AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-07-27, 01:47   Link #121
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well... perhaps the power of GEASS has something to do with it? C.C. was around during the failed rebellion by George Washington, so there is no reason why people like V.V. and others like him couldn't have meddled in world affairs back then.
Ah yes, I'd completely forgotten about the power of the King. A fledgling Brittania in America, threatened by a victorious Napoleon. I could imagine CC approaching the Emperor then and offering him the power of Geass in return for ???? Her super secret goal or something or another. Or perhaps VV was the one siding with Britannia and CC the one one the side of those opposing the Brittania (as evidenced by her acquaintance with George Washington). Would make sense, I think, seeing how CC later made a contract with Leulouch, although this theory is mere speculation and won't hold up water even I look at it closely.

I believe also that Brittania treats its subjects differently; as in, some nations are numbered colonies, others, like India for example, could have been annexed proper judging by Villeta's status as knight and acceptance into the Pure Blood faction. Since it is an absolute monarchy (no magna carta, no effective parliament), I don't know about self-governing commonwealths that later came into being, but surely not all regions outside of present day North America are numbered regions.
Old 2007-07-29, 02:12   Link #122
WhiteWings

For all we know maybe Napoleon became the unofficial, or even unintended, leader of a united non-Britannia European government entity.
Old 2008-02-02, 13:39   Link #123
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
Doubtful. The Emporer specifically mentioned 'mob rule' as one of his criticisms of the EU, which would imply a far more democratic society than Nazi rule post Enabling Act. Perhaps the Weimar Republic was overthrown by communism, then went democratic after the collapse of the USSR? Of course a British America might have altered the way the great depression turned out completely and that's assuming the Weimar Republic ever existed (A powerful, strictly monarchist Britain and no America would likely have altered the treaty of Versailles considerably with regards to how the future German government turned out).
Time to disinter this thread, though nobody responded to this statement.
World War I happened, accoding to the last episode with the b/w scenes from the destroyed town of Ypres, the tank and C.C. jumping into a trench with German soldiers (look at the style of their helmets).

Now there are several possibilities (to me):
1. German emperor Friedrich III. didn't die because of cancer, so no Wilhelm II. on the German throne and no arms race. Very doubtful, because Wilhelm II. was one of the most important reasons for WWI, if not the most important.
2. No mutiny by the German navy soldiers during the last weeks of war, so no abdictation of Wilhelm II. and a Germany existing as a parliamentary democracy, like ist was decided by the Reichstag a few days before the mutiny. The famished German crowd forces social changes, like the extension of the welfare state founded by Bismarck with unemployment insurance, health insurance etc. Hindenburg loses the Reichspraesident-election against conservative Wilhelm Marx, and the world economic crisis doesn't lead into Nazi regime.
3. A communist Germany is the least thing I'd expect. The fear of the "red ghost" from the east was way too big, although Germany made the contract of Rapallo with the Russians in 1922. The monarchists and extremists on the right wing were superior in numbers to the communists, instead of a "red revolution" a civil war would have followed.

I assume that WW 2 also happened, but I don't have a good explanation for a little Austrian painter named Adolf's role. Maybe Germany was not devided into FRG and GDR, and Adenauer forces a partnership with the French. Or Germany becomes a republic of councils. Or it's just the same development as in our timeline - German laws codify some kind of equal wealth (at least primary care) to everyone, although realization is differing, instead of the christian democrats the social democrats win the first elections, and in th 50s they were settled much more on the left side than nowadays.

But that's all sophistry, until we know more about Russia's part in Geass history. Thanks for reading .

Last edited by Isegrim; 2008-02-02 at 18:43.
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 18:40   Link #124
KrimzonStriker

New Guy here, just wanted to insert some of my own speculations concerning the current geography of the Code Geass universe. One being that I believe Britannia still holds Egypt currently, as Cornelia mentions a conflict with the EU in El Alamain. The second is to consider whether or not India may have gained independence given Larkshata's prominence, and a mention of the country at the beginning of episode 18
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:07   Link #125
NewYinzer

Spoiler for Saving Space:

This is the only "complete" map of Britannia I've seen so far. It appears to detail the composition of the "Areas" very well. The only error is that India is an Area, and has not gained independence. I remember a mentioning of India being a separate country during one of Larkshata's speeches.

Anyway, it seems as though the world is actually remarkably the same for much of its history. Britannia appears to cover the British Empire at its maximum extent during Victoria's reign, plus America, Canada, Mexico, and Japan.
NewYinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:15   Link #126
KrimzonStriker

Except, we don't know if Birtannia was able to reclaim the British Isles after getting the boot from Napoleon, also I'd venture to guess that the EU may include Russia afterall, seeing as how I cannot in anyway see how the EU can have such an impact in Area 11 in both supporting rebellion there and possibly invading it along with China if the Do-or-Die strategy had been considered as Zero/Lelouch pointed out in Episode 18.
Old 2008-02-03, 15:18   Link #127
NewYinzer

Maybe I missed something, but when did Britannia get expelled from the British Isles by Napoleon?
NewYinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:20   Link #128
KrimzonStriker

It's an alternate Timeline, run with it man
Old 2008-02-03, 15:24   Link #129
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYinzer View Post
Maybe I missed something, but when did Britannia get expelled from the British Isles by Napoleon?
History information like this is included in the DVD booklets. I believe Celiss over at Gamefaqs did an english summary of them back around the time episodes 24 and 25 aired.
Old 2008-02-04, 08:23   Link #130
Isegrim

Yinzer, where did you find this map? I'm just curious.
If Britannia numbers the areas in the order they conquered it, they have been pretty active during the last 10 years. Is it because of this strange gates, which the emperor wants to possess?
Another point is this strange temple in the sky, where the emperor is heading quite often (according to Schneizel in one of the last episodes, "he went there again?"). V.V. and Nunnally went there too... maybe some sort of Stargate? Gateway? Cloud Ruler Temple ?
Old 2008-02-04, 09:21   Link #131
KrimzonStriker

Not really, I mean, when did they first adopt the Britannian calendar? Around the 1800's right? That would actually put us somewhere around the year 3000 wouldn't it?
Old 2008-02-04, 10:18   Link #132
Koshimizu
おやすみ、ルルーシュ。

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
I mean, when did they first adopt the Britannian calendar? Around the 1800's right? That would actually put us somewhere around the year 3000 wouldn't it?
Made the same mistake Suzaku did in his first history class.

The Holy Empire of Britannia was established in A.D.1863. The first Emperor, Ricardo van Britannia the First, set that year as a.t.b. 1813, not a.t.b. 1.
That's because he traced all the way back to the very year their ancestor gained independence from the Roman Empire to be the first year of a.t.b. calendar.
(a.t.b. stands for Ascension Throne Britannia. Or as in kanji, the Imperial Calendar.)

So, A.D.1863 = a.t.b. 1813.
Now it's a.t.b. 2018 in Code Geass universe, aka A.D.2068.

The history of the Holy Empire of Britannia is only 205 years, yet they have 98 Emperors already. Considering there are powerful ones that managed to stay on the throne for a few years, it seems that many Emperors stepped down or were assassinated in a couple of months after ascending throne. O_o

Last edited by Koshimizu; 2008-02-04 at 12:03.
Koshimizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 10:29   Link #133
KrimzonStriker

Well, it is a survival of the fittest motif in the Imperial Court, I'm not surprised that so many power struggles would have occurred, what I find surprising is how Britannia maintained itself with so many Emperors getting their tickets punched, perhaps they really do have some short of system that makes sudden overthrows the norm? I know as hell they wouldn't use the current Emperor's method, seeing how much damage Lelouch has done
Old 2008-02-04, 13:34   Link #134
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I thought that Charles was the 99th Emperor? Is there any info as to how long he has been on the throne? I would assume for a while given the ages of his oldest children.
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 06:43   Link #135
Strettger
PopulationControl Officer

Just read the whole thing, interesting....
I don't have access to the official media, but I had allways assumed that C.C was there with the American Rebellion, at least briefly before it failed. The equivalent of the great war being Napoleons Conquest of Britain - and Britains subsequent reinforcement from the colonies.

Maybe because I am British myself, but I allways hoped that Britain was the main part, Londonium as the capital
Strettger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 22:39   Link #136
KrimzonStriker

Possible and not possible, it doesn't say if they recaptured it from the revolutionary's that Napoleon helped. I would imagine.... unlikely given the EU power bloc being there. Though some equivalent of WWI did happen so I'm not sure...
Old 2008-02-07, 02:05   Link #137
Koshimizu
おやすみ、ルルーシュ。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I thought that Charles was the 99th Emperor? Is there any info as to how long he has been on the throne? I would assume for a while given the ages of his oldest children.
It's 98th. As told in Ep.6 and on his character bio on the trading cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strettger View Post
Just read the whole thing, interesting....
I don't have access to the official media, but I had allways assumed that C.C was there with the American Rebellion, at least briefly before it failed.
Yes. She calls George Washington "George" and Benjamin Franklin "Ben". And she said Ben is a kind and gentle men.
Koshimizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 11:38   Link #138
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshimizu View Post
The history of the Holy Empire of Britannia is only 205 years, yet they have 98 Emperors already. Considering there are powerful ones that managed to stay on the throne for a few years, it seems that many Emperors stepped down or were assassinated in a couple of months after ascending throne. O_o
Actually, if Ricardo didn't reset the calendar when he rose to the throne, wouldn't it be possible that he didn't reset the ruler count either? It's possible that he counted every ruler before him as Emperor/Empress and that's where the number came from.
Old 2008-02-08, 11:50   Link #139
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Well, one must try and consider the average natural lifespan of an Emperor, first...since people didn't enjoy long lives in the past...although I must concede that wealthy nobles, thanks to a better nutrition, were perhaps better off than the populace and enjoyed a longer life expectancy.

As for the political context, if the Empire entertains the secular tradition of pitting heirs against each other to single out the 'perfect' successor, then it's always possible for a couple (or more) of Emperors to die from...let's say...'suspicious causes'. Not all princes, after all, might have enough patience to wait for their father to peacefully die and let them inherit.

As for the Julius Caesar thing I seem to remember (I think it was in one of the DVD commentaries or in the prequel novel -- I'll probably have to ask it on GameFAQs if I have the time to do so) that it was possibly a lie woven by one of the Emperors, in order to embellish the deeds of his bloodline...but I can't say that for sure...I don't think I've kept the reference somewhere.

Quote:
Another point is this strange temple in the sky, where the emperor is heading quite often (according to Schneizel in one of the last episodes, "he went there again?"). V.V. and Nunnally went there too... maybe some sort of Stargate? Gateway? Cloud Ruler Temple ?
The Hall of Twilight is actually on Earth in the Britannian capital, as stated in one of the lineart pics. The sunset is perpetual and artificial (most probably holograms or painted walls) but it lead a lot of people to believe it was somewhere on Jupiter.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-02-08 at 12:02.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 13:30   Link #140
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
The Hall of Twilight is actually on Earth in the Britannian capital, as stated in one of the lineart pics. The sunset is perpetual and artificial (most probably holograms or painted walls) but it lead a lot of people to believe it was somewhere on Jupiter.
So it is on Earth. Is the slight resemblence to Stonehenge deliberate?
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote