AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Old 2008-07-27, 09:17   Link #761
Strettger
PopulationControl Officer

I think it makes an interesting plot point that the British homeland is not obviously allighned with either faction. I suspect this is the EUs remains.
What annoys me is the shape of Germany, Russia and a few other nations that look to have evolved identicly to our own.... Germany should extend much further East since WW2 as we know it never happened....
That small enclave in western Africa puzzles me somewhat.
Strettger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 09:18   Link #762
Dream_Traveller
Banned

That's Congo...the EU must have die-hard forces there.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 09:33   Link #763
Mr.Mo

He said west Africa, which is Burkina I think. It is shaped like Burkina and it looks like the same location. I don't understand of UFN has it too lol.
Mr.Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 11:08   Link #764
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
I'm not sure if they really "conquered" some of those areas. Schneizel mentioned before that with the CF being dissolved, some of the countries might be persauded into joining them, but otherwise... Well, at any rate, it looks like the EU took a heavy beating from their war with Britannia, and as it looks now, Britannia controls almost 2/3 of the world...

Wow no one really likes Australia do they?

I wonder if they take it as an insult or as a complement?

Maybe after this war is over Australia comes into the picture and takes over.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 14:40   Link #765
JMvS
Rawrrr!

After watching the subs everything makes sense: the orange states are the remnants of the EU, that neither were conquered by Britannia nor joined (yet) the UoN.
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 11:47   Link #766
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

After almost 3/4 of the show, poor Australia still remains unloved, even New Zealand is accounted for but it's criminal for such a large strategic land to be ignored by both father and son, especially someone so strategically minded like Lulu.

There must either be some particular situation that makes bringing Australia onboard unfeasible, or you just have to wonder whether that landmass is uninhabited in the Geass world.

What's with the area around Iran being pink? Is that supposed to be Britannia's old Area 18? But if that's the case, it should be in blue like Japan instead of pink.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 12:06   Link #767
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Well, Australia was apparently never inhabited by the Brits, so...methinks it's just an arid wasteland populated by Aboriginals. It holds no strategic value in that case.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 12:24   Link #768
Taler
http://typemoon.us

The only thing that's funny is how appearantly only Japan is democratic. I guess in this AU Japan invented democracy?
Old 2008-07-28, 12:27   Link #769
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taler View Post
The only thing that's funny is how appearantly only Japan is democratic. I guess in this AU Japan invented democracy?
I think most of former EU members were democracies: as during the Revolution period all the nobility fled to north America (and remember that the japanese was somehow described as a flawed one).
Old 2008-07-28, 12:33   Link #770
Taler

I see, does anyone know how Japan becomes democratic though? Pressure from the west, China, and the east, Britannia would point to it being not a democracy. It seems to be a buffer zone between the two superpowers.
Old 2008-07-29, 00:26   Link #771
Jestersage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taler View Post
I see, does anyone know how Japan becomes democratic though? Pressure from the west, China, and the east, Britannia would point to it being not a democracy. It seems to be a buffer zone between the two superpowers.
In our history, it would be pressure from America (Commodore Perry), in order to open Japan for trade.

However, due to Sakuradaite, I think the stakes would be higher. It is not improbable that just like how the eight nation armies beat China to submission in Boxers Rebellion, it is just as probable that EU, and maybe Britannia, join together to force somekind of alternative government that is friendly to trading.

Now, this is a theory of my own: during Japan, the class structure is of follow: Samurai, Peasants, Workers, with merchants being the lowest. However, it is likely that EU would want merchants to be powerful, as this may allow them to access the Sakuradai. So perhaps they support the merchants, leading them to overthrow the Samurais and model their government after the EU, but in practice is control by the merchant's groupó which would mirror well to Kyoto house.
Jestersage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 12:28   Link #772
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestersage View Post
In our history, it would be pressure from America (Commodore Perry), in order to open Japan for trade.

However, due to Sakuradaite, I think the stakes would be higher. It is not improbable that just like how the eight nation armies beat China to submission in Boxers Rebellion, it is just as probable that EU, and maybe Britannia, join together to force somekind of alternative government that is friendly to trading.

Now, this is a theory of my own: during Japan, the class structure is of follow: Samurai, Peasants, Workers, with merchants being the lowest. However, it is likely that EU would want merchants to be powerful, as this may allow them to access the Sakuradai. So perhaps they support the merchants, leading them to overthrow the Samurais and model their government after the EU, but in practice is control by the merchant's group— which would mirror well to Kyoto house.
This Japan most likely followed the same course of development as Imperial Japan before WWII, starting with the Meiji Restoration. Though the military power of this Japan was kept in check by Britannia (and perhaps the EU and China) before its eventual annexation, so it never had a chance to expand into the naval empire afterwards.

Before becoming Area 11, Japan still kept its army unlike in our world where it had to officially "forsake" it after their surrender in WWII. (Unofficially, it's still around and is called the "Japan Self-Defense Force".) Hence the similarity in the uniform of Imperial Japan and the JLF, which is basically the remnant of the Japanese army.

The reason why Zero was successful in his rebellion so far was that he eschewed the single-minded nationalism of the JLF and accepted people of all nationalities like Laksharta and Diethard to join, and made the current United Federation of Nations a possibility.

And here's my take on the ex-Chinese Federation:

In our world, after being exposed to European weaponry, Imperial China simply imploded into civil war and unrest for decades before the current communist republic took shape. The Qing Dynasty managed to upgrade some of its infrastructure, but as its feudal system was becoming increasingly out of touch with the ever changing world, its collapse was to be expected.

In the Geass world, Imperial China managed to upgrade itself and somehow still maintained its feudal system, while also taking India and SE Asia along the way. This could suggest the Europeans, in the shape of the EU, were not as influential, being dwarfed by the might that is Britannia, thus allowing China to expand unhindered. Despite that, its out-dated and inherently corrupt feudal system was still destined to fail in an ever changing age, and it only took Lelouche to nudge it a little bit for it to collapse spectacularly.

Old 2008-07-29, 13:33   Link #773
Taler

Yes, but we're talking about democracy, which doesn't just arrive by itself peacefully. We've been giving no indication of a King, etc.

In our history, Japan was democratized because of unconditional surrender to the United States, which completely rebuilt the Japanese government. There is no democratic superpower in the Code Geass world.

Or, democracy could've been born in Japan independently. A French Revolution kind of thing in Japan? That's more than somewhat hard to imagine knowing what we know of Japanese history.

The final option we have, is as Jestersage said, the EU. Sometime in history, the EU skipped around superpower China and superpower Britannia geographically to democratise Japan. This would be really really odd from a geopolitical standpoint, and Geass Japan seems to have next to no ties with the EU culturally or diplomatically, IE in contrast to the strong alliance RL Japan has with the United States.

So to me the whole damn thing's a mystery.

@Kinny Riddle, sounds about right on the Chinese, though I lol'ed at 'communist republic'.
Old 2008-07-29, 16:27   Link #774
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Well about the actual and past setting of the CG-verse, I still think that Marco Polo had a lot of influence on it:

It was stated that he was the one who discovered that Sakuradite, a scarce but precious conpound was abundent in Japan.

Given how peoples in both Europe and China were interested in Alchemy (especially the prospect of eternal life was a recurrent dream of the Chinese Emperors), they both would have traded a lot with Japan (there was perhaps no closed Edo period).

These "Roads of Sakuradite", along with the precious ore would have also diffused technology, arts and ideas, thus probably levelling the technology gap that may have occured otherwise between China and Europe, but also propagating other things such as more progressive way of government; as Marco Polo was from Venice, and Oligarchic Republic but a Republic nonetheless.
Old 2008-08-04, 11:43   Link #775
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Since this is a thread about the "Geography", I guess this isn't off-topic, no?

This week's episode has an interesting map showing what seems to be the location of these mysterious Geass sites, or "Thought Elevator" leading to the "Sword of Akasha", including the one on Kaminejima. (Seen around 18.27-18.28 of episode 17)

There seems to be 7 sites on the map (it looks like 10, but remember the Earth is round and some locations overlap on the East and West edges), and the Emperor seems to be activating some "Ragnarok" thingy. Not surprisingly, 5 of these sites are under Britannian control, while the remaining one is interestingly in Great Britain, the original Britannian homeland

Besides Kaminejima, the other five under Britannia control are found in (from East to West): Central Siberia, Iranian Plateau, Lake Malawi, Great Britain, Newfoundland and Florida.

Old 2008-08-05, 09:36   Link #776
cf_dagger

Do anybody know why EU fallen very quickly against Britania? EU and China supposedly rival Britania in power, but half of EU (Africa AND entire Rusia) already conquered.

Maybe EU is even more fragmented than Chinesse Fed? Almost half EU European members quickly join the UFN when France, Spain, and Russia taken. The remnants of EU (Britain, Ireland, Germany, Ukraine, Scandinavians nation, and some in Africa) more likely digging and prepared a last stand against Britania, the war map in episode 17 didn't show them taking any action when UFN and the Empire battling each other.
cf_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 11:29   Link #777
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_dagger View Post
Do anybody know why EU fallen very quickly against Britania? EU and China supposedly rival Britania in power, but half of EU (Africa AND entire Rusia) already conquered.

Maybe EU is even more fragmented than Chinesse Fed? Almost half EU European members quickly join the UFN when France, Spain, and Russia taken. The remnants of EU (Britain, Ireland, Germany, Ukraine, Scandinavians nation, and some in Africa) more likely digging and prepared a last stand against Britania, the war map in episode 17 didn't show them taking any action when UFN and the Empire battling each other.
I'm guessing their army is structured similar to the Austrian-Hungarian army during WWI.

Schenzeil pointed out that the reason why Zero disbanded the UN's armies and merged them into the BK's was for the sake of convenience. It is easier to control one army than to control multiple armies with various tactics and strategies.

We see that the EEU divides its armies into its country. Italian army, french army, german army, dutch, etc.
Old 2008-08-05, 11:45   Link #778
Miraploy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_dagger View Post
I would say luck. The Chinese and the Indians made their super-mechs, Shenhu etc, and the Europeans just never got around to it. Then the Britannians out-teched them.
Miraploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:04   Link #779
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Britannia sent Schneizel after the E.U., and his strategic skills are on par with Lelouch's, and the E.U. does not have their own Zero to counter that. Its no wonder the E.U. lost.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:46   Link #780
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Britannia sent Schneizel after the E.U., and his strategic skills are on par with Lelouch's, and the E.U. does not have their own Zero to counter that. Its no wonder the E.U. lost.
Actually I believe it was stated that the EEU and Britannia were in constant warfare for quite some time up to now.

That and while they were fighting Britannia the Chinese Federation were attacking them from the other side.

So they were actually fighting two wars at the same time.