AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-10-27, 21:59   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
As of Aug 2010 I will be on hiatus so will not be active as I used to be (this could be considered good news or bad news depending on your viewpoint). Please contact another Mod if you require any help or assistance.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 00:05   Link #2
james0246

Thank you xris for making the thread earlier than usual.

As to a prediction, since Luffy is about to enter Gear 2/3, I expect either a fairly quick fight (in which Luffy takes down one if not both of the sisters), Boa's sisters will prove to be even tougher than expected, or Boa herself will come down to fight Luffy now that she knows the power that he possesses. Honestly, I am not expecting much solid plot development from this chapter, rather I expect pure action. If we can get a little more info on Haki I will be excited, and if Boa's sister are defeated I will be happy because that will mean that this arc will be ending soon, and a switch to a different character will occur.

That being said, I have a question: Why are Sandersonia and Marygold's Zoan forms so damn large? I understand that a Zoan form (non-Rumble Ball) can get to 3-5 times as large as the actual regular body (case and point, Lucci's Leopard Form), but snakes are fairly small creatures (at least in regards to width and height if not length) and the sisters Zoan builds are far larger than the general 3-5 times as large.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 00:09   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, I've been thinking its because the 2 of them have such big heads, the resulting zoan body would use the size of their heads as a gauge for their actual zoan size lol

But really, Zoan sizes are quite random.

Falcons are relatively small sized birds of prey, but the one we had was big enough to house 2 gattling guns. Lucchi as you had mentioned. And not to forget Monster Point.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 01:55   Link #4
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Well the fight is finaly getting serius atlest. It was clear that Luffy wasent really fighting very seriusly in the last chapter, while Stamp and Gattling gun are good moves its been more like he has been testing the water's. Not before the threat against Margaret's statue did his attitude about the fight change. He was also taken a little off guard by how Haki hurt him.

This chapter im kinda thinking Whip against Thunderstonia and Rifle against Marigold. That Snakedance of Thundersonia wont help her against an attack like whip, and Jet Whip at that. Jet Riffle is one of the most hard hitting attacks Luffy also has that should make Marigold feel it quite well. If not he just goes Gigant Pistol or Whip and clear's both of them, but that would be a little to short of a fight, Im also expecting quite alot of Audience pannels of shocked faces and considering the chapter will be around 18-20 Pages i expect something like: 3 or so pages of Intro before Luffy's first attack, A fight going rapid from there and either the fight continues this whole chapter and ends next, or it will end with 1 or 2 pages left, with Luffy looking up at Hancock and the Audience in total disbelief.
Sordes Pilosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 02:02   Link #5
Genius-kun
Away for a bit...
*Scanlator

Argh i cant believe Luffy got this wasted nooooo... but hes serious now. Now that he uses haki he ll pwn those sisters.

Genius-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 02:18   Link #6
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

I still haven't decided what should be better to finish the chapter, the two snake sisters lying on the ground after losing badly, or their arrogant sister to do the same, following her sisters.
Old 2008-10-28, 03:48   Link #7
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I still hope for some sort of revelation like Hancock beeing a relative of Luffy and suddenly becoming nice.
Luffy already beat two of the Shichibukai and is probably going to defeat another one or two in the future, so I'd really like this encounter to end different for a change. And converting a Shichibukai would ba a nice change.
While converting Boa would be an interesting twist, converting Boa would hurt her more than simply being defeated by Luffy (considering the fact that Moria is still considered a Shichibukai even though he and his vast crew were all defeated, it would be better for Boa to lose, rather than face the wrath of the WG for her betrayal)). It doesn't help that she is such a self-centered bitch, specifically, she cannot change that much due to the fact that she would be too different from how she was originally portrayed if she all of a sudden cared if Luffy was a relative or not.

That being said, Luffy was owned thoroughly by Kuma (and seems to have no chance against DoFlamingo, Blackbeard and Mihawk, let alone the possibility of Jinbei), so I have no problem with him defeating Boa here and now. Or better yet, he can tie with Boa, and then the elder Amazon woman (that marvelB has developed a weird crush on) could come in and rescue Luffy from the situation, leading Luffy to an extra boat, and setting him on his way back to his crew, with Boa pursuing to seek her revenge. (Boa could then join up with Smoker (and Buggy and Alvida (and Perona)) later on as they all seek revenge on Luffy .)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 04:15   Link #8
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

In my opinion the best solution should be : Luffy beating sisters until they cant move anymore, tieing their tails together and form a snakeball and then gomu gomu no golden rifle (in this case, snake rifle) hancock in the face
Old 2008-10-28, 04:23   Link #9
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Well, considering Oda. He aint the type to leave alot of Lose ends, he always seams to tie them up and every lose end we belive exists is only a prelude to something later in the story so all things does get taken care of rather well so far.

And considering this trait of Oda there is just 1 thing i belive will be very relevant for this arc. Thats Boa's back. Boa's back and Margaret holds a central spot in this Arc. Margaret because of Luffy's "Hey i owe them my life" And they way their being kept whole etc does indicate they will be released. Then there is that back, I dont really see Luffy and Hancock fighting much, I see the two sister's being trashed but not Hancock, I think that it will end with Luffy's pretty standard personality "What is it that you want ?" Asked by Hancock "Hmm a ride to SA.. and these returned to normal" And if asked "is that all ?" Luffy would go "Yes". Luffy is the type to end hostilities just like that.

But the fight with the two younger sister's will end. And an other event is a second outburst of Haki from Luffy at some point. Margaret will likly feel that debt of hers massivly increase and follow Luffy as a result. Luffy wont leave and travel alone, He is stil quite far from the rest of his Crew.. Can anyone even imagine Luffy like he was in the East Blue traveling around in a Barrel or simular in the Grand Line ? He wouldent get anywhere on his own and he knows it.
Old 2008-10-28, 07:31   Link #10
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
...the elder Amazon woman (that marvelB has developed a weird crush on) ...
someone has a crush on that elder?
Old 2008-10-28, 07:31   Link #11
Wai
Need a hand?

I agree with Sordes Pilosus... I don't think Boa will get a serious beating like Crocodile and Moria (probably because Oda is reluctant to show pretty women being beaten up by male protagonists). However, I can imagine Sandersonia and Marigold being defeated.

"Pretty" women who have been beaten up by male characters so far (from my memory of course):
- Ms Valentine (Luffy)
- Vivi (Luffy)
- Tashigi (Zoro, but this doesn't really count)
- Nun from Baroque Works (Zoro knocked her out with the back of his sword)
- Nico Robin (Crocodile, Yama, Spandam)

Don't forget, Sandersonia and Marigold are pretty "large" women. If I recall back from chapter 518, they were almost twice the height of Hancock. Multiply that by 3 or 5 times and *poof* you get two large hybrid Zoans.

Last edited by Wai; 2008-10-28 at 08:29.
Wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 10:25   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Or better yet, he can tie with Boa, and then the elder Amazon woman (that marvelB has developed a weird crush on) could come in and rescue Luffy from the situation, leading Luffy to an extra boat, and setting him on his way back to his crew, with Boa pursuing to seek her revenge. (Boa could then join up with Smoker (and Buggy and Alvida (and Perona)) later on as they all seek revenge on Luffy .)

Heh, that's right! I've got the hots for the former empress!

But in all seriousness, I have my doubts about Luffy turning Hancock to the "good side", even if she DOES turn out to be his mother of some other relative of his. I'd think that she would be WAY too cocky and stuck-up (almost literally, since she tends to look upwards towards anyone she looks down upon) to be easily convinced to help Luffy, even if he actually does manage to lay the smackdown on her.

And about that.... I still can't really see Luffy beating Hancock at this point (not easily, anyway). He may have a rare type of Haki, but he doesn't have good control over it yet (heck, he's not even aware of it!). That's why I keep thinking that old Nyon will come along to help him out, and will probably be the one to give Luffy an explanation about how Haki works. After all, I'd think an experienced elder like her would give a better explanation of its nature than any of the younger amazons.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 11:45   Link #13
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Sure she could. but that wouldent be Oda's style, It would be far more like Oda to have Margaret talk about it "after" she is saved. Luffy will win this with his current abilities, he wont fight Hancock massivly since alot will get resolved when that woman's back gets mentioned.
Old 2008-10-28, 12:02   Link #14
LeoThugs
Ero Sennin the Second

Send a message via Yahoo to LeoThugs
what I love the most in this arc is the way Boa looks down on people .. so much that she actually looks up. Not contributing to the thread in anyway I know that, but damn .. I just felt like getting that off my chest.

Please continue with your discussions and predictions.
LeoThugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 12:21   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Sure she could. but that wouldent be Oda's style, It would be far more like Oda to have Margaret talk about it "after" she is saved.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. So far, it's mainly been the older characters who revealed the most important info in the series (Crocus talking about the last island in the Grand Line, Kureha being the first person to mention the "Will of D", Rayleigh revealing the truth about Roger's capture, etc.). Therefore, I wouldn't put it past Oda to have Nyon be the person to reveal the true nature of Haki to Luffy....
Old 2008-10-28, 12:27   Link #16
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Thats a different thing. She wont be someone however capable of stoping Luffy's fight. That would totaly "pop the baloon" of this whole arc making it extremly anticlimatic. If she is the one to explain, sure i can agree to that. But she saving Luffy ? no way
Old 2008-10-28, 14:38   Link #17
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

i doubt that luffy will beat hancock. i mean when he faced croc it took three tries to beat him plus croc wasnt even taking him too seriously. Infact he should have died after the first two fights but his luck and outside help saved him(i.e. robin helping him and the large water bubble hydrating him). And moria too didnt take him seriously thinking he was just some rookie pirate. plus moria took atleast 1000 hits from a nightmare luffy(which turned oz's bones to dust) and got back up again. when he got back up he realized that luffy put shadows inside himself to get stronger(something that he didnt even know u could do)and put 1000 or something inside him. but he didnt know that the more shadows u put in yourslelf the harder it is to control them. and while he struggled with himself luffy took the oppurtunity to attack him in the stomach to make him release his shadows. He kept hitting him until a tower next to moria broke and fell on him forcing him to spit out his shadows and knocking him out.

So anyways what im trying to say is the last two shichibukia that fell to luffy lost because of luffys amazing luck and their own arrogance to fighting seriously. but in boa's case she just saw the haki of the kings in luffy. seeing this she should realize that in order to win she has to take him seriously and use full force.
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 15:25   Link #18
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Thats a different thing. She wont be someone however capable of stoping Luffy's fight. That would totaly "pop the baloon" of this whole arc making it extremly anticlimatic. If she is the one to explain, sure i can agree to that. But she saving Luffy ? no way

Oh, I never said that she would save Luffy. At least, not mid-fight anyway. The way I'd see it, Luffy would challenge Hancock, maybe get in a lucky hit, but would be ultimately dominated by her superior (at least during this point of the story) Haki abilities. Then when she's about to finish him off, Nyon makes her move, stopping Hancock's final blow with her Haki, and then drags Luffy (along with Margaret and co. too, I guess) away from the arena. Then she could give Luffy a grand lecture about Haki while healing his wounds....

Of course, another possibility to consider is Nyon and Luffy teaming up against Hancock right there in the arena. That way, there's a better chance that she'll be beaten sooner rather than later....

Either way, I'm expecting to see that old lady kick some ass. She's pretty much like Gan Fall from Skypiea: A former ruler who's against the current regime. The fact that she WAS an empress, along with her line about still being a Kuja warrior strongly implies that she's no cannon fodder. Plus, we've yet to find out the reason why she left her country when she was an active ruler....
Old 2008-10-28, 16:01   Link #19
Rainbowman

The moment I saw this thread, I thought that the chapter was out. So where is the summary already?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 17:13   Link #20
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
The moment I saw this thread, I thought that the chapter was out. So where is the summary already?
Not out yet. It's opened usually no for free speculation. Joy.