AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-23, 13:57   Link #21
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
That sounds odd and shoudn't happen. I'm not sure how to fix this. Perhaps it's a corrupt preference file (settings like these are stored in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder in your home folder).

To test if it's a preference file, you could try creating a new (test) user, then if the settings are properly restored when you login with that user, you know it's something related to your normal user account. If that's the case, report back here. If it also doesn't work with the new user, I don't know. But you always get 90 days free tech support with a new Mac, so you could try calling Apple about this issue if it really bothers you.
I will try that and call Apple also. Currently, all i do is put the computer to sleep instead of shutting it off.

EDIT: The problem no longer exists. It just started working on its own.
EDIT2:
Quote:
EDIT: For the OP, it seems there's three or four different apps that allow you to control other applications with the Apple Remote. Options include RemoteBuddy, mira, and Sofa Control, among others. Take a look and see which one appeals to you most.
Thank you, I will check them out.
Old 2006-11-23, 19:41   Link #22
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Putting the machine to sleep is the better thing to do anyway. There's really never any reason to shut it completely off unless you're not going to use it for several days (or if you're shipping it somewhere or something like that). Sleep shuts off all the moving parts, uses a trickle of battery life, and your computer comes up so much faster when you need it.

Using Exposé yet?
Old 2006-11-23, 21:22   Link #23
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Putting the machine to sleep is the better thing to do anyway. There's really never any reason to shut it completely off unless you're not going to use it for several days (or if you're shipping it somewhere or something like that). Sleep shuts off all the moving parts, uses a trickle of battery life, and your computer comes up so much faster when you need it.

Using Exposé yet?
Yea, it's nice.
BTW guys, what CODEC do you use to watch anime? I downloaded Gintama, and quicktime and real wont play it.

I downloaded divx and ran it on real player, now it works. Is it because quicktime doesnt play .avis? Besides that point, what do you all use for codec?
Old 2006-11-23, 21:45   Link #24
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
http://perian.org/ is a nice codec pack for quicktime.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 22:47   Link #25
iKumdo
Chodan

If you have a picture in the iphoto library, does it take up space? Or is it just accsessing it from a folder? What if you take the iphoto pictures then copy them to a folder?
Old 2006-11-24, 01:37   Link #26
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quicktime plays AVIs, you just need the appropriate codecs (DivX 6.6 for Mac, available at http://labs.divx.com/). There's also an AC3 codec that works for Intel Macs too, the A52 Codec. I believe it's available at VersionTracker.

And yes, iPhoto stores pictures on your hard drive. Not sure what you're asking here.
Old 2006-11-24, 17:24   Link #27
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Quicktime plays AVIs, you just need the appropriate codecs (DivX 6.6 for Mac, available at http://labs.divx.com/). There's also an AC3 codec that works for Intel Macs too, the A52 Codec. I believe it's available at VersionTracker.

And yes, iPhoto stores pictures on your hard drive. Not sure what you're asking here.
I have the same pictures on iphoto as I do on my "Pictures" folder. Is it taking twice the space?
Old 2006-11-24, 17:35   Link #28
Epyon9283
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
I have the same pictures on iphoto as I do on my "Pictures" folder. Is it taking twice the space?
iPhoto copies all imported pictures into its library, so yeah probably.
Look in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/
Old 2006-11-24, 22:42   Link #29
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Yes, when you import photos into iPhoto it copies them into its iPhoto Library structure. It's intended for digital photographs from a camera (aka pictures that have EXIF metadata from a digicam), not just anything (hence iPhoto). If that's what you've put in there, just delete the original folders to stop taking up twice the room.

This is much like iTunes—in its default settings it copies your music to its own library folder which it manages. iTunes and iPhoto are sort of application-level previews of the future of (I believe) OS X, and probably all computer OSes, which is to say a move away from static, file/folder organized hierarchies to metadata-focused filesystems. Microsoft wanted to do this for Vista with WinFS, but couldn't accomplish it in time. Apple is moving towards this with their use of Spotlight (and the hooks they've built into the system which haven't yet been exploited). This excites me, since I was doing this sort of stuff six years ago in BeOS, long before mainstream OSes were even thinking about it. So much flexibility.
Old 2006-11-25, 00:30   Link #30
iKumdo
Chodan

Ok, my macbook is connected to the adapter. It won't charge to 100%. It's still stuck at 99%, constantly. So what's the problem?
When I pull it out, it says it's at 100%. I plug it on and it goes back to 99%. I wouldn't mind, but I'm wondering if it'll constantly charge and create more heat and reduce battery life.
Old 2006-11-25, 01:21   Link #31
Epyon9283
Geek

You may have to calibrate the battery.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
Old 2006-11-25, 02:35   Link #32
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

If you haven't calibrated your battery yet (as shown in the link Epyon posted), you should. This may correct the problem.
Old 2006-11-25, 03:23   Link #33
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Yea, it's nice.
BTW guys, what CODEC do you use to watch anime? I downloaded Gintama, and quicktime and real wont play it.

I downloaded divx and ran it on real player, now it works. Is it because quicktime doesnt play .avis? Besides that point, what do you all use for codec?
Quicktime SHOULD play .avi files (pretty much the only thing it does ok IMO...), and you're using real player? They still make that? Anyways in my opinion you should be using VLC and MPlayer to watch video files.

Here's most of what you need to know about playing video files on mac:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31445
Old 2006-11-25, 12:54   Link #34
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Maybe in "fucked up anime fansubbing land" that's the only thing it does well on the Mac... but in "the real world of media production" where I live, it's indispensible. Heck, it's the foundational media framework for OS X. And judging from the apps I use, it does a pretty damn good job.

As a note to iKumdo, there are some notable problems with the Intel build of VLC 0.8.5. I'd suggest getting one of the latest branch builds (0.8.6) from the Subversion nightly build repositories, available here. The trunk builds (0.9.0) are very unstable, often unusable.
Old 2006-11-25, 13:21   Link #35
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Maybe in "fucked up anime fansubbing land" that's the only thing it does well on the Mac... but in "the real world of media production" where I live, it's indispensible. Heck, it's the foundational media framework for OS X. And judging from the apps I use, it does a pretty damn good job.

As a note to iKumdo, there are some notable problems with the Intel build of VLC 0.8.5. I'd suggest getting one of the latest branch builds (0.8.6) from the Subversion nightly build repositories, available here. The trunk builds (0.9.0) are very unstable, often unusable.
They were organized by dates, not by number. I don't know which is 8.6, but I got the latest one.
So which is better though? Mplayer or VLC player?
Old 2006-11-25, 13:30   Link #36
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Depends. Everything I'm hearing indicates that you need X11 installed for any ASS/SSA styled softsubs to work, and the build I tried didn't work at all. I've never been a big softsub person though, personally, so I have very few MKVs or OGMs. I just use VLC and QuickTime, that tends to cover me in terms of formats.
Old 2006-11-25, 14:04   Link #37
Epyon9283
Geek

I'd go with VLC. mplayer kind of sucks on everything other than linux on x86.
Old 2006-11-25, 20:34   Link #38
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
@iKumdo I'd say try VLC first, then Mplayer. Mplayer's "full screen" mode leaves the file bar at the top, VLC actually goes full screen.

@Killmoms: My major gripes with (non-Pro) Quicktime are as follows: No fullscreen mode without hacking the program and no playlist support. Fullscreen is a standard feature for ANY program and making users have to pay for it or add it themselves is ridiculus. And I like being able to set up a playlist of all the anime I just downloaded, so I can just kick back and watch a couple of episodes.
Also Apples built in h.264 support is terrible. Not that I watch many h.264 files, but still it's a problem.
Old 2006-11-26, 02:16   Link #39
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Depends. Everything I'm hearing indicates that you need X11 installed for any ASS/SSA styled softsubs to work, and the build I tried didn't work at all. I've never been a big softsub person though, personally, so I have very few MKVs or OGMs. I just use VLC and QuickTime, that tends to cover me in terms of formats.
THanks a lot, the VLC you suggested works beautifully. One question though, how do I set it up so all of a certain movie type is opened with VLC by default?
Old 2006-11-26, 03:02   Link #40
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
THanks a lot, the VLC you suggested works beautifully. One question though, how do I set it up so all of a certain movie type is opened with VLC by default?
1) Select a file of the type you want to change

2) Right-click (or CTRL-click) and select "Get Info" or simply Apple Key+I on the keyboard

3) Expand the box that says "Open with" (using the little triangle)

... I think you can work out the rest ...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote