AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

Old 2007-06-26, 16:40   Link #861
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xat View Post
While we're on the subject, anidb lists episode 13 as "Sky". Now the title in Japanese is sora, which does translate to sky, but it's in katakana (ソラ). That leaves some dynamic as to how it can be interpreted, and since the show itself is titled "sola", I figured the rationale would be that it's more iconic for the last episode title to be translated to "sola" as opposed to "sky". This is obviously finalized for our version of episode 13, but the change can be made later on for the batch / translation package.

Any thoughts on this?
I agree with you. If they had meant "sky", they would have used the kanji. By using the katakana, it's more likely to be a reference to the show's title, which is doubly as likely given that it's the last episode. As you said, it's symbolic. So yeah, unless the episode itself hints otherwise, I'd go with "sola", as you suggest.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 19:09   Link #862
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xat View Post
While we're on the subject, anidb lists episode 13 as "Sky".
As if the anidb editors actually watch the shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I agree with you. If they had meant "sky", they would have used the kanji. By using the katakana, it's more likely to be a reference to the show's title,...
All of the episode titles have been in katakana.

I can justify it either way. On the one hand, if you're going to translate it to "sky", it would make more sense to use standard romanization. But to maintain the double-meaning, you would have to use "sola" and not translate it.

Short of any official opinion, I'd vote for "sora", mostly for aesthetics. It seems better to me to say, "Sola episode 13 is titled 'sora'.". The other way sounds redundant.

On an entirely unrelated note, I just noticed the June issue of Smithsonian magazine has a short article called "Extreme Origami" about physicist Robert Lang who wrote a computer program for designing new figures. Pretty fancy stuff. Maybe a Yorito isn't entirely fantasy.
Old 2007-06-26, 22:24   Link #863
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
All of the episode titles have been in katakana.
I clearly haven't been paying attention to episode titles until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Short of any official opinion, I'd vote for "sora", mostly for aesthetics. It seems better to me to say, "Sola episode 13 is titled 'sora'.". The other way sounds redundant.
I'd sort of find that a bit confusing, I guess, but I can see where you're going with that. Although "ソラ" is the show's title written in katakana, it's visually different than writing it in romaji. You'd sort of be taking advantage of the "r/l" thing to bring attention to the "effect" of writing the same word in two different "alphabets" (writing systems). So... I still like "sola" better as an episode title, but I see the logic. That being said, if you're not going to use the show title as an episode title, shouldn't you just translate the word (given that every other title has been in katakana and translated)? We're back where we started, and now I can potentially see the logic the anidb contributor applied! Argh! There is no right answer!
Old 2007-06-28, 12:19   Link #864
jimbo98765

new here. did anybody see the similarities in the concept of this girl in sola and the proxies from ergo proxy???
jimbo98765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 10:10   Link #865
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

A report of the special seiyuu event in celebration of the release of the first sola DVD. As expected, there doesn't seem to be any female in the event except the seiyuu of Matsuri and Mana .

http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/20...73885,0,0.html

Spoiler for Photos:
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 10:14   Link #866
BigRob2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Does the title "Sola" means anything in japanese?

It's written just as: Ella esta sola --> She is alone
This was written a while ago. No one has said that that this is the meaning of the shows name. But I get the feeling that with the way the show is going it applies more and more if thats the shows true meaning, Or at least is should be IMO
BigRob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 15:10   Link #867
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
A report of the special seiyuu event in celebration of the release of the first sola DVD. As expected, there doesn't seem to be any female in the event except the seiyuu of Matsuri and Mana .

http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/20...73885,0,0.html

Spoiler for Photos:
I want that poster! ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 16:33   Link #868
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Anyone knows if the DVD's will be available with English sub's?
and in that case, when and where?
I want it

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 16:40   Link #869
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areguzanda View Post
Anyone knows if the DVD's will be available with English sub's?
and in that case, when and where?
I want it
Well, nobody's announced it yet, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'd say it's pretty likely this show will get licensed some day, but it may not be right away. We'll see...
Old 2007-07-02, 16:44   Link #870
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, nobody's announced it yet, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'd say it's pretty likely this show will get licensed some day, but it may not be right away. We'll see...
God I hope so.
I want the manga too....

Just ordered the Sora umbrella though
This One

Old 2007-07-03, 00:22   Link #871
GoukiYaga
Jigoku Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob2 View Post
This was written a while ago. No one has said that that this is the meaning of the shows name.
i think the same "She is alone" maybe thats would be the english title... or Alone
Old 2007-07-03, 04:26   Link #872
Cyber_chaotic
I recommend Souske!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Spoiler for Photos:
Whoa.....look at all them fanboys........pretty creepy though if you think about it.

Anyway, How many CDs are out for the Anime?
like as in the character singles...i hear theres a Masturi, Aono and Mayuko themed ones that are out. Are there anymore?

Currently in mourning
Cyber_chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 09:04   Link #873
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_chaotic View Post
Anyway, How many CDs are out for the Anime?
like as in the character singles...i hear theres a Masturi, Aono and Mayuko themed ones that are out. Are there anymore?
Huh? No, there aren't any character singles out, just the OP, ED, and OST. There'll be an Image Album coming out on August 8th, and a Drama CD on August 22nd. I think what you had heard might just have been based on the cover art for the CDs already out.
Old 2007-07-04, 05:43   Link #874
bleakessence

Snap... just finished watching all the episodes. The ending is kind of flat... really flat. (at least for me)

@TigerII
I have to agree: sola has a certain vibe that reminds me so much of air.

*The already-mentioned reincarnation theme
*The intro-scenes of both series: heavy emphasis on clouds and the sky.
*The op-songs of both scenes: I swear I almost hummed the op of air...
*The endings:
Spoiler for ending:

But sola has less moe in it, less emotionally-draining scenes, and definitely more action than its peer.
Old 2007-07-04, 07:34   Link #875
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_chaotic View Post
Whoa.....look at all them fanboys........pretty creepy though if you think about it.
How can you call fans of the series/seiyuu's creepy?
Old 2007-07-07, 00:58   Link #876
Cyber_chaotic
I recommend Souske!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
How can you call fans of the series/seiyuu's creepy?
Well for one thing, as Doraneko pointed out earlier that the only females visible were the 2 seiyuus that were there.....
You'd think at least (with that comment in mind) that there might've been a few females from the public....that's why i thought it creepy.

^^

Currently in mourning
Cyber_chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 19:23   Link #877
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
The question is which one voiced which character? It's pretty obvious which of the three voiced Yorito, unless one of the others did and.... I don't want to even think about it...

And I'm not sure if anyone really answered this, but did anyone figure out what Mayuko's special ability was? To erase people's memories about people?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 03:51   Link #878
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
The question is which one voiced which character? It's pretty obvious which of the three voiced Yorito, unless one of the others did and.... I don't want to even think about it...
The one who is holding the umbrella is Noto Mamiko who voiced Matsuri. The one standing next to her is the voice-actress of Mana, Honda Youko.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 12:15   Link #879
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

yey!! my umbrella arrived :D

Finaly I got my Sky-umbrella
(Link to order Here!)

here is some pics of it.
looks great and is solid too. worth the money.

Old 2007-07-19, 18:35   Link #880
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
haha wow that looks really nice XD lucky you to be able to see a cheerful sky even on a rainy day

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural