AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-06, 23:35   Link #1
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Bittorrent poisoners!

Have you ever experienced lots of "A piece failed hash check. Redownloading" errors while using Bittorrent? I used to have this error once in a while, but I think it's happening more often. My last time was a couple of days ago with Planetes 3 by AE&LE, I ended up downloading about 100MB extra, and it left me wondering if we could be see a new form of attack against Bittorrent.

From my limited knowledge of how BT operates, I guess that it could be possible to hack a client so it doesn't check the integrity of the file, and connects to the tracker and start sending trash packets to the people in the swarm. Of course, our client software will detect them as invalid data and will re-reques them, but we have already wasted bandwidth. Does that sound feasible?

If it does, I think a worthy addition to the BT clients should be a feature that monitores the quality of the packets received. If it detects that a user has sent a lot of invalid data (maybe a ratio or a configurable quantity), it does't request from him/her anymore. Maybe it could even track those IPs and build a ban list for future use.

And third, I also wonder if a form of "Denial of Service" attack would be possible, where somebody connects and starts sending invalid data to everybody in the swarm, whether they requested or not, effectively making impossible to download the file.

With RIAA and MPAA declaring war on P2P networks and having specifically named (I have been told) also Bittorrent, they're issues that should be discussed.

BTW, the recent problems with Scarywater reminded me that Bittorrent needs a distributed tracker approach to lessen the dependence and vulnerability of a central tracker. Does anybody know if work on that feature has advanced?
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 00:39   Link #2
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Have you ever experienced lots of "A piece failed hash check. Redownloading" errors while using Bittorrent?
I'd bet it's due to bugs in some of the newer peers. There's lots of people making 'em these days and unfortunately that means lots more potential for one that aren't quite 100%. I know Azureus has a bug where it's possible when using fast resume to have it seed a bad file.

Anyhow, I'd think it would be a good idea to just completely disconnect any peer that sent much bad data - TCP/IP connections already have error checking, so that really should *never* happen unless something's really wrong. Maybe some of the peers do this already?
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 01:59   Link #3
Mcgreag
Gunnm junkie

Shadows client got a feature so that you can choose to stop getting data from any peer that sent you bad data. That might lessen the problem a bit.
Mcgreag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 03:26   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

As Mcgreag said. Download Shadow's BitTorrent Client from the link that I just offered. It has an option to ban clients that send you bad data.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 02:29   Link #5
Xess
Go Suzuka!

As for the distributed tracker thing, currently shareaza supports some trackerless functionality by searching for identical files over ed2k and gnutella2 networks, which will in turn connect to other peers who are connected to more peers. I believe the torrents have to be encoded with torrentaid (or maybe not) for this to work.
Old 2003-11-14, 21:07   Link #6
guenthar

There is another client that will ban clients that send bad data and that is ABC ( http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ which is based off of Shadows client but has some other features like having all downloads in a single window.
Old 2003-11-15, 02:16   Link #7
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
And third, I also wonder if a form of "Denial of Service" attack would be possible, where somebody connects and starts sending invalid data to everybody in the swarm, whether they requested or not, effectively making impossible to download the file.
Actually it would be quite easy to do a DOS style attack on BT. You would just have to do it on the tracker. if there is no tracker to connect to then BT will not work.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 02:04   Link #8
Buster
猿王

I was just experiencing exactly this. Shadow's client kicked the IP in question, which was sending nothing but garbage, quite nicely. Doing a search at APNIC revealed that the IP in question is from the Japanese ISP, Mitsubishi's Dream Train Internet subsidiary. Why would a Japanese Internet user be P2P'ing an english-language fansub, I wonder?
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 10:57   Link #9
GundamWind

I have a 3 gig dowload that was supposed to be done two days ago but is still recieving hash errors. I have since redownloaded a gig or so of crap from the tracker and its at 99.99% How dumb is that. Is there any way to fix somthing like this?
GundamWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 12:24   Link #10
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

Quote:
Originally Posted by guenthar
There is another client that will ban clients that send bad data and that is ABC ( http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ which is based off of Shadows client but has some other features like having all downloads in a single window.
offtopic: I tried the program and it's really good!!! more extra functions along with shadow's client's goodness, has winxp looks too!!! *recommended*
offtopic: Buster cool ava^^

I've always thought that it's inevitable that sometimes the data transfer might corrupt a bit (thats why SFV exists) and the faster the trasfer the higher the risk getting corrupted packets. (IMO laggy connections also cause corrupted packets)
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 23:53   Link #11
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Corrupt data pieces while d/ling Princess Tutu...

I am having this very problem, as I try to download Princess Tutu 19 (Part 1).

Now that the file is 99% complete, my Bittorrent client (Burst!) is trying to get the last piece. So I wait for a minute for the piece to download, and the file is at 99.7%...only to be slapped with a 'piece failed hash check' error message. Meanwhile the file completion percentage drops to 99.4%

So the file percentage slips back a little bit, Burst! tries to download the last piece, and when the file gets up to 99.4% (or 99.2%)...still slapped with the same error, and the file completion percentage goes down again. Seems as if I was getting the same corrupted piece of data. And this happens over and over and over again.

Restarted Burst! once, and the cycle starts up all over...this is driving me up the wall, to say the least. Is there any way to complete the download, short of making a new re-seeding request? Also, is anyone experiencing the same problem as I do?

Thanks!
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 02:41   Link #12
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

I would suggest you to change your client to shadow's latest client or ABC, and there's an advanced option to enable ban ips that send you bad data.
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 15:57   Link #13
sl33p
Inactive Member

can Azureus client do this also? i havent tried it yet and still deciding
sl33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 16:43   Link #14
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl33p
I use it and really love it - not sure if it bans bad senders or not though. There's no option, but it still might be doing it silently. If you set the max number of connections you'll allow (a good idea since too many can bog things down), it seems to eventually drop those that don't perform well.

Under the details tab there a bunch of stat colums you can add to the display (by right-clicking) that aren't there by default. They'll give you a ton of statistics so you can easily see who you're connected to and how much if any good and bad data they've sent.

It also an easy way to see the over-all state of the torrent. For example, you can tell if a new torrent is seeded off a very slow host because everyone will have the exact same data (waiting on the seed to supply more). A torrent like this will be slow until more seeds develop - what you want to see is everyone with more or less random spread of data.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 16:54   Link #15
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

That error happens to me a lot,
expecially when dl batch files and leaving them on overnight
like A-kraze spiral and anbu naruto

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 20:50   Link #16
Zippy-DSM

Send a message via ICQ to Zippy-DSM Send a message via AIM to Zippy-DSM Send a message via Yahoo to Zippy-DSM
wheres shadows clinet home page?
I cant seem to find it >< lost the shortcut
Zippy-DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 04:56   Link #17
Ulayo

Send a message via ICQ to Ulayo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl33p

Yes, Azureus also bans those who send bad data. It was added in version 2.0.6.0 (called bad peer detection in the changelog).
Ulayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 05:57   Link #18
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy-DSM
wheres shadows clinet home page?
I cant seem to find it >< lost the shortcut
Full (Almost..) list of BT clients: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=11
Old 2004-01-05, 09:47   Link #19
Zippy-DSM

Send a message via ICQ to Zippy-DSM Send a message via AIM to Zippy-DSM Send a message via Yahoo to Zippy-DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Full (Almost..) list of BT clients: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=11

thanks ^^
mm I found it tho on google..took me a awhile....I getting to old to surf at midnight on a caffine low :P
Zippy-DSM is offline   Reply With Quote