AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-30, 22:43   Link #721
4Tran

I just marathoned about 35 episodes of this show (counting rewatched episodes). For me, Touka Gettan is a gem of a show that's sadly unappreciated. I originally stopped watching it a few episodes in when it first aired because I didn't feel like putting in enough work to try to understand it, and I think that there's a lot of other viewers in the same boat.

While the unique airing pattern serves to distinguish Touka Gettan from other shows, it's also a barrier to making it accessible, and a lot of viewers missed out on some of its other great qualities as a result. The obvious ones are the lushness of the artwork and the lovely background musice, but there's also more subtle stuff like how well-crafted some of the character interactions are or how the plot elements hang together. After the initial hump, Touka Gettan isn't really all that confusing; instead, it's quirky, experimental, and all sorts of fun. It's just too bad that the opening portion is so off-putting.

I really don't think that it's that effective to watch the show in chronological order after you've seen it once. Not only do the revelations flow better this way, but the story is probably richer this way. It's probably natural to want to rewatch the beginning after finishing episode 26. There are just too many facts that are impossible to catch the first time so there's immense value in rewatching it.

Note to other fanservice show creators out there: watch Touka Gettan and learn how to do it properly. Having a character fall over and accidentally grope a girl isn't sexy or funny or all that interesting. When single episodes of Touka Gettan are more titillating and entertaining than entire shows like Rosario to Vampire, you should know that you're not doing it properly.

Bonus point: the best line in the show is Kaya's "It's not my fault this time."
Old 2010-01-14, 10:59   Link #722
Gilgamesh00

I marathoned all episodes at once. I belive Touka Gettan is a 5 star anime one o best animes ever.
Gilgamesh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 14:00   Link #723
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh00 View Post
I marathoned all episodes at once. I belive Touka Gettan is a 5 star anime one o best animes ever.
A question i must ask, in which order did you watch the show?
Old 2010-01-15, 11:47   Link #724
Dop
We can't stop here...

I've often thought I should re-watch the show but starting at episode 26 and working back to episode 1.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 04:38   Link #725
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I've often thought I should re-watch the show but starting at episode 26 and working back to episode 1.
I'd recommend it's worth rewatching the show that way. You see it under a complete new light, along with understanding a few parts that were left out during the first watch.

Also by doing this, you'll understand why the show works better backwards. I still say it was the best decision for the show.
Old 2010-07-29, 09:41   Link #726
Pengu

I actually thought this show to be a bit too disgusting.

Yumiko is child from an incestous relationship and then she was raped by her uncle and had a incestous uncle-niece relationship herself. Just disgusted by it all

Deep down I believe Yumiko to be a lovely lady, but she was never given a chance in this life...

Even if the rest ofd the story is kinda intriguing and beautiful, those parts above just ruined it for me.

Last edited by Pengu; 2010-07-29 at 16:28.
Pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 12:56   Link #727
Zalis

A little bump for shameless self-advertising: at a great cost of time and effort (though still not enough ::effort:: to be listed on AnimeSuki), I've managed to put together a softsubbed DVD re-release of this series. With the benefit of hindsight, I believe I've managed to fix most of the issues from the original subs. So if anyone has any thoughts on the release, or new opinions on the show itself, I'd be interested to hear them.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 13:23   Link #728
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
A little bump for shameless self-advertising: at a great cost of time and effort (though still not enough ::effort:: to be listed on AnimeSuki), I've managed to put together a softsubbed DVD re-release of this series. With the benefit of hindsight, I believe I've managed to fix most of the issues from the original subs. So if anyone has any thoughts on the release, or new opinions on the show itself, I'd be interested to hear them.
I'm always interested to rewatch one of my favourite shows, so thanks for this release. Not sure when, though i shall check the out soon as possible, and let you know.

Tags
bishoujo, deen, mystery, orbit, romance, root, supernatural