AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-15, 02:12   Link #501
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, is this the first time you've read this manga? Or have you forgotten the past chapters already?

Saying random things is what Hayate does in tense situations.
I don't think he would say something random. He can be pretty cool when he wants to and puts on that business smile. And Hayate has had time to prepare what he wants to say so I don't think he is going to say something random.

My guess is that his two things he really wants to say will be serious but he will say random stuff before. I mean, it is not like he can only say two things to her and that is it. He just happens to have to well thought out things to say to her.

And a lot of random confusing babble will come out before that.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 04:42   Link #502
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, is this the first time you've read this manga? Or have you forgotten the past chapters already?
There have been only 2 times when this manga has actually been serious. The first one when we were told about Yukariko, and the second time when the story with Athena was explained. Comedy has worked throughout the whole manga, because most of the situations have been like that; however, this particular situation wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Saying random things is what Hayate does in tense situations.
What has been tense got to do with this? These are things he already has in mind, not things he'll come up with at the time he meets her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Erm, isn't that what I've said?
No, what you said is that there can be romance and comedy; you didn't say anything about a proper mood (unless that's your idea of a proper mood, because that'd be a different thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
When I said BOTH Romance AND Comedy, I meant why not one line be comedy and one line be romance?
I misunderstood that then. I thought you meant he'd just blurt out 2 stupid things, but that'd make Athena happy, and that'd lead to some romance.

Anyway, I think we're talking about preferences now. So, there's not really much to discuss.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 06:06   Link #503
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
There have been only 2 times when this manga has actually been serious. The first one when we were told about Yukariko, and the second time when the story with Athena was explained. Comedy has worked throughout the whole manga, because most of the situations have been like that; however, this particular situation wasn't.

Then you must have skipped of Sakuya's birthday.

No no, I'm not going to spoil if for you by pointing what which part, you'll just have to read the story...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
What has been tense got to do with this? These are things he already has in mind, not things he'll come up with at the time he meets her.

So you're saying that the next time Hayate meets Athena and talks to her, it would NOT be tense, but rather happy, bubbly and lighthearted?

Oh okay, if you insist.

And, I never said that I was refering to what Hayate is currently thinking to himself, why are you bring that up?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
No, what you said is that there can be romance and comedy; you didn't say anything about a proper mood (unless that's your idea of a proper mood, because that'd be a different thing).
No, I said I don't think the writer wants this to continue to be a tragic. At which you replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
After all, I don't think the writer wants this to continue to be a tragic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
The idea is not this to become a tragedy, but to follow things with the proper mood (also, I do not think Hayate wants to tell her something that will make her sad). Personally, I wouldn't find it fun at all if the two things Hayate wants to tell Athena are stupid.



Which is basically the same thing as I've said, only with extras.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2008-08-15 at 06:48.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 07:43   Link #504
primuler
Love For 3D
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: This planet.
I know I'm bringing up an old topic, but I suddenly had a strange idea:

young Hayate thought about seeing 'A-tan'(Athena) and he ended up seeing 'A-tan' (Maria)

As for the reason why young Hayate knows Maria? Maybe that mirror shows you people you'll get to know in future as well. Or there are some truths in Hayate's past to be revealed...
primuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 11:04   Link #505
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Then you must have skipped of Sakuya's birthday.
What about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So you're saying that the next time Hayate meets Athena and talks to her, it would NOT be tense, but rather happy, bubbly and lighthearted?
Obviously not, but whatever he wants to say he already has it in mind. Additionally, he seems serious about the things he wants to tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
And, I never said that I was refering to what Hayate is currently thinking to himself, why are you bring that up?
Because we've been talking about the 2 things he wants to tell her, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
No, I said I don't think the writer wants this to continue to be a tragic.
Why would the lack of comedy make the scene tragic? I understand your point of view in which having Hayate saying something silly would go along with other things we've seen in the manga, my point is, comedy in this kind of situations would simply ruin the mood. With mood, I'm not talking about the sad feeling of the time they parted with each other, but the mood one would usually expect in a scene where characters like these 2 get to start anew (whatever their relationship may end up like).
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 11:18   Link #506
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
What about it?
Like I've said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
No no, I'm not going to spoil if for you by pointing what which part, you'll just have to read the story...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Obviously not, but whatever he wants to say he already has it in mind. Additionally, he seems serious about the things he wants to tell her.
So what is your reason for disagreeing that the scene would be tense again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
What has been tense got to do with this? These are things he already has in mind, not things he'll come up with at the time he meets her.


I don't get you, you keep bring things up that has nothing to do with what I've originally said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Because we've been talking about the 2 things he wants to tell her, no?
No, I've been taking heat from you just because I said that the scene would be tense, and I don't understand why.

Then you keep saying things like Hayate has already thought about what to say. Which does not in fact mean any damn thing to the tension of the situation when they finally meet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Why would the lack of comedy make the scene tragic? I understand your point of view in which having Hayate saying something silly would go along with other things we've seen in the manga, my point is, comedy in this kind of situations would simply ruin the mood. With mood, I'm not talking about the sad feeling of the time they parted with each other, but the mood one would usually expect in a scene where characters like these 2 get to start anew (whatever their relationship may end up like).
Read my original sentence very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
And if he could make her laugh/smile, I say it's a success. After all, I don't think the writer wants this to continue to be a tragic.


That's it. That's all I've said. And even before that all I've said was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Why not both? Romance and Comedy goes hand-in-hand.


Which I've already explained that I meant ONE romantic line to win the girl, whatever he says is up to your imagination. And ONE comedy line to break the T-E-N-S-I-O-N of the situation.

So please, explain to me, why is it bad to remove tension?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 12:21   Link #507
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Which I've already explained that I meant ONE romantic line to win the girl, whatever he says is up to your imagination. And ONE comedy line to break the T-E-N-S-I-O-N of the situation.

So please, explain to me, why is it bad to remove tension?
As I mentioned before. The two lines can be serious. He can say more then just two things. He currently has two things he really wants to say to her and those are probably be serious. The stupidity and randomness can come before that with stuff he hasn't preplanned.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 17:58   Link #508
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Just to stray a bit, do you guys expect Izumi to play any interesting role any time soon? Additionally, what kind of relationship do you think Maria may have had with Athena? What may she know about her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Like I've said,
I know what chapter you're talking about, what I'd like to know is why you've mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So what is your reason for disagreeing that the scene would be tense again?
I've never disagreed there'd be some tension between them - hey, just look what happened last time they met; there'll definitely be tension when they meet again. All I've said is the lack of comedy wouldn't make the scene sad/tragic, and I also think the tension can be broken even before he says those two things he wants to tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't get you, you keep bring things up that has nothing to do with what I've originally said.
Because I'd understand if he'd say something silly if he'd just be making those two things up on the moment. However, he has already thought up whatever he wants to tell her; so, there's no big reason for one of the two things he wants to tell her to be something silly just because of the tension, and I do not think Hayate thought beforehand "Hey! I'll say something silly to break the tension." :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
No, I've been taking heat from you just because I said that the scene would be tense, and I don't understand why.
I haven't been criticising you mate, nor have I said the scene wouldn't be tense. All I've tried to say is that, in my opinion, having one of the two things Hayate wants to tell Athena be a silly line wouldn't fit, that's all. If you believe it'd be okay, it's all cool with me and it's none of my concern since that's your opinion/preference.

tl;dr: I don't want the scene to be sad/tragic, but I'd like it to start serious and end up being heart-warming. But, who knows? The author may decide to add some comedy in it and I may end up liking it. After all, I did say the addition of a new character this late would be stupid, and just look, Athena is my favourite character now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
As I mentioned before. The two lines can be serious. He can say more then just two things. He currently has two things he really wants to say to her and those are probably be serious. The stupidity and randomness can come before that with stuff he hasn't preplanned.
My thoughts, exactly.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 02:20   Link #509
Anant
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Spoiler 188

I have no idea to spoil this episode, because of insufficient information.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Anant; 2008-08-19 at 10:27.
Anant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 03:22   Link #510
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Nice, and it seems all/most of the girls will be involved in this, thanks again Anant.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 04:17   Link #511
rainking187
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Honestly, as much as I'd dislike to see it, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a plot twist by the end of the story that makes Hayate end up with Nagi.

Wait, plot twist? Is there really someone that expects the series to end any other way? Of course he'll end up with Nagi. That's the way things go. Athena doesn't have a chance in hell. I've never read a romantic comedy where the main character ends up with a girl that doesn't show up until nearly 200 chapters in. Hell, I can't think of any harem series I've read where the guy ends up with a girl that doesn't show up in the first chapter. The childhood sweetheart/best friend always loses to the new girl in the main characters life. Except when they're occasionally the same person. I forsee one of two endings. A) There's no real final word on the relationship and Hayate continues to work for Nagi, or B) Flash forward a few years and Hayate and Nagi are getting married. Any other ending will leave me stunned.
rainking187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 04:52   Link #512
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking187 View Post
Wait, plot twist? Is there really someone that expects the series to end any other way? Of course he'll end up with Nagi. That's the way things go. Athena doesn't have a chance in hell. I've never read a romantic comedy where the main character ends up with a girl that doesn't show up until nearly 200 chapters in. Hell, I can't think of any harem series I've read where the guy ends up with a girl that doesn't show up in the first chapter. The childhood sweetheart/best friend always loses to the new girl in the main characters life. Except when they're occasionally the same person. I forsee one of two endings. A) There's no real final word on the relationship and Hayate continues to work for Nagi, or B) Flash forward a few years and Hayate and Nagi are getting married. Any other ending will leave me stunned.
I don't think that he is going to end up with Nagi. I mean he will end up with her as in probably be her butler and support for the rest of her life. But I do not think he will end up with her romantically. He does not have even a shred of interest in her. Even if she was older, he has a certain attachment to her that does not remotely connect to love. Well, maybe family type love but that is it. He has a wish to stand by her and protect her and help her not become a horrible human but not be her husband.

However, I do agree that it would be surprising if he ended up with Athena. She will for sure have a huge influence on the plot and on his relationships in general, but I don't think he is going to end up with her. I mean he did only throw her in after almost 200 chapters so she has not gotten nearly as much screen time as anyone else. She has become popular with everyone, but I doubt the author for sure guessed this would happen. And I do not think the author would risk the wrath of his readers by trying to have the ending be with a largely unknown and brand new character.

My guess is still a Hina or Maria ending. No idea which I prefer more. Probably Hinagiku, but that is mostly because I believe she deserves it after the junk the author has already put her through. However Maria was the first one that he had a crush on in the manga that we could see so I don't know.

The only thing that makes me think that a Nagi end is possible is that prophecy type thing that Nagi's Grandfather made that if Hayate follows his stones guidance he will get tons and tons of money. And I can only guess that he would get it through marrying Nagi.

... Sheesh. I could probably write an essay on Hayate the Combat Butler if I wanted.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 05:11   Link #513
rainking187
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
I don't think that he is going to end up with Nagi. I mean he will end up with her as in probably be her butler and support for the rest of her life. But I do not think he will end up with her romantically. He does not have even a shred of interest in her. Even if she was older, he has a certain attachment to her that does not remotely connect to love. Well, maybe family type love but that is it. He has a wish to stand by her and protect her and help her not become a horrible human but not be her husband.
I don't know about that, he's done plenty of stuff so far that makes it seem like he cares for her more then just as a butler. Will we see them married? Perhaps not. But there are definitely feelings of love of some sort. Having him end up with Maria? I really just can't see that happening. Yeah, he had a crush on her, but I feel it's more of a "She's the only girl my age in the whole house" thing.
rainking187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 11:07   Link #514
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking187 View Post
Wait, plot twist? Is there really someone that expects the series to end any other way? Of course he'll end up with Nagi. That's the way things go. Athena doesn't have a chance in hell. I've never read a romantic comedy where the main character ends up with a girl that doesn't show up until nearly 200 chapters in. Hell, I can't think of any harem series I've read where the guy ends up with a girl that doesn't show up in the first chapter. The childhood sweetheart/best friend always loses to the new girl in the main characters life. Except when they're occasionally the same person. I forsee one of two endings. A) There's no real final word on the relationship and Hayate continues to work for Nagi, or B) Flash forward a few years and Hayate and Nagi are getting married. Any other ending will leave me stunned.

That's why Hayate no Gotoku is different, from the very beginning Hayate has zero romantic interest in Nagi- Something that has been stressed over and over again. Either by Hayate's own words or by him humorously showing how oblivious he is to her feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking187 View Post
I don't know about that, he's done plenty of stuff so far that makes it seem like he cares for her more then just as a butler. Will we see them married? Perhaps not. But there are definitely feelings of love of some sort.

Oh I agree, and it can very simply be seen as brotherly love.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 15:11   Link #515
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think there's a good probability that, by the end of the manga, Hayate won't end up with anyone (in a romantic way), and whoever he may end up with in the future will be left to fan-speculation.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 15:52   Link #516
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
Please don't say that. Hayate needs an ending.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 05:36   Link #517
-Khardis-
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
The ending would most likely be like any other manga of this genre... It will *hint* at him going with a specific character, most likely Nagi, since he is her butler, but keep it vague eneough to keep everyone to be happy. Or it can go to worst case scenario, and we can get a KJ school rumble ending...
-Khardis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 12:00   Link #518
9taileddemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The forbidden hegemony
I still hope there will actually be a clear ending where we know who he ends up with.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 12:32   Link #519
KoroshiyaX
X
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Open endings are made to please everyone... as a previous poster said, it's more fun when it's open to speculation. That doesn't mean hints can't be given.

An absolute ending where he ends up with someone will piss off 3 in 4 fans who hoped he would end up with one of the four lead girls. (Nagi, Mari, Hinagiku, Athena), or 5 if you include Hamster.

It is that exact reason why School Rumble manga ended the way it did, fans liked all the pairs too evenly...

I think think of one absolute ending where fans were divided all the way up until the end, and pissed off a lot of people... and that is Ichigo 100%.

On the other hand, absolute endings like Suzuka Manga is fine since there is only one possible pair.

You can't win it all
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 14:48   Link #520
-Khardis-
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
The worst though is when they set up a good ending. Then push it alittle more and reset it on the last page. Ugh that always ticks me off. It feels like a smack in the face ><.
-Khardis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.