AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 21:10   Link #241
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Interesting point you made there Seiryuu... I have a much better appreciation for Ikuto as a man now, for his insightful wisdom! A normal guy would of just went, "sure i'll be shared around by all of you!" But he had enough wisdom and possibly restraint to realise that if that happened, he would most likey die from exhaustion (although ecstatic exhaustion heh).

Having realised his predicament he hence fends off all those advances from the women and stood the high moral ground of monogamy.

Having said that I would come to a conclusion that the person who wrote the manga, put great thought into the moral issues of polygamy versus monogamy and hence questioning the meaning of love, as that of conscious choice or just a cocktail of mixed hormones... Or he could of just wrote this predicament in for kicks and laughs... meh
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 21:39   Link #242
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I liked the second ep quite a bit more than the first - I thought it captured the good-natured insanity of the manga more effectively. Basically, Suzu and Ikuto are so durn lovable that it's hard not to root for them, and that makes the story work as something slightly more than outright slapstick. In the manga, anyway - hopefully the anime will continue to capture that.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 23:38   Link #243
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

For those who are concerned, I won't be giving away blatant manga spoilers, so be at ease on that.

Now, I've called Airantou a harem anime, but in reality it's about as harem anime as Mahoraba is, to which Airantou is more similar to than it is to Girls Bravo, which I've seen mentioned often here. In other words, not much at all. Pretty soon, you forget that you called it a harem story in the first place. (EDIT: Mmmmmm Okay, I admit that Airantou's more harem-y than Mahoraba, of all things, but both are not very harem anime)

I've heard the word archetypical thrown around a lot to describe Airantou's characters. In reality, you really can't help but touch some sort of character archetype or another when creating any character, but anyway. In regards to Airantou, the best way to describe them would be archetype fronts with a lot of creative quirks and twists, different sides to their personalities, histories, and connections to other characters. I must emphasize connections, because Airantou is a rare work in which I've felt that characters are actually connected to each other. Friends actually feel like friends rather than some vague, artificial plot device-like bond.

Now someone asked if someone else would just spoil them the rest of the 11 volumes of the manga since the anime won't cover that much. I won't be so quick to make that conclusion. Introductions and endings are almost always the most drawn-out and well-fleshed in anime conversions. Some of the middle part can be merged or done without altogether. We covered almost all of volume 1 with two episodes, and I think we'll finish it off with the next ep. Taking into consideration that there are filler chapters that can be skipped out on in the manga, I think we can make it at least up to the end of volume 10 by the end of the series. It's a nice place to stop off at the end of volume 10, and if we have a second season, volume 11 would be a nice place to pick the story back up.

Ikuto's nosebleeding. Hmmmm, this is a tough one because I too have been irritated at times, but all I'll say is that he gets better.

Now keep in mind we've covered two episodes, which have covered four chapters of the manga so far. That's four out of sixty. We are about 1/15th of the way through the story, so there's more coming. If you actually have physical restrictions, like Vexx's bandwidth problem, then try coming back after this series has at least a dozen or two episodes under its belt.

In regards to the population topic: I find it hard to imagine that Ikuto won't get it on with the other girls even if he does get married to one. He'll have to, for the village to survive with a decent amount of genetic diversity.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 23:43   Link #244
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Ikuto's trying to be a gentleman...I guess. Though maybe he doesn't have that good experience with women
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 23:51   Link #245
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

I like the way you did your sig.

Do people really find it that hard to imagine that there can be guys who don't reflexively bang any naked and inviting girl they see?

Old 2007-04-14, 23:53   Link #246
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
In regards to the population topic: I find it hard to imagine that Ikuto won't get it on with the other girls even if he does get married to one. He'll have to, for the village to survive with a decent amount of genetic diversity.
Plausible social science is not really a part of harem anime, but yes, in true gritty "Dr. Strangelove" style, the grandma should have dictated that regardless of who he likes, any (human) on the island could demand his fertilization service. Already there is a 10+ year generational gap on the island, and nobody wants to grow old without a new crop to take care of them in their dotage. Like in Japan in 20 years...
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 01:42   Link #247
holyman282

Quote:
Do people really find it that hard to imagine that there can be guys who don't reflexively bang any naked and inviting girl they see?
The answer is yes...

Well for normal straight guys that is, the fact that we humans are made like other animals and hence have the instinctual behaviour to mate and procreate. I would say it's only normal for guys to reflexively bang any naked and inviting girl they see!
Old 2007-04-15, 02:25   Link #248
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Well for normal straight guys that is,
You mean extremely lonely and sexually-repressed normal straight guys.

I can think up of several situations where a normal straight male would actually refrain from doing that.

But anyway. Because it's animated now, perhaps, but only now do I notice that Ayane's hairstyle and ribbons resemble bunny ears.

Old 2007-04-15, 02:37   Link #249
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The one thing that's kind of bugged me about the anime so far is that Rin is always portrayed with the rest of the batch of evil-eyed pursuers. While she's definitely after Ikuto in a very obvious pursuit, she's never come across as selfish or sinister (in the manga or the anime), which would describe practically every one but her and Suzu. I don't recall her being grouped with the other pursuers like that in the manga.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 02:53   Link #250
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
The one thing that's kind of bugged me about the anime so far is that Rin is always portrayed with the rest of the batch of evil-eyed pursuers. While she's definitely after Ikuto in a very obvious pursuit, she's never come across as selfish or sinister (in the manga or the anime), which would describe practically every one but her and Suzu. I don't recall her being grouped with the other pursuers like that in the manga.
Rin was grouped with the persuers in the beginning and in the end. Only 3 people I dont see chasing him with other pursuers in the manga.

Suzu - Its quite clear in the anime, why.
Ayane - She didnt know about the contest at first, as shown in the anime.
Machi - She clearly hates running, she never chased him. She wasn't in the beginning of the race nor in the end. She was only shown in the middle.

I think there are more.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 03:35   Link #251
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Having said that I would come to a conclusion that the person who wrote the manga, put great thought into the moral issues of polygamy versus monogamy and hence questioning the meaning of love, as that of conscious choice or just a cocktail of mixed hormones... Or he could of just wrote this predicament in for kicks and laughs... meh
I really, really, really doubt he even thought abut such issues.

This is a comedy, not some serious analysis of polygamy and it's related issues Reason why he doesn't make a choice right now is because we wouldn't have much of a show left otherwise. He might as well be a guy who simply doesn't feel like doing the deed with a girl he doesn't genuinely love/like and/or vice versa. (Which would put him in the same category as me).

...on a side note - was he looking kind of disappointed when Suzu said she doesn't want him ?
Old 2007-04-15, 12:06   Link #252
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Ikuto's trying to be a gentleman...I guess. Though maybe he doesn't have that good experience with women
He is only 14, even with Japan's Low Legal age of consent. I am sure a kid's his age has still a few bits to work out concerning puberty.
Old 2007-04-15, 17:38   Link #253
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
They're all sinister, just to varying degrees. And the anime exaggerated the whole event anyway (not that the result was bad).

Old 2007-04-15, 18:20   Link #254
holyman282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I really, really, really doubt he even thought abut such issues.

This is a comedy, not some serious analysis of polygamy and it's related issues Reason why he doesn't make a choice right now is because we wouldn't have much of a show left otherwise. He might as well be a guy who simply doesn't feel like doing the deed with a girl he doesn't genuinely love/like and/or vice versa. (Which would put him in the same category as me).

...on a side note - was he looking kind of disappointed when Suzu said she doesn't want him ?
lol I'm surprised you took me seriously skyfall, that post of mine is just to satirise the post made previously about genetic diversity! You could see that when i added that the writer could just be doing it for kicks

I was trying to point out that though writers always have a point in doing something one way, there is no point in over analysing what could possibly be a simple solution...
Old 2007-04-15, 19:55   Link #255
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
He is only 14, even with Japan's Low Legal age of consent. I am sure a kid's his age has still a few bits to work out concerning puberty.
Ikuto is a good boy, and rather old-fashioned in a way - which makes him an oddly good fit on this historically frozen island. He's a bull-headed adolescent who hates his father, but rather a chivalrous sort (you'll see more of his back-story that touches on this later) and seems genuinely respectful of women. How many 15 year-olds, given opportunity, privacy and community sanction (even encouragement ) to procreate with a lovely young housemate who, in addition to being beautiful is the most good-natured female in the community and likes him a lot, would even hesitate to press the advantage? Maybe it's shyness or fear, but I think it's a sense of honor that seems to actually matter to him.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 20:14   Link #256
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
You mean extremely lonely and sexually-repressed normal straight guys.

I can think up of several situations where a normal straight male would actually refrain from doing that.
Would being stuck, possibly forever, on an uncharted island with dozens upon dozens of attractive girls -- all of whom want you in the worst way and many of whom make your nose bleed -- be one of those situations?
Old 2007-04-15, 21:09   Link #257
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Given the potential emotional politics involved... I'd be stepping VERY lightly.
Old 2007-04-15, 21:46   Link #258
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Would being stuck, possibly forever, on an uncharted island with dozens upon dozens of attractive girls -- all of whom want you in the worst way and many of whom make your nose bleed -- be one of those situations?
Alas, it would seems that Ikuto is resisting the temptation but Suzu isn't helping
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2007-04-17, 10:15   Link #259
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Goodness, at the beginning of episode 2, I thought I was watching Naruto by mistake. It wasn't until I heard Hocchan's sweet voice that reassured me it was the right show after all.

This is one of those shows where they get the comedy right in the absence of any story, sort of. Poor Ikuto is a vampire's best friend, for spouting so much blood. It's a pity those "zombies" after him aren't after his blood, if you get what I mean.

Poor Suzu can't help but have a larger "size" than Ayane, so Ayane can't really blame her for that. Suzu continues to stand above the rest of the fem-zombies in terms of moe-ness so far.

Let the fun continue (or horror for Ikuto). But I'm not complaining

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 14:46   Link #260
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Goodness, at the beginning of episode 2, I thought I was watching Naruto by mistake.
I thought the same thing too with all those chanting and stuffs. Anyway, the story about how there were no men in the island is rather....surreal. Maybe they will manage to explain it on later episodes no? Oh btw, was that a giant eggplant Ayane's always hugging? Tonkatsu...well..it's been a while since I saw like that. First time was Hiyoko-kun (chick-kun) from TokiMemo ~ Only Love
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen