AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-04-27, 17:14   Link #541
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
SNIP
I understand the process of doing a decent translation then rerecording and remixing everything isn't an instant process, however if the Japanese studios make it that hard to obtain thier licenses, then they too share some of the blame, at the end of the day, they do make additional money from overseas sales, is it in thier best interest to kill thier own external market? Besides even if they with-hold a property from release for 6 months [example figure] in the US after Japan, that doesn't mean the dubbing houses shouldn't work on getting hold of the material and working on it ASAP so they can release it as quickly as they're allowed, the Japanese licensor might prevent them from releasing it for x months after Asia, but it almost seems to be a case of they withold it for x months, and THEN the US companies start working on it, they ought to try negotiating to be able to work on it before the deadline, so as soon as the original licensee allows, the property is ready to move.

Also, even if the Japanese do with-hold properties for a period, it still doesnt excuse the extended delays in a property being released in say the US and UK/Eur, 99% of our dubs are the american dubs after all. Whilst localisation in terms of subtitles does take some time, we're not talking 6 months here; entire novels can be translated in lower time periods than that.

You're also always going to get people who lambast dubs, partially because in some cases, they have been traditionally poor because of the poor voice acting etc. The Japanese have a higher reverence for the people who work in this field, and thus generally quality is higher, whilst for some dubs to be lambasted IS retarded because they're rather good, its the same with all hobbies, there are always 'purists' of some kind or another; this isn't something that extends to just anime.

Personally, if the Japanese studios start release decent subbed version of thier works overseas (read: not hack jobs), preferably with some native language speakers for localisation involved in the editing, then I'd welcome them with open arms, greater competition should push quality up, and if it speeds up releases, then that's always a good thing.

In regards to 'decent' property, I agree that can be difficult to define, but shall we just say popular, appealing, critically well rated, the point was if the companies worked on reducing the waiting times involevd, then they'd likely make more sales, regardless of what the title is, as long as there is a market for it.

PS. Im tired (long working hours today) so if any of this is incoherant, then apologies.
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 23:36   Link #542
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
As I understand it, the process of obtaining a license to distribute a given series in the West is a very difficult one. The Japanese media companies don't want Japanese consumers buying their anime in the West and re-importing it into Japan. (It's cheaper here, as I understand it; though people here complain about how expensive it is.) End result, the Japanese end up sitting on properties until they've made their first flush of money from the DVDs, BDs, and assorted marketing tie-ins. The export market is almost an afterthought to them.
Agreed, but since there seems to be some skepticism, let's just do a little research, shall we?

I'm using FMA as an example because Haruhi discs have been out in both places for some time, so prices have changed.

鋼の錬金術師 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST 10 (DVD) (BD)
Four episodes (35-38) on 1 disc
¥4463 = $47.43 (DVD)
¥5231 = $55.61 (BD)
Release date: 05/26/10

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 1 (DVD) (BD)
Thirteen episodes (1-13) on 2 discs
$36.99 = ¥3478 (DVD)
$40.99 = ¥3856 (BD)
Release date: 05/25/10

Let us all keep in mind that Japanese and US Blu-rays are completely cross-compatible, since they are now in the same region, and I imagine it would be a simple matter to get a Region 1 DVD player in Japan (if nothing else, you can buy an extra DVD drive for your computer).

Sure, if they start releasing series here a month or two after they do in Japan, most of the diehards in Japan are still going to buy the Japanese versions, due to the higher quality video, and earlier release date, and the OVAs (if the series has them and the US version doesn't), and not all series are going to be released 13 at a time in the States (although that seems to be the way things are headed), but you can pretty much forget any kind of casual market among knowledgeable JP consumers and the cheaper JP fans. And even for those who aren't all that cheap, ¥15693 versus ¥3856 + shipping (which isn't going to be anywhere near ¥12000) is a pretty damn good deal, and you get at least one more episode...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-04-28 at 23:47.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 13:17   Link #543
Sparvid
*hic*

In the interview on the latest ANNCast, Sherman said that they wanted to gimmick up the dub for Endless Eight, but were told to do it straight instead.

Darn. I usually don't care for dubs either way, but I think it could've added an extra layer of entertainment if they had been able to have some fun with those episodes in particular.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:32   Link #544
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
In the interview on the latest ANNCast, Sherman said that they wanted to gimmick up the dub for Endless Eight, but were told to do it straight instead.

Darn. I usually don't care for dubs either way, but I think it could've added an extra layer of entertainment if they had been able to have some fun with those episodes in particular.
Well, he did say that they were gonna make a few slight differences between each E8 iteration, if just to fit the mouth flaps.

And dang, I'm looking forward to hearing Johnny Young Bosch say "We have entered an endless recursion of time."

↑Click for MAL.↑
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 14:57   Link #545
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by @crispinfreeman
The actor who plays Hiro from Heroes just visited our Haruhi recording session! Now I know I'm in an endless time loop!
about 21 hours ago via Twitterrific
Time travel seems pretty popular these days.
Old 2010-05-10, 23:12   Link #546
Strife212

I don't have anything against dubs that are well done, some of them are even better than the original.

I don't watch Haruhi dubbed though purely because in my opinion the original japanese voice actors for Haruhi are too good. Everyone's voice is just right.

(I still bought the official dubbed DVD's though )
Strife212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 23:43   Link #547
TakariCritic

Great news everyone! A little while ago, I sent Bandai Entertainment a ticket inquiring them about releasing a Dubbed second season and Dissappearance.

Coincidentally, a couple days after I sent it in, they announced the second season dub. However, I received this message back:

Our customer support team personnel has replied to your support request #831003
Dear (TakariCritic),
Currently, we are planning to release both the second season and the theatrical feature for Haruhi. No dates are available at this time. Thank you for contacting Bandai Entertainment. This ticket will be closed.

All in all, looks like we'll be getting a Dubbed Disappearance as well!!!
TakariCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 23:49   Link #548
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Great news everyone! A little while ago, I sent Bandai Entertainment a ticket inquiring them about releasing a Dubbed second season and Dissappearance.

Coincidentally, a couple days after I sent it in, they announced the second season dub. However, I received this message back:

Our customer support team personnel has replied to your support request #831003
Dear (TakariCritic),
Currently, we are planning to release both the second season and the theatrical feature for Haruhi. No dates are available at this time. Thank you for contacting Bandai Entertainment. This ticket will be closed.

All in all, looks like we'll be getting a Dubbed Disappearance as well!!!
The correct line is actually usually "Good news, everyone!", but that is definitely great news... ^_^
Old 2010-05-11, 06:20   Link #549
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post

It'd be cool if they could do it as an extra. An alternative gag audio track for those episodes (or even just one of them) would be great. =)
Pixelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 10:31   Link #550
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The correct line is actually usually "Good news, everyone!", but that is definitely great news... ^_^
Actually, whenever Farnsworth says "Good news," it very typically isn't.

On-topic . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelation
It'd be cool if they could do it as an extra. An alternative gag audio track for those episodes (or even just one of them) would be great. =)
Well, they did say they had to change up the dialogue a bit to account for lip-flaps. I wouldn't be surprised if the dub gets some gimmicks in under the radar.
Old 2010-05-13, 13:03   Link #551
baltakatei

Spoiler for Twitter shenanigans:

Slowly but surely...
Old 2010-05-13, 20:29   Link #552
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You know, it'll be great if the DVD boxset included an English VA commentary of them spilling out their feelings of doing Endless Eight eight times.

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 23:01   Link #553
GDB

So Bandai played some random episodes during Otakon. Specifically, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight pt1 (I think they ran one or two other parts as well, but I went to lunch while they did), and Sigh pt4.

Wendee Lee couldn't quite get "angry Haruhi", but I don't really like how her Haruhi sounds normally anyway. Everyone else sounded great though, and the video quality looked quite sharp on their screen.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 21:19   Link #554
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I can't stop laughing.
Old 2010-10-15, 23:06   Link #555
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Ha, the dub looks like it'll be good, which is great. I noticed the user has a couple other ones on his channel. I wasn't planning on buying the series in 2 parts, but maybe if a single box set or something gets released down the line.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 03:42   Link #556
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Oh, HELL YES!

↑Click for MAL.↑
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 16:23   Link #557
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post

I can't stop laughing.
Hilarious

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-10-16 at 17:46.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 16:24   Link #558
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

INB4 obligatory didn't listen dubhater failpost...
Old 2010-10-16, 17:47   Link #559
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
INB4 obligatory didn't listen dubhater failpost...
is my post a failpost? Or was that directed to someone else (I suppose its directed to mine)
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 22:21   Link #560
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
is my post a failpost? Or was that directed to someone else (I suppose its directed to mine)
INB4 = "in before", meaning "in anticipation of some time in the future." It's something someone posts when they're making a prediction about something that will be posted, usually in order to identify that potential post as unoriginal and predictable, and thus dissuade the prospective poster from making that post. There's nothing wrong with your post, or anyone else's so far.