AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Old 2009-02-01, 23:34   Link #981
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Wow, I just finished marathoning this series. Pretty awesome, but now my head's mush from the mind screw XD.

Quick question: is Shiki3 the one who fought Araya?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 00:34   Link #982
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Wow, I just finished marathoning this series. Pretty awesome, but now my head's mush from the mind screw XD.

Quick question: is Shiki3 the one who fought Araya?
Spoiler for answer:

General of the Trap Army.

Nekomimi Mode!
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 00:50   Link #983
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Spoiler for answer:
Thanks xD. I was wanting to read the novels, but apparently Baka Tsuki is down T_T.

Old 2009-02-02, 01:58   Link #984
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Thanks xD. I was wanting to read the novels, but apparently Baka Tsuki is down T_T.
You're welcome, and I see.

Nekomimi Mode!
Old 2009-02-02, 03:40   Link #985
Tiberium Wolf

Just out of topic of ep 5, what was the ED song used in ep 6 ? Is it Fairytale ?

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2009-02-02 at 03:51.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 03:40   Link #986
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Just out of topic of ep 5, what was the ED song used i ep 6 ?
I think it was Fairy Tale.

Check out !
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 07:48   Link #987
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

That was a very dense episode, Alba was quite the creepy guy.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 08:14   Link #988
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

My only problem with the fifth movie was the jumpy storytelling. However, it is overshadowed by all other qualities of this movie. It's easily quite my favorite of the series. It have everything I like about KnK, gut-wrenching gore, nicely choregraphied fights, metaphysics that give its density and substance to Nasuverse and the twist about one of the protagonists that you guessed a bit and yet it still hit you in the guts with the violence of a well-placed Fisto (Fallout 3 powerfist) uppercut.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 08:21   Link #989
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Pretty good movie and all, but the explanation that Shiki was able to come back because she/he synchronized well with the death of everyday people was bordering on being preachy.

Then again, it could be considered typical Type Moon. The action was well done, if pretty lopsided in Shiki's favor compared to most battles she's had.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 08:32   Link #990
Alaya
Counter Force

@orion and Shinndou:

I guess I misunderstood your post about "true" thing. I just feel weird when someone call one of her personality "true".

About Touko, I should use the word "original" or "first" (as the body she naturally born with). But you are right, her body(s) are real because they are perfect imitation.

As for Enjou Tomoe and Emiya Shirou, I feel that not only their look are very similar, but also their mentality. Enjou is fake, but his feeling is real. Emiya Shirou is a fake, but his ideal is real.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 08:55   Link #991
astranagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
@orion and Shinndou:

I guess I misunderstood your post about "true" thing. I just feel weird when someone call one of her personality "true".

About Touko, I should use the word "original" or "first" (as the body she naturally born with). But you are right, her body(s) are real because they are perfect imitation.

As for Enjou Tomoe and Emiya Shirou, I feel that not only their look are very similar, but also their mentality. Enjou is fake, but his feeling is real. Emiya Shirou is a fake, but his ideal is real.
What do you mean with Shirou being a fake?
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 09:44   Link #992
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
The movies just getting better and better. Long live Typemoon.
Old 2009-02-02, 11:30   Link #993
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astranagun View Post
What do you mean with Shirou being a fake?
I think he means
Spoiler:

Nekomimi Mode!
Old 2009-02-02, 12:26   Link #994
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
My only problem with the fifth movie was the jumpy storytelling.
I respectfully disagree, presenting first Tomoe's point of view and then presenting Mikiya's and Touko's to finally conclude with Shiki's fight ... it really played perfectly on the characters' and audeiences emotion while using a seemingly trivial plot.

Overall, excellent ... films like this remind me why I love anime.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 13:15   Link #995
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I respectfully disagree, presenting first Tomoe's point of view and then presenting Mikiya's and Touko's to finally conclude with Shiki's fight ... it really played perfectly on the characters' and audeiences emotion while using a seemingly trivial plot.

Overall, excellent ... films like this remind me why I love anime.
I know . Some parts really made me go 'huh?', since I'm a new fan of TYPE-MOON.

Old 2009-02-02, 13:31   Link #996
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

That has nothing to do with Type-Moon. The whole timeline of this chapter was "messed up" only in the movie IIRC.

Personally, I think the movie is challenging my usual saying "There is a fine difference between genius and foolish idea: success". And this movie is a bit too much on the fine line.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot this movie, but I must admit that the movie wasn't anything friendly if one don't pay attention to fine details etc.
While I didn't mind the transitions with Tomoe during the very first part, the later ones involving Touko and Kokutou were a bit jarring at times (some unecessary ones, such like Cornelius being surprised by Touko (II) before Touko (I) release her cat, being a deceiving loop point).

The movie quality was noticably lower than the previous ones: Tomoe's scene with his "pals" was almost "bad" in a sense: the animation was awkward, and the blood was... well, not exactly as well done as before (the eye gouged guy animations were terrible).
The zombie party was also not really convincing. Shiki was kept fluid and gorgeous, but the zombies had skipped frames and the liquids were grossly animated with quick and a easy transition (almost like cartoon to be honest). I assume this is the only possible aftermath with already 4 movies and the fact this one is very long.
(another picky point: Toukou's second puppet design is a bit... well hard to take seriously. A bit too random).
In general, the Backgrounds were as good as usual, environmental were kept as minimum, and details of the characters sakuga were a bit average.

That said, Shiki VS Araya was pretty good (dynamic camera improved the drooling factor).
Now, time for Azaka huh... well, that will be quite a slow chapter, especially with what we got recently.

Oh yes, I do have a "medium nitpick": Cornelius. Okay, I know he wasn't supposed to be a boss (heck, perhaps not even hidden/middle boss), but he was a plain sitting duck in the movie.
Normally, he would be more like F/SN Gilgamesh: powerful, but idiotically conceited and unprepared (hello usual nasuverse defeat device). It is a shame he wasn't even shown as a proper magus (I was fidgeting for some gorgeous pyromaniac fest, but... too bad ~~)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-02-02 at 13:52.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 13:46   Link #997
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, Shiki VS Araya was pretty good (dynamic camera improved the drooling factor).
Did it? I felt like it sort of ruined it. A bit too much "movement for movement's sake."

I agree on the overall drop in animation quality. The fight with the thugs in the alley just looked silly, as did the zombie fight. In the latter case, mostly because of the fact that Shiki's wearing a kimono, which restricts her legs. That's fine in general, but when she's doing roundhouse kicks and flips it just looks kind of silly. Maybe that's just me though...

I liked the idea of repetition and small details coming together at later points, but I can see how some might think it was too much. Also, the excessively long "recap" right before Shiki reappears, presumably from her perspective, felt kind of pointless to me. It seems like they were trying to explain some small details that you might've missed, but honestly I don't think anyone who missed those details would still be paying attention to the narrative at that point... Am I wrong in this assessment?

On the other hand, I really liked this movie, despite my little complaints. It felt like it could stand-alone the best out of any of the movies, probably because we finally get a "normal" perspective on things. Tomoe, despite being almost irrelevant to the plot, grounded things in a way that the other movies lacked. Of course, maybe I'm just imagining things; I mean, I did watch the other 4 movies already, and in many ways this is the least stand-alone in that its plot references the previous antagonists and the death eyes and all that without much explanation. Somehow that feels less important to me though.

Last edited by Clarste; 2009-02-02 at 19:01.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 15:58   Link #998
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Oh yes, I do have a "medium nitpick": Cornelius. Okay, I know he wasn't supposed to be a boss (heck, perhaps not even hidden/middle boss), but he was a plain sitting duck in the movie.
Normally, he would be more like F/SN Gilgamesh: powerful, but idiotically conceited and unprepared (hello usual nasuverse defeat device). It is a shame he wasn't even shown as a proper magus (I was fidgeting for some gorgeous pyromaniac fest, but... too bad ~~)
Well, if I understood it correctly, he was the one who designed the whole brain-jar + doll system, so even if he didn't do anything flashy, he still had a big affect on things as a whole.

Also: "Normally, he would be more like F/SN Gilgamesh: powerful, but idiotically conceited and unprepared (hello usual nasuverse defeat device)." Unless that is how he is characterized in the novel, there would be no reason for him to be that way in the movie. (As I haven't read chapter 5 of the novel yet, I personally cannot state whether or not that's how he was originally characterized.)

Nekomimi Mode!
Old 2009-02-02, 17:32   Link #999
NorthernFallout
/adjustglasses
*Author

Really enjoyed this episode, despite the somewhat jumping plot and explanations. Was surprised by the lenght the first time, but it only proved worth it. Fight scenes mixed with the beautiful music is pure love <3

Steam: ax/apocnuke | PSN: Northern__AX | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 18:52   Link #1000
Avisch
Reality Blender

Despite being a total Type-Moon fanboy I'm very sympathetic to Klashikari's feelings. I think the repetition was abit over used. So it was sort of hard to get into (didn't help that my computer keeps crashing)

Spoiler for differences:

Admittedly I haven't read this chapter all the way (It hasn't been fully translated).

But on the good side

Spoiler for movie 5:

Looking forward to the next one. AZAKA!

Quote:
I know . Some parts really made me go 'huh?', since I'm a new fan of TYPE-MOON.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, type moon