AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 22:24   Link #401
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I just re-watched episode 1 and I noticed something rather odd with the Matsuri's weakness to sunlight.

We all know she's avoids the sunlight like the plague and the hunter has been using these "light" based weapons on her, but she's just fine with indoor regular lights so I'm guessing it probably has to do with ultra violet waves of sunlight.

Now during the church scene, the hunter setup spotlights on the church's windows to cut off her escape and she dodged them like her life depended on it, but ultra violet light usually does not penetrate glass or plastic (Physics 101...) unless it is really intense UV light. Now in episode 2, where we see Matsuri hurting her finger in the sunlight which is odd because regular sunlight does not go through glass…unless you live directly under a hole in the ozone layer where the UV rays are ridiculously intense. Last time I check, Japan is not under any holes in the ozone layer, hmmm. Anyone finding this odd or am I just over thinking things?
There are different UV spectra. Carpets can fade from sunlight through a window, due to the near-UV. But more importantly...

There's a difference between SF and fantasy. Trinity Blood was SF, and vampires were weak to UV. But perhaps in Sola, the weakness is to 'the essence of sunlight'. That does not explain why spotlights are dangerous, yet indoor incandescent lights are safe, but... that could just be a plot-hole.

On the other hand, quartz bulbs/lenses can be made highly transmissive to UV, and the floodlights were certainly mercury-vapor lamps, which emit strong UV spectral lines. Furthermore, the finger-in-the-sunlight took a bit of time before the onset of damage. So, perhaps it is UV after all, and unfiltered sunlight would be immediately damaging.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:26   Link #402
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, not overthinking... but it simply may be a fantasy thing that the Sun is a special case (holy light??).
However, for now the UV-sensitivity theory is as good as any Not all glass stops UV.
From what I remember of watching both the drama series and the movie versions of Taiyou no Uta, glass by itself doesn't stop UV light, per se. The drama version of Kaoru needed thick curtains to stop all light from getting into her room. As for the movie version of Kaoru, she only needed a screen that still allows her to look out onto the outside world, but she needs a screen all the same.

So, I don't think glass by itself stops all UV. But considering I'm basing my sources on two examples of Japanese drama, feel free to take my words with an ocean's worth of salt.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:37   Link #403
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
There are different UV spectra. Carpets can fade from sunlight through a window, due to the near-UV. But more importantly...

There's a difference between SF and fantasy. Trinity Blood was SF, and vampires were weak to UV. But perhaps in Sola, the weakness is to 'the essence of sunlight'. That does not explain why spotlights are dangerous, yet indoor incandescent lights are safe, but... that could just be a plot-hole.

On the other hand, quartz bulbs/lenses can be made highly transmissive to UV, and the floodlights were certainly mercury-vapor lamps, which emit strong UV spectral lines. Furthermore, the finger-in-the-sunlight took a bit of time before the onset of damage. So, perhaps it is UV after all, and unfiltered sunlight would be immediately damaging.
Heh. I like that "essence of sunlight", very poetic and definitely sounds better for this type of fantasy-ish anime. Oh well, I wanted to throw this question out there to crowd and read their opinions.

Anyways, moving along now so we get back on topic.
Old 2007-04-15, 22:42   Link #404
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It could possibly be the something along the frequency (?) of sunlight--can't remember well what it was, but my mom is taking a photography course and the professor told her that blue light is the best for reading, since it's the only one that resembles almost perfectly the effect of sunlight reflection. I don't know what quality of sunlight did blue light mimic, but it could have to do with that. Remember that the hunter used blue lights to 'attack' her.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 00:06   Link #405
ZODDGUTS

Just watched ep 2 I don't know if I plan to continue this series is seems rather meh to me. I guess my expectations were a bit too high because I heard it has one of the writers of Kanon which I liked. Also the animation seems rather average and I'm not liking too much of the character designs very generic looking. I'm gonna watch one or two episodes but if it doesn't improve I'm done with this series.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 00:26   Link #406
4Tran

This is yet another show that I checked out purely because of the seiyuu in it (in this case, Noto Mamiko). It's definitely a very beautiful show. In particular, I really like the parallel between the sky on Yorito's ceiling and the one on the inside of Matsuri's umbrella. The thing that I watch anime most for is character interaction; and the interaction between the two leads has been excellent so far. So far so good; I hope that they can keep up the quality for the rest of the show.
Old 2007-04-16, 02:11   Link #407
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Yay! One more cover for Matsuri!

