AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-01, 18:27   Link #1281
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseiD999 View Post
Sennin: a Taoist or Buddhist ascetic who has obtained magical powers and immortality through ascetic practices in the mountains. A direct copy and paste from the dictionary..
It's not in my dictionary. But I remembered it right anyway Thanks.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 19:18   Link #1282
Shiki Nanaya

Kazuma's Last Name

Ive been wondering about this for quite a while, about Kazuma's last name as Yagami, since i dont read the novels and only follow the anime (since i cant get my hands on em), is his last name "Yagami" possibly be Tsuo Rin's last name as well? Since I really like this show because in my opinion it somewhat resembles Samurai X, well about the romance part anyway about the main guy changing completely, but the difference is in samurai x kenshin became weaker (as someone who doesnt kill) while kazuma became stronger (as someone who will take revenge). Also i got the idea of Kazuma's last name "Yagami" being Tsuo Rin since it is the same for Samurai X, Kenshin's last name "Himura" is actually Tomoe's last name, since his last name wasnt known as far as i know, since his real name is Shinta, but his only last name he took was Himura because of Tomoe. So it's kinda interesting to think or if it is the same situation in KnS, Kazuma using Tsuo Rin's last name, which makes it more reasonable rather than him just picking his last name by random which would be pretty lame explanation.
Shiki Nanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 20:07   Link #1283
lightbringer
M9000

Interesting theory, but doesn't Tsuo Rin sound Chinese? And Kazuma probably left Japan after being exiled, since in the first episode they're like "he came back to Japan". My guess is that he met her in China, and that she would probably not have a Japanese surname.
Old 2007-06-01, 20:42   Link #1284
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

can someone tell me what does Yagami mean in japanese? Is there any special meaning behind his name?
Old 2007-06-01, 20:52   Link #1285
lightbringer
M9000

Yagami in this case is written as 八神, the kanji for "eight" and "god". I don't know Japanese and hence will leave interpretation to others or to your imagination

Some ideas:
Hermopolitan Ogdoad - eight gods of chaos in Egyptian mythology
Ashta-Dikpalas - eight gods guarding the directions in Hindu mythology
Yamata no Orochi - an eight-headed snake (in some accounts likened to a deity of nature) in Japanese mythology (okay, this last one is probably out of the loony bin)

Last edited by lightbringer; 2007-06-01 at 21:13.
Old 2007-06-02, 04:59   Link #1286
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Spoiler for click for more, contains novel spoiler for coming episodes..be careful!:
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:17   Link #1287
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
what obligations the wind spirit king expects...maybe his baseline is on vengeance
I find it difficult to believe that a divine being could be so petty.
Old 2007-06-02, 12:22   Link #1288
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well,maybe that devine comes from Greek mythology? we all know what nice God Dzeus was (seducing other poeples wives) or how nice other greek gods were.

If such devine being comes from the same circle as those, then everything is possible. Even the most petty things...

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2007-06-02 at 13:38.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 13:38   Link #1289
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah divine beings can certainly be petty if they feel like it. Won't go and judge the wind king until I get to know him better . But depends I guess on where you get your divine beings from.
Old 2007-06-02, 13:53   Link #1290
lightbringer
M9000

Good point, pantheons modeled on human nature do have some very un-god-like behavioral patterns. I'm still hoping that it turns out to be some kind of "cardinal guardians" type of system with wise rulers as protectors. On the other hand, we already know that KnS wind has some "sneaky" attributes, so it's not a far stretch to what you guys are suggesting.
Old 2007-06-02, 14:09   Link #1291
PerseiD999

Speculation1

Well, Human Beings and the Elemental Spirits are not exactly the friends if you look at it from the environmental aspect, as the human society grows, we cut down trees (Earth Spirits unhappy), pollute the water (Water Spirits unhappy), pollute the air (Wind Spirits unhappy), now the Fire Spirits seem to be the only exception here…Also, except for the very special few, Kazuma holds absolutely no feelings for people in general. Connecting these two facts can surely lead to some interesting conclusions..

Speculation 2

According to the OP&ED, Gonzo might just pull off an ancient contract (lame excuse?) or something to explain the bond between Wind and Fire and the reason why a potential Wind Contractor would be born into a Fire Clan in the first place.

Spoiler for Kazuma‘s travel documents:

I don’t recall any special explanation about Kazuma’s surname in the novel (either it‘s never there or I overlooked, I am re-reading the novel at the moment as the anime goes), the only thing I can think of regarding Yagami, it’s the name of a fighter (Yagami Iori) in KOF (an action game) with the most powerful mid-air techniques..
PerseiD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 14:51   Link #1292
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Speculation1

Well, Human Beings and the Elemental Spirits are not exactly the friends if you look at it from the environmental aspect, as the human society grows, we cut down trees (Earth Spirits unhappy), pollute the water (Water Spirits unhappy), pollute the air (Wind Spirits unhappy), now the Fire Spirits seem to be the only exception here…Also, except for the very special few, Kazuma holds absolutely no feelings for people in general. Connecting these two facts can surely lead to some interesting conclusions..

Speculation 2

According to the OP&ED, Gonzo might just pull off an ancient contract (lame excuse?) or something to explain the bond between Wind and Fire and the reason why a potential Wind Contractor would be born into a Fire Clan in the first place.

Spoiler for Kazuma‘s travel documents:

I don’t recall any special explanation about Kazuma’s surname in the novel (either it‘s never there or I overlooked, I am re-reading the novel at the moment as the anime goes), the only thing I can think of regarding Yagami, it’s the name of a fighter (Yagami Iori) in KOF (an action game) with the most powerful mid-air techniques..
1) haha well that explains why fire mages fight on the side of justice...unlike poor air pollution over here and it corresponds well with kazuma's destructive attitude :3

2) rule of anime #238

in the world of anime...japanese is the universal language bumping away english

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 15:27   Link #1293
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I have seen a few animes where they actually went correct in the language. Ghost Hunt, when there was a man from England, spoke English(not Engrish...lol).

Few others where French and German have been spoken.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 15:34   Link #1294
lightbringer
M9000

Those are few and far between Black Lagoon (the manga, most definitely not the anime) had correct English and, what's even more surprising, correct Russian (the pronunciation was miles off in the anime, for both languages). GitS:SAC/SSS soundtracks also feature correct Russian, but that's only because Origa is singing The handwritten note in Eden v15 was almost correct, but because of one mistake was nearly undecipherable :S More recently, I think the homepage for the Toward the Terra anime featured an intro blurb in completely grammatical English. It should still be referenced on one of the first pages of that anime's thread.
Old 2007-06-02, 15:35   Link #1295
himura90

ive just watched until episode 7 this series is sooo.... mmm interesting to watch,
episode 8 seems promising , cant wait to see
himura90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 16:06   Link #1296
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well as long as interesting is good then it's fine .

Episode 8 will be fun to watch again when the subs are out.

An interesting theory with the spirits. We certainly have some destructive forces doing damage to the air, ground, and sea. Though I don't know if fire would be completely happy. We crazy humans are always trying to put out buildings on fire. Throw in trying to stop forest fires you'd think we'd be on each other. Every time good old fire tries to get going we try to stop it.
Old 2007-06-02, 17:10   Link #1297
holyman282

I find it interesting to note that in ep 7

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-02, 17:31   Link #1298
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well I think in everything he was referring to the people he cared about. Considering the amount of casualties we've had so far. He has the power to protect everything, though perhaps not the desire in some cases. Just having the power so he doesn't have to choose whether to let one person he cares for die or to save a different one.

Might be too convenient if he simply had to protect those he cared about and no longer have to run away from problems.
Old 2007-06-02, 18:13   Link #1299
PerseiD999

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
An interesting theory with the spirits. We certainly have some destructive forces doing damage to the air, ground, and sea. Though I don't know if fire would be completely happy. We crazy humans are always trying to put out buildings on fire. Throw in trying to stop forest fires you'd think we'd be on each other. Every time good old fire tries to get going we try to stop it.
Well, we do our best to put out all fire hazards, but there is a lot more fire being used in industry, everyday lives or being lit simply due to accidents. Besides, I guess the Fire Spirits are happy about the global warming because Ayano once mentioned that everything that’s warm has Fire Spirits inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I find it interesting to note that in ep 7

Spoiler:
“Everything He Cares”…basically you can count all of them with one hand.

If you prefer to see Kazuma as a good person who cares for others, stick to the anime, do not go read any novel translation or just be careful and read the sweet and funny parts only. All potentially disturbing scenes in the novel have been either removed or changed in the anime.

If you don’t mind otherwise, go for the novel when it comes out (I think baka‘s planning to do the translation), because all those evil things Kazuma does and wicked remarks he makes really shine even though they get on my nerves sometimes..(now this is my own problem…)

Last edited by PerseiD999; 2007-06-02 at 18:28.
PerseiD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 19:45   Link #1300
holyman282

what do you mean by disturbing scenes? can you give me some examples?

Tags
fantasy, shounen