AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-09, 18:34   Link #8501
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, it really isn't. Before thinking outside the box and bringing about a revolution, you should really master the box.
Agreed. This advice is just horrid.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:39   Link #8502
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, it really isn't. Before thinking outside the box and bringing about a revolution, you should really master the box.
This. The reason why crackpots never get anywhere isn't because there's some conspiracy keeping them down. It's because you can't get anywhere without a foundation.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 20:09   Link #8503
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, it really isn't. Before thinking outside the box and bringing about a revolution, you should really master the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Agreed. This advice is just horrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
This. The reason why crackpots never get anywhere isn't because there's some conspiracy keeping them down. It's because you can't get anywhere without a foundation.
If you have the passion to keep drawing manga, by yourself, without influence for (let's say) 15 years, then by the end of that you're gonna be producing something highly polished, unique, and individual. This is just the nature of how human mastery works. A boiler pot is a better analogy. The point is not "thinking outside the box", but distilling yourself into a concentrated essence from a different space entirely.

Of course, Nagi doesn't have 15 years. And it is extremely difficult to maintain that passion. But for ambitions as great as Nagi has stated, (well, IMO) Kayura's got the right idea. On one point in particular I think Kagura is completely right (in a general sense as well): common results are what arise from common methodologies.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sora no Method 20/5 :: Shirobako 20/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 15/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5
Winter:
Yuri Kuma Arashi 24/5 :: Kancolle 24/5 :: Koufuku Graffiti 80/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 23:19   Link #8504
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I honestly don't see the big drill here. This is a shōnen manga. A common gimmick is to do impossible things, make believe, and all that stuff, not to have reality checks. Surely, there are exceptions, but that's all they are, exceptions not rules.

If the author wants to do a storyline with the/a MC writing the new grand sacred book, establishing a new religion and then subsequently becoming a saviour figure, then that character will most likely end up doing it. Seriously, shōnen manga gimmicks didn't start yesterday.

Mind you, I don't particularly like the idea of Nagi actually pulling any significant sales number when she's just barely got serious in the manga/dōjinshi business, and I don't think it really goes well with the idea of maturing, but again, this is a shōnen manga and the rules of those stories are the ones that are applied.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 04:13   Link #8505
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
If you have the passion to keep drawing manga, by yourself, without influence for (let's say) 15 years, then by the end of that you're gonna be producing something highly polished, unique, and individual. This is just the nature of how human mastery works. A boiler pot is a better analogy. The point is not "thinking outside the box", but distilling yourself into a concentrated essence from a different space entirely.
Nagi isn't isolating herself fro outside influence. She's still an avid otaku.

She isn't that persistent either. She's still easily distracted.

So, after 15 or 150 years of that regimen, all she's - still - going to produce is self-indulgent drivel directed solely at herself. It'll be as unique and individual as a fingerprint, and just as forgettable. Not to mention indistinguishable by most everyone.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 06:43   Link #8506
HasuMasu
Mrs Casey
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 音楽室
Hayate not minding the stripping was the best part.
__________________
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 11:59   Link #8507
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CO, USA
I'm just so frustrated with the current arc, and it seems like many agree here (though I only took a cursory glance). The arc has been dragging on and on for forever and Nagi is still static, and overall, the plot is just downright boring. I stopped following the series few months ago hoping the story will have moved on by now, and when I caught up to it recently, the story was till not done. The author keeps adding new characters, lengthening the arc, and the end is nowhere in sight. I can't remember the last time I saw Sakuya, Isumi, Ayumu, and other members of school. Or even the school itself. Even if they had appeared, it was so insignificant of an event that I can't remember them. I guess I'll continue reading it again after giving it a few more months.
__________________
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 16:45   Link #8508
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw Sakuya, Isumi
Then you must have a bad memory because those 2 appeared 4 chapters ago, in a chapter about finding a maid for Isumi.

Though, I'll agree both of them have been lacking focus.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 20:09   Link #8509
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CO, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Then you must have a bad memory because those 2 appeared 4 chapters ago, in a chapter about finding a maid for Isumi.

Though, I'll agree both of them have been lacking focus.
Ah, yea I recall that chapter now. You'll have to forgive me, as I barely gave more than a minute to read the recent chapters.
__________________
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 03:21   Link #8510
AnimeFangirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
I dunno, the whole "bad mangaka eventually improves a bit" thing was done much better in Doujin Work, and in a far more amusing way too. I'm itching to get back to one of the many plotlines Hata has left hanging for the past year or so.
__________________
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 06:04   Link #8511
HasuMasu
Mrs Casey
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 音楽室
*And thus, many sought refuge in the light of fanfiction...*
__________________
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 09:49   Link #8512
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
"Hayate, why are you so reliable?"

"Because I am a butler."



If only all butlers were like that
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 13:13   Link #8513
SoFarGone
H.A.M.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: somewhere on this planet
Go back to the Athena storyline please. This is boring now.
__________________
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 14:08   Link #8514
Lisemer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Wait...
Isn't supposed Saki's birthday was a lot od chapters ago when she talked with her parents about that?
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 08:57   Link #8515
Mentar
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 46
*stifles a yawn* Congrats to your coming-of-age, Saki.

Next.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 22:47   Link #8516
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 29
Another mediocre chapter. Of course, it says something about the current arc that I still find Saki's forgotten birthday far more entertaining than Nagi's endeavor
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 20:27   Link #8517
Chandalen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Another mediocre chapter. Of course, it says something about the current arc that I still find Saki's forgotten birthday far more entertaining than Nagi's endeavor
Yep pretty much.

I've probably been asking this for years now, but is it bad that I prefer the manga without the main female character? [Note: I don't mean the main female love interest]

I really hope they start wrapping up loose ends and put this poor horse down cause it's dragging it's hooves pretty bad.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 22:11   Link #8518
Hollowgolem
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas, USA
What's frustrating is that Nagi has probably the most room to grow as a character, among the female characters.

She's just not doing it, apparently. While that may be pretty true to life, when it comes to the sheltered and rich, it doesn't make for a compelling read.

Call me when this arc's over. Also, let me know if anything meaningful comes out of it, or if I can skip the whole damn thing altogether.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 13:25   Link #8519
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
It seems that Nagi can only grow when Hayate does too, because the only lasting thing she has done was crush the king's jewel to solve Hayate's dilemma.

That means we won't really see Nagi shine until Athena comes back and Hayate is pulled back into her affairs.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 14:30   Link #8520
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Another filler chapter, but it does raise an interesting question: why can Hayate see the otaku priest again? We already know Athena has supernatural powers, but does Hayate have them too?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.