5506x3303 - 2,3 Mb

From it, I've extracted a photo of the seiyuu cast for sola (quality is so so, but just to give the idea)

Standing, from left to right: Ai Shimizu (Koyori) - Honda Youko (Mana) - Tomoko Kaneda (Mayuko) - Keiji Fujiwara (Takeshi)

Sitting, left to right: Mai Nakahara (Aono) - Nobuhiko Okamoto (Yorito) - Mamiko Noto (Matsuri)
Old 2007-04-16, 03:31   Link #408
VooXoo

Sorry if this has already been said before.

The sola word is a joke of authors.

Sola in italian is the word for a "alone" (for a girl, solo for a boy).

Sora in japanese is the word for "sky".

Because of the japanese pronunce the two word will be confused.

Beh, this is only my theory.
VooXoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 04:05   Link #409
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooXoo View Post
Sola in italian is the word for a "alone" (for a girl, solo for a boy).
That is interesting, and it fits perfectly for Matsuri, so I would not be surprised if they thought that. (In Finnish sola means (geographic) pass. )

Anyway, episode 2 was IMO better than first one, I like the animation in this series, when she was trying to make food I immediately thought a certain infamous scene in Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro na, but fortunately animation in sola is high quality.

I can't point out why I don't like this series, it has bishoujos, beatiful animation, mysterious female lead and Zettai Ryouiki its finest:

Perhaps I have finally reached my limit with annoying male leads...
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 04:08   Link #410
Skane
Anime Snark

Yorito is annoying? Well, he does have some aggravating points, like ignoring his sister's birthday for a sunset, but his overall personality seems to be a winner. Which part of Yorito do you find annoying?

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-16, 05:01   Link #411
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

I'm actually a little less intrigued by this than I was at the end of the first ep. I can sort of guess what path the plot is going to go down, which isn't a totally bad thing in and of itself since the whole point of the thing should be the characters, and all the drama should come from the dilemmas they face and the impact on themselves and the relationships they form, but so far I can't really see too many reasons to be attached to the characters. Yorito is dull (he's too normal) and Matsuri's personality doesn't match her supposed several-centuries existence. I mean, so far, the only thing that drives her (that we know) is survival and a wish to look upon the blue sky. We need something more, a character (and relationship to come) driven by something like this seems too airy-fairy to me, and if a Yorito-Matsuri relationship is to eventuate, given that she's centuries old there's no reason why she wouldn't have fallen for a similar artistic-mind in the past with (inevitable) tragic results, and we've seen no indication of this so far. If they skip a previous lover (or at the very least friend or family member) in Matsuri's past, first it'd be a dire opportunity for drama missed, and second it'd be incredibly unbelievable.

The reason I think this will be (to within certain bounds) predictable is because I think it will follow a very similar path to Tsukihime (and comparisons abound already exist). Word of warning: I've only seen the Tsukihime anime, I haven't played the game, so I know what I've seen is only a watered down version of the entire Tsukihime narrative. But, I think
Spoiler for speculation and Tsukihime comparisons:
On the topic of Arcueid Brunestud, people might think I'm crazy, but I actually think she's one of the best female leads I've ever seen in anime. She has a strong, complex (and, as someone said earlier, mature, yet still playful) personality and grows incredibly throughout the course of her series. I think sometimes she's really underrated in regards to how people see her and how incredible her character really is.

Anyway, the point is, to continue the Tsukihime comparison, that Matsuri's character is light years behind Arcueid at this stage. And, hell, Yorito is light years behind Shiki. If I end up not liking this series, I think one of the things I'll end up pointing to is Yorito and how dull he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Bah, I'm still getting the feeling that someone has mistakenly switched the roles of Nakahara and Noto by mistake in the beginning. But then again, I haven't heard Noto in a Matsuri kinda role since... well, lemme think here... since Narue no Sekai I guess? And man, that's kinda old, so I'm really not used to her as Matsuri.
It's refreshing to hear Noto in a strong lead role, but it's even more refreshing to hear Nakahara in a non-tsundere, non-genki, etc, etc role. I mean, sure, she's done Yuzuha, but this is a whole other kettle of fish. And I do think she's doing ok so far. It hasn't been a terribly demanding role to date, but it is a change of pace for her, and she's proving she can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I just re-watched episode 1 and I noticed something rather odd with the Matsuri's weakness to sunlight.

We all know she's avoids the sunlight like the plague and the hunter has been using these "light" based weapons on her, but she's just fine with indoor regular lights so I'm guessing it probably has to do with ultra violet waves of sunlight.

