AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

View Poll Results: Choose the new Seven Wonders of the World (Multiple Choice!)
Acropolis of Athens 17 34.69%
Alhambra 1 2.04%
Angkor 11 22.45%
Pyramid at Chichén Itzá 15 30.61%
Christ Redeemer 3 6.12%
Roman Colosseum 20 40.82%
Statues of Easter Island 15 30.61%
Eiffel Tower 11 22.45%
Great Wall of China 39 79.59%
Hagia Sophia 3 6.12%
Kiyomizu Temple 9 18.37%
Kremlin and Red Square 8 16.33%
Machu Picchu 13 26.53%
Neuschwanstein Castle 8 16.33%
Petra 11 22.45%
Pyramids of Giza 30 61.22%
Statue of Liberty 7 14.29%
Stonehenge 28 57.14%
Sydney Opera House 3 6.12%
Taj Mahal 21 42.86%
Timbuktu 4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-11-17, 12:01   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Public to choose the new seven wonders of the world

Ya gotta read the article first, or you can just skip it to my type written message and read the summary. This is also a poll, just to see what Anime Suki(members) think will be the next one. Cat girlxris/nightwish can help me along if any new one appears ^_^?

Quote:
GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- A global competition to name the new seven wonders of the world is attracting widespread interest, with more than 20 million people voting so far, organizers say.

The Egyptian pyramids are the only surviving structures from the original list of seven architectural marvels. Long gone are the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Pharos lighthouse off Alexandria. Those seven were deemed wonders in ancient times by observers of the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Candidates for the new list have been narrowed down to 21, including the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal and Peru's Machu Picchu. The public can vote until July 6, 2007, by Internet or phone. The seven winners will be announced July 7 in Lisbon, Portugal.

Choosing world wonders has been a continuing fascination over the centuries. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO, keeps updating its list of World Heritage Sites, which now totals 830 places.

The "New 7 Wonders of the World" campaign was begun in 1999 by Swiss adventurer Bernard Weber, with almost 200 nominations coming in from around the world.

Weber "felt it is time for something new to bring the world together" and to "symbolize a common pride in the global cultural heritage," said Tia B. Viering, spokeswoman for the campaign.

Weber's Switzerland-based foundation aims to promote cultural diversity by supporting, preserving and restoring monuments. It relies on private donations and revenue from selling broadcasting rights.

Nominations were whittled down by public votes to 77 last year. Then a panel of architectural experts, chaired by former UNESCO chief Federico Mayor, shortened the list to 21. Interest has grown as Weber and his 10-member team visit the 21 sites. Their final visit will be March 6 to New York's Statue of Liberty.

In addition to the Statue of Liberty, Pyramids, Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and Machu Picchu, the finalists are the Acropolis; Turkey's Haghia Sophia; the Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral; the Colosseum; Germany's Neuschwanstein Castle; Stonehenge; Spain's Alhambra; the Great Wall; Japan's Kiyomizu Temple; the Sydney Opera House; Cambodia's Angkor; Timbuktu; Petra, Jordan; Brazil's Statue of Christ Redeemer; Easter Island; and Chichen Itza, Mexico.
As time goes by, we forget that's the old says and go on with the new and here's a great change that will happen in our century. Currently ya can vote for which you think deserve to be the new seven wonders of the world, including the old ones of course, but your choices are limited. You can't vote for any of the non-existing Ancient Wonders though, only just the Pyramids of Giza.

You can vote here. New7Wonders.com But you gotta register. Hopefully no spams ^_^.

The New 7 Wonders of the World will be announced during the Official Declaration ceremony in Lisbon, Portugal on Saturday, July 7, 2007 - 07.07.07.

Just to make a list for ya to make it easier.

Wonders of the Ancient World

• The Pyramids Of Giza
  • The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
  • The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
  • The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
  • The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
  • The Colossus of Rhodes
  • The Pharos lighthouse off Alexandria

There's direct links to the new ones, just in case ya don't know them.

Wonders of the Modern World/Ancient World (current list, of course) (11/17/16) And i'll try to update this thread if new news occurs)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2006-11-18 at 00:15.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 12:37   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

I can make the poll, I think a multiple choice poll would be best suited for this. People can vote for as many as they like or for those options they think would make a suitable "wonder". Being allowed to select seven options when voting would seem an obvious number but you could vote for as many or few as you wish.

Poll Created.

This poll is a multiple choice poll and while we won’t restrict you from voting for every option, please try to limit your choice if you can (7 votes seems an obvious number).

Please remember that once you make your vote you may not "come back" later to add or change your previous vote(s). So make sure you know all the options you want to include in your vote before you click the "Vote Now" button.

And of course the vote is public, so your votes will be visible to all.

Last edited by xris; 2006-11-17 at 13:12.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 12:49   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I can make the poll, I think a multiple choice poll would be best suited for this. People can vote for as many as they like or for those options they think would make a suitable "wonder". Being allowed to select seven options when voting would seem an obvious number but you could vote for as many or few as you wish.
Ahhh, i forgot we had something like that. That would work better then, since the offical site let you choose 7 of the 21s. Do that if you would.

And Thank You.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-11-17, 13:30   Link #4
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Hmm. I'm surprised the Yangtze Three Gorges Dam in China is not in the poll. It's easily one of the greatest engineering marvels in human history.

The others are not so much wonders as they are architectural beauties.

For this reason, I am only voting for the Great Wall, the Stonehenge, and the Statues of Easter Island.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 13:50   Link #5
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

i did a vote.

i think that one thing that would the greatest wonder in the world would be the great wall of china. i mean come on its one of the longest man made things ever.

Ones honor is found in the sword.
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:02   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I'm pretty sure that the Great Wall of China would make it but we'll see. Anyway, I'm hoping that the Machu Picchu, Kiyomizu Temple, and Petra Ancient City would also make it.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:24   Link #7
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
I voted for the pyramids of Giza, the statues of Easter Island, the Great Wall of China, and the Roman Colosseum. My basis for selecting those 4 is the fact that they're all built either a long time ago or there is a complete mystery as to how they're built (such as the Easter Island statues). It's not so much what they symbolize to me, but rather the engineering and craftsmanship that they did to create something so monumental given their primative technological abilities. These four strike me as impressive.

And why does it HAVE to be seven!? -.-
Old 2006-11-17, 14:29   Link #8
Tasukiseishi
Fangirls!? Where!?

Send a message via MSN to Tasukiseishi
I'm going to vote for Angkor, The Roman Colosseum, the Kiyomizu Temple, Machu Picchu, Petra, Stonehenge, and the Taj Mahal.

I wanted to vote for the Acropolis but due to tourism, it's deteriorating and it's unsure whether or not it can be restored. It may not be around much longer.
Tasukiseishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:39   Link #9
Nidas

I voted for Neuschwanstein Castle, the Great Wall of China and the statues of Easter Island. No particular reason really, each are impressive for their own reasons
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:42   Link #10
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
I voted for the pyramids of Giza, the statues of Easter Island, the Great Wall of China, and the Roman Colosseum. My basis for selecting those 4 is the fact that they're all built either a long time ago or there is a complete mystery as to how they're built (such as the Easter Island statues). It's not so much what they symbolize to me, but rather the engineering and craftsmanship that they did to create something so monumental given their primative technological abilities. These four strike me as impressive.

And why does it HAVE to be seven!? -.-
Well, as with all ancient structures, we've already figured out how they were built.

Slaves.
Old 2006-11-17, 15:20   Link #11
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

How long is this running?
I remember there being a thread about that vote some time ago.

And I still think its stupid btw, voting for modern world wonders and having ancient buildings and statues as candidates...
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 16:37   Link #12
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
How long is this running?

And I still think its stupid btw, voting for modern world wonders and having ancient buildings and statues as candidates...
Well they are modern as in "still in existance". Six of the 7 original wonders of the ancient world have already been destroyed after all.
Old 2006-11-17, 16:42   Link #13
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
Hmm. I'm surprised the Yangtze Three Gorges Dam in China is not in the poll. It's easily one of the greatest engineering marvels in human history.
Yep. It surprised me too as well as the absecence of the Trans-american Railroad or Suez's canal.
Old 2006-11-17, 16:42   Link #14
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
It ends 07/07/07. The original thread is here. I said then that I'd vote for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
My guess is I'm going to go with: Pyramids, Colliseum, Great Wall, Macchu Picchu, Taj Mahal, Easter Island, and Stonehenge - but I want to research a couple of the sites I know less about before voting.
and haven't changed my mind yet.
Old 2006-11-17, 17:26   Link #15
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I think, out of all of them, Neuschwanstein Castle is the most important. I love how it was built just simply for the sake of building it, and not for any social, political, or religious use. I think it's important that society return to the beauty-for-beauty's-sake mentality that led to its construction. All the earth's major cities look more or less the same these days, and that's a shame when we're capable of building so much more interesting structures.
Old 2006-11-17, 17:31   Link #16
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

Kiyomizu Temple
thought this was cool and stylist

Petra (9 B.C. - 40 A.D.), Jordan
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 17:36   Link #17
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Wasn't Neuschwanstein built for King Ludwig II to live in? A king's palace is both a social and political use - though I have no disagreement with Neuschwanstein being chosen, it is a fabulously imaginative building.
Old 2006-11-17, 18:51   Link #18
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Norris View Post
Yep. It surprised me too as well as the absecence of the Trans-american Railroad or Suez's canal.
Hmm, indeed.

Both the Suez and Panama canals were history-making in their scale and functionality. But I guess they weren't pretty enough =P
Old 2006-11-19, 01:15   Link #19
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Many buildings do fit as a wonder of the world, but we do have to have a limit here. I suppose it's actually more accurate if every single submission made to them to be treated as a wonder and should be listed for anyone to choose upon that if they felt it necessary that the building deemed qualifyed to the person. Pretty much personal taste and country of origin.

Ex. If you we're japanese you would probably be more likey to choose the The Kiyomizu Temple, rather than that of the Sydney Opera House. da da da (so on and so on)

Old 2006-11-19, 21:46   Link #20
Cyz
"Show it to me"

You know, I still don't get it how the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower made it in the first place.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote