AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2006-11-24, 22:10   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

After School Nightmare

Hmmm...I ran a search for this and nothing turned up. Someone direct me to the thread if I've missed it.

Anywho...anyone reading this (After School Nightmare)? I saw a copy of it on a recent trip to New York. I didn't buy due to the company I was with (company executives/suits), but it looked interesting. About:
Quote:
You have just awakened to find your darkest, ugliest secret revealed to classmates who would do anything to destroy you. This is what's happened to Ichijou Mashiro, whose elite school education turns into the most horrifying experience of his life when he's enlisted by a mysterious school nurse to take an after-hours class. Only those who pass the class will graduate, and the only way for Mashiro to pass is to enter into a nightmare world... where his body and soul will be at the mercy of his worst enemies. Can Mashiro keep his life-long secret - that he is not truly a "he" nor entirely a "she" - or will he finally be "outted" in the most humiliating way possible?
I like the he/she gender twist aspect.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 22:23   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

ANN's page~

It does look pretty interesting, i'm mainly going for the Shojo style crossed with this type of drama - thats hard to find these days. Shall have to pick up volume 01. ^^
Old 2007-02-25, 04:04   Link #3
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

What? Only one reply to this thread? Awww. In fact, the gender confusion theme was my initial draw to this title. The full-colour opening scene definitely sealed the deal for me: light-haired bishounen in a shower, blood on the floor, light-haired bishounen asking himself "wtf?". Yep, definitely my kind of manga . The first volume has kept me thinking wtfxinfinity throughout. It's strange and intense and very gripping. You don't know where the story'll take you. It's wtf-inducing all the way through, for a lack of better terms.

In the end, I guess I'm more interested in how the love triangle aspect will sort itself out. You get this androgynous main character who's a guy by default but is swaying between both modes. Then there's the psychologically scarred, male-hating girl who likes/loves the main character because he's not really male but, while she's no lesbian, he looks like male so it all works out... um, yeah. Then there's the dark-haired casanova who's had nearly every girl in the school but actually doesn't fancy girls and is harbouring a secret desire for the androgynous lead. Lucky person, eh?

Trying to generate a discussion here... Assuming someone's read the second volume, who do you suppose is the knight's armor?
Spoiler for vol 2:
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 13:52   Link #4
Katapan
俺様祭り

This manga surely deserves more attention. I think the author's notes sum up pretty well all the things that are so attractive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setona Mizushiro
"Houkago Hokenshitsu" is a manga crammed full of elements that I like.

Cute things. Cruel things. Black and dark things. Things clear like crystal that sparkle all over. Earnestly erotic things. Things without a clear dividing line. Fluttering skirts. Long, slithering hair. Feathers. Keys. Moons. Happiness which can be traded for something else.
It is such a nice mix of crazy, rare and common themes, just like past works by Setona Mizushiro (I'm thinking of X-Day, which apparently got released in English by Tokyopop).
I think the idea which got me hooked was the fact that people in the dream appeared under their true appearance. I didn't expect to be so fond of the love triangle, although it gets more complicated than a mere triangle as the story goes on. Mashiro's confusion about his/her gender is just as interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runesque View Post
Trying to generate a discussion here... Assuming someone's read the second volume, who do you suppose is the knight's armor?
Spoiler for vol 2:
After checking vol. 2 again (it's been too long, since vol. 5 was released last Friday here):

Spoiler for vol 2 only:
Old 2007-02-25, 22:37   Link #5
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Afterschool Nightmare was actually my first exposure to Mizushiro Setona. As it impressed me so much, I looked into her past works and was surprised at how much her art style has evolved! Anyway, your version of the manga is up to #5? Lucky... Gotta wait 3 months for every next release by Go!Comi . Since I'm so impatient, I've read the translations for up to volume 4 but as that was a while ago I'm forgetting a lot of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Spoiler for vol 2 only:
Spoiler for vol 2:

Any thought as to why Mashiro and Sou are on first-name basis despite (supposedly) not being on good terms with each other? And just which one is his/her family name: Mashiro or Ichijo? I don't think anyone other than Sou has called him Ichijo; not even Kureha. Or maybe it's translation problems?

Last edited by Runesque; 2007-02-25 at 22:58.
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 22:07   Link #6
whatever_yoshi

after school nightmare - need help :((

Iíve been going along with this manga from the beginning Ö& BOOM! All of a sudden it was just stop published from vol 7 ítil now. Before I realized when or how or why I wanna read it so bad , I found myself search it from internet like crazy >Ē< !!!! All I have now are 5 first vol by Eng, and the last vol 8,9,10 by Japanese (!!! I've already given up finding those 8,9,10 by Eng ( I just need spoiler ( !!!

Any of you here already finished reading this manga ??? Can you tell me what happened then & also translation some nice or important conversation? I love this manga so badddddd (! Plzzzzzzz ???

My email is here; yepyep_yepyep@yahoo.com
Thx u so muchhh!!!
whatever_yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 13:03   Link #7
Nervous Venus

My first exposure to Mizushiro Setona was with a shonen ai manga. I forgot the title.

I've recently finished Houkago Hokenshitsu a month ago. I can truly say that it was truly unexpected that

Spoiler for REALLY BIG ENDING SPOILER:

She did manage to drop some hints, but I still found it quite surprising nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runesque
Any thought as to why Mashiro and Sou are on first-name basis despite (supposedly) not being on good terms with each other? And just which one is his/her family name: Mashiro or Ichijo? I don't think anyone other than Sou has called him Ichijo; not even Kureha. Or maybe it's translation problems?
As classmates, it's not strange for Sou to call Mashiro by his/her last name. Ichijo isn't that uncommon for a last name. And I've heard of people with the first name "Mashiro".
Quote:
Then there's the dark-haired casanova who's had nearly every girl in the school but actually doesn't fancy girls and is harbouring a secret desire for the androgynous lead
Actually, I don't think he has real feelings for Ichijo. He has this thing for
Spoiler:

Last edited by Nervous Venus; 2008-08-07 at 14:31.
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 22:05   Link #8
whatever_yoshi

wao!!!

@Nervous Venus: Seems like u've already finished this manga???
"the dark-haired casanova" u guys talking about is Sou??? Or Kurosaki-senpai??

I really want to know smt more about this kurosaki-senpai!! he's still a mystery for now What happened to him then ?? I took a look at vol 8,9,10 though I hardly understand a thing & I dont know what happened in his past? What Mashiro & others figure out he's the dark knight not Sou? Does he has a crush on mashiro as well???
OOh sooo many questions (!!! Can u do me a favor??
whatever_yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 15:28   Link #9
Nervous Venus

I will look over v 8, 9, 10 for you tonight and tomorrow night. I'll try to get back with you then
Old 2008-08-19, 16:51   Link #10
kirakira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post

Actually, I don't think he has real feelings for Ichijo. He has this thing for
Spoiler:
I've read all the volumes,and if you've read them too i don't know why you say this thing.
Spoiler:
kirakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 12:17   Link #11
Katapan
俺様祭り

I don't have much to say on the manga in this post (I finished the series a few months ago, and I loved the end to bits, I hope Mizushiro Setona's next series can surprise me as much), but wow, I just realized that Houkago Hokenshitsu was adapted into a drama CD last month. The cast looks great.

Ichijou Mashiro - Sawashiro Miyuki
Mizuhashi Sou - Ono Daisuke
Fujishima Kureha - Hazuki Erino
Mizuhashi Ai - Noto Mamiko
Shinbashi Kazuyuki - Kishio Daisuke
Kurosaki Kouichirou - Nojima Hirofumi

Genderbending Miyukuchi in particular sounds awesome. Actually, Kuwashima Houko would have been my first pick for Mashiro, I think, but I'm very pleased with this too. Ono as Sou? Way to make the character even sexier. Noto as Ai must be a nice change from her usual roles (since I'm sure she can pull it off anyway).

Too bad the series will probably never get animated. It's shoujo, it's published by Akita Shonen (their titles hardly ever get adaptations)... but what do I know - maybe someone will have faith in the power of genderbending! (a BONES or Brain's Base producer, please?)
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 12:32   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Married

the title sounds like something form my hentai collection
Old 2008-12-24, 07:57   Link #13
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
And I thought it's a horror manga....
Old 2008-12-24, 12:04   Link #14
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
I've read all the volumes,and if you've read them too i don't know why you say this thing.
Spoiler:
Depending on if your a cup half full, cup half empty type of person, the ending was open-ended. Yeah, they
Spoiler:
, but what happens after is left up to your imagination. Yes, I'd like to believe that
Spoiler:

Anyway, the statement I made was regarding something that Sou had mentioned.
Spoiler:
The person I was talking to was on v4. I'm not about to seriously spoil that part of the story for them xD
Old 2009-01-31, 17:25   Link #15
Dop
We can't stop here...

Well, I just read the final volume, and I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting THAT.
Wow. That was marvellous, and I loved the impression that Sou had also been born into this world.

Did anyone else think that 'graduation' bore a certain parallel to the 'day of flight' in Haibane Renmei?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 16:42   Link #16
Yuka-Chan
柊ユカ
*Graphic Designer

its my fav manga,i'm done reading v7 for now. ^^;
but i cant seem to find more ;~;
Yuka-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 16:16   Link #17
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

oh wow this thread is barren makes me a sad panda knowing how underrated this manga is.

anyway i just finished the entire series in literally a day. it was probably the most engrossing, poignant, preplexing and downright relatable story i have ever read. this manga seamlessly fit together genres that i'd never find compatible. EVER.

Spoiler for spoilers abound for end of series:
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote