AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 23:33   Link #461
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Incidentally, colorless wind is due to be released on the 25th of this month (April) and Mellow Melody on the 23rd of May.

Highly enjoying sola so far. Has the right kind of hooks to keep me glued to the screen, which isn't true for most shows, so it's definitely doing well. Oh, and I want a Matsuri figurine, with a beret. Removeable, preferrably, but not necessary. She's just so... so cute!

Sadly, nothing yet... but I have faith...

-Andiyar

Last edited by andiyar; 2007-04-18 at 08:31.
andiyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 08:54   Link #462
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
Oh, and I want a Matsuri figurine, with a beret. Removeable, preferrably, but not necessary. She's just so... so cute!

Sadly, nothing yet... but I have faith...

-Andiyar
Sounds like a good idea, if I can shift my 'expenses' for that >.> .
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 08:54   Link #463
Manatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The reason I think this will be (to within certain bounds) predictable is because I think it will follow a very similar path to Tsukihime (and comparisons abound already exist).
Interesting comparisons you brought up, I imagine there's a role in Tsukihime which Aono can slip into just fine though, Akiha's role of a protective and overbearing sister. I'm only speculating at this point, but we have seen a bit of the overbearing trait when she insist on Yorito visting and I suspect the normally taciturn Aono might turn out to be the one voicing the strongest disapproval for Matsuri.
Old 2007-04-18, 11:19   Link #464
Dandruff
Flakey

Ya know, because of Matsuri's.."condition" we won't get our clich'ed beach episode which means no Matsuri-in-a-bathing-suit-fanservice...damn..

Lawl, jokes aside, I'm enjoying this series so far, I found myself drawn into ep 2 so much that when the credits rolled by I was like.."Wha? It's over already? Nooo.."
Old 2007-04-18, 11:32   Link #465
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
Ya know, because of Matsuri's.."condition" we won't get our clich'ed beach episode which means no Matsuri-in-a-bathing-suit-fanservice...damn..
Well then... any one hoping for a shower episode instead ?
Old 2007-04-18, 11:34   Link #466
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:

Lawl, jokes aside, I'm enjoying this series so far, I found myself drawn into ep 2 so much that when the credits rolled by I was like.."Wha? It's over already? Nooo.."
Well, given the background of the crew working on this, beach episodes and onsen episodes are more or less out of the question. Beach/onsen episodes tend to be more prevalent in the lesser renai-type anime where the selling factor is more on the "fanservice" than the actual story itself.

If you look at the more well-regarded renai-type anime such as Kanon, Air, Tsukihime, KGNE, etc... they don't contain such scenes, and are remembered more for their intricate storylines (your mileage may vary).

Of course, there are exceptions such as Canvas 2, which I consider to be my top favourite renai-type anime (I am excluding Futakoi Alternative from this category, since that was a totally different beast). It did contain a beach episode, but they used it to further the drama (mmm... pathos) instead of making a show out of "the boobies".

Bottomline is, if they want to insert a beach/onsen episode into sola, they better have a good reason for doing so.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-18, 12:31   Link #467
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Send a message via MSN to kct
I don't think it would work, personally, potential bickering and fighting may happen.

Who knows, Takeshi might suddenly come charging in with more flashbangs and swords >.> .
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 12:40   Link #468
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2 was pretty nice as well
the good old classic boy who meets girl who is a vampire being story but with a twist that their common interest is the sky...i think i can see a teary future as nothing good ever comes from a vampire relationship >_< all i can say is "gamba" ~ and also "everything can be fixed with a good kick"

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 12:48   Link #469
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep 2 was pretty nice as well
the good old classic boy who meets girl who is a vampire being story but with a twist that their common interest is the sky...i think i can see a teary future as nothing good ever comes from a vampire relationship >_< all i can say is "gamba" ~ and also "everything can be fixed with a good kick"
What part in the second episode told you she is a Vampire?
Old 2007-04-18, 13:51   Link #470
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
it doesnt but she does have qualities like a vampire minus the blood sucking part so far...she probably substituted it for that weird juice

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 14:45   Link #471
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They've thrown a lot of "vampire" clues but I think those are mostly red herrings from her actual illness/problem. I think I'm going to look through japanese mythology for this type of character that turns to dust in sunlight... though its possible it is just a unique variation the writers have come up with based on various fantasy stories about people trapped within some restriction who turn to dust if they cross the line.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 15:09   Link #472
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

This anime has a surprising good feeling to it and is turning out better than expected.
Kai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 17:26   Link #473
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Bathhouse.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 17:46   Link #474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

.... oh... "throws in a vote for the deluxe outdoor onsen in the moonlight"
<shrug>
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 18:19   Link #475
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I kinda disagree about Mana having feelings for Yorito - didn't seem that way. While their "relationship" seems that of a classic childhood friends where the female has a crush on the guy, that doesn't seem the case here. At least i didn't get the feeling here.
She cooked for him in ep1. I shall paraphrase Silent Bob: "Most girls will go out with you. Some of 'em will even sleep with you. But when a girl brings you lasagna... That's something special."

The way I see it, Mana is the only sensible outcome for Yorito. As romantic a pairing as Matsuri+Yorito is, it can't end well. She's centuries older than him, and I've sensed a tendency on her part to see him as a child. (Like the head-pat.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I found it interesting that Takeshi is keeping Matsuri out of Mayuko's sight. Mayuko is well-aware of what Takeshi is hunting, so the most plausible reason to do so is because Mayuko knows Matsuri, but doesn't know that Matsuri is the "Night Plague".
There was Mayuko's comment earlier: "Will I be able to meet her this time?" Matsuri isn't the first "abomination" they've gone after. I wonder if Takeshi's reason for finding her isn't the same as Mayuko's.

I doubt Mayuko knows Matsuri directly. When she see's Yorito she asks, "Is that the one?"

Quote:
Where the heck does Takeshi sleep anyway? Or is it going to be one of those, "We leave it up to your imagination" kind of scenarios?
He seems the "any convenient solid surface" type of guy. Or the "I'll sleep when I'm dead" type... or both.

Quote:
Matsuri's power seems to be accelerated decay. If we tie this to her comment to Yorito (about eventually hating her), what if things around her passively decay at an accelerated rate (just not as fast as when she actively uses it)? It would befit her title of "Plague of the Night".
I keep thinking of the history monks from Discworld. The ability to store and release time. Somewhat explains her resistance to aging, We saw her rust metal and crumble a stone of unknown ferrous content. Perhaps, in order to survive, she must occasionally release the pent-up time/entropy. And she doesn't want Yorito to see her when it happens.

Takeshi called her "yoru no azawarai", right?

Quote:
I'm wondering why the previews are called previews.
I love that! Matsuri giving a history lesson of beans is adorable. (Recall that the soft-drink was a tomato-bean mix.) A little bit of payback for Yorito's ranting about clouds, even?

And since I'll be watching the next episode anyway, no matter what they say...

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-04-18 at 18:21. Reason: tom: 0 -- dictionary: 1
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 20:13   Link #476
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They've thrown a lot of "vampire" clues but I think those are mostly red herrings from her actual illness/problem. I think I'm going to look through japanese mythology for this type of character that turns to dust in sunlight... though its possible it is just a unique variation the writers have come up with based on various fantasy stories about people trapped within some restriction who turn to dust if they cross the line.

Hey, while you're researching. could you see if Yaksha (Yakkha) are light sensitive? It was said that she was a "Yaka" in ep. 2. and this was the closest I could get to "Yaka". Of course, ref. 1 and ref. 2 say that Yaksha are not very pleasant to deal with apparently. From the same site as ref. 1, Yaksha are called "demons who fly by night".
Old 2007-04-18, 20:15   Link #477
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
~ There was Mayuko's comment earlier: "Will I be able to meet her this time?" Matsuri isn't the first "abomination" they've gone after. I wonder if Takeshi's reason for finding her isn't the same as Mayuko's.

I doubt Mayuko knows Matsuri directly. When she see's Yorito she asks, "Is that the one?" ~
That's the thing. Takeshi did not tell Mayuko that they are after Matsuri.

If Mayuko does not know that Matsuri is the "Night Plague", then she wouldn't know that Takeshi is after Matsuri. She only knows that Takeshi is after the "Night Plague", and at this point, she does not know what the "Night Plague" looks like.

So I still strongly believe that Mayuko knows Matsuri personally, and that is the reason why Takeshi does not want her to know who he is hunting.

Quote:
I love that! Matsuri giving a history lesson of beans is adorable. (Recall that the soft-drink was a tomato-bean mix.) A little bit of payback for Yorito's ranting about clouds, even?

Oooo, didn't quite see it that way. What does this forebode for Ep03's preview then? Aono's lesson on Origami? I will note that Aono smiled at Koyuri in Ep02. So she is not all that robotic.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-18, 20:25   Link #478
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oooo, didn't quite see it that way. What does this forebode for Ep03's preview then? Aono's lesson on Origami? I will note that Aono smiled at Koyuri in Ep02. So she is not all that robotic.

Cheers.
That's good. The robotic characters are unsympathetic anyway, so if they have a sick girl who is potentially going to die, they'd want her to be something other than a Rei clone for emotional effect.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 20:26   Link #479
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Interesting comparisons you brought up, I imagine there's a role in Tsukihime which Aono can slip into just fine though, Akiha's role of a protective and overbearing sister. I'm only speculating at this point, but we have seen a bit of the overbearing trait when she insist on Yorito visting and I suspect the normally taciturn Aono might turn out to be the one voicing the strongest disapproval for Matsuri.
Aono is slightly different from Akiha in that, while Aono is demanding, Akiha is controlling. That is an apt comparison, though. Akiha ended up playing a vital role in the mystery surrounding Shiki's past (one of the components in Tsukihime that was executed outstandingly), but no such mystery exists in this anime. So, whatever role Aono plays in this story, I'd imagine it'd end up being significantly different to Akiha's in Tsukihime.
Spoiler for speculation:
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 21:34   Link #480
dojikyo

Quote:
She cooked for him in ep1. I shall paraphrase Silent Bob: "Most girls will go out with you. Some of 'em will even sleep with you. But when a girl brings you lasagna... That's something special."

The way I see it, Mana is the only sensible outcome for Yorito. As romantic a pairing as Matsuri+Yorito is, it can't end well. She's centuries older than him, and I've sensed a tendency on her part to see him as a child. (Like the head-pat.)

There was Mayuko's comment earlier: "Will I be able to meet her this time?" Matsuri isn't the first "abomination" they've gone after. I wonder if Takeshi's reason for finding her isn't the same as Mayuko's.

I doubt Mayuko knows Matsuri directly. When she see's Yorito she asks, "Is that the one?"

He seems the "any convenient solid surface" type of guy. Or the "I'll sleep when I'm dead" type... or both.

I keep thinking of the history monks from Discworld. The ability to store and release time. Somewhat explains her resistance to aging, We saw her rust metal and crumble a stone of unknown ferrous content. Perhaps, in order to survive, she must occasionally release the pent-up time/entropy. And she doesn't want Yorito to see her when it happens.

Takeshi called her "yoru no azawarai", right?

You are forgetting the rule of anime. Childhood friends and/or females that are already interested in the male lead never end up together unless a promise is involved. ie.
Spoiler:
. Otherwise, it is usually the first female the guy notices, which would make it Matsuri. They need to show some courtship after all.
dojikyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural