AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2014-01-15, 10:14   Link #9861
AstroNerdBoy

Yes, there's a new chapter. The plot continues with Mikado Santa-san and Hayate.
Old 2014-01-16, 11:31   Link #9862
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

I take back what I said about Santa. He's still sort of a dick but he tries in his own way to be kind. Jerk with a heart of gold.(He was originally going around looking for sad people so he could crush their spirits even further. Dick move.)
Old 2014-01-16, 12:40   Link #9863
MCAL

Now that was an interesting chapter. This pretty much also confirms that one has to think they are misfortunate in order to open the door to the royal palace. Simply having misfortune thrust on them isn't enough. I wonder why Mikado gave Hayate the jewel though. Just in case?

Oh and Hayate's parents are still horrible people.
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 12:58   Link #9864
ChampDream
Alive

Is sad seeing Hayate like that, with his parents being horrible and working in christmas, even if he try to put a smile it still sad.
Old 2014-01-16, 13:03   Link #9865
azuyuki

THIS was IMPORTANT?
Old 2014-01-16, 13:09   Link #9866
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I wonder why Mikado gave Hayate the jewel though. Just in case?
I think Hata-sensei is trying to be very careful since he initially had to retcon in that Hayate had the jewel, then he had to work that part in with Hayate's encounter with "Santa". Plus, he had to do it in such a way so that Athena didn't know of Hayate. ^_^;

That being said, it is difficult for me to see a reason, other than misfortune, as a reason for Hayate to be given the jewel. Perhaps the thought Mikado could have is that such great misfortune, combined with such evil parents, is bound to cause an emotional dam to burst at some point, which of course we know it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuyuki View Post

THIS was IMPORTANT?
Well, this is the anime (and I don't have access to the manga at present), but I learned a while back that even jokes and very casual, seemingly throw away references from Hata-sensei end up having meaning to the plot. Of course, sometimes it takes years to come to light.
Old 2014-01-16, 13:47   Link #9867
SkoolRumble4Ya

Hayate life is so sad. His parents are scumbags. I will rage if this manga doesn't end well.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 13:53   Link #9868
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Now that was an interesting chapter. This pretty much also confirms that one has to think they are misfortunate in order to open the door to the royal palace. Simply having misfortune thrust on them isn't enough. I wonder why Mikado gave Hayate the jewel though. Just in case?

Oh and Hayate's parents are still horrible people.
Hayate is misfortune incarnate, his parents are trash, his brother that isn't a douche(as far as we know) is rarely around, and all in all: his life is shitty. Mikado expecting him to use the jewel to open the gate was an incredibly safe bet. It would have been stupid not to drop one in Hayate's lap.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:21   Link #9869
madmac

Quote:
Well, this is the anime (and I don't have access to the manga at present), but I learned a while back that even jokes and very casual, seemingly throw away references from Hata-sensei end up having meaning to the plot. Of course, sometimes it takes years to come to light.
If you really need proof that Hata plans this stuff out unbelievably far in advance...

Title page for the first published volume of Hayate. Literally the first thing, even before the infamous picture with the profile of the RG/Castle.

Also, I should clarify that this has come up before. Mikado told Hayate he was Santa during the climax of the Mykonos Arc.

It's not clear if he recognized Hayate the first time he met him as Nagi's butler, but I want to think he did. Even his advice was the same, really. Stop relying on other people and find your own happiness, and here's a stone that will help you do it.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 20:02   Link #9870
MCAL

Hata-sensei really is some sort of genius. Really goes the extra mile.

Also, its very interesting to compare Hata-sensei's art style from back then to now.

EDIT: Reading the chapter again, one part that sticks out to me is that Mikado (And Athena back during her own arc as it would happen) refer to the Royal Garden as "theirs." It could be insignificant, but I thought it was something to hold onto. If I were to wager a guess, is it possible the Sanzenin and Tenousu are descendents of the original owners of the Royal Garden.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-01-16 at 20:32.
Old 2014-01-16, 22:15   Link #9871
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
If you really need proof that Hata plans this stuff out unbelievably far in advance...

Title page for the first published volume of Hayate. Literally the first thing, even before the infamous picture with the profile of the RG/Castle.
OR... since it's a flashback, he went back and looked at what he had already written and worked around that.

Not every author just ignores what they've previously written like Tite Kubo. But neither does everything written previously have to have been foreshadowing for things 10 years down the road. Seriously, the joke was that his family was so poor not even Santa would give him presents. So, expand on the joke by having him collect bottles on Christmas Eve to make money. Using that scene 10 years later does not mean the former was foreshadowing, it means the author can read what they wrote and fit it in.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 22:33   Link #9872
madmac

Quote:
Not every author just ignores what they've previously written like Tite Kubo. But neither does everything written previously have to have been foreshadowing for things 10 years down the road. Seriously, the joke was that his family was so poor not even Santa would give him presents. So, expand on the joke by having him collect bottles on Christmas Eve to make money. Using that scene 10 years later does not mean the former was foreshadowing, it means the author can read what they wrote and fit it in.
Eh, maybe. And obviously Hata plans ahead in broad strokes and fills the details in like most authors.

I don't see any reason not to take that particular image as foreshadowing though, given that it's paired up with that other image showing the RG, and the fact that Hata put out Radical Dreamers within the first year of the manga, foreshadowing where the manga would eventually be headed.

More importantly, the thing that's striking about that particular picture is that it makes the point that Hayate's encounter with Santa may not have actually been a dream.

Also, that pre-Chapter-list title image is something Hata has explicitly called out as something he uses to preview future events or flesh out things that weren't shown directly.

Volume 2, for example, shows Maria beating a much younger Nagi at chess. That particular scene isn't referenced until like Volume 18 or something when Maria gives Hayate the whole story of how she met Nagi.

Volume 3 has child Nagi and Isumi signing a marriage agreement.

Volume 4 is about little Hina and big sis Yukiji with her guitar waaay before that backstory gets explained.

Volume 5 shows Hamster giving Hayate a bento back in their school days together.

Volume 6 shows Sister Sonia as a child, praying at her dead fathers grave.

Volume 8 is the scene of Sakuya giving Wataru her admission slip.

Not all of these are spoiling future events, but they're all canon. A lot of them are memorable because they were used in the anime even though they weren't included in the actual chapters.

Volume 9 shows Mikado leading child Maria into a huge library. There's no context provided for this one yet.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. If you don't think Hata had the basic shape of the story in mind as early as the first volume, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by madmac; 2014-01-17 at 07:54.
Old 2014-01-16, 22:57   Link #9873
ices
Monadically Happy

This chapter would be something that you'd call "Do take the joke seriously" ;-)
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 01:18   Link #9874
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

poor Hayate....
how dare any adults could toy the innocent-looking unfortunate boy like him??

A-tan is angry for now but would be thankful to Mikaido soon... because of that jewel, their fate is going to change
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 14:57   Link #9875
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
I had totally forgotten that. When my review goes up tomorrow, I've got a link back to your post. ^_^

Quote:
It's not clear if he recognized Hayate the first time he met him as Nagi's butler, but I want to think he did. Even his advice was the same, really. Stop relying on other people and find your own happiness, and here's a stone that will help you do it.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if Mikado did recognize Hayate or not, but he may have.

Quote:
Hata-sensei really is some sort of genius. Really goes the extra mile.

Also, its very interesting to compare Hata-sensei's art style from back then to now.
I'm not as big a fan of the character designs today. Hina and the other girls don't look nearly as cute, IMO.

Quote:
EDIT: Reading the chapter again, one part that sticks out to me is that Mikado (And Athena back during her own arc as it would happen) refer to the Royal Garden as "theirs." It could be insignificant, but I thought it was something to hold onto. If I were to wager a guess, is it possible the Sanzenin and Tenousu are descendents of the original owners of the Royal Garden.
Hmmmm. That's actually probably very likely considering how both owned property that is linked to Midas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
OR... since it's a flashback, he went back and looked at what he had already written and worked around that.
Hata-sensei stated somewhere (I can't find it at the moment) that the tankoubon splash pages (not the chapter splash pages) are events that actually happen in the story. Indeed, several of these volume splash pages have had chapters done around them (Maria's first meeting with Nagi springs to mind).

Quote:
Also, that pre-Chapter-list title image is something Hata has explicitly called out as something he uses to preview future events or flesh out things that weren't shown directly.
Cool, so I didn't dream that up. ^_^

Quote:
Volume 9 shows Mikado leading child Maria into a huge library. There's no context provided for this one yet.
I think this one will come into play. After all, we were shown during the Athena flashback arc that she somehow knew Maria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
A-tan is angry for now but would be thankful to Mikaido soon... because of that jewel, their fate is going to change
I'm wondering how she gets to the Royal Garden, based on the conditions for gaining access that have been revealed.
Old 2014-01-18, 20:56   Link #9876
madmac

Holy Crap New Chapter.

Apparently the answer to "which plot thread are we tackling first?" is ALL OF THEM.

Also, totally called it on the Lifeguard angle.
Old 2014-01-18, 21:09   Link #9877
GDB

Interesting. A-tan called the land "Himegami's land" due to how magically charged it was.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 21:36   Link #9878
ChampDream
Alive

interesting, waiting to see how this go.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:15   Link #9879
MCAL

Now this was a very intriguing chapter.

But lol! Will Nishizawa-san's selfish body burst into flames?!

EDIT: Oh yeah. And thank you again Ruka. You continue to prove why you and your arc were like a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-01-18 at 23:37.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:19   Link #9880
ices
Monadically Happy

^ Well, looks like we must take that joke seriously
ices is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen