AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-16, 06:07   Link #401
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
It's not really "magic" or other weird powers, Bahamut. Your theory does make sense but at the same I think that

Spoiler:
Spoiler for why are we talking in spoiler tags?:
Isn't the general rule of thumb here that anything currently fansubbed no longer requires spoiler tags?
Old 2007-04-16, 07:22   Link #402
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

Those powers are cool, and the plot was good (a few mad twists) but the characters are flat. Oh well, two out of three ain't bad. Some of those powers are really awesome though. They're nice and diverse (and inventive) without being overly imba, so they can push the boundaries and make the action scenes really interesting if they wanted. I'm a little more optimistic about this title, and the fact that they keep the main character (and his organization) separate from the cop team means it'll go down a path not frequently traveled (and stay away from emitting any Witch Hunter Robin vibes). Should be good, but I still fear lack of characterization will keep it from being great.
Old 2007-04-16, 07:25   Link #403
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
I didn't mean to dismiss your theory, which is valid. I was responding to Jazzrat, who was openly wondering about it even though there had already been discussion of it.
sorry but speculation doesn't constitute factual answer. Vocal command is more likely the case after watching it again cause her pupils went from doll mode back to normal mode after she recovers.
Old 2007-04-16, 07:35   Link #404
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89
Isn't the general rule of thumb here that anything currently fansubbed no longer requires spoiler tags?
Yep! Though its always nice to see people can use spoiler tags Nothing worse then getting spoiled >.> Though one reason I find the tags can get used is sometimes people don't know that the subbed is out cause they only watched the Raw. Onto the show...

I watched two episodes and I'm really liking it more then I thought I would, Hei is such a interesting character xD as is the same with the rest of his team, though.. that is a bit of a worry of mine is that Huang, Yin and Mao might not get that much screen time or might just be restricted to be there to help Hei. Not sure about Yin or Huang but there is alot more the could show on Mao from reading his character description on the front page.

The opening was alright, the music isn't all that original.. but its got good replay value plus the visuals are done quite well. Nice ending song with animation that goes with it. I'm liking the background music, its been placed really well into the show. Not overplayed and just the right amount. The animation has been pretty good nothing that special but the art on the other hand looks Great!

Easily the best show this season and the only one I think I'll end up following and maybe... Seirei no Moribito depending on where the story goes..
Old 2007-04-16, 08:39   Link #405
7Th
Mixtape

I thought the storyline from this introduction was pretty clear besides the usual yet very well integrated mysterious expository scenes:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-16, 11:37   Link #406
Diskgaiaer
OMG! >_<

Has anyone the lyrics for the insert song in the second episode?
Old 2007-04-16, 11:44   Link #407
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I was wondering if this was an anime movie, because the quality of the first episode was akin to one ... damn, BONES is awesome.

I have a question regarding one of the subgroups, though: what does sudo encode in? Do they encode in H.264? My PC can play even 1280x720, although it just lags a lot at that quality. I just stick to XviD as I can't upgrade my PC right now (and I don't have the money to) . I have no problems with their subbing or encoding whatsoever, I was just wondering why the playing stuttered a lot. I guess I'll be downloading Mishicorp's version next.

But if someone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful.
Old 2007-04-16, 12:17   Link #408
Clarste
Human

Ah... nevermind. No point in going off-topic.
Old 2007-04-16, 14:10   Link #409
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I was wondering if this was an anime movie, because the quality of the first episode was akin to one ... damn, BONES is awesome.

I have a question regarding one of the subgroups, though: what does sudo encode in? Do they encode in H.264? My PC can play even 1280x720, although it just lags a lot at that quality. I just stick to XviD as I can't upgrade my PC right now (and I don't have the money to) . I have no problems with their subbing or encoding whatsoever, I was just wondering why the playing stuttered a lot. I guess I'll be downloading Mishicorp's version next.

But if someone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful.
Before Shinsen released their fansub (in both a regular resolution and HD 1280x720 version) I downloaded Sudo's and it was also in 1280x720, and Mishicorp's mp4 version was too), so there are atleast three choices for DtB in HD to pick from depending upon which group you like. Since they release in both, I'll add that as usual from most groups Shinsen's HD version is the .mkv file (in case you download it from somewhere that doesn't include the res in the filename), while their .avi file is the regular res version and might be better if your PC lags on the high res file (The same is probably true for Mishicorp's avi version but I never downloaded it since I tried their mp4).

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-16 at 14:24.
Old 2007-04-16, 14:56   Link #410
Joojoobees

First, I'm putting these in spoilers because it isn't clear that Hei's power has been definitively explained in a broadcast episode.

Spoiler for Smooth Talker:

Spoiler for Electrifying personality:

Anyways, good episode. I really liked seeing Mao. Hei continues to be a very mysterious figure (with what I think was called sociopathic tendencies earlier in this thread).

BTW, I don't think Hei knew Chiaki was a doll when he was first shot. I think he was trying to protect her.
Old 2007-04-16, 15:01   Link #411
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I don't think he thought she was just a doll even AFTER it was all over. If she were a true doll, she wouldn't have been able to do what she did at the end...
Old 2007-04-16, 15:10   Link #412
IMSabbel

But her reaction doesnt make sense at all.
Why protect the killer of her partner?
Just because he acted nice for a while, to get "the goods" from her?
Damn, i hate shows where i have to root for the antagonists....
Old 2007-04-16, 15:10   Link #413
chupacabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
BTW, I don't think Hei knew Chiaki was a doll when he was first shot. I think he was trying to protect her.
Since she became a "corpe" in the restaurant he knew she was a doll
Old 2007-04-16, 15:15   Link #414
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
He knew as he even used a trigger to make her faint in the middle of the street before his encounter with the 3 French contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
I don't think he thought she was just a doll even AFTER it was all over. If she were a true doll, she wouldn't have been able to do what she did at the end...
I think the "dolls" concept in DtB is represented in a fashion similar to that in GitS, with robots developing their own consciousnesses and even a "soul/ghost".
Old 2007-04-16, 15:19   Link #415
ssfsx17

I'm pretty sure that Hei already got some "goods" from Chiaki in his apartment room. =P
Old 2007-04-16, 15:33   Link #416
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
He knew as he even used a trigger to make her faint in the middle of the street before his encounter with the 3 French contractors.

I think the "dolls" concept in DtB is represented in a fashion similar to that in GitS, with robots developing their own consciousnesses and even a "soul/ghost".
That was my thought as well and I think it made the opening storyline even more fascinating as the concept is great, with her original human personality taking over and acting against her programming like that and Hei's reaction to it and his previous interactions with her calling her alive and not just merely a doll as Huang believes made the ending much more powerful.
Old 2007-04-16, 15:41   Link #417
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
That was my thought as well and I think it made the opening storyline even more fascinating as the concept is great, with her acting against her programming like that and Hei's reaction to it calling her alive and not just merely a doll as Huang believes made the ending much more powerful.
I liked that as well, I am sucker for those kind of story-lines and I didn't thought DtB was going to get cyberpunk in the end.

This was pretty much the main source for my disappointment in SAC when compared to the manga and Oshii's movies, they were more about politics than about the philosophy of the "ghost", the humanity of cyborgs and the evolution of AI.
Old 2007-04-16, 19:45   Link #418
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabra View Post
Since she became a "corpe" in the restaurant he knew she was a doll
IF Hei knew, he did not share it with the rest of his team, because Huang expresses surprise that she was a doll after Jean reveals it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
It has been suggested here that he did not use a verbal trigger, but rather the ability he gained as a contractor.
Old 2007-04-16, 21:57   Link #419
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
It has been suggested here that he did not use a verbal trigger, but rather the ability he gained as a contractor.
Well, he may have gave her an small electric shock so that could make sense after all. I still find it pretty impossible for him to had ignored Chiaki's condition as a doll he knew it and even protected her after that due to his belief of "dolls" being worthy of the denominative human.
Old 2007-04-16, 22:25   Link #420
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Finally watched episode two, and kudos to Shinsen for their awesome HD releases. Nice, nice, really nice, I'm loving this title, excellent direction and animation, dark storyline, long-lost GitS concepts (yeah, I'm a GitS fanboy ), shady characters, Kanno-sama's excellent music... this title has it all to become the great winner of the season.

Quote:
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought about it, and I was even thinking so before the whole incident. You know, my mind starts going crazy once they mention cyborgs . Still, I find it lacks an element that's still to be revealed, and that is how exactly are cyborgs created. The whole concept of the ghost acquisition of a cyborg in GitS was derived from how the cyborg was created and how did the "ghost" act as data. I guess this will be revealed in the future, when we learn how Contractors are created in the first place, and then, how Dolls come to be. In fact, the specific role of the Doll wasn't mentioned yet, the only line that was said (and repeated several times) was that Dolls are a "passive medium"... but we don't know for what purpose. Maybe for the keeping of "goods", whatever that term could mean.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural