AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-11-26, 03:05   Link #41
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
@Killmoms: My major gripes with (non-Pro) Quicktime are as follows: No fullscreen mode without hacking the program and no playlist support. Fullscreen is a standard feature for ANY program and making users have to pay for it or add it themselves is ridiculus. And I like being able to set up a playlist of all the anime I just downloaded, so I can just kick back and watch a couple of episodes.
Also Apples built in h.264 support is terrible. Not that I watch many h.264 files, but still it's a problem.
Oh, well, I'd agree with you. Non-Pro QuickTime is the biggest rip-off ever, which is why I steal a key for it every major release. It's not hard, and everyone should do it. The fact that Apple still charges for its functionality is a crime. But don't confuse QuickTime Player with QuickTime the framework.

@iKumdo: Just do a right-click > Get Info on the file you want to play in VLC all the time (AVI, OGM, MKV, whatever), and then where it says "Open With," choose VLC. Then below that it says "Use this application to open all documents like this." There's a button that says "Change All..." Just click that and be on your merry way.
Old 2006-11-26, 03:14   Link #42
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
Mplayer's "full screen" mode leaves the file bar at the top, VLC actually goes full screen.
There's something wrong with your setup, then. Try changing your video out module from corevideo to "mplayer osx." Also, the menubar left on top shouldn't obstruct your viewing if you have a 5:4 LCD (for 4:3 content) or 16:10 LCD (for 16:9 content).

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 20:23   Link #43
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Is there a program like CCleaner for mac? Something that can get rid of all those unneccessary files you get from internet browsing.
Old 2006-11-26, 20:43   Link #44
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx.html

That has a lot of cleaning options.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 05:59   Link #45
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Eh, I just empty my caches every once in a while. I never really bothered with that sort of maintainance in Windows, and I don't find it negatively affects performance much on either side of the fence.
Old 2006-11-29, 22:22   Link #46
iKumdo
Chodan

Ok one thing that really bothers me.

iphoto is really great at organizing photos and everything, but when I'm on AIM and I want to send my entire album, I have to go to the iphoto library, then search through each "roll" to find all the pictures before I can send them. Is the only way to fix this going through iphoto and manually copying pictures onto desktop then sending it?

EDIT: Is there a way to view the pictures as thumbnails inside folders?

Last edited by iKumdo; 2006-11-29 at 23:19.
iKumdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 07:52   Link #47
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
EDIT: Is there a way to view the pictures as thumbnails inside folders?

You can right click in the finder somewhere (or on the desktop) and go to view options, and check show icon previews. Then you'll see thumbnails of pics inside the the folders.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 11:06   Link #48
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Make sure you change it to "all windows," otherwise the setting won't stick... sometimes it won't stick anyway. >_> /me hopes Apple will fix the fucking Finder in Leopard
Old 2006-11-30, 14:53   Link #49
HimuraKiyone
Editor Extrordinaire

Send a message via ICQ to HimuraKiyone Send a message via AIM to HimuraKiyone Send a message via MSN to HimuraKiyone Send a message via Yahoo to HimuraKiyone
The important thing to realize when you are searching though the iPhoto Library is how your photos are organized. iPhoto organzes by date. For example, if the date associated with your photo is April 12, 2006, then you would go- Pictures>iPhoto Library>2006>04>12>thenameofyourphoto.jpg. This means that it is important to set the date in iPhoto. Cameras usually import with a generic file name. If you find yourself doing this a lot, make sure you name your photos. Naming and dating is a good idea regardless because it makes things easier for your use in the future too.

P.S. I use VLC. The only thing you really have to download is Divx and after that you're good to go. If you ever start to have problems, go back to the VLC site because they probably have an undated version. I also use Azureus for my torrents. I started with BitTorrent, which was okay and I moved onto a few others then settled for a while with Azureus. It's pretty good. I also use Opera for my web browsing. Safari is great and I would actually use that except it wouldn't let me post in Japanese. Camino does, along with Firefox, but they don't refresh the forum pages correctly, grrr. So I settled on Opera which does both and even has a torrent program built in the works pretty well. But don't use the Opera torrent download because you can't trash those files without closing Opera. Maybe not a problem for some, but I am eternally connected and it is not good for me. So, those are my program recommendations. Oh! And try Adium for all of your IM needs. iChat is good but can't handle everything like Aduim can. And Adium is more customzible

Last edited by HimuraKiyone; 2006-11-30 at 15:05.
HimuraKiyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 18:42   Link #50
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKiyone View Post
P.S. I use VLC. The only thing you really have to download is Divx and after that you're good to go. If you ever start to have problems, go back to the VLC site because they probably have an undated version. I also use Azureus for my torrents. I started with BitTorrent, which was okay and I moved onto a few others then settled for a while with Azureus. It's pretty good. I also use Opera for my web browsing. Safari is great and I would actually use that except it wouldn't let me post in Japanese. Camino does, along with Firefox, but they don't refresh the forum pages correctly, grrr. So I settled on Opera which does both and even has a torrent program built in the works pretty well. But don't use the Opera torrent download because you can't trash those files without closing Opera. Maybe not a problem for some, but I am eternally connected and it is not good for me. So, those are my program recommendations. Oh! And try Adium for all of your IM needs. iChat is good but can't handle everything like Aduim can. And Adium is more customzible
DivX is only required if you want to play DivX encoded material in QuickTime (and A52Codec, if you want AC3 support in QT too). VLC uses ffmpeg for its decoding, which means all that support is built-in.

Azureus is good.

Safari posts fine in Japanese. To wit: こんにちわ (I forget the kanji to choose... just took one semester of Japanese. )

Adium is cool. iChat's pretty cool too (especially for all those times you need to transfer files reliably, or use A/V chat) if you use an add-on like Chax to add functionality like tabs and a conversation log searcher.
Old 2006-11-30, 23:15   Link #51
HimuraKiyone
Editor Extrordinaire

Send a message via ICQ to HimuraKiyone Send a message via AIM to HimuraKiyone Send a message via MSN to HimuraKiyone Send a message via Yahoo to HimuraKiyone
I got Divx mostly for QT. I have QT Pro, which makes it worth using. Most of my watching is in VLC though which just needs to be updated occasionally.
That's funny. I post on another forum and couldn't get any kana to post when using Safari. Every other program I tried worked though. Let's see if it works here: (Opera- こにちわみんなさん) (Safari- わかりますか?). Guess it works here! Yay!
I have to admit that I really like most of the Apple programs.They do pretty much everything you want to do. Just be happy that you are using OS X. The current system is so much nicer than it was twenty years ago:)

Last edited by HimuraKiyone; 2006-11-30 at 23:20. Reason: Put in kana from Safari
HimuraKiyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 23:46   Link #52
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKiyone View Post
That's funny. I post on another forum and couldn't get any kana to post when using Safari. Every other program I tried worked though. Let's see if it works here: (Opera- ?????????) (Safari- ???????). Guess it works here! Yay!
Probably the other forum doesn't support UTF-8 correctly (or doesn't send the correct encoding tag, or...), which is how Safari tends to send Japanese. At least, that's my assumption.

And, agreed. I hated Macs back in the pre-OS X days, but now that they've got a thoroughly modern OS that stomps all over Windows... I'm a dedicated fan.
Old 2006-12-15, 01:46   Link #53
iKumdo
Chodan

Is it normal for my battery capacity to INCREASE? Coconut Battery is telling me that my battery's maximum capacity has increased quite a bit.
Old 2006-12-15, 11:20   Link #54
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
Is it normal for my battery capacity to INCREASE? Coconut Battery is telling me that my battery's maximum capacity has increased quite a bit.
You might want to try calibrating it. It's also possible that your battery actually has a higher capacity than standardóbatteries do vary. But yeah, a calibration might be good. Just run your computer until the battery dies (it goes to sleep), and then plug it in to charge. That'll give the PMU a reference point and helps it figure out where 100% and 0% are in terms of the battery's capacity.