til now, quite a number of people made legend "
" just like the lengendary duel between you and mihawk "
something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
On the topic of Mihawk vs. Ener, this is One Piece, where anyone can pull out some awesome secret technique that can them let deal with whatever Oda feels like. And even going by just what we have seen so far, what's to stop Mihawk from using a sword that has seastone embedded in it, one way or another? That is if he's not a devil fruitloop himself. The moment he cuts Ener, Ener's powers get neutralized. Bye Ener. Simple enough solution I think. His sword certainly didn't look ordinary, going by that black blade and all.
Yea... Enel couldve been dead if wiper is smart enough to permanently stick that piece of seastone on enel body before he restarted his heartbeat. And Enel allowed a guy (i cant remember the name) to attack him without retaliating for 5 mins, that guy futilely stabbed a spear into enel's head, ahhh if only that was a seastone spear.
Old 2006-11-10, 00:07   Link #54
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Yep i saw that translation from eastblue and ap, i can only read minimal japanese but thats good enough to tell me otherwise. Because it's very difficult to directly translate japanese to english and make sense at the same time therefore the translator will always rephrase the sentence

And it isnt " Those that say itís a legend arenít few "

it's something like

" from then til now, quite a number of people made legend "
" just like the lengendary duel between you and mihawk "
something like that.
So what is the ACCURATE translation for this quote?

"Itís only been a moment in time for meÖ Those that say itís a legend arenít few. The days of dueling with you and Hawkís Eye are still fresh in my earsÖ"
Old 2006-11-10, 00:07   Link #55
chitgoks

what's with ener.. aint it enel? lol

man.. shanks is so powerful, using one hand with his sword to hit wb's weapon..what more if he has the other hand.. but that's what characters are really.. just like professor x, he was created to be in a hoving wheelchair so that he wont be too all powerful, you know add a little weakness in him...

poor blackbeard's crew, he wants to be in the shichibukai, do they realize that bb would have to abandon them if he gets accepted? or were they all expecting to be in the shichibukai :P dumb crew ..
chitgoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 00:14   Link #56
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Ener was weaker than Luffy, why couldn't Ener dodge Luufy's attacks or even withstand his blows? Luffy countered his mantra and Ener had Luffy's weakness which was a blade and yet Luffy still was kicking his ass. Luffy was PHYSICALLY better than Ener, and Mihawk is way more talented than Luffy Mihawk can cut Ener faster than I can cut a sandwich.

Sinking 50 ships, cutting a huge armada with unseen slashes of his sword, blocking Zoro's legendary swords with a butter knife, fought with Whitebeard and Shanks all the time, speed that allows him to disapear and reappear all the time, all while sitting in a raft. Yeah, that's pretty much what a normal human can do. Ener won't touch Mihawk, hell Ener barely touched Luffy.

Besides Luffy told Ener he is "nothing" and said there are much more powerful characters in the seas!!!
So, you are saying if Luffy was not made of rubber, he wouldn't be burnt immediately, and he could have escaped easily. If Luffy is actually physically better than Enel, then that should be the case right? Sorry, but, that is beyond my imagination. (if Luffy was burned in the first attack, just like he froze quickly and could have easily killed when he met Aokiji, I wonder if he would have thought, there are stronger people out there so I need to get stronger or you are nothing compared to me???)

And cutting a material will help Mihawk cutting a non-material? Good luck to him. Oh, since when Mihawk learned Yondaime's jutsu? I guess he likes to read Naruto a lot.
Old 2006-11-10, 00:16   Link #57
regasatanum

Quote:
So what is the ACCURATE translation for this quote?

"Itís only been a moment in time for meÖ Those that say itís a legend arenít few. The days of dueling with you and Hawkís Eye are still fresh in my earsÖ"

Depends whether you want it to be more accurate to the original text or do you want it to be more read-able in english. Translator usually chose the latter, but for manga like conan, every conversation is important hint or clue and translator need to follow the original text as close as possible rather than rephrase it in proper better sentence.

Based on the original text, it may not make much sense in english...

it will be

" Time passed so fast "
" During this time, many people wrote legend "
" Your duel with Mihawk in those days "
" are still fresh in my ears (something like an japanese idiom more like fresh in my mind )"

Old 2006-11-10, 00:27   Link #58
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
So, you are saying if Luffy was not made of rubber, he wouldn't be burnt immediately, and he could have escaped easily. If Luffy is actually physically better than Enel, then that should be the case right? Sorry, but, that is beyond my imagination. (if Luffy was burned in the first attack, just like he froze quickly and could have easily killed when he met Aokiji, I wonder if he would have thought, there are stronger people out there so I need to get stronger or you are nothing compared to me???)

And cutting a material will help Mihawk cutting a non-material? Good luck to him. Oh, since when Mihawk learned Yondaime's jutsu? I guess he likes to read Naruto a lot.
No, for the simple fact that Luffy was just better than Ener. Ener had Luffy's weakness and even stated it. Yet he couldn't touch Luffy with it, Luffy was just pounding on Ener. Luffy was just physically better. Mihawk is physically better than both Luffy and Ener, and he does have the "Strongest sword in the world" for a reason. You think that thing won't cut Ener..
Old 2006-11-10, 00:29   Link #59
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Depends whether you want it to be more accurate to the original text or do you want it to be more read-able in english. Translator usually chose the latter, but for manga like conan, every conversation is important hint or clue and translator need to follow the original text as close as possible rather than rephrase it in proper better sentence.

Based on the original text, it may not make much sense in english...

it will be

" Time passed so fast "
" During this time, many people wrote legend "
" Your duel with Mihawk in those days "
" are still fresh in my ears (something like an japanese idiom more like fresh in my mind )"
So this is the true ACCURATE translation which is the closest to what the canon manga states? What is Whitebeard actually trying to say in this quote? That Mihawk and Shanks duel was legendary?
Old 2006-11-10, 00:31   Link #60
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
No, for the simple fact that Luffy was just better than Ener. Ener had Luffy's weakness and even stated it. Yet he couldn't touch Luffy with it, Luffy was just pounding on Ener. Luffy was just physically better. Mihawk is physically better than both Luffy and Ener, and he does have the "Strongest sword in the world" for a reason. You think that thing won't cut Ener..
The attack he used was as effective as Mihawk putting a knife between his toes and fight Zoro with it. It might sometimes work, sometime not, but not a single bit comparable to his original attack power.

And, for your question, can a sword cut a God? If it can cut anything, why not, according to you...