AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-20, 23:27   Link #1
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
New Mac user here!

Hello everyone! I recently (just today) got the new macbook. I've been using windows since I knew how to click a mouse, so I'm having some troubles with the Mac OSX. One thing that I really need help in is:

Where do you uninstall programs?
I downloaded files on to my desktop, but I CANNOT see the files there (I'm using Camino browser).
Shortcuts.
Editing file names.
Getting WMV files to work.
Which torrent program do you all use?
Other tips you may have.
THANKS in advance for any helps.

Last edited by iKumdo; 2006-11-21 at 00:11.
iKumdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 01:24   Link #2
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

To uninstall a program, you just delete it—drag it to the Trash and empty. Easy, eh?

Not sure what to tell you about not being able to see files. Have you been installing your apps correctly? Most apps come in disk images which you mount and then copy to your Applications folder and run from there. Then you eject the disk image and throw it away, keeping the local copy. I've never had a problem downloading files with Camino, but Safari's my browser of choice.

To make a shortcut to something, right click a file and select Make Alias. Keep in mind, the Dock is a good place to store frequently used applications instead of making shortcuts—just drag an application to the Dock and there it will live. (In case you don't have it turned on, you can set an option in the Keyboard and Mouse preferences to right click when you have two fingers on the trackpad instead of one—I love this feature).

To edit a file's name, just click on it to select it and hit Return.

To play WMV files, download the Flip4Mac plugin for QuickTime. It's free.

I use Azureus.

There's LOTS of tips—it all boils down to what you want to know. I'd say try to break yourself of Windows-specific habits and approach OS X as a whole new beast. There's a lot that's similar, but there's a lot of stuff that's different which you'll miss out on if you keep doing things the old way. Don't be afraid to throw away old habits and learn new ones. Biggest thing to get used to: Exposé. Easily one of the best features in OS X and the one I miss most when I use Windows now. I have hot-corners set up for it (All Windows in the upper left, Desktop in the upper right)—try it out and see what you think! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, or post them here.

Always fun to help out a new Mac user.
Old 2006-11-21, 01:27   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
Hello everyone! I recently (just today) got the new macbook. I've been using windows since I knew how to click a mouse, so I'm having some troubles with the Mac OSX. One thing that I really need help in is:

Where do you uninstall programs?
In most cases you can uninstall applications by simply dragging their icon from the "Applications" folder to the trash. Such applications are actually self-contained units and dragging them to the trash will automatically trigger a uninstall script of sorts.

In some cases, such as with applications that install device drivers or which don't play along (like Microsoft Office afaik), you do need to use an uninstaller.
Quote:
I downloaded files on to my desktop, but I CANNOT see the files there (I'm using Camino browser).
Er... not sure about this one. Are you sure you actually downloaded them then? In any case you can find your Desktop folder in the Finder by opening a Finder window, clicking on your username in the sidebar (with the house icon) and then clicking on the Destkop folder. Maybe that will show anything...
Quote:
Shortcuts.
These are called Aliases in Mac OS X afaik. I have not really used them though. Right click or CTRL-click on the object you want to make a shortcut (Alias) for, then select "Make Alias".
Quote:
Editing file names.
Slowly double click on the file you want to rename. Don't double click fast enough to actually open the file, wait 1-2 seconds between clicks. This might take a little practice
Quote:
Getting WMV files to work.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...d=windowsmedia

Don't install Media Player for Mac though, it's quite buggy afaik. Get Flip4Mac instead and use QuickTime to play WMV content. Don't expect the WMV support on Mac to ever be as good as on Windows though.
Quote:
Which torrent program do you all use?
I use Azureus. There are alternatives, but I haven't tried them.
Quote:
Other tips you may have.
THANKS in advance for any helps.
...not sure I suppose you might also want to visit this thread for Mac Playback help:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31445
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 01:29   Link #4
iKumdo
Chodan

I guess I meant hotkeys instead of shortcuts.
Old 2006-11-21, 01:32   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
I guess I meant hotkeys instead of shortcuts.
Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Is that what you want?
Old 2006-11-21, 02:47   Link #6
iKumdo
Chodan

Thanks again!
Another question:
When ever I open an Office application, I keep getting this error message:
"An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Office Framework Library."
Then it goes on to work just fine, but the message gets annoying.

One last question: Is it possible to use the apple remote with powerpoint?

Yet another question!
When I save my files, it goes into a folder named after the "short name." But I want everything accessed from that "home" icon with your name. But everytime I save it goes into another folder, and everytime i access the "browse" option, it always goes to that folder as default. How do I change this?

Last edited by iKumdo; 2006-11-21 at 05:46.
iKumdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 09:22   Link #7
Loniat
Paranoid Android

*Flame suit on*

And they say macs are user friendly. Good to see an honest user experience...
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 09:36   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
*Flame suit on*

Ahem, if I you had worked with Macs all your life, you'd probably would find Windows confusing too.
I don't consider it user unfriendly if someone who just got a new system asks a few questions about how thinks work.
Old 2006-11-21, 09:54   Link #9
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Thanks again!
Another question:
When ever I open an Office application, I keep getting this error message:
"An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Office Framework Library."
Then it goes on to work just fine, but the message gets annoying.

One last question: Is it possible to use the apple remote with powerpoint?

Yet another question!
When I save my files, it goes into a folder named after the "short name." But I want everything accessed from that "home" icon with your name. But everytime I save it goes into another folder, and everytime i access the "browse" option, it always goes to that folder as default. How do I change this?
About Office, not sure on that one—keep in mind that Office is still not a Universal Binary, so there might be issues until the next version comes out sometime next year. It's unfortunate, but obviously Microsoft can't get their shit together when it comes to converting their apps.

Not sure about the Apple remote and PowerPoint. I know there's a couple third-party IR receivers that make it possible to use the remote with other apps, and they might work for the built in one too (through software), but having not owned an Intel Mac w/ a remote, I can't tell you for sure. I feel like I just saw something about this yesterday. Lemme see if I can dig up a link.

Finally, the home folder. I think you might just be confused. Your account name is always turned into a short name for your home folder when you create the account. For instance, my account name is "Matt Killmon," but my shortname (and "real" user name for all intents and purposes) is "mattkillmon." That's the name of my home folder, and the default location for all my files. So I think you might just be thinking the same thing is two different things.

Oh yeah, a P.S. about keyboard shortcuts—they're listed in menus next to items w/ shortcuts. So that's an easy way to learn them quickly.
Old 2006-11-21, 10:02   Link #10
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
If continue to have issues with Mac's Office, Open Office does have a Mac edition on their website www.openoffice.org

Ummm sorry? Had Caps lock on?
It shouldnt matter since we were talking about an Office software.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-11-21 at 11:25.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 10:53   Link #11
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
If continue to have issues with MAC's Office, Open Office does have a MAC edition on their website www.openoffice.org
MAC = Media Access Control
Mac = short for Macintosh, Apple's line of computers.

Get it right.

EDIT: For the OP, it seems there's three or four different apps that allow you to control other applications with the Apple Remote. Options include RemoteBuddy, mira, and Sofa Control, among others. Take a look and see which one appeals to you most.

Last edited by killmoms; 2006-11-21 at 11:12.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 13:15   Link #12
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Yet another question!
Hmm that's odd, I think that might just be an Office quirk, most of my apps automatically go to the last folder I saved into.

Oh and welcome to the Mac world, expect to catch lots of flak from people like Loniat. Some people just don't like Macs and use every chance they can to try and put us down... They're just jealous.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:32   Link #13
Loniat
Paranoid Android

I will tell you the truth: I also have a mac (besides a windows xp and linux slackware machine). But it seems that sometimes I entered a religion, when I just wanted to use the computer to do something trivial..
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 16:43   Link #14
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
*Flame suit on*

I expected it to be more difficult actually. It is frustrating because it's completely different from Windows. I've NEVER used a mac osx before this. Not even for a minute at the local library or something. I've used the older macs, but only to browse internet at school. It's taking a lot less time to learn than when I first used Windows 95.

The mac graphics is really cool. I'm having fun just pressing the "menu" button on the remote, and the Dashboard on dock. To quote Prince Habibo, "This is just simply awesome."

For help again. How do you customize your folder to have a different icon? Of course this isn't important, I just like to make my computer look nice.
Old 2006-11-21, 19:42   Link #15
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
For help again. How do you customize your folder to have a different icon? Of course this isn't important, I just like to make my computer look nice.
Get an icon you want and copy it in the finder (command(apple key)-C). Select the folder and hit command-I to show the information. click on the folder's icon in the info window (the smaller one in the top left). Then hit command-V.

It should theoretically paste the icon there, changing the icon of the folder.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 00:48   Link #16
iKumdo
Chodan

My mac put itself on mute, how do i change that?
I went to the system prefrences, and it wont let me adjust the volume at all, and it is not on mute. I think ill just try restarting.
Old 2006-11-22, 08:39   Link #17
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Did you try hitting the mute button on the keyboard? Alternatively, did you plug something into the headphones port?
Old 2006-11-23, 03:51   Link #18
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Did you try hitting the mute button on the keyboard? Alternatively, did you plug something into the headphones port?
Found the problem. My earphone wasn't plugged in all the way, so no sound came out. The thing I don't get was why the mac wouldnt let me adjust the volume anyways.

Next question: WHen I shut off the mac, my previous preferences go away. Things like Mouse speed and sounds are reset.
Old 2006-11-23, 08:04   Link #19
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Next question: WHen I shut off the mac, my previous preferences go away. Things like Mouse speed and sounds are reset.

Same thing happens to me with sound on my iMac. It only happens if I have something plugged into the headphones jack. Annoying as hell. My solution is putting the computer to sleep instead of turning it off.

WRT the mouse settings, that hasn't happened to me.

You may want to use this app to check for corrupt preferences files:
http://www.jonn8.com/html/pt.html

You'll also want to run the disk utility and repair permissions just in case.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 11:36   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
That sounds odd and shoudn't happen. I'm not sure how to fix this. Perhaps it's a corrupt preference file (settings like these are stored in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder in your home folder).

To test if it's a preference file, you could try creating a new (test) user, then if the settings are properly restored when you login with that user, you know it's something related to your normal user account. If that's the case, report back here. If it also doesn't work with the new user, I don't know. But you always get 90 days free tech support with a new Mac, so you could try calling Apple about this issue if it really bothers you.