Now during the church scene, the hunter setup spotlights on the church's windows to cut off her escape and she dodged them like her life depended on it, but ultra violet light usually does not penetrate glass or plastic (Physics 101...) unless it is really intense UV light. Now in episode 2, where we see Matsuri hurting her finger in the sunlight is really odd because regular sunlight does not go through normal window glass…unless you live directly under a hole in the ozone layer where the UV rays are ridiculously intense. Last time I check, Japan is not under any holes in the ozone layer, hmmm. Anyone finding this odd or am I just over thinking things?
Physics and anime. Please, don't bring my job and my hobby together. There's a reason why I get home at night and watch stories of involving a group of high school girls with the magic ability to summon mecha and weapons from thin air fighting each other to send their respective most-important-persons away in a puff of green sparkles or stories where a mafia hitman revives himself into a zombie to get his revenge on his best friend from beyond the grave.

She's a mythical creature that can instantly turn steel into rust en masse. It's not supposed to be redeemable with nature.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 05:24   Link #412
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I agree that Yorito is a bit dull character at the moment, but he is not the worst creation i have ever seen >.> This one, most likely, is going to be mostly about character development and interactions, so he has room to grow.

I am fine with Matsuri being the way she is - nothing wrong with her not being an angst-ridden, indifferent well of wisdom, prone to philosophical statements. I agree she is not what one would expect from a few hundred years old immortal, but that is not a bad thing in this case, imo.

I agree that the problem is going to be related to Matsuri's powers, not herself. (Heck, personality-wise she seems as harmless as they come). Perhaps she couldn't control it well in the past, which caused trouble for some one close to her? (like turning in to a pile of rust and ashes >.>). Or maybe she goes berserk on the full moon or something

I doubt they are going to skip the past she has had. There is a reason why she said that Yorito will end up hating her, and i have little doubt they will touch upon the source of her beliefs. (And i don't think it has anything to do with her being "different", because our male lead seems to be only drawn closer by that ).

Aono is indeed the wild card here - i have a feeling her role might be an important one, but i can not figure out what. The hunter not telling his loli that he met Matsuri is also something to think about.

Overall i like this one a lot, and i hope for a twist ending - a happy one, because the expected one is, obviously, an epic tearjerker
Old 2007-04-16, 06:30   Link #413
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Yorito is dull (he's too normal) and Matsuri's personality doesn't match her supposed several-centuries existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I am fine with Matsuri being the way she is - nothing wrong with her not being an angst-ridden, indifferent well of wisdom, prone to philosophical statements. I agree she is not what one would expect from a few hundred years old immortal, but that is not a bad thing in this case, imo.
She's spent the most part of her several-centuries existence trapped in some place or another (like Kanna of AIR, except multiplied by a factor of 70), and only just recently escaped from wherever it was she was cooped up in. Thus her general naivete to the world around her, and also setting the stage for the pursuit by Glasses Man and Rozen Loli, although why their motivations seem to be different is still up for debate.

There, made a (fairly-educated) guess. Let's see if my predictions hold sway on this one.
Old 2007-04-16, 06:36   Link #414
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ok, I'd swallow that. Hell, I'd swallow most explanations provided they actually bother to give one.

Nonetheless, I'd hate if there was any question mark left on her past at all when this finishes. Centuries existence demands that something must have happened in her past and I'd really cry foul if they didn't explore it properly.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 06:39   Link #415
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ok, I'd swallow that. Hell, I'd swallow most explanations provided they actually bother to give one.

Nonetheless, I'd hate if there was any question mark left on her past at all when this finishes. Centuries existence demands that something must have happened in her past and I'd really cry foul if they didn't explore it properly.
10 out of 12 (or is it 11 of 13?) episodes left to go. I wouldn't be too worried at this point.
Old 2007-04-16, 07:03   Link #416
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Animdb says 13. Well, this will be a good time waster untill later June, so I am aboard.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 07:25   Link #417
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I have never played the game, but I am gonna call the end right now.

Spoiler for :
Spoiler:

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 07:26   Link #418
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Spoiler:
So you're saying... SHE TURNS PEOPLE INTO ROZEN MAIDENS???? THE HORROR!

Though actually, it's kind of hot. Who could hate that?
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 07:35   Link #419
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Though actually, it's kind of hot. Who could hate that?
Certainly not Yorito i bet
Old 2007-04-16, 07:47   Link #420
Erawyn

I think it's still a bit early to speculate whether this will have a happy ending or not, seeing as it is completely original and has only aired two episodes so far. We hardly know anything about the story so far. Just need to wait until more episodes are aired. Also, why would anyone relate physics to anime...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for From the manga:
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural