AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-05-14, 14:22   Link #81
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

I just think the gender would only matter, if they had to sing someone else's song...you don't see no women singing "Hero's Come Back" now do you
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 08:54   Link #82
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Aretha Franklin - The Queen of Soul
Britney Spears - brought us lots of unholy crap and cemented the pain that is American pop into history.
Haha. Ok good points.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 22:12   Link #83
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Hmm.... to me women seem a lot more like natural singers... but all the music I like seem to be done by men. It might be just me, but in music history I don't see any women revolutionising music.
Throughout the world, women weren't allow to participate much in music compositions, and in Western Europe, they often had to let their brother of husband publish the music for them. The most influential woman in Western Europe Music is Hildegard von Bingen, as her hymns had opened up new ideas as to how to compose the melody and set the text. Clara Schumann probably was next as not only did she compose some works herself, she was the source of inspiration for two of the three most influential musical figure in 19th century Europe, Robert Schumann and Johannes Brahms, and the third, Richard Wagner, was heavily influenced by Robert Schumann, who was like philosophical leader of musicians. Coming to 20th century, many woman performers have made their marks, but if you consider INTERNATIONAL influence, I have to go with Maria Callas. Still, overall impact of women on world of music before 20th century was probably less than that of boy sopranos like Orlando Lassus, who was kidnapped three times for possessing such a fine voice as boy soprano, and Schubert, who was such a good boy soprano, Antonio Salieri gave him full scholarship to esteemed Vienna School of Music despite oppositions of many nobles and influential people.
Old 2007-05-16, 09:04   Link #84
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Wow. You know your stuff don't you?
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 02:41   Link #85
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Wow. You know your stuff don't you?
Well, I took enough undergraduate music classes to earn a minor in Music History if I take a performance/composition exam. Actually, in a sense, I have passed my performance exam in Choral conducting, except the credits for those courses are spread out among three different universities. Who knows? I might finally get my things together in the fourth university with music degree program, but chance of earning my bread is easier in my electrical engineering major compared to music.
Old 2007-05-26, 21:55   Link #86
Honda Boy Techy
I has a Civic

Depends on the song. Some sound better with a female singer and some better with a male singer. However there are unisex songs out there too. The opening theme to Murder Princess is sung by two male singers but my friend (which is a girl) sounds pretty good singing the main parts. She can't handle rapping parts so when we sing the song, I take care of the rapping (cause A. I have an easier time remembering it and B. I have a deep voice that matches it). The rapping part of it though I think would only sound right with a male singer though. The main part, however can go either way.
Old 2007-05-26, 23:37   Link #87
YuriGirl
Obsessed Fan Girl

it doesnt matter to me...as long as the singer has a good voice
YuriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 11:30   Link #88
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Well I don't see a women trying Linkin park songs....and I don't see a guy trying one of Beyonce's....XD

But it doesn't matter as long as the song is not too sleezy or perverted
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 13:19   Link #89
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In terms of success in the Japanese music industry, I've come to feel that female singers have a huge advantage over male singers. They are carefully managed, made to appeal to a specific audience and they have far more exposure than their male counterparts.

In fact I think Japan has finally hit the North American 90's era trend of bubblegum pop like the Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, only their pop idols are much younger. All I can say is I hope they are ready for the beast they are about to unleash. I wonder if they will resent the trend in the future like North America seems to have.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 14:05   Link #90
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

it all depends on what I want to lisen to... a feminin voice or a mascilin voice... its all just mood for me

credit to Neaco
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 13:17   Link #91
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

After taking a look at my playlist:

* Western music: mostly males like Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, Bono, Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth, Fields of the Nephilim's Carl Mc Coy, Fernando Ribeiro from the portuguese gothic band Moonspell, Kristoffer Rygg from Ulver, etc...
Female western singers I can really appreciate: Lisa Gerrard (formerly Dead Can Dance), Imogen (formerly Frou-Frou) or Anneke from the dutch band "The Gathering".

* Anime music: mostly females. Songs sung by males I could listen w/o cringing were mostly from City Hunter, then there are "Howling", DN's 2nd OP or Lain's ED.
Old 2007-06-07, 16:49   Link #92
Spark

Yeah, in terms of the popular music of American culture, I'd have to say like 90+ percent of the bands I really like have male lead singers. But, I think that's just the type of singer that fits into the genre (pop/punk/alt) .. and probably because it's a lot easier for me to relate to and sing along with a male singer.

In terms of anime music, I usually have no clue what the singer is saying and it's not like I usually try to sing along to the stuff, so I think I prefer females for that genre. (Overall I think the female voice is much more suited to singing than that of a male)
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 20:44   Link #93
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
In terms of success in the Japanese music industry, I've come to feel that female singers have a huge advantage over male singers. They are carefully managed, made to appeal to a specific audience and they have far more exposure than their male counterparts.

In fact I think Japan has finally hit the North American 90's era trend of bubblegum pop like the Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, only their pop idols are much younger. All I can say is I hope they are ready for the beast they are about to unleash. I wonder if they will resent the trend in the future like North America seems to have.
TMR disagrees with you.
Old 2007-06-18, 08:19   Link #94
khajiit

Well all of the music I have, all have male lead singers. It's all metal, or a hybrid of such, however I have heard some decent lady singers, particularly from the lead singer of Genitorturers (see Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines) or the lead singer of Firelake (see S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) i guess I call firelake metal, not sure why exactly LOL

Ofcourse this is from a metal perspective, there are plenty of fine lady singers in other genres. I like hearing female voices in anime too, they seem to suit the songs better.

Last edited by khajiit; 2007-06-18 at 08:22. Reason: To better explain my opinion LOL
khajiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 09:51   Link #95
Fragment

I enjoy listening to Taiwanese and Japanese music. They tend to be more on the catchy and soft side. However, in my opinion, when guys sing softer they're more...um...how should i put it, melodious. Girls' voices are a little high pitched, but i do like to listen to some music sung by girls, such as Younha and YUI. On the terms of does it matter or not. Well, to me it does, a great deal. There's a song called, " Fei Ni Muo Shu". It's unisexual, and to be blunt, the guy makes the over all song sound better.
Fragment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 13:23   Link #96
poplarpeople

to me it does't matter if a guy(s) sings the song or a woman(women) sings the song
as long as they're good it doesn't matter
poplarpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 11:39   Link #97
LhikariL
Hikari kaga yaku sakai wo

Location: we have to escape, and I will go anywhere, if you just lead the way!
I prefer male singers...but there are a few acceptions, which include Utada Hikari and Koda Kumi
LhikariL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 15:36   Link #98
GunBladeKid09
~Falling~

Send a message via MSN to GunBladeKid09
I tend not to care as long as the beat keeps me moving and the music keeps on rocking.

"HardCore Till I Die"

~Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.
~ Francisco Goya
GunBladeKid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 17:15   Link #99
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

I AVIOD MOst man singer.... .w.
i don't really like man because i am a man....who's not a man lover or rock types
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 15:50   Link #100
arcadeplayer987

Depends on the song and the genre of the music, for e.g. Hip-hop is for men

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote