AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2007-04-14, 15:23   Link #181
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
GONZO have had some stinkers, but so have many other companies. I feel that Red Garden was one of the best series in the last year or so.
AAARRGHHH! This is what I'm asking everyone. Which anime have been "stinkers"? Well, I guess it hardly matters anyway. Insofar as Bokurano goes, I'm not seeing any animation problems so far at all. Of course, you wouldn't yet--if the animation gets bad, it's usually in the middle episodes.

Also, others are talking about GONZO being involved in "bad endings" as one of the criticisms of them. Although GONZO is a production company as well, they are usually the animation studio. The animation studio animates. They have nothing to do with the story or structure of the show. In the cases where GONZO was the production company, that's a different matter, of course.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 15:47   Link #182
7Th
Mixtape

OH SNAP! Just noticed something about the manga baby chair...

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-04-14 at 16:16.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 16:07   Link #183
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

7Th --- no manga spoilers please. For the sake of the new watchers, could you please edit it out of your post.
Old 2007-04-14, 16:10   Link #184
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
7Th --- no manga spoilers please. For the sake of the new watchers, could you please edit it out of your post.
But it's under a tag and it is actually more about the anime... :/
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 16:12   Link #185
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
But it's under a tag and it is actually more about the anime... :/
For starters its under a tag that isn't even labeled --- and its a spoiler, so its not allowed. We can have the discussion about that part in the manga thread.
Old 2007-04-14, 16:18   Link #186
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
I feel like this is just going to get worse as things go on.

In truth, because of the split between those of us who have been following the manga and those who have only been following the anime, I believe that this thread should be split into two, one with manga spoiler discussions and one without.
It's just going to get more contentious, and as the differences between the anime and manga get more and more (as they most assuredly will), that will definitely want to be discussed by people here in the fansub forum.

Also, I'd just like to point out about the spoilers on page 2, that the first couple of pages of this thread were all created BEFORE the anime aired, and therefore, discussion was exclusively between people who had been reading the manga. At that time there was no need for spoiler tags, and once the thread was moved to the "fansubbed" section these old posts remained. It's not really the original poster's fault that they didn't go back and Re-spoiler tag anything that was talked about before.

I think the split is needed, although I'm not sure if the mods agree.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 16:34   Link #187
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Might be necessary. Hopefully Bokurano'll become popular enough to merit it's own sub-forum, thus allowing for a seperate spoiler-thread. Guess we'll know in a few more episodes.

In any case, the series certainly has my vote. Here's hoping it'll be as good as I think it's going to be.
Old 2007-04-14, 17:49   Link #188
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand the anti-Gonzo thing, either. I was looking at their list of anime they were involved with and many of them are among my favourite anime and the ones that aren't are still really great animation. Can someone explain what I'm missing, because I, for one, am very happy it's Gonzo doing Bokurano.
Theres a few shows they butchered the storylines to the point they have nothing to do with the manga or drastically inconsistent. Chrno Crusade, Black Cat to name two of my favourites.

On the other hand they do come out with some amazing shows.

Basically Gonzo have their ups and downs but when they have a down then it really shows.
Old 2007-04-14, 19:07   Link #189
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Theres a few shows they butchered the storylines to the point they have nothing to do with the manga or drastically inconsistent. Chrno Crusade, Black Cat to name two of my favourites.
Well, what I'm saying is that GONZO is an animation studio. Animation Studios are responsible for the production of the animation, not the story.

Spoiler for for off topic rambling:

I wish there were more info about who was doing what with Bokurano, the Art Director, the Series Director, the Production Companies and so on. ANN is sparse for the time being, unfortunately. That info could tell us far more about what may or may not happen with this GONZO-animated anime.
Old 2007-04-14, 19:47   Link #190
wao
OK.

Well I'm updating it for you now (wow how long has it been since I entered credits? ), but strangely enough I watched the OP like 5 times and I still don't see the Chief Writer/Story Structure/whatever person. How strange...
Old 2007-04-14, 20:32   Link #191
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The first episode was awesome ...

OHHH OHHH OHHH UNINSTALL
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 21:47   Link #192
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Well, what I'm saying is that GONZO is an animation studio. Animation Studios are responsible for the production of the animation, not the story.

Spoiler for for off topic rambling:

I wish there were more info about who was doing what with Bokurano, the Art Director, the Series Director, the Production Companies and so on. ANN is sparse for the time being, unfortunately. That info could tell us far more about what may or may not happen with this GONZO-animated anime.
Yes, of course they are responsible for the animation, but they also are responsible for the story. Manga authors often times have little to no input. And while most other animation studios try to be faithful to the original works, Gonzo has a reputation for completely rewriting shows and adding original storylines. Look at Full Metal Panic. Everyone loved Gonzo's original version of it, but at least 75% of the show was made up by Gonzo and it completely changed the way FMP was. When FMP was done by KyoAni and other studios, it went back to being true to the manga (i.e. 100% comedy) and it was much better.

That's just one example, but looking at all their other manga adapations and you can see where they failed and how they pissed off people. Their original works (like Gankutsuou) are pretty decent though. Too bad Bokurano is based on a manga.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 23:29   Link #193
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Look at Full Metal Panic. Everyone loved Gonzo's original version of it, but at least 75% of the show was made up by Gonzo and it completely changed the way FMP was.
Sigh...let me explain once again. In the case of FMP, GONZO was not just the animation studio, they were also the production company. That means that the story is basically theirs to work with as they please, according to whatever agreements they signed with the mangaka and manga publisher. They are, in the case of FMP, wearing two "hats" so to speak.

But in the case of anime where they are the animation studio, they do NOT have any control over the story. They animate it, and that's about all. They can make suggestions to the director and producers, "this would look cool, can we fit it into the story?" kinds of things. But the story, "rewriting shows" or "changing storylines", this isn't going to happen UNLESS the director comes from within GONZO studio or the studio IS one of the producers of the anime.

I understand that saying one show is a "GONZO" anime or another is a "KyoAni" anime is a kind of shorthand, but it's a misleading shorthand and as people keep pointing out, it's wrong in a lot of cases.

And BTW, Gankutsuou was NOT original, it was based on L'Comte d'Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas pere.

Last edited by Jiji; 2007-04-14 at 23:39.
Old 2007-04-14, 23:46   Link #194
Child_of_Sierra

Unfortunately, not everybody pays too much attention to the individual staff roles in a series. Most casual watchers would only really see the label: GONZO so the success and execution of a series is widely blamed on them.

I do think the GONZO label, while only representing the animation company, has become a "seal of standard" for a series. People had bad experiences in some of the anime they produced so just hearing them involved in another project is enough to alarm the fanbase of the manga, in this case bokurano.

maybe its just the way their series endings are executed that people don't like?
(that's true for me). I'll probably be anxious throughout the season regardless of such a good start (they have a knack for good starts) so how they finish bokurano would make or break the anime for me.
Old 2007-04-15, 01:40   Link #195
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Also, I'd just like to point out about the spoilers on page 2, that the first couple of pages of this thread were all created BEFORE the anime aired, and therefore, discussion was exclusively between people who had been reading the manga.
Not entirely correct.

At that time, the discussion was between people who had been reading the manga, but it was also being READ by people who were curious to find out preliminary information about what it is all about (ie, people like myself).

I found out lots of interesting stuff.. that it was based on a manga by the same guy who did NaruTaru... hey! awesome! I found out there were big robots involved... 15 kids... ok, good so far, it's all just a synopsis. I found out the show is pretty dark... ok, not suprising, given what I saw in NaruTaru....

And then I hit the first, big, totally unwarranted spoiler. Ugh.

Basically, all the manga readers were dicussing it like they were in their own private cubby house, where they could chat privately.
But don't forget there are many more ppl reading a forum who don't post..

And regarding adding spoiler tags later when it is moved to a different section, well that doesn't seem practical.
You never know when it will be moved, and when it is, a whole bunch of new people will start reading the thread, many of them from page 1. It only takes about 10 minutes of reading to hit the spoilers. And it's not like everyone will rush to put in spoiler tags when it happens.

- Novarossi
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 03:39   Link #196
wao
OK.

I'm far from a Gonzo fan myself, but from what little I know about the anime production process I'd say Ueda is right.

Here is what I know:

Spoiler:

So now let's look at Bokurano.

Spoiler:

That is all I have to offer. Maybe I was unclear somewhere in there because I'm multitasking while writing this...
Old 2007-04-15, 10:28   Link #197
Rion
Ramune~

Thank you for this enlightening post, wao! I think it was perfectly clear ^^

Quote:
So what does this mean? I think it's less of a producer-driven thing and more of a "let's get money together and animate this". It seems to be less of something spearheaded or backed by one particular company which has all its fingers in the pie, and it seems to be the case what with many of the key staff not being Gonzo mainstays. It's the opposite of Romeo x Juliet, I think.
That's my impression as well - I think whether the anime will turn out to be a new NHK ni Youkouso or not mostly depends on the popularity of the first episodes. If it turns out to be popular, it might not suffer the same fate.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 11:42   Link #198
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Wow just watched the first epi and Im hooked!! The OP song is amazing and so is the OST. I really have no idea what to expect from this since I dont read the manga but its got me snagged at this point. Plus so many of my fav seiyuu's are in this...Tomokazu Sugita, Kouki Miyata and Akira Ishida
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 17:47   Link #199
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I was pretty sure Sugita was there. OHHH~ UNINSTALL.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 13:57   Link #200
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
The first episode was awesome ...

OHHH OHHH OHHH UNINSTALL
Have to agree with you on that one.
My first thoughts on the episodes. To be honest I really don't know what to think yet. But it started out ok. I enjoyed it. It certainly has a different feel to it than when I was watching 'Narutaru'. More than likely if I can get much out of it I would like to go back an see some of the chapters for the manga. But again I'm not crazy about 'Gonzo's use of CG at times. But I see they need it.

But I'm going to keep watching. After getting familiar with 'Mohiro-sensei's work, I have faith in him for what he does as a artist and writer. So I'll keep my faith in the 'Bokurano' anime for now until I get the chance to read up on what he really intended.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha