AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-22, 19:26   Link #21
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkscythe View Post
the first episode will be a tokusatsu, I really looking forward for it. For the anime, not really.
Is that a special preview airing or something like that? Cause the raw is out already, but it was supposed to air the 28th.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 19:31   Link #22
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Prologue on 22nd, 1st episode 29th at 2:45am.
Old 2007-04-22, 21:34   Link #23
7Th
Mixtape

The AMAZING opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUxFdDjWKw
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 22:02   Link #24
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Wow. I was impressed by the prologue... To me, it had a very "American comic" feel to it, rather than standard manga. A number of plotlines were introduced already, and I'm very, very interested in what/who the Skull Man exactly is.

Plus I'm a sucker for the whole "dark hero" bit.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:21   Link #25
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Darn it. I should have paid more attention to the earlier posts. I excitedly dl'ed the first episode of Skull Man which turns out to be the live-action version. What a turn off.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:49   Link #26
Jubei_Asaemon

Although I would already be giving this a shot based on the title and cheese factor alone, the live action opening and trailer posted on youtube have sold me on the series. I'll be delighted if any group decides to pick up this series, as it is definitely a bit too esoteric when compared to the rest of the spring seasons' offerings.
Jubei_Asaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 00:13   Link #27
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Wow!!!

That prologue was sweeet!

But is this title pre-licensed? Geneon is one of the sponsors.
Old 2007-04-24, 21:54   Link #28
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I haven't heard anything about it being pre-licensed. The prologue did prompt me to track down volumes 1 and 2 of the manga, which is apparently out of print. /./

edit: the second version, not the original...

Last edited by the.Merines; 2007-04-26 at 14:24.
the.Merines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 06:51   Link #29
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Darn it. I should have paid more attention to the earlier posts. I excitedly dl'ed the first episode of Skull Man which turns out to be the live-action version. What a turn off.
Lol I did the exact same thing, however I kind of enjoyed it (maybe because I don't watch much j-drama). The dystopian feel of the setting and the atmosphere was quite well done. Though some the acting left much to be desired and I found myself laughing at the bit on the train, even though it wasn't meant to be funny. The CG was a bit ropey, especially at the end with the monster.

I guess it sets up the basic concept of the show which is not what I expected. Skullman comes across as a bug killer rather than the dark anti-hero I expected, as least in this prequel. And I somehow doubt the anime can make much impact with Darker Than Black doing its thing so amazingly well, but let's see what Bones can do with it.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 00:20   Link #30
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screens for episode 1: Well as you said, I'm not yet sold on the story, but the background imagery is quite detailed. Animation is also fluid. Judging from episode 1, the story does have potential even if it is about some emo hero who wears mask, probably because he is too handsome or too ugly for his own good (just like every other super heroes/villains who wear masks). Will give the series two more episodes. The show also has a few non-chalant shock value. Look out for them.

Old 2007-04-29, 00:46   Link #31
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Turn off? The live action kick ass! Especially the fight scene. The live action OP owns the anime version.

Rider Skull JUMP! Rider Skull KICK!

Last edited by Flo; 2007-04-29 at 01:03.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 02:13   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I actually find this opening kind of generic sounding. Hopefully it's spruced up for the actual animated series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 05:23   Link #33
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

They used the same OP for the anime, but with different and better visuals. The drama's OP wasn't bad, just a bit too comic book for my liking. Anyway ep 1 was actually I lot better than expected, it was certainly enjoyable but was mainly focussed on character intros...

Spoiler for Skullman episode one:

It might seem that the animation is by Bones' B-Team but that may be little unfair. The backgrounds are gorgeously detailed and the character animation is solid. True it's not as slick as Darker Than Black and feels at times a bit like an old Bones' series with it's humour. Anyway I enjoyed it and will watch it for a few more eps, if not the whole thing. It's only 13 eps, so if the story turns out to be intriguing enough, should be fun.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 17:08   Link #34
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

SkullMan does somewhat remind me of Ghost Rider : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
i just read that Shiro Sagisu (Bleach) is doing the music! that should be good!!
Thats really great new we can be gauranteed of a good background score and ost .
Old 2007-04-30, 09:56   Link #35
wrex_japan

Quote:
Screens for episode 1: Well as you said, I'm not yet sold on the story, but the background imagery is quite detailed. Animation is also fluid. Judging from episode 1, the story does have potential even if it is about some emo hero who wears mask, probably because he is too handsome or too ugly for his own good (just like every other super heroes/villains who wear masks). Will give the series two more episodes. The show also has a few non-chalant shock value. Look out for them.

Summary and screenshots of ep. 1

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a couple of episodes too... focusing on a reporter as the main character may be a bit of a gamble... but the story grew on me the second time I watched it.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 21:37   Link #36
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Maybe we'll see it partially from the reporter's point of view to get some background info, move the plot along and keep Skull Man's true identity in the dark for as long as possible. We're so lucky that the mother of all spoilers was removed. Thanks monir.

Still no fansub yet.
Old 2007-04-30, 21:46   Link #37
wao
OK.

I'm also going to sit and wait for a while, give it a few eps maybe. The background details were nice - the details of the room, the height of whatshisname in his old home, the olden-times feel of the attire and the smoke and all the nice stuff - but the directing and pacing of the story itself really did nothign to me. It was solid, but... I kind of was left with the feeling "ok, so...?" at the end. It's probably just me being biased but there was something about the really.. standard? way of directing that turned me off a bit. I guess I'm biased against Takeshi Mori but having watched some of his previous stuff...

It's probably too early to judge now though, so I'll definitely hang around for a while. I wonder what the heck they'd do with 13 eps.

Oh, and I'm not one for hating on female sidekicks but whatshername really felt like an annoying anime cliche and even an anomaly over here... IMO, anyway.
Old 2007-05-01, 21:52   Link #38
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex_japan View Post
Summary and screenshots of ep. 1

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a couple of episodes too... focusing on a reporter as the main character may be a bit of a gamble... but the story grew on me the second time I watched it.
WreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeX! You actually took me seriously. Very cool entry! A lot of the things are starting to make sense now. Thankie Wrex!
Old 2007-05-01, 23:58   Link #39
DangerMouse

This looks really cool so I hope a fansub group will give it a chance. The live action ep 0 was quite neat too.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 02:53   Link #40
darkscythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
SkullMan does somewhat remind me of Ghost Rider : D

skullman is older than ghost rider anyway
darkscythe is offline   Reply With Quote