AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-16, 15:54   Link #8361
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Er, what?? Based on what I read in a spoiler, she's setting herself up for financial catastrophe, she acts like a total retard.
Conjuring up a network of websites with over a million daily visitors in a couple of days, all to market a doujin which will only need ~$2,000 to cover the investment...actually, I am not all that worried with regards to Nagi's financial situation. I do think it'd be somewhat empty though if Nagi doesn't manage to do anything meaningful with the manga itself...which is looking more and more likely (or rather, all but certain at this point).

lol, but to be honest, Nagi's plans this chapter actually left me impressed. Not every other person could take $2000 and actually give it some use. It's clear now that there's nothing exaggerated about Nagi's understanding of the practical value of money. If only she had a product of actual substance to back up what she's selling, too, then supporting herself would be a complete non-issue.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sora no Method 20/5 :: Shirobako 20/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 15/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5
Winter:
Yuri Kuma Arashi 24/5 :: Kancolle 24/5 :: Koufuku Graffiti 80/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 15:58   Link #8362
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 27
Nagi could make a good income on advertising or affiliate links if she's got that much traffic. Sheesh.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 16:10   Link #8363
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Er, what?? Based on what I read in a spoiler, she's setting herself up for financial catastrophe, she acts like a total retard.
... While the doujin thing may be a bust (and I'm not even sure about that...), if she can attract eyeballs that easily, how hard can it be for her to make some money off it?

OTOH, I think her math is off. Sure, she's got a million viewers. And sure, 1% of those interested actually buying the book is a conservative estimate. But I doubt a tenth of her viewers are going to be both interested in her book and at the comic market.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 16:19   Link #8364
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Nagi would make more money by putting in stealth ads and add pics of Hina to the site.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 16:27   Link #8365
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
I think you guys are missing the point here. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Hata is setting things up as a showdown between "empty mangas to be sold with great marketing effort" and "good mangas starting small". This is him speaking, through the lips of Hina, to the group of people who consider creating mangas.

The way I see it, Nagi will create a crappy manga and manage to drum up alot of interest. People will be flocking to her booth. And then, her manga will be met with horrible disappointment, leading to a disastrous result. On the other hand, Luca's manga will become an underground hit, and she'll possibly score a contract with a large publisher or something. Nagi, on the other hand, will end up with a mountain of unsold mangas and a considerable financial loss. Possibly this outcome will trigger the famous "Damn you, Luca" scene with a frustrated Nagi running in tears.

If after Hina's help, her sublime smile after reading Luca's result, and after Hayate's reaction to it, Luca comes up merely on par with Nagi, I'd be extremely surprised.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 16:31   Link #8366
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I think you guys are missing the point here. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Hata is setting things up as a showdown between "empty mangas to be sold with great marketing effort" and "good mangas starting small". This is him speaking, through the lips of Hina, to the group of people who consider creating mangas.

The way I see it, Nagi will create a crappy manga and manage to drum up alot of interest. People will be flocking to her booth. And then, her manga will be met with horrible disappointment, leading to a disastrous result. On the other hand, Luca's manga will become an underground hit, and she'll possibly score a contract with a large publisher or something. Nagi, on the other hand, will end up with a mountain of unsold mangas and a considerable financial loss. Possibly this outcome will trigger the famous "Damn you, Luca" scene with a frustrated Nagi running in tears.

If after Hina's help, her sublime smile after reading Luca's result, and after Hayate's reaction to it, Luca comes up merely on par with Nagi, I'd be extremely surprised.
a 2k loss while not good is still soemthing Nagi can afford to lsoe at this stage. And i f Nagi learns that lesson like Chiharu said, 2k would be a bargain.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:06   Link #8367
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Bargain? We're talking about the equivalent of several thousand US$. It won't ruin her, but "bargain" is something different, especially since I expect it to come along a major humiliation.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:09   Link #8368
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Bargain? We're talking about the equivalent of several thousand US$. It won't ruin her, but "bargain" is something different, especially since I expect it to come along a major humiliation.
2 grand, not several. And if does help Nagi grow up then it is bargain.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:38   Link #8369
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Closer to 3k than 2k (around 2800$). And she's no millionaire anymore. Sorry man, you have strange ideas of what a "bargain" is.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:40   Link #8370
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 29
She had 20 million yen when she sent Hayate out to get an apartment building. I can only assume Klaus didn't charge Nagi for her own mother's old house, so 200,000 yen out of 20 million is only 1% of her prior funds. Add in any rent she's been collecting, and it really isn't much of anything to her, financially speaking.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:47   Link #8371
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Apartment maintenance? Living expenses? Property taxes? Even assuming that Maria and Hayate don't get any salary at all? Folks, do you have any idea what renting out an apartment like this means? I don't think so ^_^; ... the way things are going, she's probably barely staying at her cash levels, and she's definitely not rising.

The way Hata told the story it's clear to me that the days where Nagi had unlimited funds are _over_. So this little endeavour is not going to financially cripple her, but it's gonna be painful. In fact, I'd be surprised if the financial repercussions of this would not get another explicit mention in the upcoming chapters.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 17:51   Link #8372
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 29
I don't see her being stupid enough to have exceptionally more expenses than revenues. She's clearly brilliant with finances, and wouldn't undertake a venture like this if she were going to be losing material amounts of money.

Sure, she may not have unlimited money anymore, but still clearly well off. Most people would love to have that much sitting in the bank, or being properly invested in the market. The only way I could see this having repercussions is if 98%+ of her money is held up in long-term investments that can't be removed. That or Hata decides to do a small asspull and say she spent the large majority of the money on renovations and stuff, which hadn't been mentioned before.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 18:06   Link #8373
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't see her being stupid enough to have exceptionally more expenses than revenues. She's clearly brilliant with finances, and wouldn't undertake a venture like this if she were going to be losing material amounts of money.
You seriously think so? Okay, let's wait and see then. My bet is that she won't come even CLOSE to breaking even. We'll find out next chapter, I guess. And as an extra, I bet that the financial loss of the endeavor is going to become thematized once more later.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 18:31   Link #8374
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Eh, she just needs some ads on her site and with a million viewers, she'd easily cover that.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 18:31   Link #8375
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 29
Actually, the venture I was talking about was the apartment complex, not the doujin. I agree her sales will bottom out hard on the doujin, I just don't think it'll ruin her financially. Only emotionally (for a short time before she "learns the lesson").
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 18:32   Link #8376
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Eh, she just needs some ads on her site and with a million viewers, she'd easily cover that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Actually, the venture I was talking about was the apartment complex, not the doujin. I agree her sales will bottom out hard on the doujin, I just don't think it'll ruin her financially. Only emotionally (for a short time before she "learns the lesson").
agree with both.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 17:35   Link #8377
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Wtf?! When did HnG turn into a manga about mangaka..? It looks like Hata has no idea where he is going with this.

I'm dropping this, someone please PM me when this manga is done, I'll read it then. So see guys in 10 years.
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 17:48   Link #8378
Fandal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Wtf?! When did HnG turn into a manga about mangaka..? It looks like Hata has no idea where he is going with this.

I'm dropping this, someone please PM me when this manga is done, I'll read it then. So see guys in 10 years.
I feel kind of sorry for Hata. If I remember the discussions he had correctly, some earlier chapters he put his heart in, the chapters he told his own personal story are the ones everyone went "meh".

I suppose being a good author requires you to leave what you feel passionate about and 'working' on stuff others enjoy. I bet Hata would love to spend a few chapters telling all the challenges about making a manga or anime like Hayate but the more he does that, the more "meh" the series would get.

In the end though, mass production manga is really nothing more than a consumer art product for others to purchase for their own entertainment. The story is interesting and I know Hata likes talking about parts but I'm guessing he really wants to talk more about his work that most people would find quite boring.

What would you rather read? A chapter about the difficulties on inking a storyboard or a chapter on Athena training Hina on how to improve her swordplay? Poor Hata....
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 18:48   Link #8379
LeaD36
LeaDfactor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
read the last page of 333
immediately thought of katsuragi keima
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 01:18   Link #8380
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Luca will succeed for reasons Hina already stated. Selling every copy of her manga will boost her morale more.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.