AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-11-09, 23:19   Link #8521
Used Can

I honestly don't see the big drill here. This is a shōnen manga. A common gimmick is to do impossible things, make believe, and all that stuff, not to have reality checks. Surely, there are exceptions, but that's all they are, exceptions not rules.

If the author wants to do a storyline with the/a MC writing the new grand sacred book, establishing a new religion and then subsequently becoming a saviour figure, then that character will most likely end up doing it. Seriously, shōnen manga gimmicks didn't start yesterday.

Mind you, I don't particularly like the idea of Nagi actually pulling any significant sales number when she's just barely got serious in the manga/dōjinshi business, and I don't think it really goes well with the idea of maturing, but again, this is a shōnen manga and the rules of those stories are the ones that are applied.
Old 2011-11-10, 04:13   Link #8522
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
If you have the passion to keep drawing manga, by yourself, without influence for (let's say) 15 years, then by the end of that you're gonna be producing something highly polished, unique, and individual. This is just the nature of how human mastery works. A boiler pot is a better analogy. The point is not "thinking outside the box", but distilling yourself into a concentrated essence from a different space entirely.
Nagi isn't isolating herself fro outside influence. She's still an avid otaku.

She isn't that persistent either. She's still easily distracted.

So, after 15 or 150 years of that regimen, all she's - still - going to produce is self-indulgent drivel directed solely at herself. It'll be as unique and individual as a fingerprint, and just as forgettable. Not to mention indistinguishable by most everyone.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 06:43   Link #8523
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Hayate not minding the stripping was the best part.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:59   Link #8524
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I'm just so frustrated with the current arc, and it seems like many agree here (though I only took a cursory glance). The arc has been dragging on and on for forever and Nagi is still static, and overall, the plot is just downright boring. I stopped following the series few months ago hoping the story will have moved on by now, and when I caught up to it recently, the story was till not done. The author keeps adding new characters, lengthening the arc, and the end is nowhere in sight. I can't remember the last time I saw Sakuya, Isumi, Ayumu, and other members of school. Or even the school itself. Even if they had appeared, it was so insignificant of an event that I can't remember them. I guess I'll continue reading it again after giving it a few more months.
Old 2011-11-10, 16:45   Link #8525
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw Sakuya, Isumi
Then you must have a bad memory because those 2 appeared 4 chapters ago, in a chapter about finding a maid for Isumi.

Though, I'll agree both of them have been lacking focus.
Old 2011-11-10, 20:09   Link #8526
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Then you must have a bad memory because those 2 appeared 4 chapters ago, in a chapter about finding a maid for Isumi.

Though, I'll agree both of them have been lacking focus.
Ah, yea I recall that chapter now. You'll have to forgive me, as I barely gave more than a minute to read the recent chapters.
Old 2011-11-11, 03:21   Link #8527
Dorfl

I dunno, the whole "bad mangaka eventually improves a bit" thing was done much better in Doujin Work, and in a far more amusing way too. I'm itching to get back to one of the many plotlines Hata has left hanging for the past year or so.
Old 2011-11-11, 06:04   Link #8528
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

*And thus, many sought refuge in the light of fanfiction...*
Old 2011-11-16, 09:49   Link #8529
Sumeragi
Banned

"Hayate, why are you so reliable?"

"Because I am a butler."

If only all butlers were like that
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 13:13   Link #8530
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Go back to the Athena storyline please. This is boring now.
Old 2011-11-16, 14:08   Link #8531
Lisemer

Wait...
Isn't supposed Saki's birthday was a lot od chapters ago when she talked with her parents about that?
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 08:57   Link #8532
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

*stifles a yawn* Congrats to your coming-of-age, Saki.

Next.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 22:47   Link #8533
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Another mediocre chapter. Of course, it says something about the current arc that I still find Saki's forgotten birthday far more entertaining than Nagi's endeavor
Old 2011-11-19, 20:27   Link #8534
Chandalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Another mediocre chapter. Of course, it says something about the current arc that I still find Saki's forgotten birthday far more entertaining than Nagi's endeavor
Yep pretty much.

I've probably been asking this for years now, but is it bad that I prefer the manga without the main female character? [Note: I don't mean the main female love interest]

I really hope they start wrapping up loose ends and put this poor horse down cause it's dragging it's hooves pretty bad.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 22:11   Link #8535
Hollowgolem

What's frustrating is that Nagi has probably the most room to grow as a character, among the female characters.

She's just not doing it, apparently. While that may be pretty true to life, when it comes to the sheltered and rich, it doesn't make for a compelling read.

Call me when this arc's over. Also, let me know if anything meaningful comes out of it, or if I can skip the whole damn thing altogether.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 13:25   Link #8536
Shadow5YA

It seems that Nagi can only grow when Hayate does too, because the only lasting thing she has done was crush the king's jewel to solve Hayate's dilemma.

That means we won't really see Nagi shine until Athena comes back and Hayate is pulled back into her affairs.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 14:30   Link #8537
Shadow5YA

Another filler chapter, but it does raise an interesting question: why can Hayate see the otaku priest again? We already know Athena has supernatural powers, but does Hayate have them too?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 17:22   Link #8538
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

new chapter : it's nice to see another filler chapter to develop a relationship between Hayate's former master and current master.... xD.... they are similar in some way

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 17:53   Link #8539
ChronoReverse

Why does Nagi still have an "invincible black card that can buy a tank"? I thought she's been disinherited?
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 18:14   Link #8540
Lisemer

That card probably doesn't has funds
And is supposed only people that were in the Tiger's Cave can see the ghost (or that he said).
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen