AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 01:42   Link #61
Drytchnath
Sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

Hard rock/metal I prefer men-suits it better. Jpop- women, industrial rock- male singers(NIN ftw!), Soft rock/easy listening/country- either b/c i cant stand it regardless.

There are exceptions for all genres though. For example I like some of Yui's songs(Jrock) and I don't mind alot of High and Mighty Color's stuff mainly b/c the female vocals are so strong and clear, the male backup vocals evens things out.
For bands like Maximum the Hormone the drummer only adds her voice when it would enhance the song, not that its bad but it generally wouldnt suit her to sing full-time w/ their style of music. The only soft rock I can stand is Rie Fu, mostly b/c shes not so high pitched and can actually sing coherently in English AND Japanese.
Drytchnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:33   Link #62
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax Send a message via Skype™ to Crovax
The majority of my English and Dutch music is sung by men.

Most of my anime music and favourite JPop artists are women though.

My JRock is a bit more male-determined though (Gackt, laruku etc...) but I don't love JRock all that much anyway.
Old 2007-04-13, 20:11   Link #63
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
most of the music i listen to tend to be male dominated... don't know why, i listen to music i like... never really consider the gender...

but now that i think about it, my reasons for listening to a female artists are usually because i think they're hot....

i dunno, i guess there are not too many female singers that dabble in the types of music i like...
Old 2007-04-13, 21:09   Link #64
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
For example I like some of Yui's songs(Jrock)
YO! Yui is definitely not J-Rock. It's kind of a J-Pop with a rockish beat to it, but it's J-Pop.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 21:16   Link #65
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
^ Agree.

It doesn't really matter the gender of different kinds of music. It depends on the quality, comments of what fans think, and if the song fits in to what do they're talking about. Like the song Kanashimi Twilight by Morning Musume fits them very well no matter if they're jpop idols XD.
Old 2007-04-15, 02:42   Link #66
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
When it comes to anime I find in modern shows I prefer the men almost exclusively. I don't know if they have a different style or if its the fact that most female singers are now Sugar Pop Idols and the men have remained predominantely rock based, but I know it was more of a mixed bag in the 80's or 90's. I wouldn't be able to tell you about a distinction in gender regarding that period as there wasn't one.

This is not always the case though as I like the music of ALI Project, Maaya Sakamoto and a group called Nirgilis that did the fourth opening to Eureka 7, but I will say nine times out of ten if you put a popular current anime song by a man next to one out of a women in a head to head competetion like the Red x White one, I would choose the men as my preferred winner.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 22:37   Link #67
Thomas Jefferson

Most of the music I listen to has male vocalists. It's not a strong preference; it just so happens that males are more prevalent in rock music. I do like females as vocalists though. I am just not really into high notes. Girls with sweet, warm voices win over wailing shrews any day.
Thomas Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 15:26   Link #68
ibreatheanime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Most of the music I listen to has male vocalists. It's not a strong preference; it just so happens that males are more prevalent in rock music. I do like females as vocalists though. I am just not really into high notes. Girls with sweet, warm voices win over wailing shrews any day.
I manly listen to male sung music, but not because I like male voices better.
Like Thomas Jefferson said, males are more prevalent in rock music. I enjoy listening to people who can actually sing rather than just shout, however I do like a girl who can scream on occasion.
Old 2007-04-26, 15:47   Link #69
Simplex
And I'm feeling good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Word, I'm the same way. But some female vocalists that hit high notes like Beth Gibbons from Portishead, I do enjoy.
Old 2007-04-26, 21:15   Link #70
wontaek

It is hard to beat a good, competent, boy soprano.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Reg...Domspatzen.htm
Old 2007-04-28, 02:49   Link #71
leora
KaWAiii

Send a message via ICQ to leora Send a message via MSN to leora Send a message via Yahoo to leora
mmm, i think not....But i like female singer.....haha
leora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 08:54   Link #72
Sepheric
Sleep is my best friend.

Send a message via AIM to Sepheric Send a message via MSN to Sepheric
It's a mix between me, I guess it depends on the artist and your taste in music to decide.

Last edited by Sepheric; 2007-04-28 at 09:48.
Sepheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 18:14   Link #73
LynRee
-

I prefer J-rock and metal with a male singer. I'm guessing some of you've heard the full version of Maximum the Hormone's song Zetsubou Billy, and there are some parts in it when a woman is singing. I find it... very strange, compared to the male singer.

J-pop, on the other hand wouldn't be the same without a sexy female voice.
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 19:41   Link #74
Sora_Love

Send a message via AIM to Sora_Love
well i prefer male vocalists but chick singers are coolieo too...ps. i am a chick
Sora_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 23:51   Link #75
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well the kind of music I like involves no singing, so =P.
Old 2007-05-11, 00:29   Link #76
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

On a song's first impressions, I never cared who the singer is, no matter what song I'm listening to. If he/she does it well, then it enters my like list, no questions asked.

Hence why I never felt the motivation to attend a concert.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 14:56   Link #77
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I Listen To Mostly Women, The Only Men I Listen Too
Is MCR And Greenday.
Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 17:07   Link #78
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
On a song's first impressions, I never cared who the singer is, no matter what song I'm listening to. If he/she does it well, then it enters my like list, no questions asked.

Hence why I never felt the motivation to attend a concert.
There are things you can only feel in a real concert. Surprisingly, this is more true for classical music concert compared to popular music concert, provided you have spent some time studying the music, for it is incredible how much variety of expressions, both sound and visual, there are for same work. I have once totally blasted a string quartet for very unpassionate performance for you can see in their scowl and their ignorance of most basic, beginner-level musical expression technique, that they viewed the audience with contempt and thought they could get away with mere hacking away of the various pieces, and these can't be felt that well if you hear it through recording as you lose some of sound edges and visual elements. They were performing for childrens and I thought their performance was seriously detrimental to children's education as they portrayed classical music as boring and unfriendly; they were choking off what little venue for earning they had. I have also praised a group of amateurs for their spirited, passionate rendition of Bach's Magnificat for although they got some notes and timing wrong, you can feel the performance they were aiming for, even though they failed to reach it, and again, only way you could tell was if you saw what the conductor was doing and how the choir was responding to it, as well as minute sound details that is difficult to catch by recording. Attending a concert, any concert, takes lots of time and MONEY, but if you have the luxury to do so, I wholeheartedly recommend that you do attend the concert to fully experience the true making of music, even if it may be a group of decent rock band in your town.
Old 2007-05-14, 08:31   Link #79
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Hmm.... to me women seem a lot more like natural singers... but all the music I like seem to be done by men. It might be just me, but in music history I don't see any women revolutionising music.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 14:12   Link #80
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Hmm.... to me women seem a lot more like natural singers... but all the music I like seem to be done by men. It might be just me, but in music history I don't see any women revolutionising music.
I can't put anybody as an example from the top of my head but I'm quite sure that's just you.

EDIT: Okay, I'll put two on.

Aretha Franklin - The Queen of Soul
Britney Spears - brought us lots of unholy crap and cemented the pain that is American pop into history.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote