AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-01, 01:36   Link #2201
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
I really liked the ending.

It was consistent with the development of the story and the characters leading up to it. There were also a few interesting surprises - like Hei not being a contractor and absorbing Bai's power within him and his(Bai's) true power being able to change matter on the molecular level. Thus, it wasn't entirely predictable.

I really liked the scene where everybody who died talked to Hei. It was nice seeing Huang, Mao and November 11 back, trying to talk some sense into Hei. It brought some nice closure to those characters and their relationship with him.

One thing that was explained pretty well was the nature of the contractors. It seemed odd to me how contractors who were supposed to be calm and make logical decisions can stray from that norm and make decisions based on their emotions(Wei being one such example). This episode pretty much explained that contractors also evolve and they become more self-aware as a group, so it's natural for them to develop such feelings.

It's true that many questions remained unanswered, but that is typical of a Bones show. I think it's actually better this way, to keep a little bit still shrouded in mystery. As long as they explain enough to understand the show, that is good for me.

Finally, I feel like I need to say that this show had some of the best animation quality and music that I have ever seen/heard in an anime show.

Good ending! Good show!

9/10
i agree with you 100%. i also give it a 9/10
Old 2007-10-01, 01:44   Link #2202
brutalman

Quote:
There were also a few interesting surprises - like Hei not being a contractor
That and the line from Amber about Pei not liking how he was changing makes me think that Li was actually his real personality. He wasn't a contractor with great acting skills but a human who was trying really hard to be an emotionless bastard, and usually failing.
Old 2007-10-01, 02:05   Link #2203
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalman View Post
That and the line from Amber about Pei not liking how he was changing makes me think that Li was actually his real personality. He wasn't a contractor with great acting skills but a human who was trying really hard to be an emotionless bastard, and usually failing.
Actually what he said to Misaki about the person named Li not existing anymore made me thing that Li was just his undercover identity while he was working for the organization. The fact that he disappeared from the room he rented reinforces that theory.

You are right, though, that he is probably a nice guy naturally. The whole Shinigami facade was just so that he could get close to contractors for Bai's sake. When she told him he did not need to pretend anymore, he discarded the cold emotionless personality as well.
Old 2007-10-01, 02:59   Link #2204
hipeach

Quote:
Actually what he said to Misaki about the person named Li not existing anymore made me thing that Li was just his undercover identity while he was working for the organization. The fact that he disappeared from the room he rented reinforces that theory.

You are right, though, that he is probably a nice guy naturally. The whole Shinigami facade was just so that he could get close to contractors for Bai's sake. When she told him he did not need to pretend anymore, he discarded the cold emotionless personality as well.
Li is surely just a fake identity, but I think brutalman meant to say that Li's personality is Hei's true personality, as he's truly a nice and caring person. Whiter than white
Old 2007-10-01, 07:17   Link #2205
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Anyway, I like Hei and Yin as comrades/friends. Or maybe a sort of brother/sister relationship. I do not see it as romantic at all. But I do like their interaction.
Brother/sister realtionship sounds like the perfect sum up for them in my opinion. I'd like to think thats what Yin sees it as, but because of obvious reasons --- probably not.

I loved the dream sequence so much. Just perfect for Hei's final touch of character development.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:26   Link #2206
Nanami
~ stray wolf ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalman View Post
Yup, and in addition he had named his sister with her real name "Xing" as a goodbye - maybe he said "goodbye" to his chinese side too. At last his chinese name Li wasn't only facade.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:28   Link #2207
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanami View Post
Yup, and in addition he had named his sister with her real name "Xing" as a goodbye - maybe he said "goodbye" to his chinese side too. At last his chinese name Li wasn't only facade.
Well we don't know if Li was his real Chinese name. All we can guess is that he's really Chinese by his sister's name "Xing".

I would love to know all the contractors real names though, especially Amber's.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:49   Link #2208
tresor

Not exactly whiter than white, the mind is ahead of the heart

I think the Amber parts from the episode 25 were the 10/10 part of that episode, which leads me to start thinking that the episode was supposed to be about Amber, and what her role was etc. Amber was totally winning me over,
yet I didn't believe a word she said, except when she told Hei that she loved him, which she didn't and is why I know that's true (see November's words).

rambling in place of a premise, Sympathy For the Devil:
It's funny I switch to 5cm thread and I can find all sorts of criticism of the protagonist "Tohno" + its usually all personal, like Tohno is a loser, rocket boy, geek, stalker, obsessed, obviously real problems. What, like 111 pages, of this & not 1 negative thought for Hei? The closest thing I think I ever saw was from Kashima.

Mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
Spoiler:
Following the above may be more productive. + Hei's picture during that, Hei's true nature, maybe?
http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?i...p873308cm4.png

Over Heart
Quote:
Li is surely just a fake identity, but I think brutalman meant to say that Li's personality is Hei's true personality, as he's truly a nice and caring person. Whiter than white
Spoiler for Li has nothing, Grow Up Misaki:

Spoiler for Hei has it all:

I think the 5cm/sec type ending analogy fits right: I think the
following picture reveals why real ending or a definitive ending was not revealed rather than "artistic reasons."
http://www.mercola.com/images/blog/2...23.chicken.jpg

Speaking of which, is sister with her real name "Xing." I hope that there is a real answer somewhere, but Omniscient states that Xing means little star, which she really is in the story, so could be another aggravating Bones non-answer (see above picture for my opinion on non-answers).

Things revolving around Hei still have that Venice feel:
The mask
Hei's first scene killing, the contractor who gave up, in cold blood = Venice firing on the French ship that raised its white flag and surrendered right off shore to Venice = the beginning of the end for Venice as Napoleon took over Venice = Astrologer constantly stating that this is the beginning of the end = always that way in Venice with the flooding the lagoon that will swallow up Venice etc.
Hei is black death, Venice had a black death that killed 1/3 or 20% depending on the source.
Venice is the most beautiful place in the world, just ask any Venetian.
Hei always acting almost solely on emotion/"instinct," Venice's eternal weakness.
The violins during the the first closer, especially look at the live version, sound Vivaldi. The last closing song which pieced together the a bunch of previous songs to make a new song is the Vivaldi move.
Hei never taking his mask off during battle or whatever sounds like the "height" of Venice, where the Carnivale extended out to 6 months out of the 12.

Last edited by tresor; 2007-10-01 at 09:32.
Old 2007-10-01, 10:02   Link #2209
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

You're post always make me go wtf. Never makes any sense to me.
Old 2007-10-01, 11:19   Link #2210
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresor View Post
I think the Amber parts from the episode 25 were the 10/10 part of that episode, which leads me to start thinking that the episode was supposed to be about Amber, and what her role was etc. Amber was totally winning me over,
yet I didn't believe a word she said, except when she told Hei that she loved him, which she didn't and is why I know that's true (see November's words).

rambling in place of a premise, Sympathy For the Devil:
It's funny I switch to 5cm thread and I can find all sorts of criticism of the protagonist "Tohno" + its usually all personal, like Tohno is a loser, rocket boy, geek, stalker, obsessed, obviously real problems. What, like 111 pages, of this & not 1 negative thought for Hei? The closest thing I think I ever saw was from Kashima.

Mind

Following the above may be more productive. + Hei's picture during that, Hei's true nature, maybe?
http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?i...p873308cm4.png

Over Heart

I think the 5cm/sec type ending analogy fits right: I think the
following picture reveals why real ending or a definitive ending was not revealed rather than "artistic reasons."
http://www.mercola.com/images/blog/2...23.chicken.jpg

Speaking of which, is sister with her real name "Xing." I hope that there is a real answer somewhere, but Omniscient states that Xing means little star, which she really is in the story, so could be another aggravating Bones non-answer (see above picture for my opinion on non-answers).

The mask
Hei's first scene killing, the contractor who gave up, in cold blood = Venice firing on the French ship that raised its white flag and surrendered right off shore to Venice = the beginning of the end for Venice as Napoleon took over Venice = Astrologer constantly stating that this is the beginning of the end = always that way in Venice with the flooding the lagoon that will swallow up Venice etc.
Hei is black death, Venice had a black death that killed 1/3 or 20% depending on the source.
Hei always acting almost solely on emotion/"instinct," Venice's eternal weakness.
The violins during the the first closer, especially look at the live version, sound Vivaldi. The last closing song which pieced together the a bunch of previous songs to make a new song is the Vivaldi move.
Hei never taking his mask off during battle or whatever sounds like the "height" of Venice, where the Carnivale extended out to 6 months out of the 12.
What....... Sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Old 2007-10-01, 12:40   Link #2211
Kirarakim

I'd like to believe that Hei is somewhere inbetween his Li and Hei persona. Even if he might have been Li at one time, I doubt with all Hei has been through he is Li now and I believe that persona was fake. However he obviously did have real emotions the entire time and was not as cold as he would lead others to believe.
Old 2007-10-01, 12:56   Link #2212
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
Do you realize that Hei keep the meteor fragment inside him?, so, now his power is stronger, and if like the crazy scientific said, the second stage of Bai power (Hei power now) is to change the materia in atomic level and he can become a normal human in contractor...then we can think that he can also can become a contractor in normal human? if that is true, then... we could have a second season about that, and it could be great.
I also think that its not like Bai is inside him, she is dead and she use her power to become Hei into a contractor, so, the Bai inside him is in a poetic way, his memorys about her, thats why he can find her in that dream, and he can also find all the people that teach him something about him self (they all said the same things that once said when they were alive)

I will use a Nanami`s quote now.. sorry for my bad english.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:02   Link #2213
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

So the people in him were just memories of them...?
Old 2007-10-01, 13:06   Link #2214
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

I think so, not so much as memories, more like.. the "white tunel of death" you know, what people can watch before die. I guess that it was something more spiritual that sci-fi.. and i think that Amber was the only one "real" there, but if you think about it, Amber was about to die so.. they meet there. And she let him go.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:13   Link #2215
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

I took it sort of like Purgatory, except they are not being punished. Just a gathering area. If not I guess they were just in his mind.
Old 2007-10-01, 18:10   Link #2216
Tworble

Quote:
well, the only thing we know is that it's all a beginning of something BIG in the future, and it will reach true conclusion maybe hundreds years later, or maybe hundreds of hundreds years later.

Well, I hope they make a sequel where the BIG thing actually happens a few years later with Hei being some important factor in it
Here's hoping it's hundreds of EPISODES in the future. (ala Bleach)
Old 2007-10-01, 19:08   Link #2217
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresor

The mask
AHAHAHA Venice. That's so random. *ahem* Tresor rocks.

Anyway, Hei saying that Li doesn't exist anymore most likely meant that he was done with the organization---which he was. Afterall, he only got the codename 'Li-kun' because he had to work undercover. Besides, I really don't think Hei was faking it when he was on that date with Misaki. He really has Li's personality on the inside.

Like someone here said, he's more like in the middle of Hei and Li. Hei is his contractor side, Li is his human side. :|

Spoiler for Li/Hei:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with a chibi-C.C. is there!
I'm suspecting DTB had their script stolen as a payback for stealing C.C's character design. You know, what goes around, comes around.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:22   Link #2218
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Jejeje, it was a payback from the universal karma.
And, i have doubs about the last scene, i think tha Misaki didnt watch Li, i think that she imagine him. At least i hope that Li-kun can burn that ugly green jacket and get something sexier jejejeje
Old 2007-10-01, 20:12   Link #2219
Xallium

The last episode kinda reminded me of Evangelion

Spoiler for evangelion and DTB:

it could be just me though.
Old 2007-10-01, 22:12   Link #2220
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well DTB is over and while it was a fun and dark ride at times I couldn't help but be a bit underwhelmed by it's conclusion...Unsatisfied is more like it... It was a bit much to take in and kinda felt rushed...I read one poster say this episode was consistent with the rest of the series, but I found the final ep to be somewhat inconsistent with the overall attitude of the series on whole...Some of the Proxy-ish dream sequences seemed to be out of another anime all together, and it was self-indulgent to some extent as it really came out of left field to me...

Overall I just didn't feel the sense of closure nor of complete satisfaction with the last ep and honestly some of it felt really random to me...Fortunatley//Unfortunatley I will have to classify DTB in the same category as something like Ergo Proxy for it's lack of cohesion and tangible accomplishment, but with that said I feel like I still got so much out of this series...While some of you couldn't wait to watch an ep to see your fav couple-pairing, I couldn't wait to watch an ep to see what music score Yoko was gonna sync with a fight scene, car-chase, or an intense conversation...Or what visual gem the ep would feature that week...

In Final I'm gonna give DTB a 7.35 outta 10....Based on the first 2 eps I thought it might become an all-time fav, but the show kinda lost focus (especially with that goofy detective subplot) and didn't know what it really wanted to achieve as a series...DTB's problem was that it didn't know if it wanted to be a hard-core action thriller, a psychological thriller, a light-dark "slice-of-life" type, or a smart, thinking-man's show...So consequently it doesn't do any of these things up to it's full capabilities; to the max as it were (I'd say GITSSAC is an example of something that did a lot of different things but did it well IMO)...It leaves the cup only half-full in every category in an attempt to give you many flavorful sips from many different cups....But unlike most shows that would gain my ire for this, DTB was so good in animation production-quality and musical score, I am able to really enjoy and love certain eps despite the flaws...But there were flaws and I think this series could have been much better if it had followed the path set by it's first two episodes...Nevertheless I still got something good out of it...

I encourage debate if you disagree...

BTW why did Mr. November have no importance in the end? T_T

Tags
action, supernatural