AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-29, 21:52   Link #9601
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
It's actually from Chapter 268, the color preview of what was to come right after Mykonos ended. That's kinda awesome.
Coolio! That explains the coloring of the hair in the flashback -- grayscale of the color images. Thanks for finding that. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
About the apple: I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Apple of Discord also in Greek mythology. Both feature a guy all the girls want with no luck to save their lives, and both feature goddesses vying for him.
Hmmm, interesting.

I guess that means we will get a Trojan War of sorts after Hayate chooses a girl, eh? ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
In my opinion, this arc has been nothing short of fantastic and is real proof that Hata-sensei isn't just good at comedy. Ruka has literally shot up to be my favorite character in the manga.
For me, that was confirmed back in the Ah-tan/Athena flashback arc. However, for this chapter, I do appreciate that Hata-sensei didn't feel compelled to force jokes in here.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 04:06   Link #9602
cheongzewei
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Maestro View Post
Chapter 410 came true in chapter 423

Hahaha .... Nagi spilling ink on her manuscript, Looks like Nagi's fortune on the previous chapters hit the mark she really is a loser.



damn...
cheongzewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 05:52   Link #9603
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 08:09   Link #9604
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
Wouldn't it kill potential drama even worse for it to be declared canon?

Re: the fortune: I can't help but notice it only came true after she had pretty much given up. Kind of a self-fulfilling there, perhaps?

Re: apple: Looking at the dialogue/narration in that panel, I wonder if it isn't tied to some other time in Nagi's past where she tried her best and got nothing for it, or similar. Something somehow involving an apple. It still leaves the question of "why an apple", but at least it has something concrete behind it rather than being a symbol floating in the void.
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:33   Link #9605
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
I'm pretty sure he already did on the 400th chapter.

You know, the one where Nagi wants to show her manga in the manga,
but then Hayate says "but what about the competition?"
and then Nagi says "who cares, the anime already showed a bunch of stuff after that so everyone already knows what happens"?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:54   Link #9606
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
Another suggestion I've seen for the meaning of the apple: knowledge. Would connect it well with Nagi's big realisation here, I guess.
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 11:21   Link #9607
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
For me, that was confirmed back in the Ah-tan/Athena flashback arc. However, for this chapter, I do appreciate that Hata-sensei didn't feel compelled to force jokes in here.
Oh, I agree there. Just saying that this chapter was more real proof of the fact, since many people just write it off as a silly gag comedy.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 13:28   Link #9608
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
I can certainly understand your point, and indeed, Hata-sensei made an in-joke about this issue. However, I think that the drama is still here. Assuming CTMEOY is canon as believed, then all we know is as follows:
  1. Ruka remained an idol (now completed in the manga)
  2. Ruka did not marry Hayate
  3. Nagi returned to the mansion and resides there
  4. Hayate is Nagi's butler
  5. Nagi completed a good doujinshi
  6. Many of the girls still live at Yukari-chan House

Though we know the outcomes, we don't know how we arrived at those endpoints. Take Ruka remaining an idol. After CTMEOY aired, I assumed that Ruka would come to that decision to be an idol AFTER the doujinshi contest concluded. However, the manga had her come to that endpoint in a manner I never expected.

So, I don't think the drama is removed. Yes, we know the destination, but we don't know the route to get there. That's where the drama lies.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 13:43   Link #9609
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
To expand on another point, moving back to the mansion is kind of a big deal, as it implies they were able to find a new stone. When? How? Where is it now? What happens after that?

There's a lot we don't know about the conclusion of this arc, which becomes more clear with every reversal. At this point Hata is reversing expectations like every other chapter so I'm pretty darn confident he knows where he's going with all this.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 13:48   Link #9610
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
In another way, you can look at it the way you would look at a Greek tragedy. You know a specific something is going to happen, yet you still love what you are reading, because the way it gets there is well thought out and compelling.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:36   Link #9611
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Ruka is an interesting character, but I'm not quite sure what Nagi is supposed to take away from all of this.

I can say I was honestly surprised that Ruka doesn't like her job and didn't succumb to the clichéd development of suddenly liking it as her reason for continuing, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Nagi. She lost her motivation to work? Shocking.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:55   Link #9612
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
In my opinion, this arc has been nothing short of fantastic and is real proof that Hata-sensei isn't just good at comedy. Ruka has literally shot up to be my favorite character in the manga.
now watch hata reset everything back to the status quo so he and his editor can continue to milk this story for everything it is worth.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 21:15   Link #9613
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
I can say I was honestly surprised that Ruka doesn't like her job and didn't succumb to the clichéd development of suddenly liking it as her reason for continuing, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Nagi. She lost her motivation to work? Shocking.
I think we're well past the point where you can accuse Nagi of not being willing to work hard. Well, well past.

Besides that, there's a lot going on with her. She's having a crisis of confidence in herself and her own abilities and it's exacerbated by her uncertainty about Hayate at the moment. The idea that he might be in love with Ruka is bothering her a lot more then she wants to admit. She tried powering through it and saying it doesn't matter and she just has to draw non-stop when she's already sick and beat up from not sleeping and walking to the point of collapse et all but the more tired she gets the more she can't ignore it. She's attempting to draw an amazing doujin under severe stress knowing damn well she's never succeeded at making anything memorable.

Trying to blow off something that's bothering you and not being able to let it go is a real thing. Feeling inadequate and like she's never succeeded at anything is a real thing and something she's struggled with since meeting Ashibashi and realizing she didn't measure up at all. Her slamming the table near the end represents finally letting all that repressed emotion out, which is ultimately a good thing for her.

You have to keep in mind that Nagi has never had to seriously consider the possibility of someone stealing Hayate away before Ruka confronted her. She never took Hamster seriously and no one else ever took her seriously enough to let her know they were after her butler. She's torn between wanting to hang on to him or letting him go if that's what he really wants, while at the same time struggling with a deadline and difficult work she's betting everything on. She needs some emotional validation badly.

All of this is new ground for Nagi as a character. It really is. Ruka is a great character in her own right and she's providing Nagi with a type of rival she's never had to deal with before.

Besides, you're assuming that Nagi's last outburst means she's giving up, and I'm not nearly so confident of that.

Quote:
now watch hata reset everything back to the status quo so he and his editor can continue to milk this story for everything it is worth.
It's funny, because everything I've seen in the last two years or so from Hata, the manga, and the anime gives me the opposite impression. I think he's actively moving towards ending the series and it probably won't last even another five years.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-30 at 22:40.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 22:33   Link #9614
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Remember the hamster and her 40 degree fever? Magic may have to go to the hospital.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 14:29   Link #9615
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
To expand on another point, moving back to the mansion is kind of a big deal, as it implies they were able to find a new stone. When? How? Where is it now? What happens after that?
We know of at least two people of have stones, and no doubt that Mikado has more.

Quote:
There's a lot we don't know about the conclusion of this arc, which becomes more clear with every reversal. At this point Hata is reversing expectations like every other chapter so I'm pretty darn confident he knows where he's going with all this.
I am confident as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
now watch hata reset everything back to the status quo so he and his editor can continue to milk this story for everything it is worth.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Nagi will still be Nagi, but at the same time, I do think she'll be a bit more mature than she was. Look at the progress she's made since the first doujinshi contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Besides, you're assuming that Nagi's last outburst means she's giving up, and I'm not nearly so confident of that.
I don't think Nagi is giving up. The destroyed pages give Nagi a reason to start over, something she would not have done given the time problem. The question is, if she's starting over, how does she get it done?
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 14:55   Link #9616
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
It's funny, because everything I've seen in the last two years or so from Hata, the manga, and the anime gives me the opposite impression. I think he's actively moving towards ending the series and it probably won't last even another five years.
since the anime is a continuation of the manga after summer, was there anything in the anime that said this is ending soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post

I don't think Nagi is giving up. The destroyed pages give Nagi a reason to start over, something she would not have done given the time problem. The question is, if she's starting over, how does she get it done?
I will amend what i said,

Hata will reset everyone but Nagi's relationship with Hayate after the arc is over to the status quote.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 14:59   Link #9617
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
So, I don't think the drama is removed. Yes, we know the destination, but we don't know the route to get there. That's where the drama lies.
But the drama is being built up that Nagi might lose Hayate, and that it's a very real risk at this point. Except if we already know the conclusion, which is that she doesn't, then how is there any drama? It's merely a conflict of which we need resolution, but there's no drama.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 15:59   Link #9618
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Been re-reading the Athena arc lately to remind me how good Hata-sensei's drama could be. That ending always gets to me (You know the one where Hayate and Athena said they 'loved' each other).

It also makes me hate Manglobe even more now if you get what I am saying...
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 18:03   Link #9619
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I will amend what i said,

Hata will reset everyone but Nagi's relationship with Hayate after the arc is over to the status quote.
Sadly, I can see that happening as well. I'd like Hina and the others to move forward as well, but that kind of thing tends to kill comedy tropes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But the drama is being built up that Nagi might lose Hayate, and that it's a very real risk at this point. Except if we already know the conclusion, which is that she doesn't, then how is there any drama? It's merely a conflict of which we need resolution, but there's no drama.
I know what you are saying. For me, the drama comes from, "How does she NOT lose Hayate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
It also makes me hate Manglobe even more now if you get what I am saying...
I do indeed.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 19:20   Link #9620
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
since the anime is a continuation of the manga after summer, was there anything in the anime that said this is ending soon?
In the anime specifically not as such. It's just the atmosphere I get from it, not feeling like they need to constantly reset everything or keep a balance so they can keep the gags coming.

The manga is a different story. He already had Hayate flat-out say he didn't think it would be long now, (While showing Dec 24 on the calender). and there was an Omake several months back where he has Nagi say she didn't think it would even make it to 50 volumes. It's at 38 now, so that's not as long as you think.

Plus stuff he's said on his blog/twitter in the past. It's just a strong impression I get that he's working towards ending it more then worrying about how he can stretch things out.

Quote:
Sadly, I can see that happening as well. I'd like Hina and the others to move forward as well, but that kind of thing tends to kill comedy tropes.
Honestly, aside from Ruka (and Nagi obviously) I don't think there's been any progress for other characters in this arc to reset. I think we'll get something like closure for Ruka and then perhaps in the next (last?) big arc the other girls will get a chance to move forward in some way.

Quote:
But the drama is being built up that Nagi might lose Hayate, and that it's a very real risk at this point. Except if we already know the conclusion, which is that she doesn't, then how is there any drama? It's merely a conflict of which we need resolution, but there's no drama.
I know what you're saying, but it's just a preference thing I think. I'm happy to soak in the drama of the moment without fretting too much that the hero does have a rather lopsided win ratio in his favor over villains and so on.

Granted if the author gets so predictable that there's never any surprises that's a problem, but Hata keeps me on my toes so no issue there.

As for Manglobe, I don't think the Athens Arc was ever on the table with them, if only for time/budget reasons. I do have my (rather long) list of gripes but I don't really think that one was their fault specifically.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.