AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-13, 18:56   Link #161
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccu View Post
it was 30% serious and 70% lol ^^ At first I was shocked when I read that, but with the wisdom of hindsight it was kinda obvious that no one would do that^^
that's the huge disadvantage in written stuff; it sometimes can get really messy when you use sarcasm^^

The only thing that is a bit bothering me is that they've changed some chairs^^ that you could see in the ED
Spoiler:
That was a silly idea that Kitoh had anyway. It was too surreal for a story rooted in realism. I approve!
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 19:03   Link #162
Dandruff
Flakey
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Really liked the OP, got chills as I watched/listened to it, lawl.
__________________
Dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 20:57   Link #163
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Well, haven't read the manga so came into this cold turkey, but for me it was easily the best first episode of the season so far. I know enough to know this is going to get extremely dark and I may not enjoy what happens much, per se, but I suspect it's going to be a memorable ride. Despite the lack of any overt "darkness" in ep 1 it managed to be extremely creepy and profoundly foreboding.

I might also add that I don't share the virulent anti-Gonzo bias that seems so prevalent around these parts. Like most outfits they have their failures and successes, but they are capable of some outstanding work, IMO. I have high hopes for this series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 22:39   Link #164
Jiji
Senior Member
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Age: 48
I'm afraid I don't understand the anti-Gonzo thing, either. I was looking at their list of anime they were involved with and many of them are among my favourite anime and the ones that aren't are still really great animation. Can someone explain what I'm missing, because I, for one, am very happy it's Gonzo doing Bokurano.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 22:47   Link #165
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I certainly can't, Ueda, and while I don't want to hijack this thread to a Gonzo debate I do think its an interesting topic. You hear the "bad endings" argument an awful lot but for me, that doesn't really wash. Lets be honest - very few animes really end well, and it's Gainax, if anybody, who deserve that criticism the most. And so they have giant robots in some of their work - is that a crime? Not like that genre is totally worthless, and it's not as if Gonzo has either a monopoly or a fixation. I guess we all perceive things our own way.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:20   Link #166
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Guys, seriously - this thread is borderline useless if you haven't read the manga
oh come, give the folk who haven't read the manga a chance to get the same feeling with the anime we all got when we first read the manga.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:37   Link #167
aardvark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post

Oh oh oh, and I have to do a little tap-dance here because Norio Matsumoto was in the OP .

Spoiler for more diatribe:
Matsumoto's part must have been the shot of Kodama running against the sunset. That's the one shot in the OP which stuck out the most to me.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 02:22   Link #168
BatAttack
Gaou!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 97th Non-Administrated World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
oh come, give the folk who haven't read the manga a chance to get the same feeling with the anime we all got when we first read the manga.
No, no, It's not that the anime is useless to ppl who haven't read the manga, it's THIS THREAD.

I just read through the 8 previous pages of this thread, and it is almost entirely made up of people talking about the manga. Some of it is in spoiler tags, so you skip it, and what isn't in spoiler tags is.. well.. spoilerish. Sometimes explicitly spoilerish, and sometimes vaguely spoilerish.

Basically, having read this thread, I am now unable to have a proper 'first time viewing' experience.

The worst offender is some punk near page 3 or so, who spoiled the fact that:
Spoiler for Bokurano:
__________________
Kampfer is the saddest MS in the Gundam storyline IMO, it should have destroyed NT-1, but the mission was fail because the pilot was drunk.

- Novarossi
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 03:31   Link #169
Lilith
Your average fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.A.E. - Dubai
Age: 28
Sorry, I wasn't all serious. But thanks, now I'm even more interested in the show. Especially since I have this flaw: I overlook stories about kids younger than 15... >_<;;
__________________
I realized I have too many interests/ideas/emotions to convey in one sig.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 03:53   Link #170
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatAttack View Post
No, no, It's not that the anime is useless to ppl who haven't read the manga, it's THIS THREAD.

I just read through the 8 previous pages of this thread, and it is almost entirely made up of people talking about the manga. Some of it is in spoiler tags, so you skip it, and what isn't in spoiler tags is.. well.. spoilerish. Sometimes explicitly spoilerish, and sometimes vaguely spoilerish.

Basically, having read this thread, I am now unable to have a proper 'first time viewing' experience.

The worst offender is some punk near page 3 or so, who spoiled the fact that:
Spoiler for Bokurano:
Yeah, maybe a mod could step in and hide the unhidden spoilers littered throughout the thread...
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 06:45   Link #171
Rion
Ramune~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Especially since I have this flaw: I overlook stories about kids younger than 15... >_<;;
This flaw is unforgivable, especially when it comes to Mohiro Kitoh *g* I also know lots of people who didn't read Kodomo no Omocha because they thought it's for little kids.

It's really difficult not to talk about the manga, really - I believe most people who watch the anime are fans of the manga already (and I think that is a sign of quality).

As for me - I am looping the OP and can't stop listening to it. In my opinion, this is easily the best OP since 3 seasons.

Spoiler for just to make sure:

Last edited by Rion; 2007-04-14 at 07:13.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:44   Link #172
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
It's really difficult not to talk about the manga, really - I believe most people who watch the anime are fans of the manga already (and I think that is a sign of quality).
What exactly is your basis for making such a sweeping (and probably wrong) statement? Let's take a look at some real data. The Triad torrent page reports that total traffic for the Bokurano torrent now exceeds eight terabytes in just a few days. That's 1,000 times bigger than the next torrent on the list, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, the third installment in an already popular series. Since the episode sizes are about the same, that means that Bokurano has been exchanged about 1,000 times more often than Nanoha. If I got my powers of ten correct, those eight terabytes represent nearly 50,000 transfers of the Bokurano episode just since Wednesday. Do you really think all, or even most, of those people have read the manga?

Even if your argument were true, so what? I haven't read the manga, nor have other people posting here. It's just a matter of politeness not to spoil things for us. And, I'll say one more time, there already is a manga thread for this story. If you want to talk about the manga, talk about it there.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 09:24   Link #173
Rion
Ramune~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Wow, "grumpy old anime fan" is a good self-description. I seriously didn't expect such an answer.

I admit that you are right - most anime fans don't seem to read manga, therefore my assumption that most have read the manga is probably wrong. However, Bokurano isn't all as popular as you might expect. With no more than 400 seeders for the first episode, it can't compare to other series such as Darker than Black or Lucky Star. Also, you should notice that most people in this thread have read the manga, especially the ones who have looked forward to the anime. And I can't remember any anime so far where the anime has been compared so much with the manga and I've never seen a mangaka mentioned so often in the anime adaptation thread. All in all, you cannot deny a certain Mohiro Kitoh fanbase, and if you could understand the raving about this mangaka, you'd also understand why it is so difficult to keep your expectations and the original work apart from the adaptation.
And I can predict this much - if the anime keeps this good quality, most of the people who participate actively in this thread will be those who have read the manga.

On the other hand - I never tried to defend spoilering. I just said that I find it difficult (even impossible for myself) to keep thoughts about the manga apart from my judgement of this anime. I don't think it's polite to spoil, but I also don't think it is polite to shut other people's mouth. After all, it's not like these people talk about the newest chapters or the manga storyline, but it's always related to the anime. (And by the way - talking about the manga, the drama CD, the soundtrack etc. is very common in threads about other anime at the Animesuki forums.)
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 11:47   Link #174
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Actually, I fully expected that the majority of posters would be those that read the manga especially since we were encouraged to read the manga on page 1.

People just need to keep the manga comparison spoilers relevant to the episode and those that haven't read the manga would be kept happy. Personally, I like to see the manga readers contribute to this thread. It adds an extra dimension to the discussion imo.

Even Newtype USA was hinting at what wasn't put in spoiler tags on page 2. It's one of the features for Bokurano and what people don't want messed with.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:43   Link #175
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow this series looks as stunning in detail as a Kyoto Animation production, only it has its own style. Interesting that its Gonzo too, which points to the fact that this is the series they are pulling out all the stops on like they did with Last Exile. There'll probably be a midseries budget drop, but it just goes to show that other companies can do just as high-quality animation is KyoAni, but they first have to care enough to try.

And yeah the reason I haven't posted here is because I got this confused with Bokura Ga Ita and didn't feel the need to bother. Well I am here now.

