AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Old 2007-02-16, 00:54   Link #141
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

When I first heard the "Mikuru Beam", I didn't even realize that was a dub...

Wendee Lee's Haruhi is going to take some getting used to. >_< I like the effort with the enthusiasm in her voice, but it's still decidedly different from what we're used to. Given time, I think it'll work out though. I liked what she did in that scene with Mikuru and the computer club.

Crispin Freeman as Kyon was nice, I was cracking up when he was naming off the days for Haruhi's hairstyle. Didn't hear enough of Johnny Bosch as Itsuki, although what we heard wasn't bad at all. Yuki only said her name, that's hardly enough to judge her voice actor on.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 01:09   Link #142
Asrialys

Hard to judge Bosch's Itsuki on this video. Basically, it was terrible because of the equally terrible home-made movie. lol So we'll just have to wait till next week (if they talk about the same series) or the DVD release.

Aya Hirano's Haruhi has different tones. There was that bratty side. And at other times, she sounded slightly more mature. All we saw was Haruhi's eccentric side. We'll probably have to wait for the DVDs to see how Wendee Lee does the other scenes.

I don't think it was on the video, but any news on the DVD order? I think the R2 DVDs were in proper chronological order. If we get the same, then we'll be able to see how well Wendee does early.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 01:12   Link #143
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

If it means anything, the reviewers saw it in anachronological order. One of them was complaining about the order being confusing. They also commented a lot on the dubbing job. It's not conclusive, but this combined with the results of the asosbrigade poll makes me at least a little bit hopeful that it'll be anachronological.
Old 2007-02-16, 02:11   Link #144
Asrialys

I'm sure, as anime fans like us, that they are familiar with fansubs. But whatever. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 2007-02-16, 02:43   Link #145
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

My take is, if the American release is going to be in chronological order, then there really was no point to those reviewers complaining about the anachronological order to the series, as that would be a non-issue to American viewers.
Old 2007-02-16, 03:06   Link #146
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
My take is, if the American release is going to be in chronological order, then there really was no point to those reviewers complaining about the anachronological order to the series, as that would be a non-issue to American viewers.
Then again... I wonder if some of the reviewers watched the dub given to them, watched the DVDs given by the Japanese copyright owners, or watched the fansubs?

Because if they are really as hardcore as they claim, at least some of them would have seen the original fansub versions first, and quite possibly based their comments on those. (This assumes they aren't so hardcore that they are all fluent in Japanese, of course.)

Oh, just forget I asked...
Old 2007-02-16, 03:15   Link #147
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

I just have a feeling that "Jhony and his magical powers" will end up becoming a running gag with this lot.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 03:32   Link #148
quigonkenny
Omae wa mou binbou iru...

My opinion (for what it's worth) from what little was seen of the dub:

Shamisen: 7/10 - Quite Good. In the original Japanese, with Kenichi Ogata (Genma Saotome, Myouga) they went with a deep voice you wouldn't expect to see from a cat, and it definitely worked. In English, they do the same with Michael McConnohie (Samurai Champloo's Manzou "The Saw," Big O's Schwartzwald) to similar effect. They used a bit of an accent (there's a definite northeastern hint to it), but it worked well. I find it humorous that Yuki spoke two words in the entire preview, yet Shamisen got to speak nearly his entire dialogue.

Haruhi: 6/10 - Good, but inconclusive. It's not Hirano Aya, and doesn't sound all that similar. Wendee Lee's Haruhi sounds more mischievous, but that is likely more the choice of lines we got than anything. As mercurial as Haruhi's mood is, we just didn't get enough to get a solid picture. Beyond a stock "I'm Haruhi Suzumiya!" both her other lines were from the first Computer Club incident. On the translation side, there was a noticeable change to her one line from right before the "sekuhara," but it was well within the spirit of the original line (going by the A.F.K. translation), and not at all out of character, not to mention hella funny, so I'll let it slide. I'm willing to bet they're going to catch heat for every line that doesn't come word-for-word off of Baka-Tsuki or a fansub, though.

Tsuruya-san 0/10 - Hideous. Competely missing from the preview. Unforgivable.

Yuki -/- - Incomplete. She had one line. Two words. "Yuki Nagato." Unfortunately, that's a bad choice, as it's a name that definitely flows much better in the original Japanese order, and thus came off as more robotic than it should have been.

Kyon 9/10 - Very good. Again, just like Haruhi, there wasn't much to go on, but unlike Haruhi, nearly every one of Kyon's lines drips with either frustration, sarcasm, or both. Since we didn't hear him say "I think pony tails are hot," we got both sarcasm and frustration, so it's pretty easy to determine that Crispin Freeman will be able to pull it off. His read of the days of the week (from the first episode, describing Haruhi's hair) was especially priceless.

Itsuki 6/10 - Good, but inconclusive. The only lines we got from him were from Episode 00, so I couldn't tell anything beyond the fact that Jonny Yong Bosch does a good "bad acting" voice, but in their defense, any informative line from Itsuki would be either 5 minutes long, spoiler-filled, or both. We'll have to wait until episode 4 to get a good idea on him, but like Haruhi, it looks good.

Mikuru 10/10 - Perfect. Pretty much all the lines she spoke were from her dialogue in Episode 00, but unlike Itsuki, she's nearly exactly the same the rest of the series, and what we heard was spot on. It didn't hurt that those lines were nearly identical in English, but Ms. Sheh was definitely channelling Yuko Gotou. Her "Mikuru Beeeeam!" was great enough, but her multiple consecutive Mikuru Beams (from the end of Episode 00) were so perfectly pitiful they had me rolling on the floor in glee. Pure unadulterated WIN.

Overall score 7.5/10 - Quite good, but inconclusive, as expected from about 45 seconds (if that) of dialogue. The lack of Yuki lines doesn't surprise me (much the same with Itsuki, but for different reasons), but no Tsuruya-san frankly scares me. Don't they know it's all about the smoked cheese?
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 08:24   Link #149
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I suspect that they watched the fansubs, or the official English script follows the fansubs (whether because it really is the best translation or not). There's a mention of the "Supersize me!" scene.

There's an odd bit somewhere in there, during a rapid-fire barrage of clips, where a scene from the movie (with Koizumi just standing there) is shown, but instead of being 4:3 with black bars on the side, it's 16:9 and all stretched out. Every other scene from the movie is at 4:3, and that mistake was particularly jarring. I'm not sure if more such slip-ups were present.

The "viewer review" which panned MoHS (the one who hated it) felt very familiar, as though I had seen it before. I think it's the "mediocrity" line, since it's a relatively memorable word. I think I've seen it posted on various messageboards before, a while back, mostly as a link to something else and a call to "burn the infidel" or some such nonsense. Either it's one guy posting the same thing everywhere (unlikely), or people saw the original, and liked the turn of phrase enough to use it themselves.

Overall, I'm impressed with what I've seen of Kyon's dub, didn't even realize it was a dub for Mikuru's scenes, and a bit iffy on Koizumi's and Haruhi's dub. Mostly it was just the reviewers talking over each other in an incoherent babble, which I suppose adds to authenticity, but isn't that informative.
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 13:51   Link #150
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Agree 100% with the comments so far. I was prepared to accept some wide lee-way on Haruhi's voice, as long as she got the 'spirit' of Haruhi right. But I'm just not feeling it. She's channeling too much Faye Valentine. IE: Too much street-wise cockiness and not enough head-strong brattiness. A for effort though. I'll definitely be picking up the box set, regardless.

Also, word to the anime.tv guys: please PLEASE stop trying to be hip and edgy. It is painful to watch. The MTV-style multiple hand-held cameras, music-video-style opening, and ‘crazy’ attitude are just annoying. What this show needs is just a couple fat anime nerds, sitting behind a desk full of gundam figures, talking about anime (think screensavers, or better yet, DL.TV).

Last edited by AcroDave; 2007-02-16 at 18:18.
AcroDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 15:11   Link #151
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
Agree 100% with the comments so far. I was prepared to accept some wide lee-way on Haruhi's voice, as long as she got the 'spirit' of Haruhi right. But I'm just not feeling it. She's channeling too much Faye Valentine. IE: Too much street-wise iness and not enough head-strong brattiness. A for effort though. I'll definitely be picking up the box set, regardless.

Also, word to the anime.tv guys: please PLEASE stop trying to be hip and edgy. It is painful to watch. The MTV-style multiple hand-held cameras, music-video-style opening, and ‘crazy’ attitude are just annoying. What this show needs is just a couple fat anime nerds, sitting behind a desk full of gundam figures, talking about anime (think screensavers).
Heh, show up late enough to the party and everyone will have already covered all the points you were going to make

I also agree 100% with everything that's been said about the dub, especially about Mikuru's voice. I was thinking: "Wait, aren't they showing clips from the dub? " ... " Ooooh! "
And especially that last part about the AnimeTV show. Stop trying to be cool. Anime fans aren't cool, and we're cool with that. The thing that most disturbed me was when they listed their top five anime, which consisted of Haruhi, Evangelion, and other brilliant classics, only to stuff Bleach into the number one spot
Old 2007-02-16, 16:57   Link #152
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Except Haruhi wasn't on their top 5 list, I thought. Wasn't it mostly Miyazaki films? Meh, I think it's unfair to judge films on the same standard as TV anime...

Bleach is one of the better shonen series, IMHO, but there's no way I'd rate it that high. Then again, I didn't care at all for Evangeleon (blame Shinji for that).
Old 2007-02-17, 00:54   Link #153
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Except Haruhi wasn't on their top 5 list, I thought. Wasn't it mostly Miyazaki films? Meh, I think it's unfair to judge films on the same standard as TV anime...

Bleach is one of the better shonen series, IMHO, but there's no way I'd rate it that high. Then again, I didn't care at all for Evangeleon (blame Shinji for that).
You know what, you're right; Eva and Bleach were the only two items that I count as anime (Miyazaki himself doesn't like his work being labeled that). Dunno why I thought they listed Haruhi
Old 2007-02-17, 02:59   Link #154
Asrialys

Quote:
I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N I N V A S I O N
ANONYMOUS> It occurs in 1000 days, be ready
It's on the top right. What could possibly occur in 1000 days that's Haruhi related? Hm...
Old 2007-02-17, 03:14   Link #155
quigonkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
It's on the top right. What could possibly occur in 1000 days that's Haruhi related? Hm...
Dunno. Anybody got anything planned for November 12, 2009 that we ought to know about?
Old 2007-02-17, 03:18   Link #156
GyroidFanatic

Take off a 0 and try it again.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 04:17   Link #157
quigonkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
Take off a 0 and try it again.
If that's the case, they're still off by a day or two. 100 Days before May 29 would be Feb 18.
Old 2007-02-17, 09:02   Link #158
Asrialys

Well, still pretty close. Post in advance. Maybe they don't have work tomorrow?
Old 2007-02-17, 15:10   Link #159
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Maybe it's the release date for the first DVD?
Old 2007-02-18, 00:58   Link #160
quigonkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Maybe it's the release date for the first DVD?
It's "111 days" now. They're counting down in binary (darn humanoid interfaces). That would make it next Saturday (111bin=7dec).

Could be the next video.

And the release date for the first DVD is May 29.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2007-02-18 at 01:04. Reason: Added DVD release date.