AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-06, 12:52   Link #301
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Xellos, you're aware that you're pretty much spoiling quite a bit? ^_^;

Besides, what you refer to will probably be shown in ep2.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 12:56   Link #302
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Xellos, you're aware that you're pretty much spoiling quite a bit? ^_^;

Besides, what you refer to will probably be shown in ep2.
The comments about the fight was a bit spoilrish but Loli-tentacles. Unless someone has read the manga I dodubt the know what i am talking about.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:15   Link #303
D a m i e n
permanentely bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: France
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Berserk truly shine when it get into Guts' past. Before that, some people just deemed as "Hokuto no Ken" gets a huge sword and meets "The Blood and The Flesh ", and I am speaking from personal experience because I got a lot of troubles to get my friends to read it because of that.

So I would not be so fast at judging the thing just from reading the two first volumes.

Otherwise, I would not have read "Lord of the Rings" beyond the "About the Hobbits" chapter.
Berserk, i was told not to watch episode 1 before watching the whole show wich made watching berserk one of my best anime experience.
i m basing my comments only about what i have saw from episodem just like you it s 1 big swordm blood & flesh. From what i have read in the book i m not excpecting much YET. yet being the catch word. the manga berserker sucked the first few volumes and started getting awsome later one.
so i m reserving my judgement until later.
i m just giving a grade with out letting what i know from the manga interferring.
__________________
Outside of a dog reading is man's best friend, inside it s too dark to read...
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:43   Link #304
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yuri Land
Age: 28
k...this aint my best artwork..but i was at a point of no return when i realised that the proportions were in a mess. Hopefully u guys will like it. Its an original pic for Claymore and totally hand drawn by me.

PS: Maybe I should have just copied my avatar..but i wanted an original..neway..ENJOY



NOTE: Clare proportions arent well done and Raki is according to manga style..NOT the anime style. I tried to follow the CLAYMORE mangaka's style..hope i managed to do some good work
__________________

Last edited by toxic_trance; 2007-04-06 at 13:55.
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:55   Link #305
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
pretty conventionnal anime, dark "cold" hearted hero with extreme powers, sidekick tagging along yadda yadda there you have the basic set up for any overpowerd hero anime (aka hokuto no ken etc etc)
First 2 books have been released in france and they havent thrilled me yet. wasnt caught by surprise on any plots. stereotypical speach from the hero(ine).
Animationwise the show is good hope they can keep up the quality.
giving it a 3/10 on story cause author could have been slightly more ambitious.
giving it a 8/10 on animation quality.

You know I would have to agree with you for the first few volumes of Claymore I thought it was alright but nothing I would call great storywise. But then when it gets to Thersa's arc that's when it really starts to take off. I was certain the manga would be nothing more than a "monster of the week" type of manga but I was sorely wrong on that.

Sorta like Berserk manga when it began the first two volumes were nothing great storywise mostly mindless action/gore going on but in the mid part of Vol 3 it starts to get good storywise. Don't give up on Claymore! You end up regreting it because on how it good it ends up.

Quote:
Berserk truly shine when it get into Guts' past. Before that, some people just deemed as "Hokuto no Ken" gets a huge sword and meets "The Blood and The Flesh ", and I am speaking from personal experience because I got a lot of troubles to get my friends to read it because of that.

So I would not be so fast at judging the thing just from reading the two first volumes.
Exactly. Looks like people who have read past vol 2 will lose the mindset that Claymore is nothing more then a "Hokuto no Ken" type of manga when it's not.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2007-04-06 at 22:15.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 14:13   Link #306
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
After one episode, there are a couple of points which you can realistically judge. Quality of the seiyuus, for example. And also the technical merits of a show (animation, character designs, music - and even all that can be misleading in ep1). But anything beyond that, particularly plot and characters of non-comedy shows, take at least 3 (if not 5-6) episodes before you can cast a credible judgement on. Whoever does that after 1 episode is completely oblivious.
This is very true of non-comedy shows. It would have been silly to judge Rumbling Hearts or Twelve Kingdoms or Monster on the merits of just the first episode. Likewise, it's more reasonable to wait for more material before judging Claymore. So far, I think that Kuwashima Houko is doing a great job, but that's only to be expected.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:38   Link #307
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Thumbs up Scene 01 - Claymore

FIRST THOUGHTS

With the insurmountable quota of gore and blood geysers splattering about every inch of the camera, coupled with a mature argument full of intricated and elaborated characters it is a given that Claymore would become a coveted target for licensing for the following quarter of the year.

This is fantasy-horror inclined to the themes of brutality and desolation set up in a medieval environment. The horrifying aspect for Claymore is that the gore scenes are made more hallucinating and surreal with more efficiency thanks to the effects and contrasts with the lighting. The light is greatly juxtaposed by shades of red hues and shadows.

In fact, the overall environment even on daylight looks depressing and foreboding, adding much more a sense of fear for supernatural creatures about to strike or pounce from where one least expects it.

For the design of the characters there are a bit shabby for my preferences, but I hold praise for the stylization of the faces, expressing rich emotions for anger, disdain, frustration, and solace trapped within a sour smile of composure; this is a befitting description for Clare and her species.

Episode one starts with a bang, but it turns with slight predictability once the audience is alerted to the nearby presence of the Claymore. I greatly think this show tries to test our common sense and judgement to tell apart which person is who she or he claims to be.

But, did you pay attention that all the human characters are male and the Claymore are the only females, at least as the first episode hold this depiction?

What may they hint at? That females are able to turn into Claymore when certain requirements are met?, or is it more logical to assume that this Claymore are all borned females from their inception?

The supernatural violence and doomsday aura makes Claymore a solid competitor to Berserk. In fact, the forsaken Claymore characters (more in particular Clare) bears great resemblance to D from Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust in terms of traumatic loneliness.

I have a bad feeling, that this anime is going to satiate with lots of silent pauses at every episode making me feel uncomfortable. But I guess this is the way how they handle the psychology for silent characters like Clare in order for us to grow attach to them.

As for last, I knew I recognized the artist once the OP song rocked. It is Nightmare performing Raison D' Etre. The releases for this goth-rock band are quickly catching my interest.

My favorite, however, is the ED them by Riyu Hosaka. Danzai no Hana~Guilty Sky is a beautiful organ rendition filled with medieval motifs and an aura for what is forbidden and cursed.

Trivia: BTW, the seiyuu for Raki's brother was none other than Akira Ishida.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:39   Link #308
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I have given up trying to figure what shows get their own sub-forum. We had shows like Simoun, StaPoni and Strain, which comes close to 100 post/per avg. All three shows don't have sub-forums yet shows like AMG, Monster, Assate and pumpkin has maybe 20-30 post/ep and those shows have their own sub-forums.

I sometime think the mods use a dart board to determind which shows get its own sub-forum.
As much as I like Claymore series, I think it is too early to say sub-forum is needed. You cannot predict a series's popularity based on the number of posts of its first ep. A lot of posts were merely produced in reponse of some first-time-viewers' prejudgement. Wait and see. When story reachs Teresa arc., those non-manga-viewers decide either leave or get interested, the number of posts per ep. surly goes down. Claymore isn't like Ghost Hunt which has much more room for speculation.

BTW Ghost Hunt is another series required a sub-forum but don't get. It has over 1700 anime posts plus over 500 manga posts.


As for ep.1, I don't have much to say. The first few eps are just introductory eps. It seems to me the story is moving quite fast(perhaps only manga readers understand what I mean, since this feeling is only based we know how many manga chaps. being covered in one ep.). Story may get into its meat sooner than I had thought, but until then, there are still at least 3 or 4 weeks. Animation-wise, I think it's well-done, hope they can keep it.
__________________
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:49   Link #309
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yuri Land
Age: 28
Hmm..after watching the episode for the 10 th time (God forbid me) I think the whole music is starting to grow upon me. I m really starting to like the OP and ED which i didnt like in the first hearing. I am simply falling more and more in love with this anime. Even if the first episode wasnt a classic, the manga already rocked so much, and the animation has lived up so well, that i think i am losing my sanity. I m a total Clare maniac and am simply loving every moment watching her. I think I can watch this episode atleast 20 more times and still not be bored by it.

BTW..any announcement yet whether it is 24 or 26 episodes???
__________________
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:55   Link #310
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post

As for ep.1, I don't have much to say. The first few eps are just introductory eps. It seems to me the story is moving quite fast(perhaps only manga readers understand what I mean, since this feeling is only based we know how many manga chaps. being covered in one ep.). Story may get into its meat sooner than I had thought, but until then, there are still at least 3 or 4 weeks. Animation-wise, I think it's well-done, hope they can keep it.
I disagree with you. Whereas what you said is certainly true for some shows which barely start like, for example, D.Gray-man and Chrono Crusade beginning with a pilot episode to introduce the main leads as your typical happy & go-lucky, misadventurous heroes and then have them dragged into the very first fight to reveal partially their powers.
In some of those series they'll usually meet with a local girl of the town who is dragged into the mess as well and from her point of view gets to witness the true colors of the lead character. By the end, the trouble is settled and the stranger-type lead character goes from the town to his or her next mission, leaving the local girl behind with a smile or farewell. The same happened at the very start of Trinity Blood.

For the start of Claymore, they clearly established Clare as going straightforward to the root of the problem without social interactions and quite few exchanges. It is not until through interacting with Raki that a tiny bit of her personality begins to stir up at the end of the first episode, which I think this is more of an exploration and advancement to develop the main lead rather than just introducing and describing the character.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:01   Link #311
Honey_and_Cleaver
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Do you think sooner, there be more different kind of mosters instead of the same Venus Versus Virus type demons? I was expecting some damn scary slimy demons, instead the first impressions i get is the demons from Gensomaden Saiyuki.

Yeah Claire really is like Saber and Raki is like Emiya Shiro . Claire also reminds me of Lucy and Raki being Kouta from Elfen Lied.
__________________
LOLIKON STRATOS! TA-RU-GE-TO! NARAI DE UTZEEEEYYYY!


Current Anime following: Gundam 00, Goshuushi-sama Ninomiya-kun, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, Night Wizard, Dragonout the Resonance, Minami-Ke, Shion no Ou, Shugo no Chara!, BLUE DROP, Rental Magica, Kimikiss pure rogue, Moyashimon,Majin Tantei Nourgami Neuro,Clannad
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:01   Link #312
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
FIRST THOUGHTS



But, did you pay attention that all the human characters are male and the Claymore are the only females, at least as the first episode hold this depiction?

What may they hint at? That females are able to turn into Claymore when certain requirements are met?, or is it more logical to assume that this Claymore are all borned females from their inception?
I somewhat answer those questions in a pervious post

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=194

if you have any other questions. Ask in the manga thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Do you think sooner, there be more different kind of mosters instead of the same Venus Versus Virus type demons? I was expecting some damn scary slimy demons, instead the first impressions i get is the demons from Gensomaden Saiyuki.

Yeah Claire really is like Saber and Raki is like Emiya Shiro . Claire also reminds me of Lucy and Raki being Kouta from Elfen Lied.

There are other types and you will more varity. Just wait till the Therase arc. Form seeing how fast the pacing is, I am guessing about Ep8 is when we get to see the other types of demons.

And Funny you mention Lucy as there is a future character that is very much like Lucy.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:13   Link #313
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I disagree with you. Whereas what you said is certainly true for some shows which barely start like, for example, D.Gray-man and Chrono Crusade beginning with a pilot episode to introduce the main leads as your typical happy & go-lucky, misadventurous heroes and then have them dragged into the very first fight to reveal partially their powers.
In some of those series they'll usually meet with a local girl of the town who is dragged into the mess as well and from her point of view gets to witness the true colors of the lead character. By the end, the trouble is settled and the stranger-type lead character goes from the town to his or her next mission, leaving the local girl behind with a smile or farewell. The same happened at the very start of Trinity Blood.

For the start of Claymore, they clearly established Clare as going straightforward to the root of the problem without social interactions and quite few exchanges. It is not until through interacting with Raki that a tiny bit of her personality begins to stir up at the end of the first episode, which I think this is more of an exploration and advancement to develop the main lead rather than just introducing and describing the character.
Spoiler:
My bad. I am sorry. I said it only because things happen in ep.1 aren't new to me and I am not quite interested in this part. So, yes, you are right. Not only introduction, some hints for future (and past) events are also there. However, I suspect they are probably different from what you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
But, did you pay attention that all the human characters are male
No, you may need a rewatch. Though human males are showed much more than females, there ARE human females.
Spoiler for screenshots:
__________________

Last edited by herbert; 2007-04-06 at 17:35.
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:18   Link #314
Honey_and_Cleaver
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I
And Funny you mention Lucy as there is a future character that is very much like Lucy.
Yeah,but i hope next time when they make an anime with a Lucy/Claire type character, there better be no nerd following her.

If its Yuri, id be happy, if its a capable guy next to her, thats even better.
__________________
LOLIKON STRATOS! TA-RU-GE-TO! NARAI DE UTZEEEEYYYY!


Current Anime following: Gundam 00, Goshuushi-sama Ninomiya-kun, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, Night Wizard, Dragonout the Resonance, Minami-Ke, Shion no Ou, Shugo no Chara!, BLUE DROP, Rental Magica, Kimikiss pure rogue, Moyashimon,Majin Tantei Nourgami Neuro,Clannad
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:30   Link #315
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
If its Yuri, id be happy, if its a capable guy next to her, thats even better.
Well, she gets both a nerd and a capable guy lol
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:43   Link #316
Seska
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 41
Wow, i just saw yesterday the Raw.... hope they can keep this up
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:28   Link #317
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
First a few minor points...
Well, at least this one has a good reason why they are all girls. Really! Personally I have simply gotten so used to teams of tough femmes in anime that I didn't give it a second thought. Still, when I found out that there was a reason related to a basic difference between men and women, I was somewhat impressed. (No, don't try to blindly guess which difference since I doubt you'll figure it out without a lot more info.)

Also, there is a meaning behind the eye change. It isn't only for effect.

It is exactly as you suspect. Of course, all these things are unimportant. I think you know well that it doesn't matter if there is a good plot related reason for such details. These details are so minor that they can hardly inspire any strong feeling for a show, either positive or negative.

This is the only thing I cannot rebut. Personal preference will always play a strong part in what you like. Perhaps episodes 2 or 3 will change your mind, but perhaps you just don't like this show. There is no show so awesome that somebody will completely fail to enjoy it. If you dislike it, then by all means don't waste your time.



I'm not sure why people keep posting here to say that they don't like Claymore when their reasons are so minor. If you don't like something just because it doesn't grab you, then it really isn't worth posting about. If you just want to be reassured that there is a lot of interesting things to come, then all you need is the tons of people who read the manga saying that you are just scratching the surface. Everything has already been said. In the meantime, please chill and wait, or just get out of the pond. We can't prove you will like this show. Even if a majority of people liked this first episode, that is no sort of reason to mean you should like it.

I find myself puzzled at why there is such a vocal minority who seem to feel it necessary to express their strong disappoint with Claymore. Is it because you feel betrayed by a show since you disliked it after so many supports have led you to believe it is divinely inspired? This show is certainly not divinely inspired no matter how good it is so I am sorry you feel betrayed by it.
I understand where you are coming from but people are gonna want to share why their views on what disappointed them about the show. Maybe they had high expectations and it let it down or like you said personal preference. I by no means hated the show the first episode just didnt leave a strong impression on me. I have started out not liking a few shows from the first episode but by the end i loved it. I think i really just posted generalizations but left them open enough to be discussed. But I do agree after 5 or 6 episodes if people are still bitching then its not constructive. Im hoping i do warm up to it because the story has so much potential. But only time will tell and if i drop it i certainly wont post why i hated and go on a rant. Ill just stop but thanks for your feedback your comments showed me even potential for the show.
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 22:28   Link #318
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Arrow A healthy discussion can tolerate dissent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
But I do agree after 5 or 6 episodes if people are still bitching then its not constructive.
Yeah, I think discussion should allow for voices that don't agree, but when people stop watching, and continue to post comments about how they "can't believe people are still talking about this worthless crap", it starts to tick me off. Then again, without those folks I would probably never get to use the IGNORE feature.

Anyways, I'm interested enough in the series to continue watching it, but that doesn't make Claymore the best series of all time. If someone has a problem with an episode, I'm not afraid to see them comment on it here, especially if they can be more specific than "that suxored!"
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 23:28   Link #319
negativeone
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GTA Canada
Age: 23
i just saw episode one and it was pretty much what i was expecting, but it wasn't as good as i thougth it would be. and the character design looks so.... for the lack of a better word ugly, and not to mention the backgrounds, but other than that i really enjoyed it and besides i am more interested it the past of Clare and about her journey with Raki than the backgrounds

i give the first episode a 4/5 ranking
__________________
C:\Documents and Settings\Carlos Portillo\My Documents\My Pictures\gurrenrz7.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.
negativeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 02:17   Link #320
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
You're not going to see a Claymore Forum tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
NoSanninWa, you seem to know at least part of the story. I believe it would be very helpful to have a seperate board, particularly for discussion of the implications of the revelations of the first "Miria" arc (vol5-6, if my memory serves me right). It definitely caused me to reevaluate everything which happened before, and I'll be looking for clues in the anime version leading up to it. How about it?
I'd love to do this, but we have to wait a bit longer before we can decide if this thread has the statistics to warrant a whole forum. It's tough to take away such a thing if we grant it foolishly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I have given up trying to figure what shows get their own sub-forum. We had shows like Simoun, StaPoni and Strain, which comes close to 100 post/per avg. All three shows don't have sub-forums yet shows like AMG, Monster, Assate and pumpkin has maybe 20-30 post/ep and those shows have their own sub-forums.
Those first shows you mention don't have enough posts per day to get a forum. We check the numbers; we know. Assate and Pumpkin Scissors had a lot of discussion early on which evaporated after they got their own forums. We really wish we hadn't given a forum to Pumpkin Scissors, but who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
As much as I like Claymore series, I think it is too early to say sub-forum is needed. You cannot predict a series's popularity based on the number of posts of its first ep. A lot of posts were merely produced in reponse of some first-time-viewers' prejudgement. Wait and see. When story reachs Teresa arc., those non-manga-viewers decide either leave or get interested, the number of posts per ep. surly goes down.
Quite right. I'm glad that someone gets it... Though as a fan of the manga, I really do hope that Claymore proves popular enough in the long term to earn a forum here.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.