And what's this about Mamiko "I sound my age" Noto being in this. Score. I really think she has a soothing voice compared to 99% of her female VA cohort. The only other person I can think of with that type of voice is Romi Park. Too much good stuff coming out in 2007, what the heck am I supposed to do.

This is the competition that was lacking in 2006 and allowed shows like Haruhi, which is a fantastic show in its own right, to go unchallenged and easily rise to the top of the heap in Summer 2006 and be the top pick of just about anybody (including me that season).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:58   Link #176
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Matsumoto's part must have been the shot of Kodama running against the sunset. That's the one shot in the OP which stuck out the most to me.
Isn't the one running Ushiro? I see the glasses. It is the most stand out scene in the opening... although I'm not really sure if that's Matsumoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Wow this series looks as stunning in detail as a Kyoto Animation production, only it has its own style. Interesting that its Gonzo too, which points to the fact that this is the series they are pulling out all the stops on like they did with Last Exile. There'll probably be a midseries budget drop, but it just goes to show that other companies can do just as high-quality animation is KyoAni, but they first have to care enough to try.
Why are you all the same? Many anime studios highly outshine KyoAni at animation. Stop using them as reference as they have NOTHING SPECIAL other than consistency.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 14:16   Link #177
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
And what's this about Mamiko "I sound my age" Noto being in this. Score. I really think she has a soothing voice compared to 99% of her female VA cohort. The only other person I can think of with that type of voice is Romi Park.
In case you haven't noticed Noto can and does also employ the "cute" type of voice you seem to despise. She does it in her own distinctive way but it's not as if she is above sounding like a girl half her real age, if that's what you meant.

And do you really have to mention KyoAni in every thread?

Quote:
The Triad torrent page reports that total traffic for the Bokurano torrent now exceeds eight terabytes in just a few days. That's 1,000 times bigger than the next torrent on the list, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, the third installment in an already popular series.
Huh? 8 TB is about ten times more as 800GB, not 1,000 times.

Quote:
I certainly can't, Ueda, and while I don't want to hijack this thread to a Gonzo debate I do think its an interesting topic. You hear the "bad endings" argument an awful lot but for me, that doesn't really wash. Lets be honest - very few animes really end well
Yes, it's not as if Gonzo has a monopoly on stupid endings. But maybe I need to watch the worst of Gonzo to see why everyone is complaining about them, what I have seen has been from mediocre to great.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 14:47   Link #178
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
As someone who hasn't read the manga, I just want to ask people to really make an effort to use spoilers for anything that might hint at the plot. I don't mind people comparing the anime to the manga once a plot-part is past, though. And I don't mind open comments about things that don't reveal plot, like music or voice-acting or how much someone liked an episode. But once it's revealed that so-and-so dies, it really rips a lot of tension and interest out of things. When you've already had the pleasure of reading that from the manga, it doesn't matter, so I understand how easy it is to slip and reveal things, but please try not to.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 15:01   Link #179
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Why are you all the same? Many anime studios highly outshine KyoAni at animation. Stop using them as reference as they have NOTHING SPECIAL other than consistency.
You don't have to tell me that. If you think I'm the same as everybody then I don't really know what to say to that.

I'm just glad to see people proven wrong that Gonzo is some horrible evil company that will clearly ruin every single project they do like that dastardly Sunrise.

Something here also reminds me of Zipang. I think its the character design on one of the characters in the opening that looks startlingly like a younger version of the commander on the Mirai.

Also is it just me or does this show need its own manga thread. I don't think I've every seen any show where the manga is mentioned almost as much as the anime itself. Is it supposed to run concurrent to the plot of the anime or something with differing bits of information?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 15:16   Link #180
Scribble
Sloth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I've mentioned in another thread that I feel that this GONZO hating is just jumping on the bandwagon. I bet a large fraction GONZO's haters haven't even GONZO's anime, but feel that it's the proper thing 'in the anime community' to cry "Oh no! It's GONZO!" Like it's some sort of pantomime.

GONZO have had some stinkers, but so have many other companies. I feel that Red Garden was one of the best series in the last year or so.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, mecha

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.