AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2014-01-03, 11:03   Link #9861
MCAL

The better explanation for the King Jewel's ability to get into the Royal Garden only strengthens my theory that Wataru's King Jewel is going to be into play soon as he currently fits the requirements quite well. And there's a good possibility he and Hisui know each other.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... When did the Katsura's biological parents leave them? Cause Hina getting a present for her parents might have got a whole lot sadder.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-01-03 at 13:52.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 13:41   Link #9862
Subarunyon
Yui is mai waifu <3

Very good chapter, it reminds me of the old HnG. Also shows how much foresight Hata has. He's quite a good writer in this regard, almost as good as Rowling.

On the topic of manga, I hope that Crunchyroll can get their act together and get more manga, including HnG on their list. After having watched most of my current season anime on CR, I believe that this is the future of anime, and could be the future of manga too. I believe the cost of licensing a digital subscription product isn't as high as producing a book, hopefully resulting in less cancellations and faster import times.
Subarunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 15:10   Link #9863
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarunyon View Post
Very good chapter, it reminds me of the old HnG. Also shows how much foresight Hata has. He's quite a good writer in this regard, almost as good as Rowling.
Nothing here other than Mikado as Santa required any foreshadowing. Everything else is just being added now with no foreshadowing, or being put in because there was space in a character's backstory that this doesn't conflict with.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 15:23   Link #9864
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
It's also explain why Ruka no longer candidate.
Absolutely. Now that she's resolved her issues, she wouldn't be able to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
The better explanation for the King Jewel's ability to get into the Royal Garden only strengthens my theory that Wataru's King Jewel is going to be into play soon as he currently fits the requirements quite well.
I think he'd need a bit more misfortune first.

Aika is also in the mix, but I think she too would need more misfortune.

Quote:
And there's a good possibility he and Hisui know each other.
I figure Hisui knows him, Isumi, and Sakuya as well.

Quote:
EDIT: Now that I think about it... When did the Katsura's biological parents leave them? Cause Hina getting a present for her parents might have got a whole lot sadder.
Probably around the time of the flashback is what I'm thinking (or just prior).

Quote:
That's a great point. For bedtime reading, I've been going back through the Harry Potter novels (my second time reading them), and it is amazing how she dropped Sirius Black in the first novel before addressing him in the 3rd (as an example -- there are lots more).

Hata-sensei does so much of that when he drops things that don't seem to be that important when it happens, then years later, he reveals the importance of that. It is a reason I like Hata-sensei's writing so well.

While I'm thinking of it, I wonder if Mikado recognized Hayate when he showed up as Nagi's butler.

Quote:
On the topic of manga, I hope that Crunchyroll can get their act together and get more manga, including HnG on their list. After having watched most of my current season anime on CR, I believe that this is the future of anime, and could be the future of manga too. I believe the cost of licensing a digital subscription product isn't as high as producing a book, hopefully resulting in less cancellations and faster import times.
Sadly, I doubt that Viz would allow it, though they've made no attempts to publish it digitally on their own site (one of the few Viz titles without a digital publication). It would be SWEET if Crunchyroll could add it to the simulpubs and help promote the manga.

As to licensing costs, what I understand is that the profit margin on digital only is much smaller than print, which is why publishers aren't going digital-only.
Old 2014-01-03, 15:55   Link #9865
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
As to licensing costs, what I understand is that the profit margin on digital only is much smaller than print, which is why publishers aren't going digital-only.
That makes absolutely zero sense no matter how you look at it. The overhead costs are lower as you don't need to actually create a physical item, you don't have to worry about inventory costs due to not selling through your entire press run, and you don't have to pay any sort of freight charges. The only way this would be true is if the licensing fees for digital are astronomically higher than print, or they don't charge enough. Either way, they're certainly variables that are easily addressed and would in no way, shape, or form be the leading cause preventing digital distribution.
Old 2014-01-03, 20:47   Link #9866
madmac

Quote:
The better explanation for the King Jewel's ability to get into the Royal Garden only strengthens my theory that Wataru's King Jewel is going to be into play soon as he currently fits the requirements quite well. And there's a good possibility he and Hisui know each other.
The only flaw in that theory is that is requires Wataru to become an important character again.

Quote:
I think he'd need a bit more misfortune first.

Aika is also in the mix, but I think she too would need more misfortune.
Yeah, right now I don't see anyone making a good candidate to open the path. If someone does it will have to be because of developments.

Still, the only people we know about with stones right now are Wataru, Aika, Ikusa, and I suppose Nagi if they end up finding one for her. So I guess the real question is who do you see having a stone and becoming a key character in the next big arc. Honestly, I'm not sure myself yet...

Also, that leaves like five stones unaccounted for, so who knows really.

Quote:
That makes absolutely zero sense no matter how you look at it. The overhead costs are lower as you don't need to actually create a physical item, you don't have to worry about inventory costs due to not selling through your entire press run, and you don't have to pay any sort of freight charges. The only way this would be true is if the licensing fees for digital are astronomically higher than print, or they don't charge enough. Either way, they're certainly variables that are easily addressed and would in no way, shape, or form be the leading cause preventing digital distribution.
In theory they can charge whatever they want, in practice the only digital manga efforts that haven't flopped so far are subscription/ad based services. Very true that there's less overhead and the licensing is a sunk cost, though. There is the added effort in having the series up to date and translated every week, though. They're already way behind, too, so I can see the effort of pumping out 15 digital volumes just to be up to date not being worth it to them. I don't think Viz has any simulpub Shonen Sunday titles currently except that Rumiko Takashi series that went nowhere, unless I'm forgetting something.

I don't care about the practicality though, I want my simulpub! At least let Crunchyroll do it if they aren't interested in doing the work themselves. It's not like removing old volumes as they are published isn't something they've already done for existing licensed books.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 21:32   Link #9867
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Still, the only people we know about with stones right now are Wataru, Aika, Ikusa, and I suppose Nagi if they end up finding one for her. So I guess the real question is who do you see having a stone and becoming a key character in the next big arc. Honestly, I'm not sure myself yet...
Probably the character they hinted at at the end of the last arc, and who has been mentioned multiple times before: Hayate's brother Ikusa.
Old 2014-01-03, 22:32   Link #9868
MCAL

You know, considering this is the past, I wonder if Himegami will show up soon.
Old 2014-01-04, 06:45   Link #9869
madmac

Quote:
Probably the character they hinted at at the end of the last arc, and who has been mentioned multiple times before: Hayate's brother Ikusa.
Right, Ikusa will definitely prove to be an important character. Almost certainly not the next "candidate" though, which is what I was getting at. Yozora also discounted Hayate and Athena already, so it would likely have to be someone without prior knowledge of the RG.

Quote:
That would be cool. We know he's got to show up eventually and it would be an interesting teaser. Himegami is the most mysterious character in the manga at this point.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 17:52   Link #9870
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Santa is a dick. That is all.(Poor Hayate even though it was hilarious when that can defied the laws of physics to hit you over the head..)
Old 2014-01-05, 05:03   Link #9871
Kakurin-san
ねぇ、無理は禁物よ?

Oh, so the person responsible for opening the path to the Royal Garden could be Hayate? That's interesting. Also cute to see little Hina-chan and Yukiji before she became a drunkard. Seeing Ashibashi-sensei was also funny.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 07:26   Link #9872
Subarunyon
Yui is mai waifu <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Nothing here other than Mikado as Santa required any foreshadowing. Everything else is just being added now with no foreshadowing, or being put in because there was space in a character's backstory that this doesn't conflict with.
I'm referring to the whole crappy luck thing, and its connection to the jewel (which was given to him way back, not just this chapter). We've always thought Hayate is just unlucky for the sake of comedy. It just also seems to work together somehow with the background of other characters (+Ruka). I think that's pretty neat.

Simulpub on Wagatsuma and AoT have been an awesome experience on CR. To be honest I dont think the earlier chapters is that important at the moment, I just want to most current manga legally for cheap. They can backtrack to vol 15 after they get the whole thing going. Subscription model seems to be the most realistic and fun way to read legal manga, and also the closest way to simulate the experience in Japan. it's just a matter of Viz working together with CR, or to do it themselves. If cash strapped fans can basically simulpub, it can't be that hard or costly for a company to actually do the translation.
Subarunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 09:37   Link #9873
GDB

I really don't believe that Hayate being unlucky and the jewel opening the path due to despair is foreshadowing. More like Hata needed to come up with a trigger, and needed it to fit with what Hayate had available. It's possible Hata came up with said trigger back in the Greece arc, but it certainly wasn't when the manga was first coming out.

If it had been, then Nagi certainly would've had a jewel considering how many assassination attempts were made on her.
Old 2014-01-05, 20:52   Link #9874
MCAL

I'm not sure. Nagi was pretty good at hiding her true feelings and acting like all of those things didn't bother her (She is a Tsundere after all). So Mikado simply wouldn't have thought to give it to Nagi.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-01-06 at 01:21.
Old 2014-01-06, 11:18   Link #9875
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
This is what Seven Seas said about it on Twitter.

Quote:
SS: Digital-only releases, at the current time, wouldn't be a financially feasible route for us. Print sales are still ...

SS: Profit margins are much slimmer on digital releases, and you still have the cost of the license/royalties

Me: Wow. I would have thought that digital would have less costs since there's no printing involved, thus more $$$.

SS: Nope! Lots of people think this, but printing costs really aren't the bulk of it. --CC
I saw something similar from Kodansha Comics, but I can't find it at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Not sure if he'll show up, but I bet he has a stone.

Quote:
We've always thought Hayate is just unlucky for the sake of comedy. It just also seems to work together somehow with the background of other characters (+Ruka). I think that's pretty neat.
I made the mistake in the beginning of thinking everything regarding Hayate and all the other characters was just for the sake of comedy. After the Athena flashback arc, I realized that everything, including Hayate's superhuman abilities and bad luck, was all part of the plot. That's when the manga went to the next level for me.

Quote:
I really don't believe that Hayate being unlucky and the jewel opening the path due to despair is foreshadowing. More like Hata needed to come up with a trigger, and needed it to fit with what Hayate had available. It's possible Hata came up with said trigger back in the Greece arc, but it certainly wasn't when the manga was first coming out.

If it had been, then Nagi certainly would've had a jewel considering how many assassination attempts were made on her.
Ah, but Nagi never despaired. She simply became ultra cynical and holed up in her mansion in response to being under constant assassination threat, being an orphan, and having been "abandoned" by Hayate when she was a child. So Nagi was never a candidate. More on this in a bit.

Anyway, while I certainly understand what you are saying, I'm not sure I agree with you 100%. I think that giving Hayate a King's Jewel as a child is some retconning because I don't remember there being any indication of Hayate having one when he first entered the Royal Garden.

Also, during the Athena flashback arc, we see that Hayate was a butler as a kid when in fact there'd been no indication of it when he first starts as Nagi's butler. The explanation for Hayate's skills at cleaning (according to Viz at least) was his having a cleaning job as a kid. So it was a retcon to me for Hayate to have been a butler as a kid.

On the other hand, there's the despair element. Mikado's terms for giving the inheritance over was to make Nagi cry in despair, something she absolutely refused to do. Back then, like most everything else in the manga, I presumed this was just for comedy. However, in light of things now, I do wonder if the despair element was always part of the mix along with the King's Jewel.

So I think there have been some tweaks in the master plan from the manga's first start, but at some point years ago (probably prior to the Athena flashback), Hata-sensei mapped out everything.
Old 2014-01-14, 19:20   Link #9876
MCAL

Anyone know if there was supposed to be a new chapter out this week or was there no new chapter again.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:43   Link #9877
Richocet
Lover of Purity

I think there is a raw up for ch436
Old 2014-01-15, 10:14   Link #9878
AstroNerdBoy

Yes, there's a new chapter. The plot continues with Mikado Santa-san and Hayate.
Old 2014-01-16, 11:31   Link #9879
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

I take back what I said about Santa. He's still sort of a dick but he tries in his own way to be kind. Jerk with a heart of gold.(He was originally going around looking for sad people so he could crush their spirits even further. Dick move.)
Old 2014-01-16, 12:40   Link #9880
MCAL

Now that was an interesting chapter. This pretty much also confirms that one has to think they are misfortunate in order to open the door to the royal palace. Simply having misfortune thrust on them isn't enough. I wonder why Mikado gave Hayate the jewel though. Just in case?

Oh and Hayate's parents are still horrible people.

Tags
comedy, shounen