AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-03, 10:35   Link #21
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i did loads of barokai when i was younger, my dad was a millitary soldier in Indonesia, basicly taking martial arts is something you have to do according to him, so i did, i had 4 years of Barokai before my teacher retired, which was pretty crappy cause he was the only barokai teacher in our region, after that my dad homeschooled me with lose moves, such as sword fighting and loads of killing moves, by that meaning choking an opponent with random objects around the house such as tooth floss wires XD and killing people in 1 hit
Ohhh you would make a wondeful wife, I'll be sure not to get you mad in the bathroom touhg...

Im also asmatic...so I know how you feel...its really sucks
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 10:58   Link #22
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Ah, the one hit kill move. What's the chance of you actually killing someone... especially with a tooth floss wire. The chance of that is very slim to none, to have an encounter with someone worth staining your hands for.

Long long time ago martial arts use to a means to harmonize oneself with nature and surrounding (talking about the origin of Chinese martial arts then spawning into Japanese arts and the rest of world killing techniques). It was a peaceful teaching for better health and living but now with the UFC and all those other competition it has become a gladiator tournament for entertainment.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 12:18   Link #23
Fome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Ah, the one hit kill move. What's the chance of you actually killing someone... especially with a tooth floss wire. The chance of that is very slim to none, to have an encounter with someone worth staining your hands for.

Long long time ago martial arts use to a means to harmonize oneself with nature and surrounding (talking about the origin of Chinese martial arts then spawning into Japanese arts and the rest of world killing techniques). It was a peaceful teaching for better health and living but now with the UFC and all those other competition it has become a gladiator tournament for entertainment.
Nah, Martial Arts were always designed for fighting. The spiritual aspect came later when buddhist philosophy became mixed in, which was later followed by taoist philosophy.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 12:25   Link #24
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Ah, you're right, I forgot all about the dynasty warriors games... lol.

True the origin of martial arts were traced back to the need for self defense and military training. So just ignore my other post.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 13:08   Link #25
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Ah, the one hit kill move. What's the chance of you actually killing someone... especially with a tooth floss wire. The chance of that is very slim to none, to have an encounter with someone worth staining your hands for.
i know, somehow my ad forced me to learn several things.. lemme tell you how things went in Indonesia.. piss someone off and see them walking to the trunk of their car you should start running because thats when they grap their huge knife they use to chop bushes out of their way in the rain forest to kill you.. basicly saying my dad went to rough stuff and feels its important to know such things about his time, just like the part where he taught me how to roast tarantula's and how to catch snakes.. here in holland the only spidr youll ever catch is the size of a grape.. but heck.. main point was that i know how to defend myself in case somehting happens, my neighbourhood is pretty rough you see..

probably the main reason for martial arts is so i can ventelate all my stress and anger, i used to be teased tons when i was a kid, from kinder garden to my 2nd year in highschool, count a incest problem on it and a maniac sister who almost made my parents go into divorce and youll have me.. basicly saying if i snap.. you should start running.. ive had numerous problems with psychiatry before i did martial arts.. i even stabbed one with a pen cause he pissed me off with his questions.. though i hardly remember those times but when i hear about it i go O.O; , it slowlly came into change when a turned my whole life around, id id martial arts, leard about respect the indonesian way and it kinda paid off though.. the teasing stopped when some kid eventually tried to kick me down some stairs at school.. i snapped turned around punched him, took him in a head lock and almost drowned him in a deep puddle of mud.. though i had excuse myself to the parents.. was suspended for several days but heck i got my reputation as a freak and people left me alone
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 14:48   Link #26
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i know, somehow my ad forced me to learn several things..
Well that makes sense, if I was a parent I would teach my kids self defense and survival as well. Never know one day they might need it and you won't be around to support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
my neighbourhood is pretty rough you see..
I don't consider my neighborhood rough even though my childhood was surrounded with constant fights but that's just kids having fun. It's healthy for kids to get bruises and bumps, makes them stronger. When I was ten I was fending off eleven people (the most people I had to fight at once in my entire life... so far) at the same time getting drag through dirt and mud. But that's life for you, and life isn't fair. Another time I was robbed for a nickel... 5 cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
probably the main reason for martial arts is so i can ventelate all my stress and anger,
It's a good way to relieve stress, the people you meet and the competitions. Love the comps, had my nose broken twice, once by a girl and the other by a steel rod to the face. But it's the adrenaline that's amazing, once you get into the flow... I can't explain the feeling. But if you watched "Fight Club" you'd understand what I'm saying.

Well to sum it all up, we're all humans after all, everyone has their own limits. Some are capable of handling stress and anger better than others. Hopefully some of us have enough common sense to steer away from unnecessary violence. Then again I use to live with a golden glove boxer and we use to fight every night after school (most incompatible roommates ). We hated each other's guts but at the same time we had each other's back.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 16:19   Link #27
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post


I don't consider my neighborhood rough even though my childhood was surrounded with constant fights but that's just kids having fun. It's healthy for kids to get bruises and bumps, makes them stronger. When I was ten I was fending off eleven people (the most people I had to fight at once in my entire life... so far) at the same time getting drag through dirt and mud. But that's life for you, and life isn't fair. Another time I was robbed for a nickel... 5 cent.


he he i dont think getting rocks thrown at your head on a weekly basis just because people think they die when you touch em isnt anything normal
by rough i mean, theres loads of dangerous people around, doing drugs and such and i bring around mail during the day, i do cathalogs and telephone books for old ladies and such alike and used to bring around in one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods in my town, i see people deal drugs and types of people you can only look at once before they shout at you for looking again, though when i was young i hardly fought with people, i always locked myself up at home because i never had friends and everyone wuld throw rocks at me or call me names, thus i am still a little socialphobic in times, but about 3 years ago i finally became friends with sevral people from my school and i was able to be myself, when you first see me youll think im shy, silent and a bookworm.. but heck thats seriously not what i am, a bookworm yes, but basicly saying i live in my own world and make up wacky theories about everything and make people laugh, martial arts learned me to be myself, the first friend i ever mae that changed everything around was my doggie my mom took me to a farm where they had 16 labrador rotweiler crossings and i just fell in love with one dog from sight, took him home, taught him everything and we became buddies, simply said my dog was the first one that stood up for me, when i was around 12 i was befriend with this 18 year old guy who wanted to sleep with me, i was almost taken to his house unwillingly untill i yelled and my dog bit him right between the legs, followed by some of my punches the dude was KO XD ill never forget that, basicly it was the first time i had ever punched someone outside the dojo
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 16:55   Link #28
Fome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The way I see it, martial arts as a killing method is no longer viable in a civilized world. At least where I'm from, you can't just kill people without facing trial and jail time. This makes the most effective movements in many styles just pointless. Nor is it really viable as "self defense," because the act of defending oneself violently is prone to causing backlashes out of vengeance. The best defense is to avoid the confrontation altogether.

I see martial arts now more as exercise and sport, and above all, just something cool you can show people.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 18:19   Link #29
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
The way I see it, martial arts as a killing method is no longer viable in a civilized world.
True some would say martial arts is a barbaric sense of killing method. Well with the new age comes new method of killing, with a press of a button or a phone call, a nation or a country could be erase. Who needs face to face combat when we have guns and weaponry of destruction, learning to kill from a distant if that's what you call a civilized world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
At least where I'm from, you can't just kill people without facing trial and jail time.
But where I'm from the US President is capable of killing as much people as he wants as long as it's for a just reason. I guess it's determined by who you know and what you say that can make killing legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Nor is it really viable as "self defense," because the act of defending oneself violently is prone to causing backlashes out of vengeance. The best defense is to avoid the confrontation altogether.
I absolutely agree, the best defense would be to avoid the confrontation. But if the situation escalated and a threat stood before you, your last means of survival would be self defense. There's no limit on self defense. Your life is at stake and if that means taking a life to preserve your own, it's something you would have to consider within a short amount of time.

At least that's what I've been taught, hesitation will be the killer.

EDIT:

Of course it's also based on the situation at hand, everyone must use their own common sense to measure how much force is needed (or not) to solve a situation.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 02:37   Link #30
Sankari
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Self defence is double-edged sword. Atleast in here, if you are training martial arts, your hands and feet are considered weapons.

For example guy A attacks you who has had no martial art training, guy B(you) kick his ass and he gets injured, talks to the cops or in the hospital tells about you. Cops will come and most likely arrest you if he's badly injured, look your background, and in the worst case scenario, make you go in trial for beating someone up even if it was self defence. It would naturally be different if the situation really needed self defence, like a guy threatening you with a knife or gun and you couldn't run away.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 02:42   Link #31
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
Self defence is double-edged sword. Atleast in here, if you are training martial arts, your hands and feet are considered weapons.

For example guy A attacks you who has had no martial art training, guy B(you) kick his ass and he gets injured, talks to the cops or in the hospital tells about you. Cops will come and most likely arrest you if he's badly injured, look your background, and in the worst case scenario, make you go in trial for beating someone up even if it was self defence. It would naturally be different if the situation really needed self defence, like a guy threatening you with a knife or gun and you couldn't run away.
Where do you live at, that your hands and feet must be registered as potentially deadly weapons? I thought that was just a Chuck Norris fact.

And the best self-defense is to run. Use your hands and feet to create some distance, then run like hell. I mean, if someone was trying to rob you and you managed to knock him down, why wouldn't you use the opportunity to escape? It's safer that way, as well -- you never know if the would-be assailant will pull out a knife next.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 03:07   Link #32
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I do a full body workout twice times a day, one hour each time, with an additional hour of cardio (swimming, running, or climbing).
With resistance training, do a few sets of 8 x Max-10lb or so, and you'll gain bulk and weight in no time. Since you have a fast metabolism, I'm assuming you have a fast body recovery too.
That's not going to add any significant muscle mass at all.

You're describing how to build lean muscle, since you work out for apparently three hours a day. Plus, that's WAY overtraining.

To gain muscle mass, the generally accepted way is to use heavier weights.

But if you're starting out weightlifting, take it easy and go slow. Like in practicing martial arts, correct form is the most important. If you start on the bench press and strap too much weight onto it, you'll squirm your back around and likely end up hurting yourself, for example.

Start off slow, if you're a beginner use very light weights until you get used to the range of motion. Once you've got a fairly solid feel for where things are, consult someone smarter than me.

And most importantly, don't hit the gym every day. Give your body rest, so it can recover and rebuild itself. When you overexercise, your body can't recover. Start at one or two days a week, then move on to three or four. I'm aiming for five, but two of those days will be cardio-only, no touching weights.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 03:49   Link #33
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I should've clarified. By 8 x Max-10lb, I meant 8 reps of 10 pounds less than your maximum, not a maximum of 10 lb.

It's probably overtraining for some people, but as I said, I have very fast recovery rate (I can hit max multiple times within 2 minutes of rest). I've gained 10 lbs of muscle mass since beginning that routine about 6 months ago.

I weigh 128 lb right now.

Bench: 170 lb (50 lb improvement)
Dip: 225 lb (100 lb improvement)
Bicep Curl: 45 lb per arm (25 lb improvement)
Chest Fly: 155 lb (90 lb improvement)

Also, gaining muscle mass doesn't require you to do heavy resistance. Some generalized numbers:
2-3 reps, 2-3 sets of max will give you strength.
6-8 reps, 4-5 sets of 80-80% will give you bulk.
10+ reps, 2-3 sets of 40-60% body weight will give you endurance.

With regards to overtraining again, I know some people who spend over 6 hours a day in the gym. Following standardized guidelines, I've found out, is a good way to start but not a good way to end. It's always best to figure out what's good for you by yourself.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 16:26   Link #34
Kvikveg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Hm. Martial arts.

Half year Sotokan, but it was not my case. It proved that I am able to run a few circles in the gym without dying.

Now Hapkido, I began it 2 years ago, but I am there only once a week, sometimes 0 times a week, so... I am still a beginner sort of. And I am getting now fed up because of several things. They are not serious problems, but enough to make me hesitate.

Aaand I just started Iaido and Jodo a few months ago. It is fun to do. SWORD in my hands. Ok, only made of wood.
Kvikveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 22:31   Link #35
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gensokyo
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
Martial arts, eh?

Well, since I'm a Malaysian, I do silat -- more specificially, Silat Cekak Hanafi. I had joined one of the classes last year, before I quit (I didn't have the commitment needed, which was bad for me ).
__________________
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 04:04   Link #36
Sankari
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Where do you live at, that your hands and feet must be registered as potentially deadly weapons? I thought that was just a Chuck Norris fact.

And the best self-defense is to run. Use your hands and feet to create some distance, then run like hell. I mean, if someone was trying to rob you and you managed to knock him down, why wouldn't you use the opportunity to escape? It's safer that way, as well -- you never know if the would-be assailant will pull out a knife next.
Finland. Its really messed up in here sometimes with the laws, but the legal system works here (outside really light punishments). First timer can get out with murder in around 4 years usually. If the way the murder was done was really cruel, it could take 8-10 years however. 8-10 years is fine but 4 years because of murder is rather light IMO. Most of these guys murder again when they get out.

Running is always the best option but when you are out other options its time to defend yourself, there's nothing else you can do at this point if talking won't work either.

I have witnessed fights that have been going the "right" way, a man has defended himself after getting assaulted, put the assaulter to the ground and when he lets go and starts moving away, the assaulter pulls out a knife because of being a wuss and can't do anything else. Luckily the man who defended himself ran away fast enough.

I'm not sure if 'consired deadly weapons' is the right term but you are considered to be in better position than the other guy because you have trained martial arts (few martial arts really work in street fight however). Better to run anyway or not get worked out because of someone who provokes you. I usually just ignore people who try to pick a fight, and hope for them to go away. I'm really hot tempered however in some cases that if someone punches me, I don't think I can hold back.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 12:32   Link #37
whatever123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtkrieg View Post
I do Kyokushin, it's a traditionnal form of karate. It's fun but I've got a pretty rough sensei. So sometimes its a bit painful.
I have done some competition but it was always semi-contact competition, wich mean the technic is the most important factor and we use protection gear. I want to do a full-contact competition this year.

since when do kyokushin has a semi-contact competition, they used to be strictly full contact?
__________________
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 19:06   Link #38
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
since when do kyokushin has a semi-contact competition, they used to be strictly full contact?
I'm not a karateka, but I would guess full-contact sparring is only allowed at a certain level. I certainly wouldn't put two rookies together and have them start wailing on each other -- if they don't know what they're doing, the injury list can add up pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari
Running is always the best option but when you are out other options its time to defend yourself, there's nothing else you can do at this point if talking won't work either.

I have witnessed fights that have been going the "right" way, a man has defended himself after getting assaulted, put the assaulter to the ground and when he lets go and starts moving away, the assaulter pulls out a knife because of being a wuss and can't do anything else. Luckily the man who defended himself ran away fast enough.
Agreed. Sometimes you can't talk yourself out of a situation, and in those times it would be better to know how to defend yourself.

And re: your second point, that's exactly the scenario I'm describing. You acted in self-defense, you knocked your assaulter down, now run like hell. If the defender had instead jumped on top of the guy, to keep beating him up, the knife could have come into play during the fight instead of after.

Or the guy's friends might be nearby, and then instead of one-on-one it's five-on-one. There's very few reasons to keep fighting.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 02:17   Link #39
whatever123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I'm not a karateka, but I would guess full-contact sparring is only allowed at a certain level. I certainly wouldn't put two rookies together and have them start wailing on each other -- if they don't know what they're doing, the injury list can add up pretty quickly.
you are right, but the thing is kyokushin karate always took pride in being full contact karate with no protection (except at the groin), so that people who were not at that certain level for fullcontact sparring should work real hard to reach that level so that they can compete.
__________________
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 21:36   Link #40
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
I think the MMA stuff is cool, but I like boxing better. I also was on the wrestling team, so I know how to wrestle fairly well. I'm also a powerlifter which has nothing to do with fighting, but there seems to be a discussion about lifting going on here too. Usually do low reps for the big movements (squat, bench, deadlift) and then stabilizer muscle work.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.