AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-20, 22:14   Link #121
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
*snorts*

You have just described every single anime in existence.
Well, if even Shin-Chan gets to become dramatic at times...
Old 2007-03-21, 12:09   Link #122
wao
OK.

Argh, I was going to scan in the spread in this month's Animedia, but I ran out of time again. Anyway, I might as well say it - the name of the girl who looks like C.C. + Anemone + whatever, it's Amber. The mag is somewhere else so I can't remember word for word, but Hei's been trying his whole life to track her down, apparently. He even joined The Organisation for this purpose. Also, if I remember correctly, there's the you-knew-it-was-coming "everything started 10 years ago" bit as well.

Oh cool, do we get to see chibi Hei? You know I can't think of anything better to say .

If this has already been mentioned then I am evidently going blind.

The scan isn't particularly stunningly nice (out of all three spreads in the mags this time around, I think Newtype's was the best by far). That might have more to do with my opinion of Animedia being the worst out of the 3 major mags both in terms of approach, design/style and writing...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the latest TV spot has gone on air. So far I think the spots have largely shown footage that can all be found in the 3 minute trailer, but you hear different music!
Old 2007-03-21, 23:13   Link #123
DangerMouse

Thanks for the update on Amber and the other bits wao
Old 2007-03-22, 01:26   Link #124
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hope Amber's not a villainess. She looks like she may have her act together.
Old 2007-03-23, 10:15   Link #125
wao
OK.

Cast interview...

Not like anything of much importance is actually said in it, but for the heck of it. Like I said, it's kinda cute how Mizuki and Fukuen are gaga over Hei.

The original is here: http://hobby-channel.net/content/view/2411/67/

I literally fell asleep at the end of it, so pardon me if it becomes totally undecipherable near the end...

Spoiler:

And Animedia scan:

So now I have pics of scans from all three mags out this month - except Newtype Romance Spring. That had a rather nice image with Yin looking extremely doll-like and Hei holding her, but unfortunately I missed buying the last one at Kinokuniya .

The latest TV spot has just got the OP again, nothing much in the way of new pictures. I do like the last still at the end of it, though - you can see a good version of that at BONES' production blog for this show here. Is that Hei looking through a telescope! *giggles stupidly*

Which reminds me, I might as well mention I was thinking about this:

-The Animedia spread mentions something about everything starting 10 years ago.
-The beginning of the trailer has a young girl (young Misaki?) talking about the stars
-We have Hei looking at a telescope and him against the same sort of star-filled night sky.
-Hell's Gate is described as having "stolen" the sky of Tokyo.

I expect some sort of dramatic tension along those lines. Eh, I don't know why I'm spoiling myself so much by thinking so much about what'll prolly be an average animu, but there it is.
Old 2007-03-23, 12:30   Link #126
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Hope Amber's not a villainess.
Yeah, I think that would be good too.
Old 2007-03-27, 08:37   Link #127
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This one needs to hurry up and air so i can hear more Yoko Kanno goodness (of course, i'm not going to be watching it just for that :3).
Old 2007-03-27, 14:29   Link #128
wao
OK.

Well, how do you like that, if you look in the right places you can hear the full version of the OP in reasonable quality. I'm surprised that they included these lines in the prelude to the song itself (and the prelude is pretty damn cool, I must say - very fitting to this show).

This is what it says:

A night sky full of cries
Hearts filled with lies
The contract:
Is it worth the price -
A soul pledged to the darkness (?)
Now I've lost it
I know I can kill
(something I can't make out)

And in a sort of British accent too, I think!Obviously it's talking about Hei/the contractors. But doesn't this mean they sort of made the OP with the anime in mind? Of course it's possible they just threw it in later on, but still, pretty cool how it ties into the anime nicely and isn't just a featured-artist sort of thing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you can listen to a sample of the ED here: http://www.barks.jp/listen/?id=1000017782 until the 24th of April.
I actually like it a lot more than the previous anime songs I've heard from Rie fu! Definitely a lot better than Life is like a Boat, IMO anyway.

For all the coverage and shiny tie-ups this anime has thanks to its audience and timeslot, I just hope the show itself can be decent too ._.

Last edited by wao; 2007-03-27 at 14:41.
Old 2007-03-27, 18:20   Link #129
DangerMouse

Very true, I hope this is as good as it looks, I want another Bones hit, I've enjoyed each of their shows and I don't want them to be pressured into being more formulaic or "pandering" to get an audience, I want them to keep making original amazing shows with depth like they've continued to do.
Old 2007-03-28, 01:02   Link #130
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Well, Takanori Nishikawa will be really angry at me if I dont watch this, so well, wishlist GO!
Old 2007-03-30, 23:53   Link #131
wao
OK.

Well, there's screenshots from a preview screening (only to selected participants) of the first two episodes that I found...

They're small but big enough to see what's going on, and there's so many of them you can pretty much see the outcome of the story here.

So see them at your own risk - a number of the scenes were in the trailer that was released, but at any rate it's quite spoilery. Here you go: 1, 2, 3. Oh, there's screenshots of the OP and ED too.

Anyway, it doesn't look fabulo-super-zomg-tacular or whatever, but I believe Bones tends to spread out its resources - instead of making the first episode jaw-droppingly awesome and sacrificing like, a good third of the budget on it, I get the feeling they distribute their resources more evenly. I remember with RahXephon the first episode hardly impressed me but it largely just kept getting better after that.

About the guest female character you see these two episodes, Chiaki Shinoda (voiced by Meyumi Toyoguchi), I'm not sure about what exactly she is but from what I read on a blog, it appears that she
Spoiler for this is a spoiler:

I don't know why I must like spoiling myself so much for a show that hasn't even aired yet. -_-

Anyway for now I am kind of pleasantly surprised and highly amused by how different Hei's two sides are. He's so adorkable as Li. And way too good with girls! Argh.

Last edited by wao; 2007-03-31 at 00:03.
Old 2007-03-31, 00:14   Link #132
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

[QUOTE=wao;882925]
I don't know why I must like spoiling myself so much for a show that hasn't even aired yet. -_-
[QUOTE]

Cause Yoko Kanno is composing the music for it?
well, even if the anime itself suck, the music should be something to listen to.

hmmm the screenshot is nothing spectacular indeed but the original trailers didn't really wow me with it's animation either... hopefully the actions would be smooth/fluid and animation quality consistent.

It's the character design and the detective sorta story that got me interested in the first place.
Old 2007-03-31, 10:00   Link #133
wao
OK.

Bah, if it was about Yoko Kanno only then I wouldn't give two hoots about the story, let alone to the extent of looking for spoilers and spoiler pics and all

But talking about the animation, I am a bit worried. I read the latest blog post by BONES on their production diary for this series, and would you believe it or not - they only finished production of the OP and ED last Tuesday morning?
I don't know if this is standard in anime production but for something like BONES I would have thought they'd have done it aroudn the same time as the first episode... And it's kind of tight because they had to show the preview screening on Friday

The poor production runner... After they finished production he returned home sleepily at 6:30 am, but after having a bath he had to leave at 9:00 am again for the dubbing of episode 7. Ergh. And I think he's been pulling all nighters the past few days, too. I guess it shouldn't be surprising...

Turns out he didn't have to sleep for episode 7 because it was, apparently, interesting enough. He did mention a bit about episode 7's content:
Spoiler:

Also turns out that the whole thing about the night sky <-> past is important after all, the staff dude mentioned it at the end of the entry with relation to the ED, which also features a night sky.

He mentions what we already know: that in the world of DtB, they've lost the starry sky they had until Hell's Gate appeared, and in the fake sky they have now there isn't even a moon. The thing is, it's common for people to look up into the sky when they think of the past, even if it's a fake sky and it doesn't have a moon or whatever. I guess it's fitting that the ED theme is "tsukiakari" (moonlight).
Old 2007-03-31, 11:12   Link #134
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Also turns out that the whole thing about the night sky <-> past is important after all, the staff dude mentioned it at the end of the entry with relation to the ED, which also features a night sky.

He mentions what we already know: that in the world of DtB, they've lost the starry sky they had until Hell's Gate appeared, and in the fake sky they have now there isn't even a moon. The thing is, it's common for people to look up into the sky when they think of the past, even if it's a fake sky and it doesn't have a moon or whatever. I guess it's fitting that the ED theme is "tsukiakari" (moonlight).
So, they are cocooning like in Gilgamesh?
Old 2007-04-02, 13:22   Link #135
7Th
Mixtape

New teaser thanks to Manuloz. Looks decent enough, not impressive but not bad at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04HA7Crzqd4
Old 2007-04-02, 14:22   Link #136
Rikichi

Very similar that Speed Grapher.
Old 2007-04-02, 16:48   Link #137
cmage

"Dark spy action anime", eh? Looks pretty exciting to me. I can't wait until it comes out so I can squeal over Hei.
Old 2007-04-02, 17:50   Link #138
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
New teaser thanks to Manuloz. Looks decent enough, not impressive but not bad at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04HA7Crzqd4
I really liked the bits where there's Yoko Kanno's soundtrack playing, her style seem to perfectly match this anime, apparently. But I also disliked T.M. Revolution's song during the first bit of the teaser, it just didn't feel alright nor it seemed to fit with the style and mood that this anime seems to convey. I don't know but I'll never understand why producers (because I am almost sure it wasn't Yoko Kanno's decision to have T.M. Revolution performing that song) have to stick the usual average, random but yet notorious jpop band/singer in it, having them do the OP or the ED song, even when their songs or music styles don't seem to match the one shown and conveyed by the anime itself. I feel that Yoko Kanno along with one of her long time partners (Steve Conte, or Ilaria Graziano, or others) might have produced a far better fitting OP song.

Oh, and lol@the talking cat, it reminded of Salem, from "Sabrina the Witch".
Old 2007-04-02, 18:11   Link #139
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I don't know but I'll never understand why producers (because I am almost sure it wasn't Yoko Kanno's decision to have T.M. Revolution performing that song) have to stick the usual average, random but yet notorious jpop band/singer in it, having them do the OP or the ED song, even when their songs or music styles don't seem to match the one shown and conveyed by the anime itself. I feel that Yoko Kanno along with one of her long time partners (Steve Conte, or Ilaria Graziano, or others) might have produced a far better fitting OP song.
The reason producers stick in JPop bands and singers and have them do the OP and the ED song is for advertisement for the anime and the song itself. By having T.M. Revolution's band (Abingdon boys school) do the OP, they can attract an audience that are fans of Takanori Nishikawa and his band. On the other hand, those who watch the anime will be tempted to buy the single of the song. The same applies to the ED.

So yeah, it's all about hyping up the series with the JPop artists, as well as for advertisement. Personally, I like the artist tie-ups; I tend to prefer songs by those artists than songs by someone else, such as a VA. However, if you look at the posts by wao, you'll see that the songs for this show actually DO go with the anime. Maybe you were expecting something more along the lines of the BGM by Yoko Kanno in regards to "fitting" with the anime, but the lyrics for the songs do fit with the theme of the show.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:13   Link #140
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This one needs to hurry up and air so i can hear more Yoko Kanno goodness (of course, i'm not going to be watching it just for that :3).
that's the only reason i'm watching it!!! :P

actually, if wao's excited about it then the odds are in favor of the show being something special. this gives me two new shows to watch. yay.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural