AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-11-23, 01:28   Link #9761
Divini
Senpai!

Damn. That last page was really sad.
Old 2013-11-23, 01:59   Link #9762
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Damn u Hayate...u should stay with only one girl!!!!!! I wish A-tan is back.....they are tied with unwavering bond!!! Iam afraid that Hayate will give the ring to Nagi cuz Nagi has the box ring...or would she be the ring bearer for Hayate n A-tan's wedding

it's too good to be true

somehow I think Hayate x A-tan has been shot down just like Hayate x Ruka
which means there's a huge possibility that A-tan and Ruka really isn't the end girl for Hayate

well, it's still too early to talk about this since finally Ruka arc is finished... Hopefully next arc isn't addition of new girl... I really hope the story will progress now

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 04:22   Link #9763
MCAL

Wow! That was quite an early release.

Yes. Regret it Hayate. Regret that you could have married an idol and see her breasts. Loved this chapter btw.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 09:23   Link #9764
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
which means there's a huge possibility that A-tan and Ruka really isn't the end girl for Hayate
I'd say the fact that Hata's constantly trying to shove Nagi in our faces in an attempt to make us love her is the proof that none of the other girls are Hayate's end girl. Seriously, if anyone thinks Nagi isn't going to "win", they haven't been paying attention.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 09:31   Link #9765
mitsuganae

N e x t . . .
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 10:21   Link #9766
madmac

Quote:
N e x t . . .
Heh. All things do come to an end, even incredibly long mega-arcs.

That said, I think there's one more chapter before it's officially done. And then probably a filler break. No point in getting too impatient for the next arc, really.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 11:26   Link #9767
zibi88

Personaly I dont want nagi to win... becouse like rukas manda showed... nagi should focus on her path right now and forget about anything else... kinda like how ruka did it right now.... she will suffer like hell im sure but she has to overcome her pain.

I would love A-tan or Hina to win (maria would be a good choice too)... hina becouse Hayate himself said that "a girl like hina wouldnt have any feelings for him"... which might point out that she might win at the end... becouse something he didnt even throught about will come to happen.... and we see that hina helps hayate a lot and they udnersand and get along well

I just want a manga end up in a way that is not predictible.... like the main male char will allways end up with the main female char no matter how many people she killed,tortured so no matter what twisted personality that girl would have compared to all angels around that person the male would end up with her anyway.... I just have a hope that this would break the boring pattern and end up in different way with different girl

A-tan had her sad past and hayate was the only light she had and she gave nagi 1time pass and said that next time she will not give up hayate that easyly.... hina had hard past too with abondoning parents and left with a dept by those parents...

sad that this is how things end with Ruka ;/ afer all those moments.... and her departure just wants me for nagi not to win this time... kinda like none of the doujishi comepetators wins hayate in the end to be fair ^^

but maybe the fanbase will be pissed off on rukas disapperance and author will be forced to bring her back ocasionally to please the fans xD
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 11:35   Link #9768
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Heh. All things do come to an end, even incredibly long mega-arcs.

That said, I think there's one more chapter before it's officially done. And then probably a filler break. No point in getting too impatient for the next arc, really.
Despite my frequent snarking, IMNSHO this has been one of the the manga's finest arcs (if one ignores the filler, whose plutonium and uranium content is enough to meet humanity's energy needs for a few hundred years).

Some transition is in order (moving back in, etc.), but Hata really should address at least some of the plot threads this arc has raised (Machina's reappearance, littler miss tenuous's memories, the secret room, Maria feeling less needed, Himegami, Hayate's brother, the nature of the final competition, Hina's secret dildo, etc.). That's a fair amount of coitus interruptus . . .
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 12:38   Link #9769
madmac

Quote:
Some transition is in order (moving back in, etc.), but Hata really should address at least some of the plot threads this arc has raised (Machina's reappearance, littler miss tenuous's memories, the secret room, Maria feeling less needed, Himegami, Hayate's brother, the nature of the final competition, Hina's secret dildo, etc.). That's a fair amount of coitus interruptus . . .
He needs to jump on that Hina subplot pronto. But yeah, he's got so many open plot threads at this point that I don't even know where he's going to start, much less find a way to begin weaving them all together. One thing at a time, I suppose.
Old 2013-11-23, 12:53   Link #9770
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'd say the fact that Hata's constantly trying to shove Nagi in our faces in an attempt to make us love her is the proof that none of the other girls are Hayate's end girl. Seriously, if anyone thinks Nagi isn't going to "win", they haven't been paying attention.
I agree, even if I don't want Nagi to win, the author had show that she will win.
Old 2013-11-24, 13:58   Link #9771
Kakurin-san
私がラッキーガールですって?

