AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-06-01, 21:52   Link #641
JMvS
Rawrrr!

After all those messed maps, there's only one thing that is for sure:

The only thing that they care clear borders are what's in red at the middle of the map, it being Britannia or China, the surroundings bearing no consistency cartographical-wise!

From a comparison of the two R2 maps:

Britannia: okay they conquered the whole Siberia and Russia...if we consider the blue being Britannia.

China: so they have lost southern Siberia (if they ever owned it)...but to Britannia with whom they have been described to be allied with...at least it's now clear tho whom India and S-E Asia belong...but what of the Area 10 story?????

"Azadistan": (as it more or less fits the Gundam 00 country, and it's nicer than "undertermined middle eastern territory"): so at least its more or less clear that there is an independant middle eastern power (probably those defeated in Area 18), but now it's only Iran, Irak and Syria, it seems to have lost...Arabia...to EU...ok why the heck would they be in conflict...?

EU: should it be renamed AU? for apart from Caucasus most of what remains of EU seems to be Africa...well we do not have a view of western Europe, but if they already lost the whole Russia and Siberia...

Conclusion: the sciences of geography and cartography apparently had a history quite similar to nuclear physics...neglected...
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 22:05   Link #642
KrimzonStriker

What about 'Area 18' though, perhaps Britannia just hasn't established a firm hold there yet which is why its pink?
Old 2008-06-01, 22:13   Link #643
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
What about 'Area 18' though, perhaps Britannia just hasn't established a firm hold there yet which is why its pink?
Isn't that Arabia (the green area on the first map)?
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 22:14   Link #644
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Well on the first R2 map (pale green) it's quite large and either independant or Area 18, on the second (pink) it shrunk against the EU...which make no sense in both cases:

-be it all Area 18, why would the overwhelming Britannian army have lost recently gained territory against the EU?

-be it independant, why would they have lost territory against the EU who clearly do not have ressources to spare for another frontline!?

Each time I think about all of this, I reach the conclusion that the illustrators who made those maps were given only VAGUE info for the things not being the focus of the maps (aka: big red territory in the map center with neat borders).
Old 2008-06-01, 22:24   Link #645
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well on the first R2 map (pale green) it's quite large and either independant or Area 18, on the second (pink) it shrunk against the EU...which make no sense in both cases:

-be it all Area 18, why would the overwhelming Britannian army have lost recently gained territory against the EU?

-be it independant, why would they have lost territory against the EU who clearly do not have ressources to spare for another frontline!?

Each time I think about all of this, I reach the conclusion that the illustrators who made those maps were given only VAGUE info for the things not being the focus of the maps (aka: big red territory in the map center with neat borders).
Actually, the possibility Britannia might have lost territory in Area 18 in order to explain the EU's presence there could work if Britannia was overstretched from one theater and was weakened from after the initial conquest and subsequent resistance.

Plus, did we see Iran as a part of that original turquoise green for the Arabian Peninsula in the other map? It's possible it wasn't a part of Area 18 in the beginning... maybe?
Old 2008-06-01, 22:26   Link #646
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Actually, the possibility Britannia might have lost territory in Area 18 in order to explain the EU's presence there could work if Britannia was overstretched from one theater and was weakened from after the initial conquest and subsequent resistance.
I'm thinking the Black Rebellion did hit Britannia a bit hard.
Old 2008-06-02, 08:14   Link #647
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:

Plus, did we see Iran as a part of that original turquoise green for the Arabian Peninsula in the other map? It's possible it wasn't a part of Area 18 in the beginning... maybe?
Sure Britannia losing territory to EU in Area 18 is quite possible. But I wonder how much it would be strategically justified for EU to occupy Arabia in a world where oil is a less strategical resource for all we know.

In the first R2 map, Iran was part of the original turquoise green territory:

Spoiler for for big map:

But again the borders appear to be different...

The Area 18 or Azadistan has gained territory from...the Chinese Federation...be it an Area or independant, as for southern Siberia those territorial loss of the Chinese Federation do not make any sense at all!
Old 2008-06-02, 13:27   Link #648
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Sure Britannia losing territory to EU in Area 18 is quite possible. But I wonder how much it would be strategically justified for EU to occupy Arabia in a world where oil is a less strategical resource for all we know.

In the first R2 map, Iran was part of the original turquoise green territory:
Well, you have to wonder whether it would be considered an occupation or more likely a liberation considering it was only recently conquered from Britannia, which would mean less resistance and subseqent alliance with the remaining representatives from Area 18, possibly having them admitted in the E.U right afterwards as a member nation.

Possibility Iran broke away from Area 18, I mean ones Shitte and the other is Sunni, if they joined to protect themselves against expanding powers and that didn't work I can see Iran making a split to save their own skin

Don't ask me about the New Britannian/Chinese Federation border in Siberria though, I am not touching that one
Old 2008-06-02, 13:34   Link #649
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Don't ask me about the New Britannian/Chinese Federation border in Siberria though, I am not touching that one
Indeed, I am looking forward to Sunrise actually giving out a proper Code Geass world map for real. I believe the differences at the China/Russian border was due to plain sloppiness; the two borders don't look that different unless you paid attention.
Old 2008-06-02, 15:12   Link #650
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Indeed, I am looking forward to Sunrise actually giving out a proper Code Geass world map for real. I believe the differences at the China/Russian border was due to plain sloppiness; the two borders don't look that different unless you paid attention.
True true...those moving borders in Siberia, Persia and Arabia are probably the fruit of carefree drawing.

But considering the colors...do you seriously think Britannia could have conquered the whole Siberia? Even if we toss aside the matters of all the other border movements would this really be possible?

And yeah, a few revised tactical maps of the XXIth century a.t.b wouldn't hurt. Hmmm I wonder if people would buy a "Historical Atlas of Code Geass"
Old 2008-06-02, 17:51   Link #651
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
But considering the colors...do you seriously think Britannia could have conquered the whole Siberia? Even if we toss aside the matters of all the other border movements would this really be possible?
Perhaps Siberia was taken as booty for the Britannia-EU conflict?
Old 2008-06-02, 21:07   Link #652
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Dang! Looks like I gotta rework some parts of my fanfic again on that one. Geez! CG geography's so confusing.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 21:41   Link #653
jtjr26

Well if you look at that small spoiler map it looks as if both China and the EU lost all territory in Siberia and Mongolia to Britannia. If that spoiler map is correct then it looks like the Chinese Federation controls territory as far east as Kazakhstan, The Stans(for lack of a better term), India, whats historically referred to as Indochina, and Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. I always thought the the map they always show in the opening credits was the proper world map.

Also its been shown the EU and Britannia were in conflict in Europe, not in north western Asia so close to the Chinese Federations power base. I guess its all speculation till we see a proper map of the region.
jtjr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 21:44   Link #654
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjr26 View Post
and Mongolia to Britannia.
Mongolia is still definitely CF. The map from Episode 9 follows the borders from the Treaty of Nerchinsk except for the border along Kazakhstan.
Old 2008-06-08, 03:03   Link #655
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
New map.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 03:10   Link #656
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
New map.

Ah, this one seems to make more sense compared to the first one as far as the first map we got (in ep 2) goes...
Old 2008-06-08, 07:10   Link #657
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Finally a decent (albeit only local) map!

On the other hand I still wonder if the actual dynasty isn't Qing, as on this pic, the second guy on the left seem to be in Manchu ceremonial garment:

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1599c85iz9.jpg
Old 2008-06-08, 08:37   Link #658
Galerian

So:

-Siberia is still firmly in the hands of the EU, apart from the territories surrounding Vladivostok, which belong to the Chinese Federation.

-Arabia still belongs to whatever purple colored political entity holds the middle east.

As for making detailed assumptions on how the world looks based on a few maps: It is still Sunrise we are talking about. Politics has never been their strongest point and I doubt they themselves have a complete world work out. They usually make it up as they go based on what fits the need for the characters. EG: If Lulu suddenly needs more allies against Brittania (after upsetting the Chinese), suddenly the EU will be very nearby or something.
Galerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 08:42   Link #659
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galerian View Post
.-Arabia still belongs to whatever purple colored political entity holds the middle east.
Arabia should be Area 18, the newest conquered area of Britannia. The different colour might be to show that it's still not entirely under their control as such...
Old 2008-06-08, 09:34   Link #660
Galerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
The different colour might be to show that it's still not entirely under their control as such...
Sunrise doesn't do that kind of attention to details.
Galerian is offline   Reply With Quote