AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-29, 07:51   Link #1
kuchiki

Looking for some new anime to watch :)

Hey people, I'm pretty bored at the moment, and would like some new anime to watch. I'm not sure on what I should look for though, since I can't always judge anime just by their description. I'm into different kinds of anime, and always open to new stuff. Oh, and I don't really mind if the anime is licensed or not. I'm willing to spend time looking for good anime.
Here's a list of the anime I enjoyed most from A to Z (I added reasons to give you a better image of what I seek in anime):

-Azumanga Daioh (just because it was so random, cute, and mindless xP)

-Bleach (nothing special, I just like the character design a lot. And the concept is interesting)

-Cowboy Bebop (Had to get into this one, but I liked it a lot after watching all of it. very artistic.)

-Death Note (excellent story, excellent animation. there is nothing about this show I dislike)

--Elfen Lied (one of my favorites. Interesting story, and very nice drawings)

-Ergo Proxy (dark and futuristic. Awesome music.)

-Full Metal Alchemist (good story, I liked how they "implemented" alchemy into the world, making it more realistic than fantasy)

-Ghost in the Shell movie (same reasons as Ergo Proxy, and the story was very interesting too. Gives you a lot to think about.)

-Hellsing (I've seen both the normal series and the ongoing OVA. I liked the OVA more due to better drawing style, and it follows the manga.)

-Spirited Away (Lovely movie, fun story, and awesome music.)

-Monster (Altho it was too long, the story was excellent. It kept me hooked)

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (The first anime I watched. I liked the story and depth of it, and the animation added a lot too.)

-Shakugan no Shana (I liked the character design and the animation mostly. the story was alright).

-Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (perhaps my favorite anime up to date. It has a bit of everything, and the animation in some of the episodes is probably the best I've seen. The music is awesome, and the balance between funny moments and serious ones is great too. I wish they made more seasons of this show, but I can only hope.)

And now for some anime I didn't like too much (didn't finish all of them though).

-Blood+ (story wasn't interesting enough, and I didn't like the character design in general).

-Chrono Crusade (the ending was good, but the rest of the series wasn't interesting enough for me. It could have been done a lot better though, since the concept was good.)

-Gantz (I did finish this show, but it was a bit over the top tbh. I didn't like how the story differed so much from the manga in the end. Almost all of the characters were pricks as well)

-Noir (would have been good if it was a 13 ep show, but it just dragged on way too much. Seeing the same flashback scene for the 10th time was a bit too cheap for my liking)

And finally, the rest of the anime I've watched, just so you don't recommend these to me. I didn't like these anime as much as the rest, but I didn't dislike these either.

-Akira
-Genshiken
-Rurouni Kenshin

Well, this was my list. Now let's hear some nice recommendations
Old 2006-12-29, 08:13   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
D. gray-man

Code Geass

Fate stay night

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Old 2006-12-29, 09:10   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I second Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (horror/mystery) and Code Geass

Berserk

Maybe Mai-HiME

If you liked EVA you will probably like RahXephon

Well, if you are open for anything you could try
Kanon (ongoing) and Air (if you liked the animation in Suzumiya Haruhi, you will like it here - they are produced by the same company)
Old 2006-12-29, 09:54   Link #4
kuchiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I second Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (horror/mystery) and Code Geass
I think I'll start with these two then, since both of you recommended them
Old 2006-12-29, 12:02   Link #5
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Black Lagoon & Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage - very exciting show, you won't be disappointed.
Gungrave - this series I think you would really like, it's about 2 best friends who join the mafia and end up becoming enemies.
Tsukihime, Lunar Legend - a pretty good vampire show by the same makers of fate/stay night.
Old 2006-12-30, 07:28   Link #6
miaka

I'll second with D.Gray-man.
Shounen Onmyouji

Utawarerumono - licensed
Old 2006-12-30, 08:12   Link #7
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
As there your list of enjoyable animes shows a significant resemblance to mine, I'll just recommend a few of my favorites.
Gunslinger Girl
Fate/Stay Night
Shingetsutan Tsukihime

I can also second Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Berserk and Air.

edit:
I can't understand how anyone can prefer the Hellsing OVAs over the original series though.
Old 2006-12-30, 10:54   Link #8
Zyan

Since you like the Ghost in the Shell movie, you should try out the 2 seasons of Ghost in the Shell TV series. IMHO, they are better than the movie. Note that they are both licensed.
Old 2006-12-30, 10:59   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

Maybe Mai-HiME

i second Mai HiME and after that take a pek at Mai Otome as well
Old 2006-12-30, 12:56   Link #10
kuchiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I can't understand how anyone can prefer the Hellsing OVAs over the original series though.
I meant Hellsing Ultimate, which may be an OVA (I'm not too sure). I like it better because it's much more detailed, better drawn, and follows the manga plotline. Only two episodes have been released so far though

Thanks for everyone recommendations, I'll read up on them!
Old 2006-12-30, 13:50   Link #11
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I know the 2 episodes of the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series released so far. Not having read the manga I (obviously) don't care about whether it follows it closely or not. The animation quality is much better, that's right. But the lack of the cool Soundtrack alone would be reason enough for me not to like the OVAs as much as the old Hellsing.
Also it focuses much more on action (and on violence), the characters aren't developed as well as they were before; all in all I don't particularly like the "Ultimate"-series.

And, as this is a recommendations-thread, I'll add one more anime to the list: Chobits.
If you have been avoiding romance/comedy on purpose you most probably won't like it. But if you just haven't stumbled across a good anime of that genre until now, you might just be able to enjoy this hilarious, cute and in my opinion wonderful story. ^^
Old 2006-12-30, 14:26   Link #12
frozen_night
Everlasting Snow

Hmm.......

Air TV
D.N. Angel
Kanon (2006)
Ouran High School Host Club (comedy)
Kimi Ga Nozumo Eien (but you'll have to download it yourself. YouTube doesn't have it...)
Full Moon Wo Sagashite (manga's better than anime but anime not bad either...)