That was it for Ruka, the last few pages were quite sad. I'm a little bit puzzled by Hayate's reaction, guess though he wasn't truly in love with Ruka, she did touch his heart.

Quote:
I don't know how others see me, but these moves by Hata only increase my dislike of Nagi. Fair or not, to me it gives the impression that she just has everything fall into her laps. Yes, she has to deal with hardships occasionally, but in the end she just gets what she wants / needs. The way Hata's pushing Nagi is really annoying and I agree, Nagi's going to get Hayate. That's as clear as the blue sky and I feel bad for the others, especially A-tan and Hina.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 14:49   Link #9772
madmac

Quote:
I don't know how others see me, but these moves by Hata only increase my dislike of Nagi. Fair or not, to me it gives the impression that she just has everything fall into her laps. Yes, she has to deal with hardships occasionally, but in the end she just gets what she wants / needs. The way Hata's pushing Nagi is really annoying and I agree, Nagi's going to get Hayate. That's as clear as the blue sky and I feel bad for the others, especially A-tan and Hina.
Who's really struggling, though?

Hina's super popular, super-smart, super-pretty and super amazing at everything she does. She gets fear of heights and grade school romance fantasies to marginally balance out being the absolute best at everything and adored by the entire population of the manga and most of it's fans.

Athena is a lot like Hina except also super-rich and has amazing magical powers. Yeah she has a very sad backstory but her present circumstances are not really all that tragic and you know she'll be happy in the end.

Ruka had a lot of problems but after meeting up with Hayate and Nagi she ended up with all of it wrapped up and everything she wanted except a ring on Hayate's finger. Debt, gone. Parents, back. Career and identity issues, sorted out. Also she's a worldwide superstar with millions of adoring fans and a bright future as a manga artist when/if she decides to step out of the spotlight. Doing pretty OK.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are bad characters. It's to Hata's credit that he can take characters like the above and make them interesting and loveable. But lets not kid ourselves about their vast problems and insurmountable weaknesses.

Nagi is rich and lazy, yes, but she's also a lonely little girl who grew up without much in the way of friends or parents to teach her how to be a better person. Unlike the supporting cast of superhumans, she's actually got serious character flaws that are treated as such, no outstanding talents, (She's rich, but not really more so then Athena or a lot of other characters, smart but no more so then Hina or Athena, could maybe someday make it drawing manga but still worse then Ruka, ect.)

Meanwhile she's terrible at all kinds of other stuff and is actually physically vulnerable a lot of times that the other girls are chucking fireballs, absorbing gods and smashing robots. She has "good luck" and Hayate going for her and that's about it. Nagi's basically the human element of the manga, and I don't know how people miss that.

Out of all the girls, Nagi is the only person who would be greatly adversely affected not to have Hayate in their life. Even then, the overall shape of the manga is about her slowly becoming a better, more independent person, thanks in no small part to her butler. Being the main character doesn't invalidate her overall status as the underdog, and she has problems that are at least on par with an unfulfilled crush.

Not that I expect everyone to love Nagi or anything but have a little perspective, seriously.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-11-24 at 15:28.
Old 2013-11-25, 00:54   Link #9773
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This chapter makes me even less convinced that Ruka loves her idol career. It feels more like what she said to her parents was just lip service to tell them that she has never depended on them in life and never will, so her choice has nothing to do with them.
I agree that her choice to remain an idol had nothing to do with her parents and that she won't depend on them. That being said, I do believe Ruka does love being an idol, and that it was the fans at her last concert that caused her to truly understand this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
somehow I think Hayate x A-tan has been shot down just like Hayate x Ruka which means there's a huge possibility that A-tan and Ruka really isn't the end girl for Hayate
I don't think Athena has been shot down at all. If anything, I see Hayate ending up with his first love. By the time that comes around, Nagi will be secure enough in herself to allow both Maria and Hayate to go their own ways, should they choose to do so. That doesn't mean Nagi won't be sad, just as I'm sure Ruka was sad when she slipped away from Hayate during the fireworks show. However, I think Nagi's growth (and I think we'll see more in future) will mean she'll move on. Ditto Hina.

But that's years away most likely.

Quote:
Yeah, cause Nagi isn't the main heroine, so why should she get any face time at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
but maybe the fanbase will be pissed off on rukas disapperance and author will be forced to bring her back ocasionally to please the fans xD
I don't think there's a doubt that Ruka will get occasional cameos, if nothing else than to chat with Nagi or Chiharu. HIAPOE and CTMEOY both have Ruka cameos even though she plays little part in the stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
Well, he dropped the first hint of the doujishi arc about four years ago with the Max Coffee image, so unless he really buckles down to focus on plots, which I doubt since he's always paranoid about losing readers in Japan, who apparently are only in it for the gag humor, it will be years before we see all of this resolved.

Quote:
He needs to jump on that Hina subplot pronto. But yeah, he's got so many open plot threads at this point that I don't even know where he's going to start, much less find a way to begin weaving them all together. One thing at a time, I suppose.
I frequently reread the earlier volumes that Viz has done (I wish more folks bought them so that Viz would release more than two a year, but I digress), and he somehow manages to keep track of all of his plot threads, even when it takes years to get to them or resolve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
That was it for Ruka, the last few pages were quite sad. I'm a little bit puzzled by Hayate's reaction, guess though he wasn't truly in love with Ruka, she did touch his heart.
I think Hayate does love Ruka at some level, but after just rereading volume 22, it is Athena who's first in his heart. Nagi comes second, due to his commitment to her. After that, Ruka, Hina, and Ayumu come next, followed by whatever other girls there are.

One thing about it, Hata-sensei isn't copping out like way too many harem titles do (no doubt thanks in part to Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki starting the modern day harem genre with a harem ending). He showed that Hayate cared about Ruka, and knew that marrying the idol Ruka would not be a bad life. He had Hayate remain resolved, which I like.

Quote:
The way Hata's pushing Nagi is really annoying and I agree, Nagi's going to get Hayate. That's as clear as the blue sky and I feel bad for the others, especially A-tan and Hina.
Again, Nagi IS the lead heroine, but I guess that's just bizarre that half of the story should be hers and half should be Hayate's. Supporting characters should always get more face time than the heroine.

Quote:
Nagi is rich and lazy, yes, but she's also a lonely little girl who grew up without much in the way of friends or parents to teach her how to be a better person. Unlike the supporting cast of superhumans, she's actually got serious character flaws that are treated as such, no outstanding talents, (She's rich, but not really more so then Athena or a lot of other characters, smart but no more so then Hina or Athena, could maybe someday make it drawing manga but still worse then Ruka, ect.)
I totally agree. This really comes out more and more each time I reread the series that Viz published, then take into account plot developments that have happened since. The thing about Nagi is that she does see her flaws, and she does do things that are quite commendable. I think that's one of the things I love about her friendship with Ayumu, whom she absolutely knows is after Hayate. Despite this, although she may call Ayumu "Hamster" at times or otherwise be rude, she's also very gracious and giving, as seen by her going out of her way to give Ayumu a good time on their Golden Week overseas trip, to having Hayate take her down to Shimoda, etc.

Quote:
Not that I expect everyone to love Nagi or anything but have a little perspective, seriously.
Amen, brother! ^_^

Regarding this chapter -- I loved it and it even brings a tear to my eye every time I read it.
Old 2013-11-26, 01:51   Link #9774
zibi88

Quote:
Spoiler for ,,,:

well you should check more the perspective of athena, hina and hayates lifes first

since look how lonely was Athena's life... no parents...no friends...no one to even talk to... she was all alone in that castle.... while nagi had all stuff she wanted...had claus,maria,tama and few friends so nagi was not all alone and was just lazy as hell.... I would want a chapter where hayate disappears along with maria and nagi is forced to do her own laundry, clean the house, prepare bath for herself and do dinner all on her own

nagis only hard work was 1chapter back doing 1manga and that's it... she was drawing while all the other stuff has been done by others so yeah she is far far far away from growth

hayates life is a mess totally... not only he was poor, had devil parents that forced him to steal and do bad things only to end up beign sold by them to yakuza.... and even in those situations he started to polish his abilities... and the one that taught and helped him the most from all chars is Athena ! she is the one that was teaching him his buttler skills... she healed his body with magic... and she gave him a 1st friend he could talk, play and even kiss with to eventually fall in love with her (and if not those damn parents he would stay with her forever)

so yeah athena gave hayate the most... becouse of her doing hayate is who he is now... and awsome buttler good in skills and good in understanding the surrounding

hina too was not all awsome, strong, popular from the get go.... she was poor too abondoned by biological parents but sister took on the dept and is paying it off.... was lucky to get adopted by current parents.... and she promised to do her best and so her "hard work" and rutine made her go where she is now... she was not given it becouse of her family status but she earner it with hard work even throught her tough life

so seriously nagi just started to crack the egg shell...becouse from get go she felt safe in her mansion with no scare of beign harmed by others (she had MiB on her protection) and she could study in safe environment... and was not distracted by house work at all everything was made by others

The more the author tries to shove nagi into the face the more it makes me dislake her... and I would love the plot to focus now on Hina or athena mostly hina becouse in order to athena grow up again she needs to charge the battery... which is gained by sparks between hayate (papa) and hina (mama) XD
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 03:43   Link #9775
Kakurin-san
私がラッキーガールですって?

Quote:
You lost me there, so you say a person who can easily speak what, five languages, and consistently scores among the best in the exams without really trying has no outstanding talents? Yes, Hina tops her in the academic rankings, but Hina studies a lot more than Nagi. In fact, I would go as far as to say that she's more intelligent than Hina (remember, she is younger than Hina!), second only to Maria. She would do much better in everything (well, perhaps except for physical activities, but that is not a game breaker) if she invested more effort. Therefore I can't give her a free pass, and that isn't a problem of perspective.

Then, as zibi88 already mentioned, Hina also had a childhood without any parental support, so did Hayate (who was even exploited). Athena was all alone in the Royal Garden. And it's not like Nagi grew up without any support or friends. She had Klaus there with her, she's had Maria as a sister / mother-like figure. She's had Sakuya as another sister figure, she's had Isumi as a good friend. So why should I pity her, when other people have had it much harsher than her? Just because she fails to handle it as well?

Quote:
Nagi's basically the human element of the manga, and I don't know how people miss that.
Um, no. The human element, the normal person among all those exceptionals, is poor Ayumu. What has she going for her? She isn't rich, she isn't physically gifted, she isn't a psychic and she's - for the lack of a better word - dumb. Yet she doesn't hang her head and instead gives her full effort, even if it means a futile struggle.

Quote:
Hina's super popular, super-smart, super-pretty and super amazing at everything she does. She gets fear of heights and grade school romance fantasies to marginally balance out being the absolute best at everything and adored by the entire population of the manga and most of it's fans.
Hina's got character issues herself. These may not seem big, but they are still there. For example she's terrible at understanding and dealing with feelings of people, including her own, which lead to awkward situations. She also lacks maturity in certain areas and her hyper-competitiveness often gets the better of her. And while she's great at everything, being quite possibly the best all-around character in terms of skills, she is not top in everything. In every category there is a person who is still better than her, while not needing to work as hard as her. Physically Hayate stands above her, doing housework Maria is her superior, in terms of intelligence Maria and Nagi are better and in terms of maneuvering through the challenges of human interaction Ayumu tops her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Again, Nagi IS the lead heroine, but I guess that's just bizarre that half of the story should be hers and half should be Hayate's. Supporting characters should always get more face time than the heroine.
Where have I said that? I have no problem with her getting screen time, I have a problem with the way Hata constantly tries to get people to like her, as if he's trying to overcompensate for the popularity of Hina and A-tan among the fanbase. It's like instead of presenting her, he is waving her around an inch in front of the screen. (Then those random shipping pushes in the anime are also annoying).
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 13:12   Link #9776
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
nagis only hard work was 1chapter back doing 1manga and that's it... she was drawing while all the other stuff has been done by others so yeah she is far far far away from growth
So, Nagi working at the cafe is meaningless?

As for growth, rereading volumes 1-22 only, one can see Nagi making slow, steady progress as a character. Add in all the chapters thereafter and the growth is quite evident.

Quote:
so seriously nagi just started to crack the egg shell...becouse from get go she felt safe in her mansion with no scare of beign harmed by others (she had MiB on her protection) and she could study in safe environment... and was not distracted by house work at all everything was made by others
And why did she hole up in her mansion? Oh yeah, she was a constant target of assassination as a little kid. Even when she got older, she's still a target for kidnappers and assassins. So she used the riches she had access to in order to protect herself. It wasn't until Hayate came into her life that she began venturing out once again and find her own legs.

Still, even Nagi was smart enough to realize how her mansion shell was so tenuous. As she mentioned to Hayate while they were in Greece, she knows that her personal assets are not enough to run the mansion. Indeed, when she was forced to leave the mansion and moved into Yukari-chan House, she had to set up an income flow by getting tenants she could trust to live there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Quote:
Where have I said that? I have no problem with her getting screen time, I have a problem with the way Hata constantly tries to get people to like her, as if he's trying to overcompensate for the popularity of Hina and A-tan among the fanbase. It's like instead of presenting her, he is waving her around an inch in front of the screen. (Then those random shipping pushes in the anime are also annoying).
The thing is, when I see people saying, "Hata is forcing Nagi on us," it comes off as "I hate Nagi, I don't want to see her, and if there's a story featuring her, Hata is forcing her on us!" As the heroine, she's going to get more screen time than Hina, Athena, etc. So whenever Nagi gets more screen time, the complaints about Nagi seem to grow as if some unimportant character is being brought to the forefront for no logical reason.

I don't see Hata-sensei trying to get people to like her. In the popularity contests, Nagi is not unpopular, at least not in Japan. She may be behind Hina and Maria consistently, but she's not unpopular.

Anyway, this manga is Hayate's story as well as Nagi's story. Folks can like or dislike whom they like. I just find the hatred of Nagi to be something I can't understand.
Old 2013-11-26, 15:22   Link #9777
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The thing is, when I see people saying, "Hata is forcing Nagi on us," it comes off as "I hate Nagi, I don't want to see her, and if there's a story featuring her, Hata is forcing her on us!" As the heroine, she's going to get more screen time than Hina, Athena, etc. So whenever Nagi gets more screen time, the complaints about Nagi seem to grow as if some unimportant character is being brought to the forefront for no logical reason.
I see it as "I'm only interested in Hayate's love life, and I don't want Nagi to be involved in that". Yeah, Nagi's story isn't a romance. It's a coming of age story.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 15:47   Link #9778
Xellos-_^
Married

curious, how does the j-fandom view nagi, hina, athena and ruka.

are they ok with slap stick comedy or do they want more serious drama?
Old 2013-11-26, 16:16   Link #9779
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
curious, how does the j-fandom view nagi, hina, athena and ruka.
Hina is far and away more popular than any other character. Last character poll (I think it was the last one, anyway) she got more votes than Athena and Nagi (#2 and #3, respectively) combined.

Don't think a poll's been done since Ruka joined.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 18:36   Link #9780
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
are they ok with slap stick comedy or do they want more serious drama?
Reading what Hata-sensei says, he's always fretting whenever he goes into more serious story arcs simply because it gets away from the gag humor. I think I remember him saying (don't have the manga in front of me at the moment so I can't verify) that he kept putting off the Athena flashback arc simply because is the serious drama/plot elements in it. For other serious turns in the story, he's always begging fans to be patient with him.

Personally, I think he (or his editor) are being paranoid about losing readers over more serious chapters, but with the frequency Hata-sensei brings up the subject, a part of me does wonder if Japanese fans mostly want the frosting elements of the series (the gag humor and "which girl will end up with Hayate" element).

Quote:
Hina is far and away more popular than any other character. Last character poll (I think it was the last one, anyway) she got more votes than Athena and Nagi (#2 and #3, respectively) combined.

Don't think a poll's been done since Ruka joined.
I think Hina has been the runaway favorite in all of the polls, hasn't she? Nagi always seems to come in third.

Tags
comedy, shounen