AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2007-01-10, 03:55   Link #41
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

THIS, I am hoping for. Heavily. More than anything else announced for 2007.

http://www.skullman.jp/
Old 2007-01-10, 05:13   Link #42
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post

Why? What do you like so much about it?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 06:54   Link #43
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post

Looks like a spawn wannbe.
Mask is cool the knife & outfit just make the mask look bad.

----
I just want another season of Suzumiya Haruhi, or another relaxing series like it.
Old 2007-01-10, 07:30   Link #44
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

^

.........PHAIL. Spawn was created in the 90s, while Skull Man was created in 1970.

Well, I suppose it is hard to like many things about Skull Man if one isn't a SHOTARO ISHINOMORI and KAMEN RIDER fan. After all, Skull Man is acclaimed to be the original basis for the legendary Kamen Rider franchise, only darker and bloodier.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 08:08   Link #45
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I'm looking forward to Skull Man too, though I'm not a KR fan. Thankfully Bones seem to be opting for a 'Batman Begins' style dark brooding mystery about a brutal anti-hero.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 22:03   Link #46
Nergol

Quote:
And Lucky Star looks promising.
As Bullet Tooth Tony said: "Ooh, I love this track".
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 01:19   Link #47
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Well, I suppose it is hard to like many things about Skull Man if one isn't a SHOTARO ISHINOMORI and KAMEN RIDER fan. After all, Skull Man is acclaimed to be the original basis for the legendary Kamen Rider franchise, only darker and bloodier.
- I'm a big Kamen Rider fan, which is why. Apparently, Kamen Rider: The First movie was one of the reasons they want to give Skullman a try.

And don'tg worry, I'm not offended. I'm used to people telling me that Zeta Gundam is a ripoff of the Murasame. I think I can handle people telling me that Skullman is a ripoff of Spawn that somehow time-travelled back to the 1970's...
Old 2007-01-11, 04:59   Link #48
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'm also a big Kamen Rider fan, especially ones in the direction Kamen Rider has been going ever since the 2nd generation...I love the original Riders because they hold a special place in my childhood growing up...alongside WWF and old-school anime, but I've always thought the the direction the Kamen Rider franchise embarks into is a very good thing, especially the approach with Ryuuki and Faiz. Ryuuki was a human drama of human selfishness and greed at it's best while Faiz executed a lot of things really well...even if the last few episodes weren't as good. Kabuto is a solid series as well.

Though Minami Kotaro and Hongo/Hayato will always be iconic in my own heart.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 01:10   Link #49
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

I actually didn't start until the original Kamen Rider Black, but went back to the originalRider series when I could. "The First" is probably my dream come true (The double Riders portrayed realistically). While the other riders were nice, I actually prefer the darker Rider stories (still trying to find someone with the Shin Kamen Rider movie), so naturally I'd be attractedto the Skullman concept.

In fact, IMHO if there is a US Comic Book character that is possibly close to the Skullman, it would probably be Matt Wagner's Grendel. Both are very sinister characters, both very amoral, the difference being that Skullman considers himself a hero (albeit one who doesn't think sacrificing the innocent is a bad thing). If they could pull this off right, the Skullman animation should not only be visually gorgeous and creepy,it should also have a very strong character-driven story. Especially given the moodand political climate of today.

I mean, where do you draw the line between justice and obsession? When are innocent bystanders considered acceptable collateral damage? Does being on the side of right automatically mean you can kill whoever you please?

I'm hoping Skullman will not dissapoint, and be THAT kind of story.
Old 2007-01-13, 11:16   Link #50
wao
OK.

Why is the forum layout looking so messed up...?

Hm.

Anyway, you all fail for not mentioning Dennou Coil. (Either that or I fail for not reading properly.)

I guess it's remaining largely unknown because very little in the way of information and promotional images are being released... and the name Mitsuo Iso doesn't ring a bell in most people's heads. Although he was one of the most important animators for masterpieces like Eva and RahXephon #15 and is said to have influenced myriads of other animators... and because I've been taking a extended break from looking at sakuga threads and digging up stuff I don't know enough about the show to idiotically make noise about this show in the hopes that someone else would notice it.

Well. I won't say any more, except that for those of you out there who care about looking for real animation and potentially amazing, fresh and honest storytelling - I think you won't be disappointed by checking this out. And I have nearly 100% faith in the team that they will bring something worth more than just watching. At the least this should be an interesting collaboration of a few animators here and there... and at the most it could be... well, I dunno - a visual orgy of all sorts of good animators chipping in under the helm of Iso.

I know it all sounds so superficial because I'm only talking about the visual/production aspect of it, but I don't know how to express what I want to say about the story. (points to sig for excuse)

Other stuff I am looking forward to include
Seirei no Moribito
(EYE CANDY+++... and fun!)
Emma Season 2 (I loved Emma, so duh!)
Moonlight Mile (I hope the content is good, though I am a bit doubtful about the production)
Bokurano (Great staff, plus I've heard so much good stuff about teh manga, and it has an interesting premise)

Stuff I'll be keeping an eye on:
Darker than Black - Kuro no Keiyakusha (Bones plus potentially my-type-of-guy male lead? Hm.)
Romeo x Juliet (Such a pretty and indulgent trailer. I think this show might be like chocolate. Addictive but not good for your health in large doses. I like chocolate...)
Terra e... (Want to see what Minami-machi Bugyousho will do with this.)
Gurenn Lagann (EYE CANDY. Full stop. Why the hell else?)
Old 2007-01-13, 11:29   Link #51
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Anyway, you all fail for not mentioning Dennou Coil. (Either that or I fail for not reading properly.)
Some idea of a story might help I suppose I couldn't find anything beyond the outdated webpage which now confirms the 2007 release.
Old 2007-01-14, 14:06   Link #52
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Why is the forum layout looking so messed up...?

Hm.

I guess it's remaining largely unknown because very little in the way of information and promotional images are being released... and the name Mitsuo Iso doesn't ring a bell in most people's heads. Although he was one of the most important animators for masterpieces like Eva and RahXephon #15 and is said to have influenced myriads of other animators... and because I've been taking a extended break from looking at sakuga threads and digging up stuff I don't know enough about the show to idiotically make noise about this show in the hopes that someone else would notice it.

Well. I won't say any more, except that for those of you out there who care about looking for real animation and potentially amazing, fresh and honest storytelling - I think you won't be disappointed by checking this out. And I have nearly 100% faith in the team that they will bring something worth more than just watching. At the least this should be an interesting collaboration of a few animators here and there... and at the most it could be... well, I dunno - a visual orgy of all sorts of good animators chipping in under the helm of Iso.

I know it all sounds so superficial because I'm only talking about the visual/production aspect of it, but I don't know how to express what I want to say about the story. (points to sig for excuse)

Other stuff I am looking forward to include
Seirei no Moribito
(EYE CANDY+++... and fun!)
Emma Season 2 (I loved Emma, so duh!)
Moonlight Mile (I hope the content is good, though I am a bit doubtful about the production)
Bokurano (Great staff, plus I've heard so much good stuff about teh manga, and it has an interesting premise)

Stuff I'll be keeping an eye on:
Darker than Black - Kuro no Keiyakusha (Bones plus potentially my-type-of-guy male lead? Hm.)
Romeo x Juliet (Such a pretty and indulgent trailer. I think this show might be like chocolate. Addictive but not good for your health in large doses. I like chocolate...)
Terra e... (Want to see what Minami-machi Bugyousho will do with this.)
Gurenn Lagann (EYE CANDY. Full stop. Why the hell else?)
You got it, I totally forgot Dennou Coil was stated for this year. Iso is someone to watch out for since his amazingly directed/animated/scripted episode of RahXephon, which was easily the best in the whole series. A full-thought production by him cannot be other thing than awesome.

And Gurenn Lagann also escaped my list. It's by Hiroyuki MotherFucking Imaishi, so my hype for it is through the roof.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 07:43   Link #53
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Very well, Dennou Coil it is then.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 14:18   Link #54
Ryota Hayami
Ciel Blue

Im waiting for the beck dub to come out.
Old 2007-01-15, 14:28   Link #55
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Anyway, you all fail for not mentioning Dennou Coil. (Either that or I fail for not reading properly.
You know, when I first saw this today I thought it was a promo for Dennou Coil.

Anyway...after I picked my jaw off the carpet (and rewatched it a dozen times) I found out it's a promo for a possible future anime called Cencoroll. So another expectation for 2007 would be to see this announced officially.
Old 2007-01-15, 16:05   Link #56
Kaijin
かいじん

Unfortunately there is loads I wanna see, which makes my "currently watching" list impossibly long (since I am also watching older series too)

Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Darker than Black
Deltora Quest
Devil May Cry
Getsumen to Heiki Mina
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
Nodame Cantabile (watching now...hehehe)
Seirei no Moribito
Skullman
Venus vs. Virus
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou

Who knows, I may watch all, I may drop some after one episode, but these have peeked my curiousity, so I'm gonna check them out.
Old 2007-01-16, 03:00   Link #57
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
You know, when I first saw this today I thought it was a promo for Dennou Coil.

Anyway...after I picked my jaw off the carpet (and rewatched it a dozen times) I found out it's a promo for a possible future anime called Cencoroll. So another expectation for 2007 would be to see this announced officially.
Well, looks like you got your wish. See this post by Neosam.

Thanks for the link btw, that looked great. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 08:33   Link #58
wao
OK.

7th: I was actually thinking exactly of you when I wrote that I know you tend to look out for good creators and so on, so I was surprised you didn't mention Dennou Coil. Well I'm glad you're reminded of it, and you're spot on for Gurenn Lagann... It's HiroyukifuckingImaishi, that makes at least the first episode mandatory watching just to see what the hell happens.

Sonhex: That's precisely the problem - there isn't anything in the way of a promotional video or anything released for Dennou Coil.

Although it seems that the story is roughly about the intermixing of old temples and a sophisticated computer network. The website's blurb says that the family of Okonogi (?) Yasako, a 6th grade elementary student, was living a normal and peaceful life with her father, mother and younger sister, and then just before the summer holidays they moved to Ooguro City where her grandmother lived. It was an old city with a distinctive history, with lines of all sorts of shrines and temples; but it also used to be a specially designated area meant to be equipped with the latest computer technology...

Spoiler for More thoughts:

But I think that for once my faith in Mitsuo Iso is well-placed; especially since this is an original story good enough to be backed by NHK, and he's actually been working on this for fourteen years (information once again courtesy of the excellent Ben at AniPages). For someone whose skill I do not doubt, to work on something for so long and to create such great images throughout the years means that there's a high chance that it will be good, at the very least.

And now that I have said my piece I will leave the rest of you in peace... or whatever... pardon my long-winded hyperbole, if you would call it that...

Last edited by wao; 2007-01-16 at 08:47.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 20:43   Link #59
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
But I think that for once my faith in Mitsuo Iso is well-placed; especially since this is an original story good enough to be backed by NHK, and he's actually been working on this for fourteen years (information once again courtesy of the excellent Ben at AniPages). For someone whose skill I do not doubt, to work on something for so long and to create such great images throughout the years means that there's a high chance that it will be good, at the very least.
Ben's new post on Dennou Coil made my heart all warm as well. It's incredible to read about how big anime producers got interested on a rather unknow project with no proven chances of comercial success on drawings and concept alone.

Also, I see you remember my ancient thread in the recommendations forum asking for some sakuga anime.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 02:35   Link #60
TsubasaSeraphina

I can't believe the Kiminozo OVA hasn't been mentioned at all. I'm definatley anticipating this~ In addition:

Devil May Cry (well, how can they screw it up?)
The Dissapearance of Suzumiya Haruhi (I totally loved SHnY, so I'm looking forward to this alot)
Shoujo Cossette (Sounds good, and it's slim pickings for me this season, being as I'm not big on the hyper-moe thing we're seening alot of latley)
Bokurano (It sounds fairly interesting)

And of course, I'm awaiting Tsubasa Chronicle season 3....
I love you; my chest fills up
I want to cry out to the winter sky
I want to see you now
~Eternal Snow
TsubasaSeraphina is offline   Reply With Quote